Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This is why I don't blame a GM/Coach (Complaints about the players MERGE)

tfunky14

I came on here last evening anticipating ready all the fire Grigson, fire Pagano threads.

But what do I see on here:

Is this a catch-able pass?

Did the O-line quit?

Did the WR threw Luck under the bus?

What ever happen to our left tackle?

Did you see Luck's today?

D. Good Experiment?

Looks to me some players need to start playing and start earning their game checks. These are NFL players, yes coaches need to coach and come up with game plans but coaches do not catch passes, coaches do not make any passes, coaches do not block, coaches do not tackle 

Coaches can only do so much, it's time for players to step up

2 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

I came on here last evening anticipating ready all the fire Grigson, fire Pagano threads.

Did the O-line quit?

D. Good Experiment?

Looks to me some players need to start playing and start earning their game checks. These are NFL players, yes coaches need to coach and come up with game plans but coaches do not catch passes, coaches do not make any passes, coaches do not block, coaches do not tackle 

wrong. it is on the coaches to make this happen, if players are giving up or not paying attention, that's 100% on the coaches to correct. if they cant, BYE BYE COACH

5 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

Did the O-line quit?

D. Good Experiment?

Still management's "Good Soldier" 

35 minutes ago, csmopar said:

wrong. it is on the coaches to make this happen, if players are giving up or not paying attention, that's 100% on the coaches to correct. if they cant, BYE BYE COACH

Oh man you are so wrong

If a player quits on their "team mates" he is not a professional player, period..

3 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

If a player quits on their "team mates" he is not a professional player, period..

correct there. but it is the coaches job to make sure that doesnt happen. IE, send a message, any and all who do should be benched at all cost. and punished in practice.

27 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

This is sort of like saying Curtis Painter needed to step up and lead the Colts to the playoffs in 2011.  He couldn't.  He wasn't talented enough to.  These players can't.  They're not talented enough to.  We have the Curtis Painter of O-lines and defenses.  Entirely Grigson's fault - he supplied the talent.

Now Chuck doesn't entirely control the talent(although his pet players like Werner and Morrison usually suck as well), but the slow starts, stupid penalties, clock management issues and the special teams comedy reel - that's on him.

To many players still learning their positions, not enough on the basic fundamentals of football. The players are frustrated, I do agree players need to shut up and do their jobs. As for coaches did not agree with retaining chuck and grigs, But the colts cannot keep bringing in new coaches when things get bad. The fans are just going to have to kick back and relax this year and root the best they can. see what happens in the off season. I for one do not want to see this coaching staff get blown apart again, their fore luck would have to learn a whole new system. you do not get to SB this way. Chuck needs to put on his big boy pants and get the best out of this team. That means no excuses go and esacute. I know better said then done

6 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Losing causes all of this and the players have finally realized that the season is lost.  But the GM and HC are the reason behind all of this losing. 

Whether or not do the fans want to go another 4 years of rebuilding with new coaches. maybe a GM 

19 minutes ago, Archangel said:

Whether or not do the fans want to go another 4 years of rebuilding with new coaches. maybe a GM 

The fans have 2 choices here.  It is either rebuild with the current GM and Coaches (We should already be there after 5 years) or rebuild with a new GM and Coach.  I find the latter much more preferable.  Grigson and Pagan0 have had 5 years to get us on the right track and we are right now a worse team than in 2012.  That is unacceptable. 

I think the blame goes to Grigson, Pagano, coaching staff and the players, too.  This has been a total team effort.  The coaches can only do so much, then it's on the players to perform.  But, if we don't have the talent, we can't expect success, and that goes to Grigson.  And, you can also blame Irsay for keeping Grigson and Pagano.  The injuries haven't helped, either...it's just been a very bad season to date and there's no prospect of it getting better.

I'm guilty of thinking the Colts have talent and I think it's because I'm familiar with the players and since I know who they are, I figure they're good enough.  But, when I sit back and look objectively and watch other teams with guys I've never heard of doing their jobs and playing well enough to win, then maybe it's my rose colored glasses skewing my vision of the Colts.

New England is a collection of a lot of "no names," but they win.  Is that because of the coach, coaching staff, the GM, the system, the handful of star players, or a combination of all that?  I think it's a combination of those, plus a focus on their roles and the execution of their roles at the various positions.  And, I think the players buy into their system, or they're gone.

The Colts need to model their organization after New England and others who are consistently successful.  I also feel like we're spoiled by our past success and expect that to continue year after year.

As the old saying goes, you can't fire the team, so I believe it's time to start at the top and clean house.  We need an EXPERIENCED General Manager and Head Coach with a history of success.  Both Grigson and Pagano were new to their positions when they arrived, but they are clearly not what this team needs.

4 minutes ago, Hooksalot said:

The fans have 2 choices here.  It is either rebuild with the current GM and Coaches (We should already be there after 5 years) or rebuild with a new GM and Coach.  I find the latter much more preferable.  Grigson and Pagan0 have had 5 years to get us on the right track and we are right now a worse team than in 2012.  That is unacceptable. 

I agree but I would prefer a new GM right now let the coaching staff get this year out of the way, see if their any changes in the players for next year. right now a lot of unknowns on young players playing.

2 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

Did the O-line quit?

