Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Until the Colts Defense is Healthy.....

NewColtsFan

.....   I'd expect our games to be high scoring.       Shootouts.

We start the year and DL Jones misses the first four games,   Anderson is out for the opener, and when he gets back he'll likely be on a pitch count until he's close to 100 percent.       And Langford, while back and starting,  is going to be on a pitch count, so his impact is likely to be minimized.

Then our corners are hurt.     Vonte likely out 4 weeks.    Who knows if Robinson or Cromartie are 100 percent, or even close?     Butler is playing but not 100%.    And the other corners are giant question marks.

We're mostly old at linebacker....

Add it all up,  our defense is a huge question mark until proven otherwise.....

I'm not a betting man,  but if I was.....   i'd be taking the overs.....    I just hope we can outscore our opponents.

We open with the Lions at home....    Denver on the road....   the Chargers at home....   and J'Ville in England.        

I'm hoping for a minimum of 2-2 and perhaps even stealing a game on the road for 3-1.      We'll need it.....   the schedule gets much harder around mid-season.

I hope we can generate enough offense to win those shootouts.     Hard to see us winning defensive struggles....

We have so many new faces on the starters and rotational, i'd rather watch the Lions game and then see how the team works.Preseason don't count for squat except seeing individual efforts, but this is a team driven sport.  Let's see how the o-line meshes, and the defense works together before all lining up to jump off the cliff.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We start the year and DL Jones misses the first four games,   Anderson is out for the opener, and when he gets back he'll likely be on a pitch count until he's close to 100 percent.       And Langford, while back and starting,  is going to be on a pitch count, so his impact is likely to be minimized.

Then our corners are hurt.     Vonte likely out 4 weeks.    Who knows if Robinson or Cromartie are 100 percent, or even close?     Butler is playing but not 100%.    And the other corners are giant question marks.

I'm not a betting man,  but if I was.....   i'd be taking the overs.....    I just hope we can outscore our opponents.

We open with the Lions at home....    Denver on the road....   the Chargers at home....   and J'Ville in England.        

I'm hoping for a minimum of 2-2 and perhaps even stealing a game on the road for 3-1.      We'll need it.....   the schedule gets much harder around mid-season.

I hope we can generate enough offense to win those shootouts.     Hard to see us winning defensive struggles....

Our owner basically said the same thing the other day.  

The optimistic approach is that we may take our lumps at the beginning of the season but the team should steadily improve as guys come back and the lines gel.  

So besides the rough games we'll only have to endure all the whining here.   

We've gone to the playoffs 3 years in a row with guys like Cassius Vaughn, Pat Angerer, Mookie Johnson, Moises Fokou, Ricardo Matthews, Lawrence Guy, Tom Zibikowski, Laron Landry, Ricki Jean Francois, Teddy Williams, Jerraud Powers. Yet you want me to think 0-4 and 1-4 with Antonio Cromartie, Patrick Robinson, Robert Mathis, TJ Green, Mike Adams, Darius Butler, Akeem Ayers, Antonio Morrison, Hassan Ridgeway, Clayton Geathers, Ty Mcgill, Kendall Langford, David Parry, Curt Maggitt, Erik Walden. The new guys we just brought in already know the defense. I think we can win with the guys we have. Excuse me if I dont think its a "lets protect our poor defense" type of deal. I'm confident they will do enough to put the offense in position to score.

You never know how these games are going to go, that's why they play them.  One (some) of these reserve players that are now forced to start or play increased snaps could ball out and make a huge impact, especially as the season unfolds, who knows.

The thing I'm curious to see is how ball the bounces in these games (turnovers).  Seems like in seasons before the ball always seemed to go in the other teams favor.  If we can get a few favorable bounces and win the TO battle each game, that will go a long way in helping to put some Ws on the board until we can get to full strength.....if there is such a thing.

4 hours ago, Lef said:

It's about coaching and game planning. Belichek can scheme and usually keep his team in a game regardless of who is on the field. Let's hope Pagano and Monachino can do the same. 

