Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Football is about match ups, I think we match up well vs Denver

chad72

I know, I know. We are still grieving, mourning, seething, you name it, after the Lions loss.

However, there are a couple of things I noticed. Scat backs and TE coverage, 2 areas where our LBs struggle is not an area of strength/frequent utilization for the Broncos like it is for the Lions. Riddick, Sproles, Woodhead (I shudder playing the Chargers because of that) are backs that give us issues. 

The key is our DL vs the Broncos' OL and not let that OL dominate us in the run game. If we stop the run and force Siemian to throw, he won't have quite the arsenal that Stafford has, especially if DT is out. Thus, we can make the game close. Just hope they put Talib on T.Y. and we exploit that match up when it happens.

Another 20s game vs the Broncos, I anticipate but hoping for an injury free game at the end, and some desperation from the Colts team to make it 1-1.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I know, I know. We are still grieving, mourning, seething, you name it, after the Lions loss.

However, there are a couple of things I noticed. Scat backs and TE coverage, 2 areas where our LBs struggle is not an area of strength/frequent utilization for the Broncos like it is for the Lions. Riddick, Sproles, Woodhead (I shudder playing the Chargers because of that) are backs that give us issues. 

The key is our DL vs the Broncos' OL and not let that OL dominate us in the run game. If we stop the run and force Siemian to throw, he won't have quite the arsenal that Stafford has, especially if DT is out. Thus, we can make the game close. Just hope they put Talib on T.Y. and we exploit that match up when it happens.

Another 20s game vs the Broncos, I anticipate but hoping for an injury free game at the end, and some desperation from the Colts team to make it 1-1.

Yeah who is going to block Von Miller

20 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Cj Anderson can catch it out of the backfield. I'm still angry that we didn't re-sign Freeman at that cheap price. None of our linebackers can cover now unless we get Ayers up to speed. We do match up better against the Broncos but I still think it is a lost.

I'm trying to imagine Jackson covering Anderson catching passes.

It is NOT pretty...

We have had success against Von Miller. He has been pretty much invisible against the Colts in 2013, both 2014 games and in last year's game. Looking at the stats and searching my memory of the games...Von Miller hasn't been the problem when playing Denver's defense. Their DBs have been. But it's a new season too, so who knows. Hopefully the line can continue to improve and we game plan him out of the game like in the past 

16 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Siemian beat the Panthers' D, and they have far more talent than we do.  I'm not excited for this next game, nor do I think we match up well against their offense with our defense.  Luck has always been able to play well against Denver, but it's our defense that concerns me

Panthers are a different style of defense.  They are not really a press man coverage team. More of a bend but don't break defense who most often wants to drop 7 in coverage and send 4 if they can play that way against most opponents.  They prefer not to blitz if they can, although they will on occasion.  A little bit more so against Denver because of the rookie QB.  Carolinas biggest problem in that game is they could not stop the Run.  Almost anything Denver does against you is predicated off the running attack.  We've done well against this offense numerous times.  However I will say there is certainly room for skepticism with the way we played yesterday.  I think keeping this group together and continuing to work out the communication kinks this week, along with maybe getting back guys like Geathers and possibly Henry Anderson will be beneficial.  If we can play at least 50 percent to 75 percent better than we did yesterday I think we have a chance.  Denver is not an offensive juggernaut.  I don't think they will be able to go back and forth like Stafford did. A completely different offensive style than Detroit.  They won't spend all their time passing the football and trying to get running backs in space.  I don't see any of our linebackers not being able to cover CJ Anderson in space for example.  He's slow as molasses.  That's not the style they want to play.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I don't see any of our linebackers not being able to cover CJ Anderson in space for example.  He's slow as molasses.  That's not the style they want to play.

Exactly, C.J.Anderson between the tackles, and tackling him and getting him down is a bigger task than worrying about him outrunning us. If we do that, we have a good chance.

If we let that OL bully us in the run game, I'd say we get ready for 0-2.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep. Holding calls are not being called against pass rushers as much, Panthers got away with more vs Von Miller. I'd suggest we push the envelope too. :)

I think we should play a similar offensive game as we played against them last year.  Big personnel, smash mouth football with Gore and Turbin.  Deep shots off play action, screens and what not.  High percentage stuff when in Shotgun.  I've never been scared of Talib, Harris, and Roby like that.  Think we have the guys to get it done on offense.   Defense just needs to play at least 50 percent better than yesterday.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep. Holding calls are not being called against pass rushers as much, Panthers got away with more vs Von Miller. I'd suggest we push the envelope too. :)

I've never even seen a game we've played against Denver where Miller or Ware wrecked the game.  We usually have a pretty good plan for them.

Simeon is not going to beat the Colts, he's not there's no argument. That Denver defense is really good, BUT the Colts beat a far better Broncos defense with a much worse O line and a very injured Luck. Denver was a missed field goal away from being 0-1 and Carolina doesn't have the weapons on offense that the Colts have. Won't be a blowout, but the Colts should absolutely beat the Broncos based in match ups.

Our defense is noticeably worse than last year, and their offense is automatically better with Peyton and his bum arm not being under center. Good thing about this is I think we can mess with Siemian a bit since he doesn't have the experience Peyton has when it comes to recognizing schemes. At the same time, that amazing Panthers front 7 couldn't consistently stop this team. Can't look at it that way though, like the OP said, it's a game of match ups more than anything. Oh... and Denver defense will have its hands full if Luck gets even decent protection. I notice that they have always struggled covering our guys.