D. Good Experiment?

We need the players who will step up not the one's we have. We also need a coach who makes better smart decisions. 

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

Please do not retain Grigson or Pagano.   They are both crap at their current jobs.  

This.  We're likely going to have a top 10 pick next draft and it's imperative that Grigson not be allowed to throw it away.

If Luck doesn't play an absolutely amazing game every week, we literally have no chance of winning. 

Grigson has had FOUR YEARS to build an acceptable defense, which he hasn't. He's had FOUR YEARS to fix the O-Line, which he hasn't. Remember he was supposed to PROTECT 12? 

Not one player is on the active roster from his 2013 draft. I could be wrong, but I don't believe we have a defensive player on the roster that he's drafted before 2015. 

Pagano was hired because he was supposed to be a defensive guru. Now this team is ranked at the bottom of the league in just about every defensive statistic there is (except red zone D I think). He has zero idea how to manage a clock, and continues to try and establish the run/stop the run. 

But it's probably not the GM or coaches fault. 

My thinking: 

When your in every game so far (even Denver) but for some reason you can't hold onto a lead or you can't make a play to win the game I blame the players.

When it's 2 minutes left in the game...down by 3 or up by 3.....Coaches don't matter...Players do....

Make a play to win the game...

Maybe the Colts don't have the players on the roster right now (that I may agree on) but don't tell me it's the coaches fault then.....get the players to win games......

21 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

My thinking: 

When your in every game so far (even Denver) but for some reason you can't hold onto a lead or you can't make a play to win the game I blame the players.

When it's 2 minutes left in the game...down by 3 or up by 3.....Coaches don't matter...Players do....

Maybe the Colts don't have the players on the roster right now (that I may agree on) but don't tell me it's the coaches fault then.....get the players to win games......

You are probably right the Colts don't have the players to succeed, but I still think a lot of it comes down to coaches.  If you run a business and hire the most talented people in that field, it still can fail if management doesn't know how to properly motivate people.  It's the coach's job to get the most out of the players.  They need to put players in positions to succeed and give them the information they need to be ready for anything.  They also need to know how to motivate players and just like any other people, they are all different.   I see Pagano failing on both fronts here and really I don't think we have a proper idea of how bad or good, some of the players are because they aren't being properly coached. 

You're 110% correct "CSMOPAR"! The coaches make the players reach their maximum potential by motivating them, holding them accountable, and praise them, etc....Case and point, Bellicheck, Kubiak,  just to name a few get their teams ready and make adjustments...and are successful.  We don't have that in Indy.  Pagano/Grigs need to go!!!!

I will never have the amount of info these coaches have, but multiple times sitting in the stands and seeing the match-ups I called the play before it happened. My wife was even at one point "how do you see that and the coaches don't"? For example when KC was near the goal and Maclin lined up and 41 was across in a man to man line-up and I said post..it was and overthrown. They ran it again and 41 was over him again and I said great now the corner fade....touchdown.

I can see this with very limited info....why cant these coaches? Why cant they see when KC lined up with trips to either side they did not have enough DB's over there to cover? 2 cant cover 3. Multiple times. How many wide receiver screens did they throw? Bunch....because we NEVER adjusted. The one side kick you could see coming from a mile away because of the penalty...and the middle of the field was WIDE open and luckily KC made a mistake and kicked it to the side. I could see Doyle pointing to middle just before the kick and looking at the sidelines...but no coach put the player in the correct spot.

4 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

Did the O-line quit?

D. Good Experiment?

When you have SO MANY problems all around the field it's not a sign of "some players need to start playing and start earning their game checks", it's a sign of organizational failure. That comes from the top and spreads down to the lower levels and finishes with a coaching staff that has all those failing components on the field not playing to their abilities. So yah, fire both Grigson and Pagano(not now, after the season).

I would say dropped catches have cost us this season. I cannot see how we can blame the coaches on the fundamentals of 'catching a football'. Look for scapegoats all you like, but there needs to be more accountability on the players. No free pass on the coaches, but it is so not all on them.

4 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

Did the O-line quit?

D. Good Experiment?

They should have started day one when they drafted Luck to rebuild this organization from Irsay down, Reggie Wayne said they were reloading not rebuilding, I knew we were in trouble!!!  Who is at fault Mr. Irsay is at fault !!!!!

5 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

Did the O-line quit?

D. Good Experiment?

It's on coaches to get players ready to play and it's on GM's to get rid of players who arn't playing well.

Saying we have a bunch of players who are sucking, lets blame them but not the coach or the GM is stupid.

If the players arn't playing then that's on both the coach and the GM.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

D right fire those bums!!! Been saying this and it is about time fire the nice bums and get a mean BA coach that is going to kick some you know what......  

1 hour ago, tfunky14 said:

My thinking: 

That is what the coach is supposed to do. 

15 hours ago, #12. said:

This is sort of like saying Curtis Painter needed to step up and lead the Colts to the playoffs in 2011.  He couldn't.  He wasn't talented enough to.  These players can't.  They're not talented enough to.  We have the Curtis Painter of O-lines and defenses.  Entirely Grigson's fault - he supplied the talent.

Now Chuck doesn't entirely control the talent(although his pet players like Werner and Morrison usually suck as well), but the slow starts, stupid penalties, clock management issues and the special teams comedy reel - that's on him.

I concur