Jim Irsay Press Conference Discussion Thread

MTC

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Now that Irsay said Pagano will be the HC for 2017, how does he know the new GM will not fire him or does that mean that he will only hire a GM that is happy Pagano is the head coach???!!

Because it's almost clear that Jimmy Raye will probably be the new GM.  If that is so I don't think he'll be likely to fire Chuck.  I don't think there will be much of a GM search.  It's just a formality because why bring in a new GM when you can make the guy that's in house whom both you and your head coach have lots of familiarity with the new GM. I mean if Irsay is pointing towards Chuck being the coach for 2017 then it makes sense to go with Jimmy Raye.  We'll see

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Despite that, Pagano has still made many mistakes and questionable decisions.  Things a player controls (eg. effort) fall on the players.  Things a coach controls (eg. gameplans) fall on the coach.  Pagano does not deserve to be our head coach anymore

A game plan can be ineffective if the players do not execute what they are being told. That is all I'm saying. Players never get any of the blame and people don't give credit to Pagano for the wins he has had.

Nobody thought we would beat the Vikings after we lost to the Texans and we went to Minnesota and blew them out... Didn't hear a word of congrats to Chuck for that or any other win this year.

Give him a roster on defense and let's see what he can do in 2017.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

I am OK with it. This is what I wanted to see happen after last season. 

Fire Grigson and keep Pagano.

Now Jimmy Raye and Irsay will look for a new GM, or just promote Jimmy Raye.

Either way, we win as fans. Grigson had too many failures and wasn't very well liked. The entire team will be lifted up from this. A big weight off everyone's shoulders. 

Just as Irsay said, this is a move we had to make. 

Yeah, I could tell that Grigson was a jerk during his initial press conference. He was very short wth the questions and seemed agitated you could just tell this isn't a guy I'd want to work for or with,

Some of you guys are crazy. I'm pretty on record as being Anti chuck/Grigson and this is great. A big step in the right direction is way better than just blindly going into the season with the same two guys.

+ to me it seemed that Irsay was inderectly saying that Pagano has a very short leash and will be held VERY accountable for any more slow starts and poor finishes. I really think you'll see progress in these areas 

I had begun to doubt Irsay's judgment after it seemed we were keeping Grigson & Pagano.  I owe him an apology. He sounded very sound of mind at this press conference. He answered everything directly and didn't dance around any questions.  My faith has been restored and I believe Mr Irsay will do whatever it takes to ensure the Colts are successful.  I'm gonna trust whatever decision it is that he makes because he wants to win and just showed that no one person is above that. 

Despite that, Pagano has still made many mistakes and questionable decisions.  Things a player controls (eg. effort) fall on the players.  Things a coach controls (eg. gameplans) fall on the coach.  Pagano does not deserve to be our head coach anymore

i don't see how Pagano is the right choice for 2017.  makes little sense to move forward with an average (at best) coach and a fresh new GM.  Irsay got this wrong last year, now has whiffed again and sacrificed our 2017.  Pagano is soft thus his teams are too (only one of his many problems)

1 minute ago, Bluefire4 said:

A game plan can be ineffective if the players do not execute what they are being told. That is all I'm saying. Players never get any of the blame and people don't give credit to Pagano for the wins he has had.

Nobody thought we would beat the Vikings after we lost to the Texans and we went to Minnesota and blew them out... Didn't hear a word of congrats to Chuck for that or any other win this year.

Give him a roster on defense and let's see what he can do in 2017.

You have to understand the strengths and limitations of your players and put them in good positions to succeed.  Putting Robert Mathis, Antonio Morrison, or TJ Green in coverage is a terrible idea.  Putting Dwayne Allen on Clowney one on one is a terrible idea.  Despite being a defensive minded head coach, we just had one of the worst defenses in franchise history.  Pagano isn't maximizing this team's talent.

1 minute ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Some of you guys are crazy. I'm pretty on record as being Anti chuck/Grigson and this is great. A big step in the right direction is way better than just blindly going into the season with the same two guys.

+ to me it seemed that Grigson was inderectly saying that Pagano has a very short leash and will be held VERY accountable for any more slow starts and poor finishes. I really think you'll see progress in these areas 

Great Post! I agree 100%

5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

He sees how the players respond to Chuck Pagano. He sees how much they love playing for him. 

If the new GM can get Pagano the right players then he will be successful. We have witnessed him do it.

What you described makes him a good person, not a good coach.

Pagano is accountable for the slow starts and unprepared matches.

13 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

I must have misunderstood then.  Doesn't make sense for the new GM to have to wait a year unless that GM is Raye.

Yes...  But if Irsay's mind is already made up (to hire Raye) why not just name him today as GM?

Why go through this whole charade of interviews?

