Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano will be made available to the media at 1:30 today.

stitches

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

A lot of those sacks are because of offensive scheme,  and we don't get a lot of rushing yards because we got to come from behind constantly so we can't afford to be patient with running game..I know your a Pagano fan man, I just disagree..I still have hope next year even with him though...He is supposed to be a defensive coach so yes we put $$ in the offense and he should make a talent deficient defense respectable. ..Look at what Wade Philips has done? 

Why are we coming from behind?   Anything to do with that defense?

What's the last defense Wade Phillips had with no pass rush talent and a weak front 7?

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

A lot of those sacks are because of offensive scheme,  and we don't get a lot of rushing yards because we got to come from behind constantly so we can't afford to be patient with running game..I know your a Pagano fan man, I just disagree..I still have hope next year even with him though...He is supposed to be a defensive coach so yes we put $$ in the offense and he should make a talent deficient defense respectable. ..Look at what Wade Philips has done? 

Yes,   Let's look at what wade has done.    Pretty obvious the Broncos,  and before that the Texans had more talent than the offense on both teams

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Why are we coming from behind?   Anything to do with that defense?

Yes and slow starts, not being prepared, crappy predictable gameplan..Its not just this year, even in the first 3 years where we were 11-5 we could have lost a lot more a lot of Luck miracle comebacks saved us. .Also had Wayne still producing and Mathis producing. .We do the same thing every week I know when we are gonna run the ball on 1st we telegraph it so bad...We never change the defense , we run the exact same vanilla defense every week no matter who the opponents are..There is too much to list really..His only positive is he is a players coach and they play hard for him, and I even think its wearing thin on players and they are tuning him out...

6 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Pagano ain't the one buying the groceries for his scheme.  Nothing wrong with the scheme, but I do agree some adjustments have to be made for the flaws.  You can be a high sacks team in whatever scheme. Russell Wilson gets sacked a lot and he ain't running an Air Coryell. 

Not that I'm a Pagano cheer leader, I just don't buy the idea he's a high school or college coach.   That would be Chip Kelly, Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier, Lou Holtz.  Pagano didn't get run out of the league like them and embarrassed.   Your comparison is bad.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Pagano ain't the one buying the groceries for his scheme.  Nothing wrong with the scheme, but I do agree some adjustments have to be made for the flaws.  You can be a high sacks team in whatever scheme. Russell Wilson gets sacked a lot and he ain't running an Air Coryell. 

Not that I'm a Pagano cheer leader, I just don't buy the idea he's a high school or college coach.   That would be Chip Kelly, Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier, Lou Holtz.  Pagano didn't get run out of the league like them and embarrassed.   Your comparison is bad.

I'm just saying we have seen his coaching ceiling...Sure load up rhe defense and have a great offense anyone can win with that...Hell he probably will win when we invest in the defense..Thats not saying much..If he is here I'll roll with him and hope for the best..I don't want to fire him just to hire a first time coordinator,  or retread either,  if thats the plan Id rather not blow it up..if we fire him I expect Irsay to hire a Super Bowl level guy...

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

You're right.  Nothing wrong with the scheme in general....it's match-up specifics of who, when, and how.

4 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I'm just saying we have seen his coaching ceiling...Sure load up rhe defense and have a great offense anyone can win with that...Hell he probably will win when invest in defense..Thats not saying much..If he is here Ill roll with him and hope for the best..I don't want to fire him just to hire a first time coordinator,  or retread..if we fire him I expect Irsay to hire a Super Bowl level guy...

I don't give two cents how flashy he is as a coach as long as we win.  If he wins then I'm down with him. He's got one more season with me.  If I don't see what I need to see then I'll be talking like you next year! I think you need a complete team to do that.  More than you need a Bellichick type mind.  There's not that many Bellichicks running around out there. 

I don't give two cents how flashy he is as a coach as long as we win.  If he wins then I'm down with him. He's got one more season with me.  If I don't see what I need to see then I'll be talking like you next year! I think you need a complete team to do that.  More than you need a Bellichick type mind.  There's not that many Bellichicks running around out there. 

