Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes -- Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/28/2017 at 8:47 PM, Superman said:

I hate gif makers, so I won't post any gifs, but there are several plays I've watched where he just ran past from the entire defense. Maybe he doesn't run a great 40, but I think his top gear is more than adequate. 

Coming back to eat a little crow here.  Apparently he ran a 4.43 at his pro day.  I'm not normally too far off, but I was really bad wrong here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2697592-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-joe-mixons-draft-stock-is-surprisingly-rising

1. Joe Mixon's Rehab Effort Is Working

In a recent meeting with an NFL franchise, Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon was asked a simple question: Why did you do it? 

Mixon's answer, a team official told Bleacher Report, was contemplative and thoughtful. And while the official wouldn't tell B/R exactly what Mixon said, he felt Mixon's answer was sincere.

Mixon's willingness in recent weeks to address the character issues that have swirled around him after he was caught on video punching a woman in the face has transformed his image, according to that team official. Not just within that team, but around much of the league.

Indeed, people around the NFL now tell me Mixon is moving up draft boards.

It's long been believed that Mixon, like Ray Rice, would suffer because his assault was caught on video, and that video would embarrass any team that drafted him. Thus, he either wouldn't be drafted or he'd be selected late. Several team officials say at least four franchises have removed Mixon from their draft boards.

But the narrative around Mixon seems to be changing.

Now, remember the first and only rule of Draft Club: Everyone lies about Draft Club. So if team officials say Mixon's draft stock is rising, well, it may not be.

But in this case, I believe Mixon's rise is accurate. He seems to be impressing teams with his sincerity. Teams that once feared taking him are no longer as scared to do so.

Not only is his draft stock improving, but some teams say no player is moving up draft boards faster than Mixon. Apparently he's checking every box as he meets with various franchises.

Mixon might now go as high as the second round. Some even believe the late first round is in play. (Still, remember the first rule of Draft Club.) 

There are still teams who are highly uncomfortable with Mixon being drafted at all, let alone in higher rounds. Some of these teams are outraged by the idea of a team selecting a player who hit a woman. No one is saying he shouldn't be allowed to play in the NFL. They just don't want him drafted.

The league office is watching this situation closely. They may deny this, but based on interviews I've done, the NFL doesn't want Mixon drafted either, feeling it would undermine the league's efforts to curb violence against women.

To some in football, what happens with Mixon is a test. Rice was once a linea video linefew in the NFL thought would ever be crossed again. No one thought a player caught committing an act of violence on video would ever have a career in football.

It's possible Mixon may move that line.

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's really quite the conundrum.  On the one hand, it's great that he's getting therapy.  I think Mike Mayock and others on the Combine coverage hit the nail on the head when they said, don't shun them completely and don't ignore it completely.  Take the thing head-on, have them get mandated therapy for the length of their rookie contract.  Maybe bi-weekly except during the season, give or take depending on progress,  Have them volunteer or even start a charity for battered women, etc.  I think the league is taking a hard line that is too strict.  I've not done it before, but we've all been so mad at our spouse that we've reacted in regrettable ways.  Maybe not physically, but I think we'd be naive to think that it couldn't ever happen to us under the right circumstances (even though Mixon's was less understandable).  So I am glad he's getting therapy - he stands a lot better chance sticking around in the NFL than he does without it.  Hope he continues doing it for a couple years.

On the other hand, its hard to buy into this on some level.  I'd like to think he was remorseful and should have gotten therapy soon after the incident in 2014.  But I have a hard time believing he'd be doing this at all if it weren't for the fact that it's directly tied to his draft stock.  As an owner, GM, coach, how could you really trust him?  How could you really trust what his doctor's evaluations are of him if you can't trust that Mixon is saying just want the therapist wants to hear?  Tough questions man, and I honestly don't think you can answer them without a face to face.  

I'd love for the Colts to take him and if they did, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.  But I'd always be a bit worried that he'll slip up at some point.

