Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

richard pallo

Would you trade next years No. 1 for

Recommended Posts

Mohammed Wilkerson?   I just read that is what the Jets are asking for.  The article didn't mention if it was this years or next years pick.  Of course they would have to find a way to make the money work but If you were the GM would you do it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I would give up next year's number 1 pick for Muhamed Wilkerson this year. Would give the Jets Salary-cap Relief. Would give the Colts a disruptive force in the middle and allow this year's pics to be for playmakers around him and protecting luck. Besides ideally the Colts will be picking in the high 20s next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yes, but only if there's a contract in place. And I'd want it to be conditional...

 

I am with you on the contract and conditional. 

 

It is an interesting trade that would certainly improve our team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. Our defensive line as it stands is pretty solid and the strength of our defense. If we were talking Von Miller then absolutely. 

 

Wilkerson is really good but he has no contract in place, the Jets aren't known for making very cap friendly contracts. 

 

There is a good draft class this year and next year. I'd rather use them to strengthen our weak positions instead of bolstering a position where we are already strong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be a no-brainer of a trade. The Colts lack play-makers on the defense and MW is one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last rumor I heard was Niners 7th for Wilkerson and the Jets 20th.  So I wouldn't trade straight up for the 18th pick this season.  Then the issue becomes do I think the Colts pick will be late, I mean 28, 29, 30..., because that's the deal the 49ers were offered apparently, and that would seem more reasonable to me.  I think my answer is no, between the gamble on when the pick next year is, and the salary cap hit... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

No. Our defensive line as it stands is pretty solid and the strength of our defense. 

 

Our DL is merely average. Langford is 30, Anderson is hurt, Parry is serviceable at best. You don't turn up your nose at a proven game changing player like Wilkerson because of anyone we have.

 

If you don't like the cost, fine. Don't want to give up a high pick, okay. But not because of what we already have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Our DL is merely average. Langford is 30, Anderson is hurt, Parry is serviceable at best. You don't turn up your nose at a proven game changing player like Wilkerson because of anyone we have.

 

If you don't like the cost, fine. Don't want to give up a high pick, okay. But not because of what we already have.

 

What we have is a huge factor.  Obviously Mo would be an enormous upgrade over what we have, but you might make the contract and giving away a first work if it was a glaring need.  It's not, so I don't see stretching for the other factors. 

 

Replace him with a pass rusher and I do it, because we badly need a pass rusher so I am willing to give up what I normally wouldn't.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wig said:

 

What we have is a huge factor.  Obviously Mo would be an enormous upgrade over what we have, but you might make the contract and giving away a first work if it was a glaring need.  It's not, so I don't see stretching for the other factors. 

 

Replace him with a pass rusher and I do it, because we badly need a pass rusher so I am willing to give up what I normally wouldn't.  

I might be mistaken but I believe he had 12 sacks last year which is pretty good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

isnt his contract up after next season?  i wouldnt trade for that

 

i guess he could sign a new one but there doesnt seem to be much incentive for him to sign with the colts now, rather than wait until he is a free agent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None for me thanks. It's the wrong combination. I don't want to give up a high pick and sign a mega deal. One or the other is fine by me but not both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

isnt his contract up after next season?  i wouldnt trade for that

 

i guess he could sign a new one but there doesnt seem to be much incentive for him to sign with the colts now, rather than wait until he is a free agent

He was franchised this year.  We would acquire him and then work a deal to sign him long term.  Star players like Mo get their money eventually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

None for me thanks. It's the wrong combination. I don't want to give up a high pick and sign a mega deal. One or the other is fine by me but not both.

With Mo on board and Luck returning for a full year, and hopefully a strong draft, we should be drafting at the end of the draft again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He was franchised this year.  We would acquire him and then work a deal to sign him long term.  Star players like Mo get their money eventually. 

it seems like he would get more if he waited until free agency.  he could talk to every team and go to who offers the most(or pick some place he likes better), rather then sign with the colts now when no one else can bid

 

i dont see why this would be appealing to him, unless we made a crazy offer which we could do anyway if we wait a year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I would assume that the Jets want THIS YEAR'S first round pick,  not next years.    I don't think they'd want to wait a full year to get Wilkerson in what will likely be a worse pick next year than it would be this year.

 

That said,  I'd be in Superman's camp....    not unless we have a new contract agreed to.....

 

I'm suspicious that the Jets would be happy with only a 1st for Wilkerson....   I suspect they'd want more....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Our DL is merely average. Langford is 30, Anderson is hurt, Parry is serviceable at best. You don't turn up your nose at a proven game changing player like Wilkerson because of anyone we have.

 

If you don't like the cost, fine. Don't want to give up a high pick, okay. But not because of what we already have.