If the goal were to fully evaluate Pagano as a head coach, then I'd agree that we need more information.....but that's not the goal.

I think he can win with a complete loaded team. ..I just want a coach that can win and be in contention every year even if we have less talent. ..

11 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I have NO idea what the point of this press conference was. 

Exactly!!! Why would you send that guy out there to face the music if you didn't have the conversation with him? I feel for Pagano as he was sent out there to the media wolves without a clear direction given to him. 

If you retain him, having the conversation with him would have been the right thing to do BEFORE the conference. If you are going to fire him, then you shouldn't have sent him out there. Either way, reflects badly on Irsay, IMO.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It isn't, if we had Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney in their prime I think we could go 10-6 easily every year. Peyton was 12-4 routinely but that was Peyton. Luck is Very Good but he isn't Peyton but still we would be 10-6 routinely with 2 Pass Rushers like that. Maybe even 11-5 every season.

Peyton wouldn't be winning 12 games every year with this talent and coaching staff.  

I'd bet good money that pagano's claim that he hadn't met with Irsay yet was just a lie to mess with all the media and fans who have turned on them. He probably met with Irsay early this morning and they both decided to collaborate to play with the fans and the media by having pagano tell them he hadn't talked to him, and Irsay keep quiet.

And good on them. That's a great rib.

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Peyton wouldn't be winning 12 games every year with this talent and coaching staff.  

Yeah I would agree.  I guess all those people complaining about how the NaPolian never "fixed the defense" would LOVE to have those Manning days again.  As bad as some of those defenses appeared to have been at that time that defense would look like the '85 Bears compared to this one, huh?  I mean there is NOBODY you fear on defense right now.

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Peyton would have told Irsay to get Pagano out of here real quick..Peyton would win easily with this team..

As a player?   Pretty sure Irsay didn't take orders,  or even advice from Peyton.  If that were the case,  he and polian would have still been here in 2012

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

I'd bet good money that pagano's claim that he hadn't met with Irsay yet was just a lie to mess with all the media and fans who have turned on them. He probably met with Irsay early this morning and they both decided to collaborate to play with the fans and the media by having pagano tell them he hadn't talked to him, and Irsay keep quiet.

But then, what good comes out of it? Ego satisfaction???

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

We have a great offense and it could be best in league once the young offensive line matures and gels.

There.      I fixed that for you!

You're welcome.

Until that happens they should have protected the offensive line and Luck with better play calling.  They did at times, but not consistently.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Once Brady and BB retire they will disappear. Colts have their Franchise QB in tact at least for years, they don't. Their down time is right around the corner.

we have luck for around 6 more seasons most likely, maybe 3-5 more past that......  health willing

18 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I have NO idea what the point of this press conference was. 

To show business as usual.  It looks like it might have been the Colts way of saying no changes were being made. I know that's not what most here (myself included) want to see but it looks like it might be what is going on, at least for now. 

1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

we have luck for around 6 more seasons most likely, maybe 3-5 more past that......  health willing

Given how long those guys Brady and BB are going, Luck is going to have to get past them at some point in his lifetime to get to that first SB, much like Peyton did.

19 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

If the goal were to fully evaluate Pagano as a head coach, then I'd agree that we need more information.....but that's not the goal.

It's not about evaluation, it's about winning and he has done that.  He's done that missing a whole lot of stuff that you typically would expect out of a team with Super Bowl expectations. I just think it's hard to make the right determination knowing that. Some of his decision making I think is effected by the deficiencies. For instance I don't think we take some of the risks we took in the Pats game last year if we had a competent defense and O line.  Probably would have taken another course.  The Pittsburgh games we've been totally outmatched on the defensive end of the football amongst other things.  I say give it another year at least. Improve some of the tools this guy has to work with and if he can't make it work from there then slam the door and move on.  I don't see the sense in giving up that fast after signing a 4 year contract.

But then, what good comes out of it? Ego satisfaction???

