Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano complaints (merge)

RockThatBlue

The scouting report from Jacksonville was not to let the colts go deep and try to double up on TY, They also knew the colts were scripted on running the ball the first few plays of the game. The colts instead should of went with the underneath passes more screens and slants not to mention some pitches which i saw very few of, So if chuck and the coaches made this game plan and stuck with it shame on them. Also the coaches were aware of the o-line and all the rookies playing and instead of helping luck the hindered luck by allowing luck to stay in the pocket and not able do any roll outs again shame on them. Also the coaches were aware that bortles when outside of the pocket was dangerous instead of putting a spy on him they allowed him to get out of the pocket and carve the defense up for yardage which dearly cost them. I have defended chuck this past few years but the fans have been calling for the no huddle offense for the past 2 years because they know the slow starts are killers and the Colts needed to get some sort of  rhythm going and if the coaches havent figured this out by now then yes their is a promblem with the coaching staff. You cannot wait until the end of the 3rd or the beginning of the 4th quarter to start the hurry up offense and expect luck to win it every time. It is time for Pagano to just step down while he can.    

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let's hope you're kidding.......

Chud is one of the few good things this team has going for it....

If Pagano gets fired (and I doubt he will)  but if he does get fired,  guess who will be the head coach?

Yup.......   Chud.

Nope

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let's hope you're kidding.......

Chud is one of the few good things this team has going for it....

If Pagano gets fired (and I doubt he will)  but if he does get fired,  guess who will be the head coach?

Yup.......   Chud.

You mean that horrible playcalling?

34 minutes ago, IinD said:

Why didn't Pags have a punt returner back there late in the game?

Pags is drowning and dragging the Colts down with him.

Hah you got that right.

He's the captain of a sinking ship and doesn't seem concerned with trying to keep it afloat.

3 hours ago, Bubbz said:

Nope

Easy now friend,  easy.

I know writing that took a lot out of you.      That was some serious brain talent on display with this post.

Wow,  is that impressive.

And I especially love the part where you wrote NOTHING to back that up.  

So,  you've got your opinion.       And given your history here with your opinion,  you can keep it!

Congratulations!

Try laying down and then elevating your feet above your head so the blood rushes back.     You must be dizzy from all that thinking......

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

You mean that horrible playcalling?

I didn't think Chud had a great game today,   but I only counted about 3-4 plays that I didn't like.

Our biggest offensive problems --- by far --- were the half-dozen (or more) drops plus having poor pass blocking....       if we don't have that,   the Colts win the game.   

Period.

We didn't lose because of Chud.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I didn't think Chud had a great game today,   but I only counted about 3-4 plays that I didn't like.

Our biggest offensive problems --- by far --- were the half-dozen (or more) drops plus having poor pass blocking....       if we don't have that,   the Colts win the game.   

Period.

We didn't lose because of Chud.

Chud also didn't help us win.  Nor did his playcalling help us win last week

Chud is helter skelter just like the rest of the team.... I mean how do you justify Dorsett only getting 3 targets (2 came in the last 5 minutes of the game) and 1 carry???  While Ferguson gets 10 targets???  Once again, our strategy of Gore getting the lion's share of the carries, Ferguson getting the majority of the remainder of the snaps and Turbin getting 1-3 carries just ain't working. Why can't we take an approach where we're determined to get Gore 15 carries and Turbin at least 7-10 carries?  I think this kind of mindset and game plan will help our line gel quicker and change our identity from a finesse team into a more physical one. 

3 hours ago, IinD said:

What difference would it have made? Did those 6 seconds cost the Colts the game?

Don't believe everything you hear Trent Green say.

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

What difference would it have made? Did those 6 seconds cost the Colts the game?

Don't believe everything you hear Trent Green say.

It's called not quitting until the end. I deleted the game so I can't say what could've happened, but had a room of people saying the same thing. 

Pagano is garbage.

13 minutes ago, IinD said:

It's called not quitting until the end. I deleted the game so I can't say what could've happened, but had a room of people saying the same thing. 