3 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

It's really quite the conundrum.  On the one hand, it's great that he's getting therapy.  I think Mike Mayock and others on the Combine coverage hit the nail on the head when they said, don't shun them completely and don't ignore it completely.  Take the thing head-on, have them get mandated therapy for the length of their rookie contract.  Maybe bi-weekly except during the season, give or take depending on progress,  Have them volunteer or even start a charity for battered women, etc.  I think the league is taking a hard line that is too strict.  I've not done it before, but we've all been so mad at our spouse that we've reacted in regrettable ways.  Maybe not physically, but I think we'd be naive to think that it couldn't ever happen to us under the right circumstances (even though Mixon's was less understandable).  So I am glad he's getting therapy - he stands a lot better chance sticking around in the NFL than he does without it.  Hope he continues doing it for a couple years.

On the other hand, its hard to buy into this on some level.  I'd like to think he was remorseful and should have gotten therapy soon after the incident in 2014.  But I have a hard time believing he'd be doing this at all if it weren't for the fact that it's directly tied to his draft stock.  As an owner, GM, coach, how could you really trust him?  How could you really trust what his doctor's evaluations are of him if you can't trust that Mixon is saying just want the therapist wants to hear?  Tough questions man, and I honestly don't think you can answer them without a face to face.  

I'd love for the Colts to take him and if they did, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.  But I'd always be a bit worried that he'll slip up at some point.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that Mixon got anger management therapy after the incident happened. I'll see if I can find a source for that.

I will say though, that a good therapist can tell when someone is telling them what they want to hear, so I'd hope that wouldn't be the case.

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

I could have sworn I read somewhere that Mixon got anger management therapy after the incident happened. I'll see if I can find a source for that.

I will say though, that a good therapist can tell when someone is telling them what they want to hear, so I'd hope that wouldn't be the case.

"Under a plea agreement with the Cleveland County district attorney, Mixon completed one year of probation, 100 hours of community service and anger management counseling."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2016/11/22/oklahoma-sooners-running-back-joe-mixon-punching-woman/94309546/

36 minutes ago, Shive said:

Yeah, and hopefully that is the case. I tend to think that I and I'm sure many others do as well, have a really good sense of whether the person I'm interacting with is genuine or not.  Sometimes I'm wrong, but more often than not, I'm at least close to the mark.  You'd think that you would want people conducting interviews at the combine or wherever else that had that sort of 6th sense.

31 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

"Under a plea agreement with the Cleveland County district attorney, Mixon completed one year of probation, 100 hours of community service and anger management counseling."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2016/11/22/oklahoma-sooners-running-back-joe-mixon-punching-woman/94309546/

Good find.   I didn't know that.  Still, I'd like to see some continued therapy on his own volition rather than because its court mandated or for getting in a favorable light just before the draft.  It's an unfair criticism though, I admit.  It doesn't make him a bad person, necessarily.  But it would make me feel a bit more comfortable with drafting him had he done it from the incident to now.

45 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I just listened to the clip of him on the Dan Patrick Show and he mentioned the mandated community service & anger management, but also mentioned he has been seeking it on his own as well. Who knows whether it's a legitimate move to get help or just a positive PR move to help his draft stock. I wasn't super impressed in this interview, but I can imagine a face-to-face interview would be a bit different:

14 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah, and hopefully that is the case. I tend to think that I and I'm sure many others do as well, have a really good sense of whether the person I'm interacting with is genuine or not.  Sometimes I'm wrong, but more often than not, I'm at least close to the mark.  You'd think that you would want people conducting interviews at the combine or wherever else that had that sort of 6th sense.

Good find.   I didn't know that.  Still, I'd like to see some continued therapy on his own volition rather than because its court mandated or for getting in a favorable light just before the draft.  It's an unfair criticism though, I admit.  It doesn't make him a bad person, necessarily.  But it would make me feel a bit more comfortable with drafting him had he done it from the incident to now.

See above.

15 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He has done some counselling on his own since the incident, but that incident in November is what has been worrying me. He has been in anger management for quite awhile now and is still having issues keeping his temper under control. The question has become whether that incident was a moment of weakness, or a sign that rehabilitation isnt working for him. Until I know that answer he is a very risky pick IMO.

8 minutes ago, Shive said:

See above.

That's actually really awesome.  Thanks for digging that up.

