Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes -- Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:46 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

Legarrette Blount ceiling.  Has almost zero lateral agility and will make for a good RBBC candidate with 1st/2nd down responsibilities and goalline carries.  He's a poor man's Leonard Fournette, and shouldn't be drafted higher than the 5th round.  Has some decent speed, but nothing special.  He's more cut out for a power blocking scheme.  He's got the most impressive stiff arm out of anyone in the class, perhaps better than Fournette in that area.  He's very decisive - to a fault at times (see next paragraph).  He has the frame to take on blocking duties, but he was pretty poor at it in 1-on-1 situations in the games I watched.  

He doesn't set up his blockers particularly well which is evidenced by how he prematurely puts his head down and just bangs through the hole, limiting his ability to gain yards after contact.  So while it's great that he's a banger running back, he could be even more effective but for his lack of lateral agility and his sometimes premature decisiveness.  

The good news for him is that he is a powerful back and there is a place for him in the NFL, but he needs to be used in downhill situations and he probably shouldn't be doing much lateral running.  He needs to improve his patience, but anyone who takes him in will need to put him in a position where he has little reading duties and can just take the handoff and go - power up the middle plays, inside zone plays and even read option.  His lack of versatility though is his biggest issue.

I admit to only watching him in a few games.  One in particular against Ohio State, but I have to disagree with a few of your statements.  He sure looked like he had lateral agility and impressive speed. 

He will be drafted higher than the 5th, even with his off the field issues.  I'm not going to start giving him excuses for what he did, it was appalling.  But I do think kids deserve second chances. 

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I admit to only watching him in a few games.  One in particular against Ohio State, but I have to disagree with a few of your statements.  He sure looked like he had lateral agility and impressive speed. 

He will be drafted higher than the 5th, even with his off the field issues.  I'm not going to start giving him excuses for what he did, it was appalling.  But I do think kids deserve second chances. 

Talking about Jamaal Williams, not Joe Mixon.

On 2017-02-28 at 8:31 AM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Would really love to get him guy is my 2nd favorite back behind only Fournette. This kid screams Leveon Bell I wanted Bell toof being a MSU fan.

2nd this. 

On 2017-02-28 at 1:07 AM, Superman said:

Sophomore RB who has had several off field issues.

What other issues are there with him other that the video.  I'm been under the impression that he has kept his nose clean since then. 

Feel like everybody has given Davin Cook a free pass because his incident wasn't caught on video. 

3 minutes ago, polk_high_allstar said:

What other issues are there with him other that the video.  I'm been under the impression that he has kept his nose clean since then. 

Feel like everybody has given Davin Cook a free pass because his incident wasn't caught on video. 

Cook was found not guilty. The story -- which no one really knows, but it's the story -- is that he didn't hit the girl, one of his road buddies did. Might be a #fallguy situation, but we don't know. I don't think he's getting a pass. I think most people are convinced he didn't hit her.

There's no doubt that Joe Mixon did what he did, because it's on video. 

Mixon also got into a heated altercation with a parking attendant just a few months ago. I think it's safe to say he has a little bit of a hot temper.

Man, This guys hands are incredibly soft. I see players like this coming out of college having a hard time doing well, because of their inability to run fearless between the gaps. How he was able to do all that against Texas Tech, I have no Idea, but it was impressive.

But I think in the NFL, he going to be a 3.5 YPA guy or lower. And he looks like his 40 time wont be too impressive. either. I wouldn't pick him before the 3rd. I wouldn't expect a lot out of him, but obviously, with the right scheme, he can be a play maker.

Check out 6:30-6:45 to see what I mean in this video http://draftbreakdown.com/video/joe-mixon-vs-texas-tech-2016/

He's a shuffler. Shufflers don't do good in the NFL.

He looks decent blocking, didn't see a lot of it in the Texas A&M Game. But yea. I think he can be serviceable in any case with those hands.

2 hours ago, polk_high_allstar said:

Dalvin Cook's past scares me. He has been found not guilty of everything, but when you're a superstar football player, that doesn't mean you didn't do it. He's been arrested on burglary & gun charges, cited for mistreating puppies, and arrested for hitting a 21 year old woman in the face multiple times. Guilty or not, those are bigger red flags to me than Mixon's. Mixon had that one big incident and tore up a parking ticket in front of the person giving it to him.

One surrounds himself with the wrong people and has made multiple bad decisons, the other is a hothead kid that otherwise has glowing reviews from peers, teammates, and coaches and has undergone anger management therapy. I'd rather have Mixon in the 3rd or 4th than Cook in the 1st.