Pagano is garbage.

They did the opposite of quit. They tried to block the punt, which would have given them a pretty good chance at OT, maybe even a game winning TD. 

What sucks is that they didn't come anywhere close to blocking the punt, so it was kind of a waste, but it was the 'go for the win' move. Still, they did block an XP last week, so it's not like it was a bad idea.

8 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

You don't think Chud's playcalling has been a problem?

No.     Not at all.

I didn't like 3-4 calls today,  but on balance (and I didn't see the Denver game)  but I've seen the other three,  I've been very pleased with Chud's play calling.

And I don't know why anyone would think otherwise?

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.     Not at all.

I didn't like 3-4 calls today,  but on balance (and I didn't see the Denver game)  but I've seen the other three,  I've been very pleased with Chud's play calling.

Not a lot of screens or short passes to beat aggressive defenses.  Keeping Gore on the sidelines today on 4th and 1 despite Gore having another good game.  Not calling for chips by TEs/FBs/HBs to help the tackles deal with good pass rushers like Von Miller.

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Not a lot of screens or short passes to beat aggressive defenses.  Keeping Gore on the sidelines today on 4th and 1 despite Gore having another good game.  Not calling for chips by TEs/FBs/HBs to help the tackles deal with good pass rushers like Von Miller.

Not a lot of screen or short passes?

14 of Luck's 27 competitions went to the running backs.      Luck got just over 200 yards passing today on 27 completions.   

What game are you watching?       We had mostly short pass all day long.

We threw deep roughly 3 times....  the TD to Dorsett,  a deep pass to Hilton and another I think to Bray.

That's it.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Not a lot of screen or short passes?

14 of Luck's 27 competitions went to the running backs.      Luck got just over 200 yards passing today on 27 completions.   

What game are you watching?       We had mostly short pass all day long.

We threw deep roughly 3 times....  the TD to Dorsett,  a deep pass to Hilton and another I think to Bray.

That's it.

I'm speaking to the season as a whole so far, not just today's game.  Last week in particular stood out as one with some awful playcalling on offense

9 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm not going to lie, I thought that pass play on 4th and 1 was super stupid.  The Jags had not stopped Frank Gore the entire afternoon and we go with a damn pass play.  It was equal to the Seahawks deciding not to use Marshawn Lynch on the goal line and electing to go with the passing game in the Super Bowl.  And to make matters worse Luck decides to throw the ball to Mr. inconsistent Dwayne Allen instead of simply picking up the first down with his feet like he'd done on multiple occasions throughout the game.   AHHHHHHHHHHH Just got to let off some steam!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.     Not at all.

I don't like his play calling. Don't get me wrong I've seen the potential. He just needs to tweak a few things and thus set our offensive identity. Like committing to the running game a little more with a 2nd back besides Gore. Be it Turbin or Todman or both. But not Ferguson. He should continue to get receiving work though. But not more targets than Dorsett and not way more snaps than a Turbin or Todman at running back.  Those beautiful runs Gore has had (glad he started hitting the cutback lanes this week) either Turbin or Todman would look just as good maybe better with a few. We'll see similar or deeper gashes. And our Oline would build a road grating mentality and watch their chemistry improve rapidly. Allen should not be on the field over Doyle on 3rd down and necessary pass situations. He's a great blocker but hasn't shown me that he's a better receiver than Doyle. So I'd rather have the better receiving tight end in the game in necessary pass situations.  Chud also needs to put more emphasis on "Luck to Dorsett" in the offense. More creative routes and more first reads. Do it in practice. Build that chemistry and trust between the two. Then we'd have two beasts and you can't take both away.  Start the game uptempo. Turn it on/off throughout the game and watch how our running game takes off in the 2nd half of games and the 2 back approach becomes more effective.   With the pieces we have right now from the QB to the Oline to the TE's, WR, RB's we should be a top 5 offense rolling out of the bed scoring 30 points per game.  If Chud makes these tweaks watch everything turn around. I wish I could get Chuck's job for a week and try my suggestions to see if they'd work.  Lol. 