I agree....we also don't have any long term contracts to negotiate after Lucks too. Besides my favorite disruption is interior pass rush. It can force the qb off his spot and to roll out and typically right into the arms of rushing end who has been blocked wide. Most qbs feel more comfortable stepping up in the pocket to avoid a rush but if you put pressure in their face then it makes it hard for them to see their receivers and step into throws. Interior penetration also disrupts the run game. In a year where outside pass rush is weak we could supplement ours with interior. I'm not sure I'd want to give up our 18 but our 2 this year or a future 1 possibly if we have him locked up. One thing about DTs is that their play isn't determined by others success. They don't need a pass rush to help them like a cb...or corners to help cover to give a pass rush time to get there...if they are good and win they are disruptive to an offense all on their own and star DTs to me can effect play on all 3 downs. Guys like a Reggie White or a Warren Sapp in their prime could destroy a game plan. Mo is very special...love to have a guy like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I might be mistaken but I believe he had 12 sacks last year which is pretty good. 

 

Sure did and it sure is. But he's had 2 double digit sack years out of 5, with 5.5 last year. He's a very good 34 DE pass rusher, but it's not the same as an elite edge rusher which is what I was referring to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes 100%. Get Spence and Austin Johnson this year in the 1st and 3rd and trade our 17 1st for Mo Wilkerson, but like Supe said. With a contract in place. All of a sudden our front 7 would be lethal. Imagine this D-Line..........

 

Anderson-Johnson-Wilkerson

 

With Langford, McGill, Kerr, Parry rotating in. Art Jones could be cut as it'd be awfully expensive to have both he and Langford as backups. And IMO Langford is the better player.

 

                                          

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

No. Our defensive line as it stands is pretty solid and the strength of our defense. If we were talking Von Miller then absolutely. 

 

Wilkerson is really good but he has no contract in place, the Jets aren't known for making very cap friendly contracts. 

 

There is a good draft class this year and next year. I'd rather use them to strengthen our weak positions instead of bolstering a position where we are already strong. 

They are the heart of the 25th ranked defense.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wig said:

 

What we have is a huge factor.  Obviously Mo would be an enormous upgrade over what we have, but you might make the contract and giving away a first work if it was a glaring need.  It's not, so I don't see stretching for the other factors. 

 

Replace him with a pass rusher and I do it, because we badly need a pass rusher so I am willing to give up what I normally wouldn't.  

 

He would upgrade the pass rush dramatically. Interior pressure is just as important as edge pressure, and he's one of the best at pressuring QBs inside.

 

Being satisfied with our very average DL rotation isn't a good reason to back away from adding a game changer. Like I said, the money is one thing, the pick is another. Nothing we have now would stop me from grabbing Wilkerson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the Jets must be planning on replacing him with someone.  That player must be relatively good but a lot cheaper.  Likely a  player on a rookie contract.

 

I'd rather trade next year's #2 for that guy and let the Jets resign Wilkerson and keep their number 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, the Jets must be planning on replacing him with someone.  That player must be relatively good but a lot cheaper.  Likely a  player on a rookie contract.

 

I'd rather trade next year's #2 for that guy and let the Jets resign Wilkerson and keep their number 1.

They aren't trading Leonard Williams for a #2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Superman said:

 

Our DL is merely average. Langford is 30, Anderson is hurt, Parry is serviceable at best. You don't turn up your nose at a proven game changing player like Wilkerson because of anyone we have.

 

If you don't like the cost, fine. Don't want to give up a high pick, okay. But not because of what we already have.

 

138ff0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Superman said:

 

He would upgrade the pass rush dramatically. Interior pressure is just as important as edge pressure, and he's one of the best at pressuring QBs inside.

 

Being satisfied with our very average DL rotation isn't a good reason to back away from adding a game changer. Like I said, the money is one thing, the pick is another. Nothing we have now would stop me from grabbing Wilkerson.

 

The interior pressure for the team is pretty good.  Langford led the team in sacks and Anderson will surely bring more once healthy.  Meanwhile, edge pressure for the team is pathetic.  Outright pathetic.  Could the interior of the line be upgraded?  Of course.  But it's one of the stronger position groups while edge pressure is the weakest part of the defense.  There is a huge difference between them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wig said:

 

The interior pressure for the team is pretty good.  Langford led the team in sacks and Anderson will surely bring more once healthy.  Meanwhile, edge pressure for the team is pathetic.  Outright pathetic.  Could the interior of the line be upgraded?  Of course.  But it's one of the stronger position groups while edge pressure is the weakest part of the defense.  There is a huge difference between them.  

My thought is that getting push/pressure up the middle is going to prevent the QB from being able to step up in the pocket consistently, allowing for the guys coming around on the edges to have a better play on him...I mean, our D line played better than expected, but was still quite average. Wilkerson would likely make it one of the better ones in the nfl, especially from am interior pass rush aspect, which would positively impact the rest of the defense. You're obviously much higher on the current D line than I am though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill Barnwell of ESPN just published an article on potential post draft trades that could still happen after the teams review their needs and situations.  There is a section on Mo Wilkerson and how the Jets were trying tp get a 1st. in this years draft.  With that scenario now gone he thinks they might have to settle for a 2nd. in next years draft.  The Jets are up against the wall with cap space and can barely fit his franchise tag in.   He mentions the Colts with enough space, 18.8M, to fit him and Luck in this year.  He also mentions the Bears, Saints and Bucs as possible landing spots but their situations don't appear as likely as the Colts.  I can see Grigson trading a 2nd. like he did for Vontae.  What a huge upgrade he would be.  I guess it's wait and see now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not worth the demolition of the cap space. There is no question that Wilkerson is a premier player. But I just don't see Luck Wikerson contracts working sympatically. The Colts cannot afford this guy with all of their other needs and obligations. I'd love to be wrong but I don't believe I am. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 29, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Manning1887 said:

Absolutely NOT! Wilkerson is coming off an injury and he will put us in cap hell!