I'm all for giving people 2nd chances when they do dumb stuff when they're young and dumb and whatever, but that video.  Yikes!  It's very difficult to get past that.  If Ballard is serious about him I'm sure he'll do his homework and it will work out either way.

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

I'm all for giving people 2nd chances when they do dumb stuff when they're young and dumb and whatever, but that video.  Yikes!  It's very difficult to get past that.  If Ballard is serious about him I'm sure he'll do his homework and it will work out either way.

It definitely would be a PR nightmare. If they take him, they will have done their due diligence and will be able to defend their pick. I'd honestly rather have Mixon over Cook for the sole reason that at least Mixon was held accountable and had to suffer the consequences of his actions. Cook (if he did the things he was charged with) has been let off the hook and never been forced to take responsibility. Those types are time bombs...

On 2/28/2017 at 8:09 PM, BOTT said:

Punching a woman and having a substance abuse problem are two very different things.

It's more likely for a person with a substance abuse problems to relapse and have a recurring problem than it is for a guy like Mixon to hit another woman in the face.

Donestic violence and a single act of violence against a random woman (who allegedly called him racial slurs) are two different things. One is a recurring problem, the other is an isolated incident. Neither are right.

On 2/28/2017 at 4:00 AM, LJpalmbeacher said:

But with Irsay's past and lifestyle wouldn't it be so hypocritical for us to lose out on such a talent and steal of maybe getting Mixon in the 3rd or later?

What woman did irsay punch and break bones in her face?  Dumb comparison

19 hours ago, Freeupfreeney said:

Man, This guys hands are incredibly soft. I see players like this coming out of college having a hard time doing well, because of their inability to run fearless between the gaps. How he was able to do all that against Texas Tech, I have no Idea, but it was impressive.

But I think in the NFL, he going to be a 3.5 YPA guy or lower. And he looks like his 40 time wont be too impressive. either. I wouldn't pick him before the 3rd. I wouldn't expect a lot out of him, but obviously, with the right scheme, he can be a play maker.

Check out 6:30-6:45 to see what I mean in this video http://draftbreakdown.com/video/joe-mixon-vs-texas-tech-2016/

He looks decent blocking, didn't see a lot of it in the Texas A&M Game. But yea. I think he can be serviceable in any case with those hands.

To the bolded: I REALLY hope you meant that as a typo, because Texas Tech was, and is routinely, in the 100's in just about every defensive category. That's not a knock on Mixon, but TT is terrible.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

That's not true at all.

Um, yes it is. No matter how insanely good Reggie Bush was (in my opinion, he was the best college player I've ever seen play college ball) all that shuffling and scattering in the backfield means a 3.2 YPA.

I mean, you did watch Trent Richardson didn't you.

Shufflers never do good in the NFL, because the speed is increased significantly, and they are use to having time to choose a whole in college, and that luxury disappears in the NFL.

51 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

To the bolded: I REALLY hope you meant that as a typo, because Texas Tech was, and is routinely, in the 100's in just about every defensive category. That's not a knock on Mixon, but TT is terrible.

I wasn't saying it like Texas Tech D was increadible. I just mean, how was he able to break free when he was constantly surrounded by people. He wasn't necessarily throwing people off him. Impressive though none the less. But I've only watch this one film. I'll let Super handle the RB.

1 hour ago, Freeupfreeney said:

Um, yes it is. No matter how insanely good Reggie Bush was (in my opinion, he was the best college player I've ever seen play college ball) all that shuffling and scattering in the backfield means a 3.2 YPA.

I mean, you did watch Trent Richardson didn't you.

Shufflers never do good in the NFL, because the speed is increased significantly, and they are use to having time to choose a whole in college, and that luxury disappears in the NFL.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. He doesn't run like Reggie Bush, nor is he as electric as Bush was. And Bush averaged 4.3 YPC over his career, flirting with 5 YPC at his best. 

He also doesn't run like Richardson, who was indecisive and sluggish, and often missed opportunities to pick up yardage.

You're also ignoring probably the best RB in the league right now, since we're offering anecdotal evidence. Le'Veon Bell is the epitome of a "shuffler," and he's doing alright. There are other examples of good to great backs who "shuffle" in the backfield. Most of them know when to be patient and when to cut their losses. That's a veteran trait that I wouldn't expect out of a college back.

Mixon will have to be more decisive and he'll have to follow the design of the play, especially if he's in a man scheme, but having a specific hole to hit will help him be more effective. He'd have a tougher adjustment period if he were in a stretch zone scheme, and would probably be more prone to negative plays. 

