Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you trade next years No. 1 for

Yes I would give up next year's number 1 pick for Muhamed Wilkerson this year. Would give the Jets Salary-cap Relief. Would give the Colts a disruptive force in the middle and allow this year's pics to be for playmakers around him and protecting luck. Besides ideally the Colts will be picking in the high 20s next year.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yes, but only if there's a contract in place. And I'd want it to be conditional...

I am with you on the contract and conditional. 

It is an interesting trade that would certainly improve our team. 

No. Our defensive line as it stands is pretty solid and the strength of our defense. If we were talking Von Miller then absolutely. 

Wilkerson is really good but he has no contract in place, the Jets aren't known for making very cap friendly contracts. 

There is a good draft class this year and next year. I'd rather use them to strengthen our weak positions instead of bolstering a position where we are already strong. 

The last rumor I heard was Niners 7th for Wilkerson and the Jets 20th.  So I wouldn't trade straight up for the 18th pick this season.  Then the issue becomes do I think the Colts pick will be late, I mean 28, 29, 30..., because that's the deal the 49ers were offered apparently, and that would seem more reasonable to me.  I think my answer is no, between the gamble on when the pick next year is, and the salary cap hit... 

11 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

No. Our defensive line as it stands is pretty solid and the strength of our defense. 

Our DL is merely average. Langford is 30, Anderson is hurt, Parry is serviceable at best. You don't turn up your nose at a proven game changing player like Wilkerson because of anyone we have.

If you don't like the cost, fine. Don't want to give up a high pick, okay. But not because of what we already have.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

Our DL is merely average. Langford is 30, Anderson is hurt, Parry is serviceable at best. You don't turn up your nose at a proven game changing player like Wilkerson because of anyone we have.

If you don't like the cost, fine. Don't want to give up a high pick, okay. But not because of what we already have.

What we have is a huge factor.  Obviously Mo would be an enormous upgrade over what we have, but you might make the contract and giving away a first work if it was a glaring need.  It's not, so I don't see stretching for the other factors. 

Replace him with a pass rusher and I do it, because we badly need a pass rusher so I am willing to give up what I normally wouldn't.  

5 minutes ago, wig said:

What we have is a huge factor.  Obviously Mo would be an enormous upgrade over what we have, but you might make the contract and giving away a first work if it was a glaring need.  It's not, so I don't see stretching for the other factors. 

Replace him with a pass rusher and I do it, because we badly need a pass rusher so I am willing to give up what I normally wouldn't.  

I might be mistaken but I believe he had 12 sacks last year which is pretty good. 

isnt his contract up after next season?  i wouldnt trade for that

i guess he could sign a new one but there doesnt seem to be much incentive for him to sign with the colts now, rather than wait until he is a free agent

12 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

isnt his contract up after next season?  i wouldnt trade for that

i guess he could sign a new one but there doesnt seem to be much incentive for him to sign with the colts now, rather than wait until he is a free agent

He was franchised this year.  We would acquire him and then work a deal to sign him long term.  Star players like Mo get their money eventually. 

8 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

None for me thanks. It's the wrong combination. I don't want to give up a high pick and sign a mega deal. One or the other is fine by me but not both.

With Mo on board and Luck returning for a full year, and hopefully a strong draft, we should be drafting at the end of the draft again. 

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He was franchised this year.  We would acquire him and then work a deal to sign him long term.  Star players like Mo get their money eventually. 

it seems like he would get more if he waited until free agency.  he could talk to every team and go to who offers the most(or pick some place he likes better), rather then sign with the colts now when no one else can bid

i dont see why this would be appealing to him, unless we made a crazy offer which we could do anyway if we wait a year

I would assume that the Jets want THIS YEAR'S first round pick,  not next years.    I don't think they'd want to wait a full year to get Wilkerson in what will likely be a worse pick next year than it would be this year.

That said,  I'd be in Superman's camp....    not unless we have a new contract agreed to.....

I'm suspicious that the Jets would be happy with only a 1st for Wilkerson....   I suspect they'd want more....

58 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree....we also don't have any long term contracts to negotiate after Lucks too. Besides my favorite disruption is interior pass rush. It can force the qb off his spot and to roll out and typically right into the arms of rushing end who has been blocked wide. Most qbs feel more comfortable stepping up in the pocket to avoid a rush but if you put pressure in their face then it makes it hard for them to see their receivers and step into throws. Interior penetration also disrupts the run game. In a year where outside pass rush is weak we could supplement ours with interior. I'm not sure I'd want to give up our 18 but our 2 this year or a future 1 possibly if we have him locked up. One thing about DTs is that their play isn't determined by others success. They don't need a pass rush to help them like a cb...or corners to help cover to give a pass rush time to get there...if they are good and win they are disruptive to an offense all on their own and star DTs to me can effect play on all 3 downs. Guys like a Reggie White or a Warren Sapp in their prime could destroy a game plan. Mo is very special...love to have a guy like that.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I might be mistaken but I believe he had 12 sacks last year which is pretty good. 

Sure did and it sure is. But he's had 2 double digit sack years out of 5, with 5.5 last year. He's a very good 34 DE pass rusher, but it's not the same as an elite edge rusher which is what I was referring to. 

Yes 100%. Get Spence and Austin Johnson this year in the 1st and 3rd and trade our 17 1st for Mo Wilkerson, but like Supe said. With a contract in place. All of a sudden our front 7 would be lethal. Imagine this D-Line..........

Anderson-Johnson-Wilkerson

With Langford, McGill, Kerr, Parry rotating in. Art Jones could be cut as it'd be awfully expensive to have both he and Langford as backups. And IMO Langford is the better player.

2 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

No. Our defensive line as it stands is pretty solid and the strength of our defense. If we were talking Von Miller then absolutely. 