His record without Brady says otherwise 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

IMO lets play 1 regular season game before we make a rush to judgement .

Instead of pessimism based on preseason IMO there are many doom & gloom threads by bored folks with opinions the game will be sunday at that point we can actually see what it is our team is trying to do lets look forward with optimism & hope . The media has spoken in there opinion our Colts suck we are the underdogs but thats why they play the games .

I start every season the same way I ignore the ignorance & focus on the game . Our Colts have proved in the past they can win 3 years straight awesome seasons 11-5 & even in a screwed up year going 8-8 they were 1 win away from the play-offs so slow your roll big boy , Believe in the Blue ..

:colts:

3 hours ago, Gavin said:

Could very well happen

4-0 could happen too, we don't know how good/bad Ted will be at this point.  He could be able to gameplan well enough to overcome injuries for all we know.  I personally doubt they go 4-0 but I won't make any real projections until I see how week one plays out.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

We've gone to the playoffs 3 years in a row with guys like Cassius Vaughn, Pat Angerer, Mookie Johnson, Moises Fokou, Ricardo Matthews, Lawrence Guy, Tom Zibikowski, Laron Landry, Ricki Jean Francois, Teddy Williams, Jerraud Powers. Yet you want me to think 0-4 and 1-4 with Antonio Cromartie, Patrick Robinson, Robert Mathis, TJ Green, Mike Adams, Darius Butler, Akeem Ayers, Antonio Morrison, Hassan Ridgeway, Clayton Geathers, Ty Mcgill, Kendall Langford, David Parry, Curt Maggitt, Erik Walden. The new guys we just brought in already know the defense. I think we can win with the guys we have. Excuse me if I dont think its a "lets protect our poor defense" type of deal. I'm confident they will do enough to put the offense in position to score.

We have a lot of guys who have potential but so did many of the guys before them and failed to deliver. My concern is more about how will our new scheme be delivered and executed. Will we attack, will we scheme to strengths, will we ADJUST in game and will be able to cover in the backfield with what cb's we have healthy? I mean we could have Lawrence Taylor and Freeny and the best of the best but we don't know what kind of defense we really have because it was pretty vanilla over the preseason so if we don't allow these guys to scheme in strengths it doesn't matter who plays, it's gonna fail. 

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

We have a lot of guys who have potential but so did many of the guys before them and failed to deliver. My concern is more about how will our new scheme be delivered and executed. Will we attack, will we scheme to strengths, will we ADJUST in game and will be able to cover in the backfield with what cb's we have healthy? I mean we could have Lawrence Taylor and Freeny and the best of the best but we don't know what kind of defense we really have because it was pretty vanilla over the preseason so if we don't allow these guys to scheme in strengths it doesn't matter who plays, it's gonna fail. 

Is it a surprise to you that is was vanilla for preseason games?

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Is it a surprise to you that is was vanilla for preseason games?

I am not shocked but I'm a little surprised we didn't try out some new wrinkles seeing as this is a new group of coaches, schemes and several new players. I am not down on the team at all, we just don't know anything about what kind of team we really have at all until they play a real game and let's see this aggressive Monachino guy strut his stuff and get our defense on the map. Our last defensive coordinator pretty much played vanilla in the preseason and during the regular season so until I see something changed, I'm wincing when the defense comes out and hoping for that history to change dramatically.  

5 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

our offense won't be easy to stop with our RB's and WR's.  we will score a ton of points.  our OL will be enough to handle our basic needs.  defense, meh

Um, we haven't ran the ball well in preseason and we have injuries on the oline so why are you feeling solid about that aspect of our team? I'll give you the wr's could give lots of trouble but they have to have time to get open and Luck needs blocking to have time to find them

5 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

This defense is really not much different from our last scheme to be honest.  Much of it is the same stuff,  but better communication,  a little more zone defense from the linebackers.  The blitzes appear to have a better design to them and the communication between the players is supposed to be much simpler.  Communication is a big deal because if you get a good handle on that you can play fast and execute your assignments much better.  Just from some of the comments that were made from the players under Manusky the communication had significant issues and it appears there was over coaching.  Ted is mostly simplifying everything and making it so guys can play faster without a lot of confusion.  I don't think its going to be that dramatically different from what we've always done.  Just more efficient.