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

It's more likely for a person with a substance abuse problems to relapse and have a recurring problem than it is for a guy like Mixon to hit another woman in the face.

Donestic violence and a single act of violence against a random woman (who allegedly called him racial slurs) are two different things. One is a recurring problem, the other is an isolated incident. Neither are right.

The lengths people will go.....

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. He doesn't run like Reggie Bush, nor is he as electric as Bush was. And Bush averaged 4.3 YPC over his career, flirting with 5 YPC at his best. 

He also doesn't run like Richardson, who was indecisive and sluggish, and often missed opportunities to pick up yardage.

You're also ignoring probably the best RB in the league right now, since we're offering anecdotal evidence. Le'Veon Bell is the epitome of a "shuffler," and he's doing alright. There are other examples of good to great backs who "shuffle" in the backfield. Most of them know when to be patient and when to cut their losses. That's a veteran trait that I wouldn't expect out of a college back.

Mixon will have to be more decisive and he'll have to follow the design of the play, especially if he's in a man scheme, but having a specific hole to hit will help him be more effective. He'd have a tougher adjustment period if he were in a stretch zone scheme, and would probably be more prone to negative plays. 

Maybe u right, but u know shufflers don't do good on our team with our line. 

Do you think his running style would fit our offense, considering the past. 

And it took bush a few years to raise that average. 

2 minutes ago, Freeupfreeney said:

Maybe u right, but u know shufflers don't do good on our team with our line. 

Do you think his running style would fit our offense, considering the past. 

And it took bush a few years to raise that average. 

In the meantime, Bush was catching 70 passes a year. I'm okay with that.

I don't know that any back would have had considerable success behind the Colts line in years past. I am operating under the assumption -- perhaps naively -- that the line will be better in the run game. I think Joe Philbin will continue to coach a mix of man and zone concepts, and I think any back the Colts roster will need to be able to figure out both. Mixon would be a fit, IMO.

My problem is more with the play calling, and I'm not sure Chud and Chuck have gameplans that will make the best use of a guy with his skill set. Same with McCaffrey. I want the Colts to have a scatback kind of guy who can make plays in both phases, but the Colts don't use their backs well, particularly in the passing game, so I'm not sure it would matter.

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

What woman did irsay punch and break bones in her face?  Dumb comparison

Mixon made a in the spur of the moment a reactionary bad decision.

Irsay has been making bad decisions for decades, including driving under the influence and putting innocent lives in danger not to mention breaking up a marriage and a home with 3 kids.

It is a Dumb comparison.

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Irsay has been making bad decisions for decades, including driving under the influence and putting innocent lives in danger not to mention breaking up a marriage and a home with 3 kids.

It is a Dumb comparison.

Good god, stop already.  Just say you believe Mixon deserves a 2nd chance and leave it at that.

56 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

It is a Dumb comparison.

I agree,  it's a dumb comparison.  I'm glad you came to the same conclusion

On 2/28/2017 at 9:46 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

Legarrette Blount ceiling.  Has almost zero lateral agility and will make for a good RBBC candidate with 1st/2nd down responsibilities and goalline carries.  He's a poor man's Leonard Fournette, and shouldn't be drafted higher than the 5th round.  Has some decent speed, but nothing special.  He's more cut out for a power blocking scheme.  He's got the most impressive stiff arm out of anyone in the class, perhaps better than Fournette in that area.  He's very decisive - to a fault at times (see next paragraph).  He has the frame to take on blocking duties, but he was pretty poor at it in 1-on-1 situations in the games I watched.  

He doesn't set up his blockers particularly well which is evidenced by how he prematurely puts his head down and just bangs through the hole, limiting his ability to gain yards after contact.  So while it's great that he's a banger running back, he could be even more effective but for his lack of lateral agility and his sometimes premature decisiveness.  

The good news for him is that he is a powerful back and there is a place for him in the NFL, but he needs to be used in downhill situations and he probably shouldn't be doing much lateral running.  He needs to improve his patience, but anyone who takes him in will need to put him in a position where he has little reading duties and can just take the handoff and go - power up the middle plays, inside zone plays and even read option.  His lack of versatility though is his biggest issue.

