Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano will be made available to the media at 1:30 today.

stitches

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

The question was slanted to produce a response that threw Grigson and others under the bus.    Chuck already accepted blame for the whole situation so it's already established he didn't do a good enough job coaching. The neutral answer is best because it doesn't throw anybody under the bus.   If he says the talent is good enough then it only establishes what he already admitted to.  Not doing a good enough job, which is pretty much a known factor anyway. I don't think there would have been much harm in him saying yes I do think the talent is good enough.   Him not saying yest tells me he doesn't think it's good enough.

I think that presser was all about his job security.  The first question and all others got right to it after he rambled about stuff nobody cared about.  We can all speculate about what he was thinking.

I think he had trouble answering the questions right off, when asked if he thought he would continue to be the coach.  To me the obvious answer is "That's what my four year contract I signed last year says, so I don't know why I would approach things differently."  Instead, he stumbled around like its a decision that's made annually.  Sure contracts can be terminated, but I don't think a coach really believes that unless they feel there is some cause to terminate it.  

And the way he answered the questions implied to me that he thinks Irsay has cause.  Which is why he stumbled.  He can't give his honest answer.

But Irsay has already come out weeks ago and strongly implied neither Grigson or Pagano would be fired, and that's when we all knew the season was toast.  Its not like finishing with an 8-8 record changes that.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

JMV just said on his radio show that he still thinks both get fired. 

I'll be surprised, but maybe he knows something we don't. I guess we will see.

I think so, too.  As I've been saying all afternoon, I don't understand why so many took the press conference as a sign they are being retained.  One, if someone gets fired, it would likely be Grigson first.  Two, if Irsay fires someone, it would certainly be in person, right?  He hasn't been to the complex yet.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

8-8 is better than 7-9. Am I happy about going 8-8, no nor is anyone in here but nobody wants a losing a season. I am kind of amazed at how many people just totally ignore what Chuck did in his first 3 seasons winning over 60% of his games and making it to the AFC Title Game with and a Bad Defense and no run game. He had Luck and TY and a Defense that played well at times in those years but outside of that we way overachieved. People just look at the last 2 seasons and just flush the 1st 3 down the toilet??

Nobody in here thinks 8-8 is "cool"

7-9 is better when you want the coach and GM gone. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

They didn't cut him off, he was stammering out a different way to ask Pagano if he had talked to Irsay yet. Wells asked a stupid question about whether they discussed Pagano's future after the game yesterday -- which Pagano had already answered three times -- and Pagano stared at him like 'what else do you want me to say?' At which point the PR guy moved on to the last question and ended the presser.

It was a good 15 minutes in, which is typical for a Monday presser.

And I agree.  I listened to the whole thing and the questions were just terrible and poorly asked.  Stammering and stuttering.  It sounded like the media asking careful questions just in case he stays and they have to work with him again.  Trying to get it both ways but really on a mission to get him fired.  They are really a joke. 

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the Non-answer is the answer.

What could Pagano say?      He's painted into a corner and he doesn't want to throw either Grigson or his players under the bus.      Better to say nothing and take the heat and move on....

It was a cop out. It's a hard job but if you can't even answer the questions how can I expect you to solve the problems. This team has a talent. The reason he couldn't answer it was because he knew he had underperformed this year and didn't want to admit it. You can't tell me this team wasn't more talented then Lucks rookie season...that we shouldn't beat Houston at least once and not beat Jacksonville in London. What your telling me is unless Chuck has the most talent on the field he isn't good enough to win you the game. Sorry I've seen lots of good coaches outwit their opponents and put together brilliant game plans to put his team in position to win. That's not good enough for me.

1 minute ago, deedub75 said:

7-9 is better when you want the coach and GM gone. 

But I don't think yesterdays game would've made a difference. That is why I think like I do. I doubt Irsay was sitting in his office with a glass of Scotch in hand saying, - if we don't beat the Jags both my guys are gone. The 2nd Houston game would've been it for me and should've been it for him if he was going to fire them IMO. He hasn't said anything yet so who knows.

