Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017 Cap Space

Dark Superman

I'm curious to know what our cap situation is going to look like next off-season. As we know, Luck will get extended and he's pretty much the only Free Agent that I can think of that we really need back. Do you the Colts have salary cap space next season in order to take a stab at free agency, or do we need to lean on the draft again?

Just curious, thank you.

3 minutes ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

I'm curious to know what our cap situation is going to look like next off-season. As we know, Luck will get extended and he's pretty much the only Free Agent that I can think of that we really need back. Do you the Colts have salary cap space next season in order to take a stab at free agency, or do we need to lean on the draft again?

Just curious, thank you.

I don't know what the cap will be next season but you can pretty much bet they take the same approach to team building that they did this season. 

11 minutes ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

Just curious, thank you.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts/

62 million in cap space without lucks new deal taken into account. Also won't have to worry about spending a lot to resign 2013 draft class considering it was one of the all time worst classes

From what I've seen we're going to have close to the most in the league to spend. Hopefully our O-Line will be set and we can sign a couple star defensive players. I could see our holes being OLB, ILB, and maybe any or all of NT, DT, and CB. We'll need a RB too, but that can definitely come from the draft with all those beasts coming out next year.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I don't think Miller will make it to free agency and Wilkerson is on the DL which Indy seems to be good there. 

Indy seems to be OK there.  Jones is in the last year of his deal and Langford, while not old by any means, is on the wrong side of 30.  Anderson is the lone young buck on the DL.

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

Indy seems to be OK there.  Jones is in the last year of his deal and Langford, while not old by any means, is on the wrong side of 30.  Anderson is the lone young buck on the DL.

Jones will be a FA in 2019.

1 hour ago, backshoulderfade said:

If a guy like Wilkerson is there, and we have the cap space then Grigson will at least make the call.

I would trade for him this year.  From what I am reading they would take a 2nd, round pick and we could fit him in this year even with Luck's new contract.

10 hours ago, Krauses said:

62 million in cap space without lucks new deal taken into account. Also won't have to worry about spending a lot to resign 2013 draft class considering it was one of the all time worst classes

so more than likely we'll have about 37mil to spend....  Keeping in mind the only players from the 2014 draft class the year after are Moncrief and Mewhort.

12 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

so more than likely we'll have about 37mil to spend....  Keeping in mind the only players from the 2014 draft class the year after are Moncrief and Mewhort.

Now we just have to hope Grigson doesn't go on a spree and plays the market for value and potential instead of ability and age.

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Yeah but I believe vontaes deal will be up that year as well. Also have to take into account the 10-12 mill in rookie deals. Also won't have a single pass rusher under contract next year with Mathis, cole,walden and Moore being ufas

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I would trade for him this year.  From what I am reading they would take a 2nd, round pick and we could fit him in this year even with Luck's new contract.

Heck, i'd give a first for him and I know others here would. He would be a huge upgrade to any team. He has that position flexibility they like too. Can play 3 or 5 tech.

14 hours ago, Krauses said:

Also doesn't take into account roll over.

Here is what I figure.

62M Current Space

+13 M Rollover (Allows 3 M for in season signing)

= 75 M

- 22 M Luck Contract

= 53 M in space

Outside of Luck there arn't any huge players we have to re-sign for big $$$.  Maybe Zack Kerr will get an RFA deal but it won't be huge. 

Mathis is on there as well as Cole, Butler, Adams, Walden, Thornton and Moore.  But most of those guys are aging and I would hope to replace them with younger players.  The two guys on there that arn't aging are Thornton and Moore and neither is really good/irreplaceable. 

17 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Assuming our O-Line and the rest of our offense is set.....Sign Von Miller and either Brandon Marshall (ILB) or Kiko Alonso and then fill the rest through the draft and we're set.

Miller will want a 100+ million dollar contract.   He is great,   but no thanks

43 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Here is what I figure.

62M Current Space

= 75 M

- 22 M Luck Contract

= 53 M in space

Outside of Luck there arn't any huge players we have to re-sign for big $$$.  Maybe Zack Kerr will get an RFA deal but it won't be huge. 

Mathis is on there as well as Cole, Butler, Adams, Walden, Thornton and Moore.  But most of those guys are aging and I would hope to replace them with younger players.  The two guys on there that arn't aging are Thornton and Moore and neither is really good/irreplaceable. 

I think we also pick up space letting D Jackson , F Gore and maybe Reitz walk. Gore and Jackson will be long in the tooth and past prime. Reitz will probably be just an expensive back up. Also if Arthur Jones can't stay healthy and perform , that's another 5.5 savings against the cap. 

IMO at the least Jackson and Gore are cut as there is 9 mil savings for 2 old players. Their contracts are structured to do just that as theta dead money for both is 250K. No cap hit with Reitz and 2.2 mill with Jones.

19 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Assuming our O-Line and the rest of our offense is set.....Sign Von Miller and either Brandon Marshall (ILB) or Kiko Alonso and then fill the rest through the draft and we're set.