3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Chud is helter skelter just like the rest of the team.... I mean how do you justify Dorsett only getting 3 targets (2 came in the last 5 minutes of the game) and 1 carry???  While Ferguson gets 10 targets???  Once again, our strategy of Gore getting the lion's share of the carries, Ferguson getting the majority of the remainder of the snaps and Turbin getting 1-3 carries just ain't working. Why can't we take an approach where we're determined to get Gore 15 carries and Turbin at least 7-10 carries?  I think this kind of mindset and game plan will help our line gel quicker and change our identity from a finesse team into a more physical one. 

Dorsett rolled his ankle in practice on Friday....

I think he took one for the team today.      Well below 100%.

The ankle injury is on the website......

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dorsett rolled his ankle in practice on Friday....

I think he took one for the team today.      Well below 100%.

The ankle injury is on the website......

Damn. Maybe we're just snake bit. But from what I saw today he still looked fast out there. I think it's him not being made the first read more in practice. Get that chemistry between him and Luck up. I'd script at least 7 plays each to get Hilton and Dorsett targets.  And not just deep targets. Some intermediate targets.  

18 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Damn. Maybe we're just snake bit. But from what I saw today he still looked fast out there. I think it's him not being made the first read more in practice. Get that chemistry between him and Luck up. I'd script at least 7 plays each to get Hilton and Dorsett targets.  And not just deep targets. Some intermediate targets.  

My hunch is,  Dorsett could only make so many cuts on that ankle....   that they otherwise tried to limit him to go routes or drag routes where the cuts aren't as sharp.....    I would guess any type of sharp cut would've been problematic for Dorsett....

That's the only thing that makes sense to me....

6 hours ago, IinD said:

I can understand Pags figured if we could just block the punt, we'd win, but they didn't stop to consider... "Oh, durr, the punter can pooch kick it!" Which he did, of course.

6 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I can understand Pags figured if we could just block the punt, we'd win, but they didn't stop to consider... "Oh, durr, the punter can pooch kick it!" Which he did, of course.

To me it's another of those details solid coaches are aware of. Pagano isn't getting us a SB anytime soon.

I don't claim to be a coach, but if it's between trying to block a kick or potentially returning it if it's kicked in bounds, I choose return every time. We gave ourselves no chance on that play. 

We seem to have one of these head scratchers each week so I'm sure we'll have another one of these threads during the year.

13 hours ago, infamous said:

I agree.  chuck pagano is not a good head coach. Our defense has sucked since the day he arrived.  to this day it hasn't changed. He preaches more about having fun than doing your job and do what your getting payed to do. I think that's why there are so many injuries.  the guys are more worried about having fun than getting in shape to win. Chuck pagano needs to go.

It seems like we've always struggled with injuries for as long as I can remember.  I'm not a Pags fan whatsoever, but I'm wondering if the constant injury bug has more to do with the artificial turf.  I've read that players seem to be more injury prone practicing/playing on it.  

I'd fire Chuck this morning if I were Irsay.  1-3 with losses to two other 1-3 teams, the only win against a 1-3.  That was the easy part of the schedule folks...  A quarter of the season gone.  What troubles me most is nothing changes.  The script has been nearly the same for the Colts since Luck and Chuck got here.  Start slow because you are trying to be something you're not,  get behind, scramble like crazy to come back, and do it all again next week.  I don't think Chuck is capable of changing, at least I don't see it, and this roster, along with the others he's had, simply can't do what he wants them to do.  He's coaching the 2008 Ravens (or worse, the 2011 Stanford Cardinal), and that isn't what the Colts have been in his tenure, nor will they be any time soon.  How many more hits on Luck, how many more times will he make decisions which rely on his woefully under-manned defense, how many more games trying to establish the run as we fall behind by multiple scores...   Time for change. I bet that flight back from the U.K. yesterday was LONG.... 

