Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

9 sacks given up the last 6 games

PeterBowman

I just hope it isn't an anomaly, and instead a sign of things to come. IIRC, the Colts had a good number of sacks in the last 6 or so games of last season, which clearly turned out to be an anomaly. 

But the good thing is the line is young, so hopefully whatever Joe is teaching em is working, and they continue to grow and gel together.

I I think for the most part we have some solid young options that can and will hopefully continue to develop. The biggest battle we face is staying healthy, that is the real issue. We constantly have 1 or 2 or 3 different guys going out with injuries from week to week. If we could ever just get 1 group healthy for close to the whole season, you have to wonder what a difference that would make.

39 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

I I think for the most part we have some solid young options that can and will hopefully continue to develop. The biggest battle we face is staying healthy, that is the real issue. We constantly have 1 or 2 or 3 different guys going out with injuries from week to week. If we could ever just get 1 group healthy for close to the whole season, you have to wonder what a difference that would make.

Same think this week Pagano said no injuries today.  Again on the road and few or no injuries.  At home a different story.

I know where this is heading.  I can see the spin already.  The O-line will show just enough improvement while the defense has some better performances against lesser, limited offenses(Jets, Texans and Vikings)...  Everything is fine.  We're trending in the right direction.  One more year of Grigson.

Then, he'll waste all of our draft picks, our free agency money, and one month into 2017 we'll be 1-3.  Groundhog Day again.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

While the OL did well today, I'm not going to get too excited until they can do it consistently.

I'm surprised the OL has had consistent play as there still hasn't been consistency of players on the field.

the lineup today needs mention n too.  Clarks 1st start, 3 rookies (whole rt side), harrison at a new position (no mewhort), and blythe saw some action. You forget Haeg is even on the field, which as an OLman, is a good thing.  The group on the field today showed some nice run blocking.  I particularly thought harrison and Clark exceeded my expectations.

3 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I'm surprised the OL has had consistent play as there still hasn't been consistency of players on the field.

the lineup today needs mention n too.  Clarks 1st start, 3 rookies (whole rt side), harrison at a new position (no mewhort), and blythe saw some action. You forget Haeg is even on the field, which as an OLman, is a good thing.  The group on the field today showed some nice run blocking.  I particularly thought harrison and Clark exceeded my expectations.

Yeah, that's why I'm waiting before I get too excited.  I liked how well they played today, but I don't think it's something to rely on when you have that many players out and so many new pieces.  When Mewhort comes back, the OL we had today changes again.  Good played pretty well at the end of last year, but he was less than impressive this year, so that same pattern might happen to Clark.  I'm not saying they will be awful.  I'm just saying let's be cautious about what we expect from the OL

4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

While the OL did well today, I'm not going to get too excited until they can do it consistently.

The thread title notes 9 sacks in 6 games.      This isn't about just today.

It's about the last 6 weeks.       It's not a coincidence that our offense is playing better in the last 6 weeks.

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Yeah, that's why I'm waiting before I get too excited.  I liked how well they played today, but I don't think it's something to rely on when you have that many players out and so many new pieces.  When Mewhort comes back, the OL we had today changes again.  Good played pretty well at the end of last year, but he was less than impressive this year, so that same pattern might happen to Clark.  I'm not saying they will be awful.  I'm just saying let's be cautious about what we expect from the OL

I'm with you.

however, we built a nice base, i think.  Some young guys that were thrown in the fire and improved thru the year.

who knows what the future holds tor our OL.

7 hours ago, weslo1812 said:

Show me a single NFL offensive line that keeps a single lineup on the field for the majority of a whole season.... It just doesnt happen, it's the nature of the position. It's so easy to get your ankle rolled up on or to fall awkwardly and tear something...

6 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

The one thing that gives me hope is that Clark was projected to be an absolute physical stud in the League.  He'll have some growing pains, but I would love it if he pans out and the future starting OL consists of:

AC - Mewhort - Kelly - Harrison/Haeg - Clark

Good provides depth.  Blythe provides depth.  I really want to see Harrison to continue to play well because he can be such a mauler in the running game.

Re: Clark -

"He's [Clark's] going to end up being big time in our league. He's got elite foot quickness, he's long and he's smart. He'll keep getting better once he gets to a pro offense and away from that stuff Texas Tech does and he'll become one of the top five tackles in our league." -- NFC personnel director

Pretty high praise.