Von Miller has stated he won't be leaving Denver

Idk... I like the idea of going after a guy like Miller or somebody with real game wrecking ability, but I'm not really about going on a 50 mil. spree to plug up roster holes. That "Dream Team" stuff almost never works, either

I think it might be wise to front-load Luck's contract for cap flexibility in the future. We can still keep plenty of cap for a big FA or two next off-season, but we will keep ourselves in a position to be able to re-sign our priority draftees from the '14 class and beyond...  

15 hours ago, Krauses said:

Isn't Thornton the only guy left from that class? And he may be long gone with our new class. I'd think we could sign a couple key players...maybe a proven pass rusher? 

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

I think we also pick up space letting D Jackson , F Gore and maybe Reitz walk. Gore and Jackson will be long in the tooth and past prime. Reitz will probably be just an expensive back up. Also if Arthur Jones can't stay healthy and perform , that's another 5.5 savings against the cap. 

IMO at the least Jackson and Gore are cut as there is 9 mil savings for 2 old players. Their contracts are structured to do just that as theta dead money for both is 250K. No cap hit with Reitz and 2.2 mill with Jones.

Maybe, but they have to be replaced first before we can let them walk.  And I doubt we can replace them all via the 2017 draft.  

However I suppose with all that cap space we could potentially find some FA's to replace them.  

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Also the cap will be going up another 10 million so that gives us even more!!!!!!  :rock:

Overthecap takes that into account when calculating the cap space.  It puts the base cap space for 2016 as $155,270,000.  For 2017 it estimates the base cap to be at $166,000,000

So it's estimates are fairly accurate.

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Love Kiko but Von Miller isn't making it out of Denver.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Maybe, but they have to be replaced first before we can let them walk.  And I doubt we can replace them all via the 2017 draft.  

However I suppose with all that cap space we could potentially find some FA's to replace them.  

If  the 2016 draft is reasonably good , Reitz's replacement is already on the roster. This also depends on if the view Reitz as a starter or backup. I'm thinking backup. Gore with another year of wear as tear will be easily replaced with a day 2 draft pick or free agent. IMO , no issue replacing a RB of that age. So that leaves you Jackson and maybe Jones. Use day one and the other pick in day 2 two of 2017 draft on LB and safety. DL is probably the deepest part of our roster. Plus you have all the cap room we are talking about. 

LB will be the biggest area of need as you have Mathis and Jackson past prime and we aren't figuring Waldron to be on the team has this is his contract year. So really you don't have one sure fire good starter penciled in for 2017. 

18 hours ago, BOTT said:

Jones has three years remaining, his contract expires after 2018. I doubt he plays that contract out.

7 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Here is what I figure.

62M Current Space

= 75 M

- 22 M Luck Contract

= 53 M in space

If we have that much cap space, plus rollover I would not be surprised to see Luck's contract front loaded, so that will take away from flexibility in FA, but I would rather do it that way so his contract becomes less of a percentage of our cap over time.

There will be a period due to 2013 draft which is going to help us salary cap wise. One thing to note though, at least in the first round, CBS looked at that class about a week ago and it was one of the worst draft classes in a long time, at least the first round. Of course ours were all the rounds. Still will help in the long run.

I would like to be like Denver. Our line on both sides should be solid by that time. Hopefully we will only need a few pieces like Denver did before their Superbowl season which they addressed through FA.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Jones has three years remaining, his contract expires after 2018. I doubt he plays that contract out.

Yeah, I'm just assuming nothing is guaranteed after he 3 and he will be gone.

If Miller does hit the open market by some miracle. I don't see why you guys wouldn't want us to sign him. We need a guy like him. A game wrecking, freak EDGE rusher. The thing is we should also draft an OLB in the 1st even if we signed Miller or another guy, but if we don't sign a big time OLB and just draft one. I mean if he's a beast we'll be having to give him a huge contract in 4-5 years anyway. So why not just sign Miller if he hits the open market? With a couple big signings and another good draft we should go into next season as the best team in the NFL, but we have to have a double digit sack EDGE rusher 1st.

I think Mathis will have a good year this year and I think we'll bring him back for another year or 2. Other than that the only guy I see us possibly re-signing would be Thornton IF he has a breakout year and fully reaches his enormous potential. But Gore, Butler, Walden, Cole, DQ. Those guys will be gone. HOPEFULLY these things happen and we wont have many holes to fill next offseason other than EDGE and 1-2 more. 1) Our offensive line is completely set. 2) TJ Green turns out to be a gem, future top 5 FS and is our guy opposite Geathers for the next several years. 3) Ridgeway balls out and he and Anderson are our starting DE's for the next several years. 4) D'Joun Smith turns out to be a beast nickel corner. and 5) Morrison plays great and locks down one of the ILB spots. If just a few of those things come to fruition then we wont have many holes next offseason. Just OLB and ILB and RB pretty much.