Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why are guys like Quan Bray and Chester Rogers seeing more targets than our first round WR?

Dustin

I'm not going to pretend I know what's going on inside Chud's head, but it could be that a particular play is drawn up for Dorsett, but Luck either doesn't see him or doesn't like the coverage towards him.  So as Luck goes through his progressions, his first read could be Dorsett, but if Dorsett is completely covered, he might check down to Ferguson.  Again, not saying that's the reason why.  Just a possibility.

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I don't understand why Dorsett doesn't have any plays drawn up for him but Chud is comfortable giving guys like Ferguson 5-10 targets a game. 

That makes 2 of us. Chud has done a good job reducing Luck's INT total, but I'm not real impressed with his playcalling thus far.

14 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I don't understand why Dorsett doesn't have any plays drawn up for him but Chud is comfortable giving guys like Ferguson 5-10 targets a game. 

I'd guess because Dorsett is covered by a better corner,  and the other guys are covered by less talented players....    so Luck is simply throwing to the open receiver.

Here are the targets today...

Hilton:        11

Allen:          6

Bray:           3

Dorsett:      3

Rogers:      6

Ferguson:   4

Doyle:         3
Gore:          3

Would I like to see more throws to Dorsett?      Yes.     And I'm expecting them as the season progresses.....

19 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Or simply dorrsett is not getting open? 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd guess because Dorsett is covered by a better corner,  and the other guys are covered by less talented players....    so Luck is simply throwing to the open receiver.

8 minutes ago, FACE REALITY said:

I agree, speed does not get you open if you cant zig and zag

They can't give him a screen or a reverse? It's not like there aren't plays to get the ball to a guy in space. 

Just now, Dustin said:

They can't give him a screen or a reverse? It's not like there aren't plays to get the ball to a guy in space. 

Believe it or not,   I agree with you.      I don't know what the answer is?     When we go a long stretch without looking his way I'm always expecting something long,  or some type of explosive play that Dorsett can blow open.

Not sure why it isn't happening.     Hoping to see more of it soon.     Next week would be great!

I think its because Lucks mind speeds up fast post snap which is amplified do to the fact that his O Line cant do their jobs and pass block so he locks onto Hilton who he has very good chemistry with. None of them are all that good getting off tight coverage I don't think

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Did they draft him purely as a decoy? Why is he not being used enough? Create slants or quick routes that gives him chances to create yards after the catch instead of just deep bombs. Ridiculous how he is being used in my opinion.

He lost his first year due to injury and sometimes it takes a receiver 2 or 3 years to become a good receiver. That is normal.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He lost his first year due to injury and sometimes it takes a receiver 2 or 3 years to become a good receiver. That is normal.

Not as much lately. I've been seeing plenty of WRs taken in the early rounds make impacts in their first years. (Sheppard, Fuller, Benjamin, Landry, Moncrief, Sharpe, Diggs, etc.) I know Dorsett was injured most of last year, but he needs to make an impact this year since he is healthy. Our coaching staff needs to properly use him is what it boils down to.

21 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Did they draft him purely as a decoy? Why is he not being used enough? Create slants or quick routes that gives him chances to create yards after the catch instead of just deep bombs. Ridiculous how he is being used in my opinion.

He's a real good player BP...

they're scoring 28 points a game....on offense..they're using everybody enough

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Not as much lately. I've been seeing plenty of WRs taken in the early rounds make impacts in their first years. (Sheppard, Fuller, Benjamin, Landry, Moncrief, Sharpe, Diggs, etc.) I know Dorsett was injured most of last year, but he needs to make an impact this year since he is healthy. Our coaching staff needs to properly use him is what it boils down to.

So now you are going to turn this into another bash Pagano thread

2 hours ago, MTC said:

Lack of separation.

I agree. I've thought this last year as well. They are making TY more of a possession receiver now, which I really like. Everyone knows we don't run the ball well (coaching, line, otherwise). They stuff our passing lanes pretty well. I could be wrong, but I also feel like Luck is late on a lot of throws.

-Luck hardly looks at Dorsett.

-Dorsett mostly runs clear out routes.

-Dorsett is little and cannot use his body to shield off players on short routes.

-Dorsett's route running is nowhere near Antonio Brown or Keenan Allen. 

-Luck tends to lock onto TY often. 

-We throw very few timing routes. Luck is always scrambling.

-The coaching staff does not know how to properly use Dorsett. He should be catching a few screens , drags, and getting some deep shots each week to get the ball in his hands. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Because Wayne was toast, TY was yet to be locked up long-term, and AJ while in the works, was old as dirt, as soon was found out......