I expect them to run it down our throats and abuse our linebackers in coverage like any other team. Luck will need to have a mistake free field day for us to win. 

I'm hoping they don't land as many shots on Luck as they did Cam or in the match up from last year. Yikes.

3 hours ago, corgi said:

Simeon is not going to beat the Colts, he's not there's no argument. That Denver defense is really good, BUT the Colts beat a far better Broncos defense with a much worse O line and a very injured Luck. Denver was a missed field goal away from being 0-1 and Carolina doesn't have the weapons on offense that the Colts have. Won't be a blowout, but the Colts should absolutely beat the Broncos based in match ups.

The Colts defense just might beat the Colts however :( 

3 hours ago, corgi said:

The Colts defense will have a lot more than Siemian to be worried about...

Did you see Stafford against us? He didn't have to make any difficult throws whatsoever, and had like over 200yds just off of YAC alone.

42 minutes ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

The Colts defense will have a lot more than Siemian to be worried about...

Did you see Stafford against us? He didn't have to make any difficult throws whatsoever, and had like over 200yds just off of YAC alone.

Stafford > Simeon. People seem to forget he ha passed for A LOT of yards against pretty much everyone. Beat the Packers in GB. Also didn't commit a turnover. I know what Denver has, the Colts should win based on match ups. Doesn't mean they will though.

So are we going to also most likely chalk TJ Green and Robinson out for this one?  Not only was the secondary horrendously banged up, one could easily state that they weren't even the weak link, the front 7 were.  Sio played ok getting a lot of tackles, and for the life of me did DJacks do anything or even play???!!??

5 hours ago, corgi said:

Not so sure about that.  We tend to make newbies and backups look like hall of famers.

1 hour ago, Malakai432 said:

So are we going to also most likely chalk TJ Green and Robinson out for this one?  Not only was the secondary horrendously banged up, one could easily state that they weren't even the weak link, the front 7 were.  Sio played ok getting a lot of tackles, and for the life of me did DJacks do anything or even play???!!??

Jackson looked like the reanimated corpse of a reanimated corpse.

I don't think we match up all that well honestly.  I'm not as worried about their offense as I was Detroit's but MUCH more worried about their D, and their D has the capability of scoring it's own points or getting their offense quick opportunities if the Colts aren't careful.

Not saying the Colts can't win, just don't like the matchup.  Who knows?  Maybe the offense carries the momentum into next week and starts quickly?

Always have since these people took over these franchises.  Honestly the Broncos scare me the least of the "super" teams because I think the Colts matchup the best with them of all those teams.  That doesn't mean the Colts will win Sunday but I'd rather be playing them than say Pittsburgh or New England.

Colts traditionally have owned Denver.  That said...our defense looks as bad as it has looked in a while and we have had some pretty soft and pathetic defenses under this regime.  Injuries are partly to blame and it appears that they will be even more banged up going into this game...specifically the secondary. I expect Colts to start off slow again and for Simieon to further embarrass our beleaguered defense in Mile High.  Denver wins by at least 10 points.  Losing to Detroit at home is a sign that this team is just not very good...so I am tempering my expectations accordingly.  We will have to fight tooth and nail to avoid the AFC South cellar this year.  I am dead serious.  Jags, Houston both look better than we do and Titans are at least more physical.   But yeah...Go Colts!  

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Always have since these people took over these franchises.  Honestly the Broncos scare me the least of the "super" teams because I think the Colts matchup the best with them of all those teams.  That doesn't mean the Colts will win Sunday but I'd rather be playing them than say Pittsburgh or New England.

Actually, I would rather play those teams.

I know that Luck can stick with the Broncos overly physical defense. I want to see how he looks against the best of the best. I feel like if Luck is ever gonna win anything, he's gonna have to beat one of these teams when it matters.

Gosh, Greg Manusky knew to hide more flaws than our new DC based on the 1 game I see. He at least played bump and run with our CBs, whoever they were and sent 5 most of the time to try to make up for the lack of talent during injury situations thus forcing QBs to thread the needle. Outside the Steelers and Pats, it worked most of the time against lesser QBs but playing zone with less talent on top of the injury situation does not even make the opposing QB work as much hard, IMO. :scratch:

10 hours ago, MOB said:

I feel like our offense will do well but it's all up to the defensive side of the ball. CJ Anderson and Ronnie Hillman will run circles around us if the defense did what they did vs. Detroit. They need to step it up.

Ronnie Hillman is without a job currently in the NFL. Devontae Booker and their FB Janovich (I think that is his name) are the ones backing up C.J.Anderson.

Prediction:   Denver comes out cocky and sloppy.  Early on - Colts get a turnover and go up by seven.  Defense holds on the next series, Colts move down and stall, kicking a field goal.  With a ten-point lead the Colts gain confidence while Denver's offense feels pressure and panics,  turning the ball over again.  Colts kick another field goal and end up going into the half up 13-0.

Second half...No clue.  

LOL

3 minutes ago, Jim H. said:

Prediction:   Denver comes out cocky and sloppy.  Early on - Colts get a turnover and go up by seven.  Defense holds on the next series, Colts move down and stall, kicking a field goal.  With a ten-point lead the Colts gain confidence while Denver's offense feels pressure and panics,  turning the ball over again.  Colts kick another field goal and end up going into the half up 13-0.

Second half...No clue.  

LOL

Of all the possible outcomes next week, I would guess the Colts defense shutting out any team in a half is the least likely scenario.