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I agree. They handled one of the best defenses in the league today.  Running and passing. That is solid improvement and really bodes well for next year.  

Much like I seen with the Jets game, I questioned too after that game are we too exited about this team and it's outcome versus what actually took place? Of course we know what took place the next game after the Jets blow out. 

My only concern about this win and all the "we handled one of the best defenses in the league" talk, that defense was missing a few key cogs in their defense were they not? They commented that this defense was not blitzing like normal and not getting the penetration like normal. Was it because they chose to play more conservative to cover up those losses in their defense? I'm not sure if that's correct or not but so many said look at this team starting to hell after the Jets game and then we came and laid a big fat egg at home in one of the most important games of the season. I hate to take away from the win against that Minnesota team but I'm not yet sold that this team really won that game in the fashion they did as opposed to the vikes blowing how they game planned for it. 

And yes, I understand we too were missing key players on both sides of the ball. This team is just mind boggling

11 hours ago, csmopar said:

And zero sacks today and only 2 QB hits!!!

We have seemingly played much lesser talented defenses this season and got Luck beaten up much worse so it's hard to understand what has occurred with this game. Using a back up at LG and then 3 rookies across the rest of the other spots and we run and pass with ease. Was it the 3 step drops and quick hitters slowing pass rush and changing how the other team attacked us? I say 100% yes it was and for that reason, I say these coaches are *s to not have incorporated this during the rest of our miserable season to date. 

Mathis looked like the most masterful game plan and execution we've had to date with this coaching staff, let's hope they've learned something and that it's not too late. If they play like this and get in the playoffs, teams will be concerned. 

9 hours ago, #12. said:

I know where this is heading.  I can see the spin already.  The O-line will show just enough improvement while the defense has some better performances against lesser, limited offenses(Jets, Texans and Vikings)...  Everything is fine.  We're trending in the right direction.  One more year of Grigson.

Then, he'll waste all of our draft picks, our free agency money, and one month into 2017 we'll be 1-3.  Groundhog Day again.

Quite honestly, Grigson has done some stupid things and taking some risks he probably shouldn't have but he has some positives as well. If we can take his draft as being a sign of learning from past mistakes as a brand new GM, I think this team can move forward from here just fine. 

Now lets talk about Pagano. If you look at this season and the mistakes from his prior years of being a brand new head coach, do you have the same feeling that Pagano has changed from his prior mistakes and has adjusted? I feel like that's a no. If anyone needs to be fired, it is Pagano. He just isn't learning from prior mistakes and just can't seem to manage the little things that HC's have to do to win the fine line of being better in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, will426 said:

They good but if some of those 5-7 steps weren't taking out of the playbook a bit for this game it'd look horrible lol but give credit where it's due chud called a decent game 

I agree to a point. It's nice to see we finally adjusted a game plan to maximize the talent we have on the field and against the team we are playing. Great coaches do that on a game to game basis. We do that when the fans, media and everyone starts calling for your coaches and GM to be fired. Chuck should have been in Chuds office weeks ago telling him to adjust his 7 step drop plays for late in the game after we've knocked down the defense and their will to pass rush like demons every play. 

17 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

That's some real improvement the last half of the season. I think more needs to be made of the improvement.

I am very optimistic about the Colt's future because of the emerging young talent on the O-line. I expect to see next year a well balanced run /pass offense that will be very hard to defend.

6 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I agree to a point. It's nice to see we finally adjusted a game plan to maximize the talent we have on the field and against the team we are playing. Great coaches do that on a game to game basis. We do that when the fans, media and everyone starts calling for your coaches and GM to be fired. Chuck should have been in Chuds office weeks ago telling him to adjust his 7 step drop plays for late in the game after we've knocked down the defense and their will to pass rush like demons every play. 

Yip, the fans made the difference. Good grief and LMAO!

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The thread title notes 9 sacks in 6 games.      This isn't about just today.

It's about the last 6 weeks.       It's not a coincidence that our offense is playing better in the last 6 weeks.

