Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Perspective on the Defense

SkyBane

Yeah they haven't been good.  No hiding that fact.  And they aren't likely to pull a Superman and get any better this season.  What I do find interesting though is the offense has remained top-ten despite playing more than half their games against defenses that are currently ranked 12th or higher.  All of our division foes currently rank in the top 10.  They will likely only get a little better from here on.  Only Minnesota's D is really good outside the division.

35 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

How much different is this system than last years?   We have upgrades at about all positions except LB  by losing Freeman.

Was Freeman that important?

Maybe it's taking a while to learn the new system.....  I reaching here  help me

This year they're refusing to blitz to compensate for having no linebacking playmakers..manusky was vanilla but he damn sure blitz to save our corners for the most part 

33 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

yes they have upgraded at a few positions, unfortunately the linebackers are so downgraded that they're bringing the whole unit down with them.

Yeah this is unfortunately true.

I want to see more Edwin Jackson in at ILB and more Ayers at OLB. They seem to be the only two who have showed much of anything outside of Walden from our LB corps....

59 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Yeah this is unfortunately true.

I want to see more Edwin Jackson in at ILB and more Ayers at OLB. They seem to be the only two who have showed much of anything outside of Walden from our LB corps....

I do too...I mean anything that upgrades the linebackers will improve the D overall.

with this offense, the D only has to be solid to win a lot more games.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

We blitzed quite a bit versus Tennessee it seemed to me.  We've been progressively incorporating more of it.

If one thinks that Geathers, Green & Robinson can get better with some playing time as a unit, and Ayers and maybe Edwin Jackson come along and get more PT the next month or so...
 Throw in Henry getting healthier... It isn`t unreasonable to believe our D could become kinda scrappy by

the last quarter of the season. :thmup:

I hope to see next year three or four new starters on the front seven. But for now, to me the question is, "Is the defense good enough for the team to win more games than they lose?" I think they are. Of course this has everything to do with the offense and special teams compensating for the defenses shortcomings. IMO, the defense has had 2 terrible games, Lions and Jags...2 good games, Broncos and Chargers. And three games that are nothing to brag about, but they did play well enough to win 2 of the 3. 

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

If one thinks that Geathers, Green & Robinson can get better with some playing time as a unit, and Ayers and maybe Edwin Jackson come along and get more PT the next month or so...
 Throw in Henry getting healthier... It isn`t unreasonable to believe our D could become kinda scrappy by

the last quarter of the season. :thmup:

This is what i'm hoping.

we get eome offensive weapons back soon and the OL is improving every week it seems.

i'd much rather hope for this than + and moan every week and make myself miserable.

remember the days when we just wanted the regular season to pass quickly cuz we knew we'd make the playoffs?  This is MUCH more exciting.  I like to think i'm getting more bang for my buck with the Sunday Ticket. haha

I won't say they've played great defense. Because they haven't.

I won't say they've played good defense. Because they haven't.

Now with that said...  They started the year without Art Jones & Henry Anderson up front. They also deployed a mash unit secondary during that time. Now Art is back, but Zack is down. The starting secondary was just fielded for the fist time this year. A starting LB'er was cut, decent LB'er acquisitions have been made, and many new young players have been added into the rotation. All this has been done, on the fly, while adjusting to a new coach and scheme. I think they're finding their way some now and have improved a bunch since opening day.

I think they'll play much better defense in the next 10 games.

Ted adding more blitzes to at least pressure the QB helped our secondary last week.  Mariota had to get rid of the ball quicker and his recievers didn't have the time to wander around the field useing GPS looking for an open spot, unlike the previous games.  Pressure of any kind helps out the secondary.

missed tackles were the other issue.  Last week they were better. Seems to me Pags is weeding out those responsible whom do not seem to be fixing their part, and giving others the chance to prove themselves.  

A healthy D-line makes wonders in the run department.  Getting Jones and Anderson AND Langford on the field in the same game will help our run defense.

That being said, A really good pick in the upcoming draft 'should' do wonders for the defense as a whole. We need the best pass rusher we can get.  But I still feel the same as with last years draft, if he's not a 1st round talent,...wait til the 2nd round to get one and use your 1st for something else that is also needed. (RB or corner or ILB would be nice...depending what talent is available at what position then).

There is a chance our defense can come together to not keep putting our offense on a limb by itself before the end of the year.  And I hope this gets done if we have any shot of making the playoffs.

I just think that Ted Monachino simply doesn't have the LB core he needs for his preferred type of play, although Walden might do. Us cutting Irving and Moore was a big hint to this. Some of the young guys might bring a bit to the table during the season, but not much is going to happen before the draft.

The LB is going to be in a complete clean house mode in the off season. Walden and Edwin Jackson should stay but beyond that we will hopefully see a complete rebuild, IMHO. I not know about that Morrison dude, and I'm probably overlooking a guy or two that should stay as a backup too, but you get the idea.

19 hours ago, will426 said:

This year they're refusing to blitz to compensate for having no linebacking playmakers..manusky was vanilla but he damn sure blitz to save our corners for the most part 

No he really didn't blitz he only sent a blitz when it wasn't necessary atleast ted gets the idea and when he does call it he disguise it

28 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Upon Further Review, this Colts defense is debatably the worst, or 2nd worst defense, in the entire history of the franchise, rivaling the 2001 squad in ineptitude. How anyone can claim it's been anything other than deplorable is fascinating to me.

Whenever our defense is out there I am always expecting the worst this season... the complete and total lack of any pass rush just kills us....

I cant remember seeing a worse pass rush on any defense in the NFL.

Thing that aren't rocket science, but just might help the defense: 

Stop dropping Mathis into coverage

Take snaps away from Mathis and give to Ayers

Stop playing zone coverage

Take McNary off the field  

Safety blitz once and a while 

Learn how to actually stop a screen

Give Edwin Jackson more reps 

6 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

No he really didn't blitz he only sent a blitz when it wasn't necessary atleast ted gets the idea and when he does call it he disguise it

You sure I could've sworn we were one of the top teams with a high percentage of blitzing through the Manusky days ?

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 10:12 AM, will426 said:

You sure I could've sworn we were one of the top teams with a high percentage of blitzing through the Manusky days ?

Yep that was one of the biggest knocks on him he didn't really blutz until we lost mathis that season

On 10/26/2016 at 4:36 PM, Malakai432 said:

Of course they're terrible, they're one of the worst Ds in the league bar none.  I'm not really sure why anyone would argue with this. haha

This is the first time in awhile people haven't tried too. Usually people blame the offense but as another poster in the topic pointed out, they've remained pretty good.

Also the missed tackles aren't something you can make an excuse for. Especially when we have several guys age 30 or older, which means it's not an experience issue.

In summary, this defense is inexcusably bad.