24 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Apparently some people don't think 8-8 is a losing season. Mathematically it's .500 exactly but in football terms that's a losing season. It's not astronomically better than 7-9 considering there were several times where the Colts could've lost a game and not even got 8 wins. Trying to justify 8-8 as anything other than a mediocre losing season is loser talk IMO. Especially when people always lamented the Cowboys and Jets a few years ago for going 8-8 often. Settling for mediocrity is a big problem with the Colts right now.

It's not a winning a season nor is it a losing season, it is a season of being .500 = Average.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

But I don't think yesterdays game would've made a difference. That is why I think like I do. I doubt Irsay was sitting in his office with a glass of Scotch in hand saying, - if we don't beat the Jags both my guys are gone. The 2nd Houston game would've been it for me and should've been it for him if he was going to fire them IMO. He hasn't said anything yet so who knows.

Actually that game was big. If both the Texans AND the horrible Jaguars sweep you and Tennessee jumps you in the standings it actually DOES tell you a lot about the team. Which is why I expected us to show the London game was a fluke...to show the real difference in quality between us two and we came out flat...lathargic and we didn't execute very well and for all purposes we should have lost that game. I was dissapointed to see that we are basically closer to Jacksonville level than say KC or Pittsburgh.

Just now, dgambill said:

Actually that game was big. If both the Texans AND the horrible Jaguars sweep you and Tennessee jumps you in the standings it actually DOES tell you a lot about the team. Which is why I expected us to show the London game was a fluke...to show the real difference in quality between us two and we came out flat...lathargic and we didn't execute very well and for all purposes we should have lost that game. I was dissapointed to see that we are basically closer to Jacksonville level than say KC or Pittsburgh.

London game wasn't a fluke.  In fact, it closely resembled more than a few games this season, and rendered the exact same result as 7 others.....

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Maybe if we would've lost 34-0 it could have (It even crossed my mind) but I still doubt Irsay would pin 1 game on firing them. If the 2nd Houston game isn't enough than nothing will be IMO.

What I hope will happen:

PAGANO: "I regret to inform everyone I am announcing my resignation."
PRESS: ("Yay! Let's write more headlines!")
PAGANO: "In my place will be this strapping young lad who's name escapes me."

McDaniels_Josh-Patriots-head-14.jpg

???: "Hey guys, what's up?"

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:
3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe if we would've lost 34-0 it could have (It even crossed my mind) but I still doubt Irsay would pin 1 game on firing them. If the 2nd Houston game isn't enough than nothing will be IMO.

Possibly and there was a real possibility of that happening if a few plays went the other way. I don't think one game makes or breaks a coaching decision but if we would have packed it in yesterday in the second half I think Irsay would have noticed that. Right now the players still play hard for Chuck but for how much longer? And for how long is just  avg going to be ok. I was just dissapointed in our performance considering we had a chance to put a whole different statement on the year by how we finished and what we could have carried over into 2017...and we chose to top off 2016 in the most uninspiring way...and left us all feeling that 2017 might be more of the same. I think that's what a lot see with keeping things the status quo and when it comes to spending hard earned money on that...well that's not good enough. I totally understand their feelings. I've got hope...but I'm a long way from confident this will get turned around under this staff.

49 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It was a cop out. It's a hard job but if you can't even answer the questions how can I expect you to solve the problems. This team has a talent. The reason he couldn't answer it was because he knew he had underperformed this year and didn't want to admit it. You can't tell me this team wasn't more talented then Lucks rookie season...that we shouldn't beat Houston at least once and not beat Jacksonville in London. What your telling me is unless Chuck has the most talent on the field he isn't good enough to win you the game. Sorry I've seen lots of good coaches outwit their opponents and put together brilliant game plans to put his team in position to win. That's not good enough for me.

I tend to agree with you.  He is not confident that important people will see his performance as job worthy.

As an aside.....I can't figure out why these hard headed coaches have to stick with the cliche of "injuries are no excuse".  Yes they are.  If Vontae can't play and you are down to playing your 4th and 5th CBs, then that is a reason for a poor defensive performance.  Its also no reflection on the HC...or the GM for that matter.  There is a reason why Melvin makes a lot less than Vontae...and Melvin is grown up enough to know why and admit it.  Go ahead Chuck, say it.