Yeah, but we've had some different OL combinations throughout that time.  The point I'm trying to make is while yesterday's OL did well, that performance might not continue into next year.  With Mewhort coming back from injury and Clark's development, next year's OL could be different.  Different players mean different chemistry.  I'm cautiously optimistic.

12 hours ago, zibby43 said:

The one thing that gives me hope is that Clark was projected to be an absolute physical stud in the League.  He'll have some growing pains, but I would love it if he pans out and the future starting OL consists of:

AC - Mewhort - Kelly - Harrison/Haeg - Clark

Good provides depth.  Blythe provides depth.  I really want to see Harrison to continue to play well because he can be such a mauler in the running game.

Re: Clark -

"He's [Clark's] going to end up being big time in our league. He's got elite foot quickness, he's long and he's smart. He'll keep getting better once he gets to a pro offense and away from that stuff Texas Tech does and he'll become one of the top five tackles in our league." -- NFC personnel director

Pretty high praise.

With how Castonzo has been playing, I lean towards putting Castonzo on the right side and Clark on the left if he develops well.  Castonzo has been pretty bad for almost two years now, so I'm losing confidence in him as a starting LT.  Clark has tons of physical potential, so if he develops well and is ready next year, I'd like to see him on the left side over Castonzo

18 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

With how Castonzo has been playing, I lean towards putting Castonzo on the right side and Clark on the left if he develops well.  Castonzo has been pretty bad for almost two years now, so I'm losing confidence in him as a starting LT.  Clark has tons of physical potential, so if he develops well and is ready next year, I'd like to see him on the left side over Castonzo

AC struggled last year.  He had a down year.  That poor (by his standards) play carried over to the first few games this year.

That said, AC has been absolutely studly recently.  He was a beast against the Jets, and he was a beast again yesterday, grading out at 81.8. 

If you look at the last 6 games, I would bet that AC has graded out as one of the better LTs in the entire league.  So, in sum, I agree with you 100% that AC hit a rough patch.  However, I disagree that he has continued to play poorly.

25 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

AC struggled last year.  He had a down year.  That poor (by his standards) play carried over to the first few games this year.

That said, AC has been absolutely studly recently.  He was a beast against the Jets, and he was a beast again yesterday, grading out at 81.8. 

If you look at the last 6 games, I would bet that AC has graded out as one of the better LTs in the entire league.  So, in sum, I agree with you 100% that AC hit a rough patch.  However, I disagree that he has continued to play poorly.

While I certainly like PFF, they're grading doesn't always make sense to me.  I forget which game it was, but they gave Castonzo a grade of 80+ even though Castonzo had a brutal game.  Several forum members commented on it too.  Ever since he got his second contract, his play has declined.

21 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

While I certainly like PFF, they're grading doesn't always make sense to me.  I forget which game it was, but they gave Castonzo a grade of 80+ even though Castonzo had a brutal game.  Several forum members commented on it too.  Ever since he got his second contract, his play has declined.

I also like PFF, and I also agree that their grading system is far from perfect.  What I primarily base my opinion on is what I see on tape, as the tape does not lie. 

I have watched the coaches film of virtually every Colts game this season (NFL Game Pass is glorious for X's and O's junkies like me) and I have liked what I have seen from AC (for the most part), particularly over the last 6 games or so.  He has had great games in '16 before that stretch, but he is starting to get his consistency back.

His overall technique has been consistent, he has been solid in pass protection, adequate in run blocking, and I cannot remember the last time he has been penalized. 

There was a game in '16 where the Colts had 49 passing plays/dropbacks (i.e., 49 opportunities for pass protection), and in that game, AC allowed only 1 QB hit (no sacks).  That's how you want your LT to play.

Overall, I believe AC's play has been commensurate to his pay in recent weeks.  His overall performance this year is exponentially better than his play last year.  If you disagree, and you expect more out of him, then you certainly have a valid opinion that I will 100% respect.

2 hours ago, zibby43 said:

I also like PFF, and I also agree that their grading system is far from perfect.  What I primarily base my opinion on is what I see on tape, as the tape does not lie. 

I have watched the coaches film of virtually every Colts game this season (NFL Game Pass is glorious for X's and O's junkies like me) and I have liked what I have seen from AC (for the most part), particularly over the last 6 games or so.  He has had great games in '16 before that stretch, but he is starting to get his consistency back.