8 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

our offense won't be easy to stop with our RB's and WR's.  we will score a ton of points.  our OL will be enough to handle our basic needs.  defense, meh

The only thing I feel that can stop us on Offense from where I sit is penalties and turnovers.  The O line must protect 12 long enough so that Luck isn't pressured into interceptions or scrambling induced fumbles, and the RB's can't put it on the ground either; notably in the Red Zone.  Of course, in protecting 12, the O line can't have drive killing holding penalties either.

Defense, not so sure what to expect there. But the bar isn't set all that high at this moment.

6 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I am not shocked but I'm a little surprised we didn't try out some new wrinkles seeing as this is a new group of coaches, schemes and several new players. I am not down on the team at all, we just don't know anything about what kind of team we really have at all until they play a real game and let's see this aggressive Monachino guy strut his stuff and get our defense on the map. Our last defensive coordinator pretty much played vanilla in the preseason and during the regular season so until I see something changed, I'm wincing when the defense comes out and hoping for that history to change dramatically.  

We were missing a number of personnel.   Saw a good double A gap blitz that worked really well and some other minor stuff.  I don't expect us to light the world on fire against Detroit, but I think they'll be good enough to give the offense something to work with.   I don't think they will be anything close to dumpster fire level.  That's all you can ask for right now. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not a shot at you or anyone in particular,  

But are posters going to continually point this out daily or even hourly all season?  If you follow the colts or even football in general, by now you should know the question marks on this team. 

Yes I know i don't have to read it or respond but I wanted to vent.

All I know is i hope this team makes a lot of people eat some crow

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

But are posters going to continually point this out daily or even hourly all season?  If you follow the colts or even football in general, by now you should know the question marks on this team. 

There will be many eating crow & I predict instant amnesia , With the doom & gloom'rs changing there tune , Too I new the Colts could do it all along .:lol: 

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

The vast majority of posters are predicting the colts to win the south and make the playoffs.  There will be like 8 people eating crow.

Grigson said in an interview the other day that Anderson looks even better than he was.  He realized that sounded hard to believe, but it was true.  THat's twice now that this guy has amazed our FO.  People hear Irsay call him one of our 2 best players along with Luck, and they get almost mad that he would make an insane comment like that.   But Irsay sees the player he's probably going to be and makes a comment like that.  Why not?  He has seen thousands of players up close come and go.  I bring this up only to say that our defense can change dramatically if Anderson turns out to be the 2nd best player on our team.  That could happen this year or next...soon.  So, I am optimistic for the future instead of pessimistic for the here and now.

57 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The only thing I feel that can stop us on Offense from where I sit is penalties and turnovers.  The O line must protect 12 long enough so that Luck isn't pressured into interceptions or scrambling induced fumbles, and the RB's can't put it on the ground either; notably in the Red Zone.  Of course, in protecting 12, the O line can't have drive killing holding penalties either.

Defense, not so sure what to expect there. But the bar isn't set all that high at this moment.

We are just fine.  Thornton is gone... :)  

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

How about harrison?

Some think he will be a better player at guard.  With Kelly calling the the protections and Harrison knowing the center spot we could have something as a good backup to Mewhort  JMO...And my observation skills do not mean anything...:)  :lecture:

1 minute ago, BrentMc11 said:

Some think he will be a better player at guard.  With Kelly calling the the protections and Harrison knowing the center spot we could have something as a good backup to Mewhort  JMO...And my observation skills do not mean anything...:)  :lecture:

That's what I've heard, just hard to trust him at this point. Hope it doesn't come to that.