Wilkerson is really good but he has no contract in place, the Jets aren't known for making very cap friendly contracts. 

There is a good draft class this year and next year. I'd rather use them to strengthen our weak positions instead of bolstering a position where we are already strong. 

They are the heart of the 25th ranked defense.......

2 hours ago, wig said:

He would upgrade the pass rush dramatically. Interior pressure is just as important as edge pressure, and he's one of the best at pressuring QBs inside.

Being satisfied with our very average DL rotation isn't a good reason to back away from adding a game changer. Like I said, the money is one thing, the pick is another. Nothing we have now would stop me from grabbing Wilkerson.

Well, the Jets must be planning on replacing him with someone.  That player must be relatively good but a lot cheaper.  Likely a  player on a rookie contract.

I'd rather trade next year's #2 for that guy and let the Jets resign Wilkerson and keep their number 1.

47 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, the Jets must be planning on replacing him with someone.  That player must be relatively good but a lot cheaper.  Likely a  player on a rookie contract.

I'd rather trade next year's #2 for that guy and let the Jets resign Wilkerson and keep their number 1.

They aren't trading Leonard Williams for a #2

5 hours ago, Superman said:

138ff0.jpg

14 hours ago, Superman said:

He would upgrade the pass rush dramatically. Interior pressure is just as important as edge pressure, and he's one of the best at pressuring QBs inside.

Being satisfied with our very average DL rotation isn't a good reason to back away from adding a game changer. Like I said, the money is one thing, the pick is another. Nothing we have now would stop me from grabbing Wilkerson.

The interior pressure for the team is pretty good.  Langford led the team in sacks and Anderson will surely bring more once healthy.  Meanwhile, edge pressure for the team is pathetic.  Outright pathetic.  Could the interior of the line be upgraded?  Of course.  But it's one of the stronger position groups while edge pressure is the weakest part of the defense.  There is a huge difference between them.  

4 hours ago, wig said:

The interior pressure for the team is pretty good.  Langford led the team in sacks and Anderson will surely bring more once healthy.  Meanwhile, edge pressure for the team is pathetic.  Outright pathetic.  Could the interior of the line be upgraded?  Of course.  But it's one of the stronger position groups while edge pressure is the weakest part of the defense.  There is a huge difference between them.  

My thought is that getting push/pressure up the middle is going to prevent the QB from being able to step up in the pocket consistently, allowing for the guys coming around on the edges to have a better play on him...I mean, our D line played better than expected, but was still quite average. Wilkerson would likely make it one of the better ones in the nfl, especially from am interior pass rush aspect, which would positively impact the rest of the defense. You're obviously much higher on the current D line than I am though.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Barnwell of ESPN just published an article on potential post draft trades that could still happen after the teams review their needs and situations.  There is a section on Mo Wilkerson and how the Jets were trying tp get a 1st. in this years draft.  With that scenario now gone he thinks they might have to settle for a 2nd. in next years draft.  The Jets are up against the wall with cap space and can barely fit his franchise tag in.   He mentions the Colts with enough space, 18.8M, to fit him and Luck in this year.  He also mentions the Bears, Saints and Bucs as possible landing spots but their situations don't appear as likely as the Colts.  I can see Grigson trading a 2nd. like he did for Vontae.  What a huge upgrade he would be.  I guess it's wait and see now.

Not worth the demolition of the cap space. There is no question that Wilkerson is a premier player. But I just don't see Luck Wikerson contracts working sympatically. The Colts cannot afford this guy with all of their other needs and obligations. I'd love to be wrong but I don't believe I am. 

On April 29, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Manning1887 said:

Absolutely NOT! Wilkerson is coming off an injury and he will put us in cap hell!

Seattle has signed Wilson and legit defensive studs like Sherman, Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Micheal Bennett, Wagnor.  There will always be some cap issues when you have a talented roster, but what's the alternative?  Don't have talented players?

59 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Seattle has signed Wilson and legit defensive studs like Sherman, Chancellor, Earl Thomas, Micheal Bennett, Wagnor.  There will always be some cap issues when you have a talented roster, but what's the alternative?  Don't have talented players?

My biggest problem is giving up the #1 draft pick in order to bring in a player that will get a HUGE paycheck. I would have less of a problem if he was a free agent we were bringing in and giving a huge contract to. 

I like Wilkerson just fine, and I agree that we need to bring in talented defensive players, but we need to develop our own talent via the draft. 

48 minutes ago, Manning1887 said:

My biggest problem is giving up the #1 draft pick in order to bring in a player that will get a HUGE paycheck. I would have less of a problem if he was a free agent we were bringing in and giving a huge contract to. 

I like Wilkerson just fine, and I agree that we need to bring in talented defensive players, but we need to develop our own talent via the draft. 

I think you overvalue the #1pick.  Wilkerson is young and the Colts are unlikely to get a player of his caliber picking in the mid to low 20's.

5 hours ago, BOTT said:

I think you overvalue the #1pick.  Wilkerson is young and the Colts are unlikely to get a player of his caliber picking in the mid to low 20's.

This years draft wouid have been the perfect draft to trade our #1. 

I would love to add Wilkerson. I would be reluctant to trade our 2017 1st. We will be able to get an edge rushers and our franchise RB the first 2 rounds. We could land 2 OLB's and the RB the first 2 days. 

The RB class is being described as  historic. When you start looking at the edge class it is going to be very good too. 

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

This years draft wouid have been the perfect draft to trade our #1. 

I would love to add Wilkerson. I would be reluctant to trade our 2017 1st. We will be able to get an edge rushers and our franchise RB the first 2 rounds. We could land 2 OLB's and the RB the first 2 days. 

The RB class is being described as  historic. When you start looking at the edge class it is going to be very good too. 

I couldn't give two poops about a franchise RB.