If Irsay still has confidence enough in pagano and grigson that he isn't going to fire them, and that certainly seems to be the case, knowing the way the media has hounded him about his job, starting these Manning rumors, and have been camped out waiting for blood that would be their little way of sticking it to the media.

Most all of the local media hung around the press room at Colts HQ all day and into the evening, and there are probably still many there now. What better way to get back at them than by wasting their time and keeping their hopes of something happening up until they finally come to the sad realization?

That's a great rib.

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

If Irsay still has confidence enough in pagano and grigson that he isn't going to fire them, and that certainly seems to be the case, knowing the way the media has hounded him about his job, starting these Manning rumors, and have been camped out waiting for blood that would be their little way of sticking it to the media.

Most all of the local media hung around the press room at Colts HQ all day and into the evening, and there are probably still many there now. What better way to get back at them than by wasting their time and keeping their hopes of something happening up until they finally come to the sad realization?

That's a great rib.

Not just the media, 75% of the fans have seen enough and want him gone...I just wish we kept Arians, and we wouldn't have this problem...He struggled this year cause his qb is done, but he wouldn't have that issue here..

5 hours ago, Jules said:

Polian/Manning/Dungy were winners and we were blessed. What we have to now do is become used to being average and just hoping we can win the division again like Bengals fans.

Of course yes I am picky as hell too, I am a princess if so be it. But, being a fan of this team if you have been for a long time........a lot of us got SPOILED and I can't say you can really blame us all either.

Many of us including me have had to adjust our mindset to the new Colts. We are just another team now. In a way I accept this now. But, I still have a tough time imagining a full offseason of "going 8-8 is cool" talk when our franchise QB only missed one game all season long.

Is this really you Jules,  saying this....??? haha   I tease.    Glad to hear you say this.  You know this is how I have always felt, and never afraid to voice.

15 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

That's a great rib.

Great way to * your fan base off. Most are already fed up with Chuck and Ryan a smart*** move like that wouldn't help them at all.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

It's not about evaluation, it's about winning and he has done that.  He's done that missing a whole lot of stuff that you typically would expect out of a team with Super Bowl expectations. I just think it's hard to make the right determination knowing that. Some of his decision making I think is effected by the deficiencies. For instance I don't think we take some of the risks we took in the Pats game last year if we had a competent defense and O line.  Probably would have taken another course.  The Pittsburgh games we've been totally outmatched on the defensive end of the football amongst other things.  I say give it another year at least. Improve some of the tools this guy has to work with and if he can't make it work from there then slam the door and move on.  I don't see the sense in giving up that fast after signing a 4 year contract.

No argument in terms of what we don't know with better players, but you have to make a decision based on what you do know sometimes...and we know an awful lot about Pagano...time to get on with it.

4 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

No argument in terms of what we don't know with better players, but you have to make a decision based on what you do know sometimes...and we know an awful lot about Pagano...time to get on with it.

I feel you but he'll be here next year.

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

Ya, we have an owner that gets it.  If we do something it will be well done.  This staff will take us to the playoffs next year regardless....and he knows that.  

Irsay also knows we'll be maddeningly inconsistent and unable to scheme with the elite...and that will require change in the near future...but we don't need to be impatient prior to the right solution emerging.

The delay is most likely a reflection of the complications of evaluating coach and GM combinations...and the different needs of each.

If he were going to fire Pagano and keep Grigson, then that would have happened already.

To be honest, i think its still possible he fires one and not the other - traditionally coach goes before GM - despite the fact that the prevailing thought is they are tied at the hip. But he will have someone in mind before he does anything, if at all.  Thats all you can really ask, especially if, as you suspect, Irsay wants to do something. 

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

There is no evidence to suggest anything is going to happen

Is that why all the local reporters were/are camping out at the complex late this evening?

It's not business as usual...that is evidence, at a minimum, that they think something might happen.

Just now, ztboiler said:

Is that why all the local reporters were/are camping out at the complex late this evening?

It's not business as usual...that is evidence, at a minimum, that they something might happen.

They are hoping.    If it were gonna happen it would have happened