I seriously doubt you've watched his film if this is your analysis. Zero lateral agility? Fine I'll leave it alone. He doesn't set up blocks? What are you looking at if he doesn't set up blocks?? In Every game you can find him showing patience starting one way and cutting up off the block he just created. Couldn't be more wrong. He's a pure power back?? When was the guy running ppl over? That's his flaw he doesn't run behind his pads, he runs straight up, and his legs sometimes go dead on contact. His lack of versatility?????? Please re evaluate Joe Mixon, the most versatile back in the draft with the best pure hands and also one of the better route runners of the RBs. Doesn't block extremely well but has the frame to improve. I disagree with your entire analysis

On 3/1/2017 at 4:10 PM, Freeupfreeney said:

Hahaha he's a shuffler this guy says!! Its called patience smart guy. And BTW on that play you mentioned he gets terrible blocking and still finds a crease and gains 6 yards. Because of all that "shuffling":billiejean:

10 hours ago, Tmoney said:

I seriously doubt you've watched his film if this is your analysis. Zero lateral agility? Fine I'll leave it alone. He doesn't set up blocks? What are you looking at if he doesn't set up blocks?? In Every game you can find him showing patience starting one way and cutting up off the block he just created. Couldn't be more wrong. He's a pure power back?? When was the guy running ppl over? That's his flaw he doesn't run behind his pads, he runs straight up, and his legs sometimes go dead on contact. His lack of versatility?????? Please re evaluate Joe Mixon, the most versatile back in the draft with the best pure hands and also one of the better route runners of the RBs. Doesn't block extremely well but has the frame to improve. I disagree with your entire analysis

Why don't you re-read the comment I made and the one I was replying to so that you know who I was talking about before making a tool of yourself.  Hint - I wasn't talking about Joe Mixon.

On 3/2/2017 at 8:38 AM, Defjamz26 said:

That is simply not true.  The point is they are willing to be violent toward women, so even if they hit a woman in public, that may be an isolated incident as to THAT woman.  But the problem isn't the one isolated incident, the problem is the mindset that it is okay to hit women, which who knows what he does behind closed doors.  I'm not saying Mixon is that guy.  I have no evidence of it, but the reason teams take Mixon off their draftboards completely is because of hte mindset, not the isolated incident, which is a symptom of the mindset.

If a drunkard drinks again and gets arrested when you thought he was done  and he's on your team. It's not likely to have every major network and outlets like TMZ covering the story and disrupting your locker room like you will with a guy with a Domestic Abuse issue like breaking the bones in a womans jaw.  If Mixon did that again the Media Hawks would be all over this team for the entire season.  I don't think Irsay should view the two in the same light.   I'm not necessarily saying don't draft Mixon, but I just have a gut feeling Irsay will pass considering all the negative media attention we've had over the last two seasons. And like I said before Pagano knows Ray Rice very well and I don't recall him ever lobbying to get him on this team at any point after the incident was well over.   That doesn't mean that I know 100 percent that he didn't try, but I know he has two daughters.   Ballard might lobby for it, but I think between Irsay and Pagano they'll probably shoot it down.

Such a odd situation. One day everyone wants "equality" for males and females. The next day, that goes out the window. Society is messed up. She called him an N word(pretty big deal for most) and shoved him when he tried to walk away. If equality was real, she would have been charged. I wouldn't hit a woman but, let's not act like Joe just punched a girl for no reason. 

12 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Such a odd situation. One day everyone wants "equality" for males and females. The next day, that goes out the window. Society is messed up. She called him an N word(pretty big deal for most) and shoved him when he tried to walk away. If equality was real, she would have been charged. I wouldn't hit a woman but, let's not act like Joe just punched a girl for no reason. 

"Equality" does not mean identical.  Saying men and women are the same is the stupidest thing anyone could ever say.  They give birth.  We don't.  Men are generally physically stronger.   So when a man physically overpowers a woman and gets charged because he causes far more physical damage than the women ever did, there is justification in that.  

It's one thing to scream for equal rights - voting power, equal pay, not disenfranchised because of gender differences - that makes sense, should make sense to everyone.  But just because that's true doesn't mean we should ignore the physical differences between the two which are obvious in the vast majority of cases.  In the smae logic, when people treat women differently in a way that has no bearing on the physical differences between men and women, thats just as much of a travesty as treating men and women equally without any regard to their physical differences.

It's a fine line to walk and everyone screws it up from time to time, it's one of the reasons marriage (traditional marriage that is, cna't speak toward homosexual marriage) so damn hard.  But I'm a believer that our differences can be our greatest strength...but at that point, I'm getting off topic and getting preachy...