Just now, chrisfarley said:

i don't see how Pagano is the right choice for 2017.  makes little sense to move forward with an average (at best) coach and a fresh new GM.  Irsay got this wrong last year, now has whiffed again and sacrificed our 2017.  Pagano is soft thus his teams are too (only one of his many problems)

Today was a step in the right direction.  I think 2017 will be Pagano's last year in Indy.  Irsay said himself that he doesn't like making changes and prefers continuity, so I'll take firing Grigson over and keeping Pagano over keeping both.  I fully expect we'll have a new head coach for the 2018 season

The punter seemed pretty happy and I'll bet the real players mostly agree with him. They no longer have to deal with a guy they don't like. Their happiness might make them slightly better players, who knows. But now that Chuck is guaranteed continued employment, it is almost a cinch Grigson's assistant will be the new GM. So the only real change is happier players and a happier Chuck. Happy days are here again!

It will be interesting to see who he brings in for interviews.  There are a lot of former GMs working at ESPN.  Riddick comes across as being very knowledgeable.  Casserly knows his stuff on the NFL network. Or do we hire somebody as a first time GM again?   I am leaning toward an experienced GM.  Didn't we trade for Polian?

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

You have to understand the strengths and limitations of your players and put them in good positions to succeed.  Putting Robert Mathis, Antonio Morrison, or TJ Green in coverage is a terrible idea.  Putting Dwayne Allen on Clowney one on one is a terrible idea.  Despite being a defensive minded head coach, we just had one of the worst defenses in franchise history.  Pagano isn't maximizing this team's talent.

To be fair, there's no talent on the D besides a healthy Vontae. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

It will be interesting to see who he brings in for interviews.  There are a lot of former GMs working at ESPN.  Riddick comes across as being very knowledgeable.  Casserly knows his stuff on the NFL network. Or do we hire somebody as a first time GM again?   I am leaning toward an experienced GM.  Didn't we trade for Polian?

Casserly was always terrible with Houston and the personnel was too.

5 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

+ to me it seemed that Grigson was inderectly saying that Pagano has a very short leash and will be held VERY accountable for any more slow starts and poor finishes. I really think you'll see progress in these areas 

I drew the same thoughts from Irsays conference. He did seem to say that as of now Chuck will be the coach but then came back and said the new GM would get to evaluate the franchise all parts of it, so there "may" still be a chance Chuck goes

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I like Riddick a lot. He always sounds sharp and knowledgeable. He and Gruden would make a heckuva GM/HC combo. But I still think I'd rather have Kyle Shanahan over Gruden. 

7 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Today was a step in the right direction.  I think 2017 will be Pagano's last year in Indy.  Irsay said himself that he doesn't like making changes and prefers continuity, so I'll take firing Grigson over and keeping Pagano over keeping both.  I fully expect we'll have a new head coach for the 2018 season

I agree. Unless we do the unthinkable and go like 12-4 and go deep in the Playoffs, Chuck may stay then. I am shocked Irsay even got rid of 1 of these guys because of the contract extensions. He wasnt eating both contracts this early.

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

Agree.  Combine major defensive issues along with some offensive issues and Pagano's awful coaching , this team doesn't stand a chance in 2017.  Therefore, he should just cut his losses now.  

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

I agree, but I'd say the talent on D is a 2 at most. Just no playmakers.

That's fine.  If the talent is a 2, the coach needs to maximize it and make them seem better than they are.  Put players in the best positions.  Maximize strengths and cover up weaknesses.  We don't see that with Pagano

Nooooooooo!  Grigson was terrible.   It is still like a kick down low to keep Pagano.   Another wasted year with a horrible game day coach, that does not know how to adjust.  This is very uninspiring.   Kind of like his year end press conference.  

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

At least Grigson is gone.

Probably replaced by the guy who worked side by side with him and loves Pagano...Not an inspiring move if you ask me..I hope it's just a smokescreen for the Rooney rule so we can get Peyton,  Gruden, or Shanahan..

That's fine.  If the talent is a 2, the coach needs to maximize it and make them seem better than they are.  Put players in the best positions.  Maximize strengths and cover up weaknesses.  We don't see that with Pagano

I agree and I don't. I just think he had a lot more weaknesses than strengths to work with. 

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Probably replaced by the guy who worked side by side with him and loves Pagano...Not an inspiring move if you ask me..I hope it's just a smokescreen for the Rooney rule so we can get Peyton,  Gruden, or Shanahan..

I think Chuck is on a short leash anyway, at most he has next season if we do another 8-8. I think getting rid of Grigs is definitely a step in the right direction. He seemed to be a bully and treated people within the organization and Players like crap. Getting rid of him alone could refresh the team in playing better.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Chuck is on a short leash anyway, at most he has next season if we do another 8-8. I think getting rid of Grigs is definitely a step in the right direction. He seemed to be a bully and treated people within the organization and Players like crap. Getting rid of him alone could refresh the team in playing better.

Problem is we won't go 8-8 I don't think Pagano can even duplicate that ineptitude again..He is like Billy Bob Thornton in "Slingblade", he will get some french fried taters and go 10-6 and buy himself another year...

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Problem is we won't go 8-8 I don't think Pagano can even duplicate that ineptitude again..He is like billy bob Thornton in "Slingblade" he will get some french fried taters and go 10-6 and buy himself another year...

Biscuits and mustard too haha. I have to admit I am even shocked Irsay got rid of 1 of them because of the extensions they had. So I am still pretty happy today. Not sure what Peyton's future holds?