Pagano did say it indirectly.  he said "we played a lot of guys this year"  "alot of guys had opportunities".  Only an unreasonable person would stick to the nonsense that injuries are no excuse....and that "next man up" is the same thing as playing your $10 million per year CB.

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

We should have won the division and went 11-5...We gave away 4 games this year do to inept coaching..

If the coaching staff was inept,  They wouldn't have won any games.    The play calling could have certainly been better and the defense is void of talent.   

Venturi is the only pundit worth listening too because he doesn't have an ulterior motive to be soft on this team. He says the offense is fine but the defense is sorely lacking . So if the beloved spend a lot of that free agent money and some high picks on D there might be some reason for optimism even with the two back.  They need to get younger on that side of the ball. 

32 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

While Irsay may yet do nothing....his silence today indicates that he would like to do something...at least it does to me.

I agree.

He even indicated in his comments a few weeks ago, where he said he expected to keep Grigson/Pagano, that if he can improve his team he will. It could be for a new GM, Head Coach, or both but I believe Irsay is exploring options in some capacity. The same thing happened last year, imo.

Once Jim feels like he can rule out bringing in someone he really wants, whether it's to replace Grigson, Pagano, or both, I think there will be some type of statement that no changes are being made. I'm not expecting changes. I don't have a lot of confidence in Grigson/Pagano but I still think they are likely to come back.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's hard for me to imagine a coach whose job may or may not be safe just yet,  opening up and saying he left 4 wins out on the field.      Can't recall anyone ever saying something like that.      It's one thing to say he'd like to have the Detroit game back.      That's one game.      But saying he blew 4 wins?      I think you ask too much.   Especially since he hasn't visited with Irsay as yet.

Besides,  I'm not sure if he thinks that HE left 4 wins out on the field,  or if Grigson left them in his front office.....

Just saying........

I think Lions, both Texans games and the jags? Is what he was referring to 

28 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If the coaching staff was inept,  They wouldn't have won any games.    The play calling could have certainly been better and the defense is void of talent.   

The games were won in spite of the coaching not because of it. Better coaches are needed in order to win more games.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Its not just losing a game. It would have been 3 straight losses to the Jags. 

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

How so?

Timing and evidence...

1-He's not deaf, Irsay knows his staff is twisting in a sharp, cold wind today.  He'd have already cleared them for next year if he was 100% to keep them....and he said he'd look at everything again at the end of the year.

2- The evidence is that this was a 12 win team that won 8.  The conversation isn't over yet.

1 minute ago, ztboiler said:

Timing and evidence...

1-He's not deaf, Irsay knows his staff is twisting in a sharp, cold wind today.  He'd have already cleared them for next year if he was 100% to keep them....and he said he'd look at everything again at the end of the year.

2- The evidence is that this was a 12 win team that won 8.  The conversation isn't over yet.

Yep....I don't want to make changes just to make changes..You got a lot of young players who would have to start over and learn a new system..I want to make changes for a big dog at coach or G.M..I think Jim is trying to get one behind the scenes, but isn't gonna blow things up unless it's a sure thing..

I could be totally wrong but didn't Irsay say something about meditating or soul searching on whether or not to keep Chuck and Grigson last year? I thought I remember that was why it took so long last year, that he talked with those two and had to think on it for a while.

Again, could be wrong on all that, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Jim wasn't in the building and any sort of announcement is taking so long. Just deliberating.

At the same time I'd be less surprised if he's just meeting with them and having an end of the year interview to see how to approach next season.

57 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

When 8-8 is your worst record the last 5 years maybe you're not trash.

Room to improve? Absolutely, but not crap.

That would be true if the talent level wasn't there to be 12-4   And it is   So yea Pagano sucks and is trash

7 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Timing and evidence...

That's actually a well thought out explanation. I'm not sure he expected 12 wins but so think he expected a winning season and to not get swept by the Texans. Aside from the Titans the Colts have been getting progressively worst in the division. Last year we split with the Texans and it was the first time they beat us at home. Then we all remember the blowout to the Jags. This year we split with the Jags again because their kicker cost them the game like he did last year but got swept by the Texans.