24 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Yeah but you can't punch everybody in the face each time they call you something you don't like or that is disrespectful.   I can see why Joe would have been mad, but I guarantee you for whatever team he plays for one of these crazy fans is going to call him something close to the N word if he drops a pass or doesn't run for enough yards.   Should he jump in the stands and punch them out as well?   What we'd want to know from Joe Mixon here is how will you handle somebody disrespecting you going forward because the pressure and behavior of random people in the NFL is more harsh than in College.   In most cases all you can do is say something back to whoever called you the name.  If it's a female you really are screwed if you get physical with them unless you can prove they came after you with a weapon or something that threatened your life.    I'm down with picking him up if they are fully convinced he knows a better way to respond to the situation. Emphasis on fully convinced.  I'm just skeptical Irsay and Pagano are going to be on board.

6 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

"Equality" does not mean identical.  Saying men and women are the same is the stupidest thing anyone could ever say.  They give birth.  We don't.  Men are generally physically stronger.   So when a man physically overpowers a woman and gets charged because he causes far more physical damage than the women ever did, there is justification in that.  

It's one thing to scream for equal rights - voting power, equal pay, not disenfranchised because of gender differences - that makes sense, should make sense to everyone.  But just because that's true doesn't mean we should ignore the physical differences between the two which are obvious in the vast majority of cases.  In the smae logic, when people treat women differently in a way that has no bearing on the physical differences between men and women, thats just as much of a travesty as treating men and women equally without any regard to their physical differences.

It's a fine line to walk and everyone screws it up from time to time, it's one of the reasons marriage (traditional marriage that is, cna't speak toward homosexual marriage) so damn hard.  But I'm a believer that our differences can be our greatest strength...but at that point, I'm getting off topic and getting preachy...

I'm not the one screaming for equality. But there sure is a ton that are. 

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah but you can't punch everybody in the face each time they call you something you don't like or that is disrespectful.   I can see why Joe would have been mad, but I guarantee you for whatever team he plays for one of these crazy fans is going to call him something close to the N word if he drops a pass or doesn't run for enough yards.   Should he jump in the stands and punch them out as well?   What we'd want to know from Joe Mixon here is how will you handle somebody disrespecting you going forward because the pressure and behavior of random people in the NFL is more harsh than in College.   In most cases all you can do is say something back to whoever called you the name.  If it's a female you really are screwed if you get physical with them unless you can prove they came after you with a weapon or something that threatened your life.    I'm down with picking him up if they are fully convinced he knows a better way to respond to the situation. Emphasis on fully convinced.  I'm just skeptical Irsay and Pagano are going to be on board.

Yeah I got you. But she assaulted him, also. When he tried to walk away. Yeah it was just a shove, but that's still putting your hands on someone. Not justifying Joes actions, just adding some more insight. 

3 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I'm not the one screaming for equality. But there sure is a ton that are. 

A lot of what people are doing today is just screaming for the sake of screaming.  Nothing's really changed, much less affected them, but a new president steps into power and you'd think he just decreed all people who have ever been the subject of unfairness be thrown into the flames.

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

She assaulted him, also. Yeah it was just a shove, but that's still putting your hands on someone. Not justifying Joes actions, just adding some more insight. 

Yeah but we know it won't be looked at in the same way.  Women get emotional and angry all the time and want to or do shove you or slap at you.  Doesn't matter what color woman, they all do that.  If you respond by punching them out then all the police are going to do is put the handcuffs on you.  That little shove won't sway their decision making much.  Unless there was weapon involved.

Detroit has already come out and stated they wished he was at the combine. They have said they have him on their board, and are interested. I am going to say since he is still a kid, most will keep him on their board, and if he is BPA in 2nd round with 1st round grade, he will be gone. You think if Jerry Jones, before he had Zeke, would not have taken him. Look at the guys he has taken in the 2nd with baggage. Mixon's baggage is the worst, but I think it will be sold as how young he was, and the strides he has made. The PR machine will be humming along for whatever team takes him.

Two years ago, people did not think Peters would go as early as he did for fighting with coaches and getting thrown off the team. Ultimately talent, plus a very good investigation by Ballard led to a huge talent not getting away. I would be shocked if he does not get taken in 2nd round.

As much of a question mark he is off the field, the reason I love him so much is because of the last 2 players drafted that are built like him. 

The last two skilled route-running and pass catching backs who can do damage up the middle and outside weighing around 225 and standing 6'1" tall?

LeVeon Bell and David Johnson!

We all know how well they play...

17 hours ago, Superman said:

Bell and Johnson both are that way and are the best 2 backs in the league imo Shady McCoy too been a "shuffler" his whole career