My reaction is generally positive.  It's not overwhelmingly convincing in the sense that I have no worries about him anymore, but I definitely feel a lot better about him than before watching this.  A couple of things that really stuck out to me was first, as you said above, that he has sought out further treatment.  Good first step.  Second was when he was talking about how other teams saw him.  I felt he had a pretty mature outlook on it and the fact that he said he respected their opinions kind of stuck with me.  

All that said, I still wouldn't take him in the first round.  I think even with a clean history, he's probably not worth the #15 overall.

9 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

That's actually really awesome.  Thanks for digging that up.

My reaction is generally positive.  It's not overwhelmingly convincing in the sense that I have no worries about him anymore, but I definitely feel a lot better about him than before watching this.  A couple of things that really stuck out to me was first, as you said above, that he has sought out further treatment.  Good first step.  Second was when he was talking about how other teams saw him.  I felt he had a pretty mature outlook on it and the fact that he said he respected their opinions kind of stuck with me.  

All that said, I still wouldn't take him in the first round.  I think even with a clean history, he's probably not worth the #15 overall.

I definitely agree. I wouldn't be opposed to taking him in the 2nd if Ballard had a good feeling about him and he got Irsay's blessing.

26 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

He has done some counselling on his own since the incident, but that incident in November is what has been worrying me. He has been in anger management for quite awhile now and is still having issues keeping his temper under control. The question has become whether that incident was a moment of weakness, or a sign that rehabilitation isnt working for him. Until I know that answer he is a very risky pick IMO.

That's actually something that doesnt' really move the needle for me very much.  One of the things about rehabilitation is that you expect some relapse, so to speak.  I mean, the details from this incident are fairly vague from what I read, all we know is he tore up the ticket, threw it "up ath the attendant and pieces hit the attendants face" and that he "inched" his car at the attendant in an attempt to "intimidate" him.  

I don't know much, but those college campus parking lot guys are the scum of the earth.  I swear they hide in bushes and wait for you to walk away.  There's been times where I've even had a pass and you park in a spot that's adjacent to the correct lot, but you mistakenly park in the wrong spot or something, and you try to explain it to them and they don't care.  Boom $180 bucks.

Could he have handled it better?  Of course.  But I'm not sensing any serious physical violence in this story.  Its clear he's working through anger issues, but I'd be more willing to call this a moment of weakness than a sign things aren't working.

22 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

That's actually something that doesnt' really move the needle for me very much.  One of the things about rehabilitation is that you expect some relapse, so to speak.  I mean, the details from this incident are fairly vague from what I read, all we know is he tore up the ticket, threw it "up ath the attendant and pieces hit the attendants face" and that he "inched" his car at the attendant in an attempt to "intimidate" him.  

I don't know much, but those college campus parking lot guys are the scum of the earth.  I swear they hide in bushes and wait for you to walk away.  There's been times where I've even had a pass and you park in a spot that's adjacent to the correct lot, but you mistakenly park in the wrong spot or something, and you try to explain it to them and they don't care.  Boom $180 bucks.

Could he have handled it better?  Of course.  But I'm not sensing any serious physical violence in this story.  Its clear he's working through anger issues, but I'd be more willing to call this a moment of weakness than a sign things aren't working.

Like I said, its a question that has to be answered. We dont have enough information to get those answers. There is always bumps in the road in rehab, but we need to know thats what happened for sure, not just give him the benefit of the doubt. If Ballard does his due dilligence and finds out that he has been making strides in his rehabilitation, then it is less of an issue and you draft him. But as of right now, with the info we are given, he is a risk. 

It doesnt matter if the parking attendant was the biggest * on the planet, Mixon is going to be in the NFL spotlight as a player known for hitting a girl and breaking her face. He is going to have people up in his face, heckling him in the streets, camera in hand. It is going to be a hard thing for him to get through even if he is making progress. If he cant handle himself over a parking ticket, hes in for a rough ride.

I feel bad for the kid honestly. He has to be twice as clean as the guys around him and he will have to endure way more crap from countless more people. Its a shame that the odds are stacked against him, cuz hes a talented football player.