Seattle has signed Wilson and legit defensive studs like Sherman, Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Micheal Bennett, Wagnor.  There will always be some cap issues when you have a talented roster, but what's the alternative?  Don't have talented players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Seattle has signed Wilson and legit defensive studs like Sherman, Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Micheal Bennett, Wagnor.  There will always be some cap issues when you have a talented roster, but what's the alternative?  Don't have talented players?

 

My biggest problem is giving up the #1 draft pick in order to bring in a player that will get a HUGE paycheck. I would have less of a problem if he was a free agent we were bringing in and giving a huge contract to. 

 

I like Wilkerson just fine, and I agree that we need to bring in talented defensive players, but we need to develop our own talent via the draft. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Manning1887 said:

 

My biggest problem is giving up the #1 draft pick in order to bring in a player that will get a HUGE paycheck. I would have less of a problem if he was a free agent we were bringing in and giving a huge contract to. 

 

I like Wilkerson just fine, and I agree that we need to bring in talented defensive players, but we need to develop our own talent via the draft. 

 

 

I think you overvalue the #1pick.  Wilkerson is young and the Colts are unlikely to get a player of his caliber picking in the mid to low 20's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BOTT said:

I think you overvalue the #1pick.  Wilkerson is young and the Colts are unlikely to get a player of his caliber picking in the mid to low 20's.

This years draft wouid have been the perfect draft to trade our #1. 

 

I would love to add Wilkerson. I would be reluctant to trade our 2017 1st. We will be able to get an edge rushers and our franchise RB the first 2 rounds. We could land 2 OLB's and the RB the first 2 days. 

 

The RB class is being described as  historic. When you start looking at the edge class it is going to be very good too. 

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, akcolt said:

This years draft wouid have been the perfect draft to trade our #1. 

 

I would love to add Wilkerson. I would be reluctant to trade our 2017 1st. We will be able to get an edge rushers and our franchise RB the first 2 rounds. We could land 2 OLB's and the RB the first 2 days. 

 

The RB class is being described as  historic. When you start looking at the edge class it is going to be very good too. 

 

  

I couldn't give two poops about a franchise RB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Question:  If Eberflus was to walk?   Answer:  I'm not sure I would care.
    • I wouldn't be the least bit upset if the entire franchise folded
    • what the organization needs to do is stop making training camp family friendly and bust theses guys *ses and toughen them up. If you cant handle the work, you dont make the 53. no rest days. you can't go, you get cut. In the end, you either have one tough team that knows what is expected of them or no team with no false expectations.
    • i'd love to see their superbowls stripped
    • Crazy strong WR class. There will be some very very good WRs lasting until the 4th and 5th rounds. There are several very goods one I don't even see named.    I'm probably going X regardless of who the QB is. If JB is still here, I'm going bigger X. If a new QB, a faster X, or a fast tweener.   Note: This is a Big Board, so RK is ranking inclusive of all positions, and not projected draft pick. Z or traditional Slot Bolded Blue X or big/bully Slot Bolded Red Tweeners are not bolded or colored     RK  PLAYER  SCHOOL  YEAR  *-RK   HT   WT 3 Jerry Jeudy  Alabama Jr  WR1 6-1 192 9 CeeDee Lamb  Oklahoma  Jr  WR2  6-2  189 12  Henry Ruggs III  Alabama  Jr  WR3  6-0 190 18  Tee Higgins  Clemson  Jr  WR4  6-4  215 21  Laviska Shenault Jr.  Colorado  Jr  WR5  6-2  220 27  Jalen Reagor  TCU  Jr  WR6  5-11  195 33  Justin Jefferson  LSU  Jr  WR7  6-3  192 39  Devonta Smith  Alabama  Jr  WR8  6-1  175 48  Tyler Johnson  Minnesota  Sr  WR9  6-2  205 54  Bryan Edwards  South Carolina  Sr  WR10  6-3  215 59  Tylan Wallace  Oklahoma St.  Jr  WR11  6-0  185 60  Collin Johnson  Texas  Sr  WR12  6-6  220 76  Michael Pittman Jr.  USC  Sr  WR13  6-4  220 86  Nico Collins  Michigan  Jr  WR14  6-4  222 89  Tyler Vaughns  USC  Jr  WR15  6-2  190 90  Brandon Aiyuk  Arizona St.  Sr  WR16  6-1  206 91  Sage Surratt  Wake Forest  Soph  WR17  6-3  215 94  Devin Duvernay  Texas  Sr  WR18  5-11  210 97  Denzel Mims  Baylor  Sr  WR19  6-3  215 98  Chase Claypool  Notre Dame  Sr  WR20  6-5  229
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...