His overall technique has been consistent, he has been solid in pass protection, adequate in run blocking, and I cannot remember the last time he has been penalized. 

There was a game in '16 where the Colts had 49 passing plays/dropbacks (i.e., 49 opportunities for pass protection), and in that game, AC allowed only 1 QB hit (no sacks).  That's how you want your LT to play.

Overall, I believe AC's play has been commensurate to his pay in recent weeks.  His overall performance this year is exponentially better than his play last year.  If you disagree, and you expect more out of him, then you certainly have a valid opinion that I will 100% respect.

If you watch game film, then you have better evidence go to on than I do.  I just watch the games once on Sundays.  I know he had a really bad first half of the season, as you said.  If his struggles continue, I wouldn't mind seeing him moved to the right side if Clark is ready to go next year

On 19/12/2016 at 2:43 AM, 21isSuperman said:

How many years did it take for you to appreciate the joy of Santa Claus? 'Hey mum, nice surprise his morning, but I'll reserve judgement for five years........'

Yeah, but we've had some different OL combinations throughout that time.  The point I'm trying to make is while yesterday's OL did well, that performance might not continue into next year.  With Mewhort coming back from injury and Clark's development, next year's OL could be different.  Different players mean different chemistry.  I'm cautiously optimistic.

The stats say Castanzo is middle of the pack in the league.    That he's not as bad some here think.

He'll be the teams left tackle for 2-3 more years and maybe he flips over to the right side, or maybe Haeg is on the right side with Clark on the left by then?     But Clark is going to have to have several years of success on the right side before he's moved to the left, I would think.

And I think the future of our OL would have to be viewed as very,  very bright.  

Just my two cents and often not worth even that much.........

`

Finally got around to watch the whole game (had to miss it because of finals season :thmdown:).

I'm shocked to say Le'Raven Clark played pretty good. I thought he would have been a huge liability. The whole offensive line played with confidence.

If the o-line continues to be consistent, I would be happy to see a Castonzo-Mewhort-Kelly-Haeg-Clark starting five next season.

If you watch game film, then you have better evidence go to on than I do.  I just watch the games once on Sundays.  I know he had a really bad first half of the season, as you said.  If his struggles continue, I wouldn't mind seeing him moved to the right side if Clark is ready to go next year

Completely agree re: AC's start to the season.  It had me worried after how he performed last year.  He has a good head on his shoulders and a good work ethic so I'm happy to see that he has turned things around.

I'm with you on Clark being an exciting prospect as well.  One play that impressed me from the Vikings game: a Vikings defender was rushing the passer and had his hand up on Clark's facemask, bending his neck back, leaving Clark's face looking up at the stadium's ceiling.  This compromised Clark's leverage but Clark kept his feet as balanced as possible and his hands on the chest of the defender long enough for Andrew to get the ball out of his hands.

The Vikings defender ended up getting flagged for "Illegal Use of Hands - Hands to the Face," but the fact that Clark was still able to keep Luck clean on that play absolutely blew me away.

On a side note, re: the coaches film, being able to see all 22 guys on each play (from multiple angles via the eyes in the sky) and having the ability to single out and study every single offensive/defensive snap has really opened my eyes with respect to who has been playing well and who has not. 

If there are any guys you want me to key on going forward, I'd be more than happy to relay what I see on tape.

Some other things that have popped on film:

- Mike Adams is playing some incredible football right now.  Colts are lucky to have him.  Dude is defying Father Time right now.

- Swoope has the speed to eat opposing LBs for lunch.  Colts are lucky to have 2 TEs that can stretch defenses vertically (Allen and Swoope).  Never thought I'd type that.

- Allen, while often blasted for his inconsistent offensive production, is the Colts best TE when it comes to inline blocking.

- Doyle is not a great inline blocker, but when he is used as an H-back in the blocking game (wham blocks, etc.), he opens up some pretty big lanes for Gorge.  He doesn't have great speed, but he uses his body well in space and his hands are reliable.  Very solid short yardage/Red Zone threat. 

- Dorsett's route-running is getting better.  A lot better.  His post-corner route for the TD was a beauty.  Absolutely ate up the safety in a hurry.  If he cleans up his drops, he will be the player a lot of folks expected him to be.