4 hours ago, MSColtsFan said:

I'd fire Chuck this morning if I were Irsay.  1-3 with losses to two other 1-3 teams, the only win against a 1-3.  That was the easy part of the schedule folks...  A quarter of the season gone.  What troubles me most is nothing changes.  The script has been nearly the same for the Colts since Luck and Chuck got here.  Start slow because you are trying to be something you're not,  get behind, scramble like crazy to come back, and do it all again next week.  I don't think Chuck is capable of changing, at least I don't see it, and this roster, along with the others he's had, simply can't do what he wants them to do.  He's coaching the 2008 Ravens (or worse, the 2011 Stanford Cardinal), and that isn't what the Colts have been in his tenure, nor will they be any time soon.  How many more hits on Luck, how many more times will he make decisions which rely on his woefully under-manned defense, how many more games trying to establish the run as we fall behind by multiple scores...   Time for change. I bet that flight back from the U.K. yesterday was LONG.... 

You're right - it doesn't appear that Chuck is capable of change.  It's abundantly clear when he makes a bad decision during a game and he is questioned about it in the press conference.  He doesn't admit he was wrong, and he says he would make the same decisions if he had to do them over again.  

On 10/2/2016 at 6:43 PM, 21isSuperman said:

Chud also didn't help us win.  Nor did his playcalling help us win last week

I'm telling you it goes like this.

Pagano:

Ok everyone (coaches) thanks for showing up for the game planning meeting vs JAX this week.

I'd like to start off with our offensive game plan.

This week we really need to start running the ball effectively, *walks to vcr* I've got some game footage here i'd like to show you so you can see what I'm looking for.

*Plays 2013 game vs SF*

As you can see we ran the ball effectively here, so let's just keep the course and do it this way.

Chud:

But Chuck, that was 3 yea...

Pagano:

Like I said we are going to come out, establish the running game and ride it to victory.

Chud:

but...

Pagano:

Let's move on to the defense....

20 hours ago, Mr Coffee said:

It seems like we've always struggled with injuries for as long as I can remember.  I'm not a Pags fan whatsoever, but I'm wondering if the constant injury bug has more to do with the artificial turf.  I've read that players seem to be more injury prone practicing/playing on it.  

Maybe, who knows.  it's aggravating.  if we always had the injury bug the losing trend is new. I'm not ready to be a losing franchise. We first need to boot grigson. Hes the one saying we don't need good offensive lineman. He's the one to blame for our roster . Then pagano needs to go he just can't seem to get the guys to play a professional game.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I'm not going to pretend to be a X 's & O's expert but if someone can tell me the difference between pep's playbook and chud's I'd appreciate it.

What is exactly a Chud offense?

Funny because of you just look through his wiki page (not claiming its the knowledge center of the world) you can clearly see he's definitely had success everywhere he's gone. Had the Browns as a top 10 O at one time. Was with Cam early on and did well there in Car.

Pep was bad I think, but I'm starting to think Pagano has a huge fingerprint in our problems on O. He wants a ground and pound, mixed with a grind it out O it seems.

I honestly don't know who's controlling the O, but Chud is more than qualified and had had success in other spots including offensive purgatory *Cleveland...

Or this could be Jim's vision he's forcing on everyone below him.

Honestly have zero clue why the O can't seem to ever get consistent.

On 10/2/2016 at 0:31 PM, 21isSuperman said:

For defensive specialists, Pagano and Monachino have a pretty bad defense

Maybe they specialize in bad defense.

Honestly, if I knew our defense would look this bad, I'd rather have kept Manusky. Only 4 games in with Ted, but saying I'm not impressed is one hell of an understatement.

50 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Pagano and Grigson... Their biggest football win was the sales job they did on Irsay the end of last season, not only to keep their jobs but get contract extensions!

Edited by Indy B
Added to clarify

These type of stories will keep their seats warm and if it gets them to start winning out of fear of losing their jobs I'm good with it. If they wilt under the pressure the sooner they're shown the door. 

Either way technically it's a win win.