Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Please, no more Harrison at Center

lennymoore24

6 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

They are both inadequate but Holmes is much worse.  I hope to see neither play Center again for the Colts.

I am much much higher on Holmes, zbs will really benefit him, injuries however is the worst factor

I don't think any of us know what we have in an oline this year due to the new ZBS installation. Heck, Holmes or Harrison could become our new stars and Mewhort and Constanzo could become sore spots, we've not seen them play zbs yet in the NFL together. This is one of those times where you will have to trust the evaluation from the coaches on who can do what and who they feel can make the transition. 

15 hours ago, twfish said:

I am much much higher on Holmes, zbs will really benefit him, injuries however is the worst factor

He has played in 17 games and missed 36 (48 regular/5 playoff) in his career.  So yeah injuries are a huge factor.  

I guess my main problem with him stems from one play last season where he resembled a matador just before Andrew got smoked.  His cowardice in the trenches is going to get Luck killed.  Jeff Saturday, though a bit small, never punked out like Holmes.

I've stated this for years. Most of our personnel on the o-line strength was meant to be used in a zone blocking scheme. We do have a clue of what it's going to look like. We switch to the scheme week 9 and after. Harrison imo isn't the problem. Coaching was and will forever be. We just have to wait until the 28th to see what we address.

1 hour ago, Clem-Dog said:

He has played in 17 games and missed 36 (48 regular/5 playoff) in his career.  So yeah injuries are a huge factor.  

I guess my main problem with him stems from one play last season where he resembled a matador just before Andrew got smoked.  His cowardice in the trenches is going to get Luck killed.  Jeff Saturday, though a bit small, never punked out like Holmes.

That's funny when I think of Harrison I only think of the 60 or so times where he was just wandering in space and both gaps were occupied by the other team and Luck or the RB was blown up in about a second.

1 hour ago, Surge89 said:

That's funny when I think of Harrison I only think of the 60 or so times where he was just wandering in space and both gaps were occupied by the other team and Luck or the RB was blown up in about a second.

Preach it.  I don't disagree.

I guess it's time for my annual J. Harrison getting blocked and pushed back by his team mate, a wide receiver!  {this version is not the Chris Carter C'mon man!}

OK, can't resist that one either-

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10041931

{In fairness the J.Harrison, he was to pull and the receiver to crackback the trailing opposing LB.  They got tangled together and the results are funny.

On 4/4/2016 at 4:18 PM, pgt_rob said:

Part of me thinks that Harrison or Holmes will be playing center next season. Hopefully we can grab one in the 2nd round.

I hope you're wrong. At least about Harrison. I mean the guy can't snap a football correctly lol 

21 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

Yeah I don't know if it's me or not but Holmes in all honesty though sometimes sound fundamentally, is often injured and just plain seems to lack the strength toughness to play effectively at an NFL level, keyword being effectively.  

Neither Holmes nor Harrison need to snap a football for the Colts again. Unlike Thorton, I don't think a ZBS is going to help them. Especially since Pagano said we will be using "zone concepts" and not a full out ZBS (although eventually I expect it to be a full switch). All signs seem to point to the Colts drafting a new center anyways. The Colts O-Line coaches have been at pro days for Boehm, Allen, and Blythe.

Right now we're barely 7 deep on the OL (Castonzo, Mewhort, Holmes, Harrison, Thornton, Reitz, Goode), expect to go into the season with 9 total OL. Expect both to stay (since they cost nothing in salary), and pickup 2 more OL in the draft and FA.

As bad as they may be, not a chance we only go into camp 6-7 OLs total.

On 4/4/2016 at 0:58 PM, lennymoore24 said:

I hope I don't ever have to see Jon Harrison play center again for the Colts  He is so limited.  It is painful.

Hey, remember a couple of years ago when AQ Shipley was playing Center and the line looked pretty decent and Shipley was actually playing well and all of a sudden without warning we see Harrison in there and he mishandled like half a dozen snaps his first game? Wasnt that fun?:headspin:

On April 4, 2016 at 10:58 AM, lennymoore24 said:

I hope I don't ever have to see Jon Harrison play center again for the Colts  He is so limited.  It is painful.

Before we toss away players like yesterday's garbage,  I'd like to see what they can do with a year's worth of coaching from Joe Philbin and the Zone Blocking Scheme.

It's possible a number of our lineman are going to get significantly better this season.    At least,  I sure hope so!

Next year?   2017?     That's another story.......

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Before we toss away players like yesterday's garbage,  I'd like to see what they can do with a year's worth of coaching from Joe Philbin and the Zone Blocking Scheme.

It's possible a number of our lineman are going to get significantly better this season.    At least,  I sure hope so!

Next year?   2017?     That's another story.......

A ZBS is not some automatic saving grace for players who aren't that good. A center, regardless of scheme, needs to be a leader, tough, a decent athlete, and be cerebral. Neither Holmes nor Harrison have all of the combined factors. The Colts are probably going to draft a new center.

Thorton is the one guy who the system might help. He's powerful and athletic and has been a good run blocker. 

The Colts don't have the luxury to wait and see how all the lineman will adjust to the new scheme. The health of the franchise QB is at stake.

On April 9, 2016 at 0:14 PM, Defjamz26 said:

A ZBS is not some automatic saving grace for players who aren't that good. A center, regardless of scheme, needs to be a leader, tough, a decent athlete, and be cerebral. Neither Holmes nor Harrison have all of the combined factors. The Colts are probably going to draft a new center.

Thorton is the one guy who the system might help. He's powerful and athletic and has been a good run blocker. 

The Colts don't have the luxury to wait and see how all the lineman will adjust to the new scheme. The health of the franchise QB is at stake.

Of course you missed the biggest point I made --- not a surprise.

In case you haven't noticed,  we not only have a new scheme we have a new offensive line coach.    Hello?!?

It's the new coach I'm considering as well as the new scheme.   A ZBS scheme is easier to learn and perform.

That's why most high schools and colleges and NFL teams run it.      Hello?!?

Man/Power blocking is much more precise,  takes a specific kind of talent,  and if it doesn't work as drawn up, has less opportunity for success than ZBS.     Stanford runs man/power.    I've got some idea on the differences.

As for Holmes -- he has everything you want in a center.   Almost everything.    What he has not shown is the ability to stay healthy and perform at a good enough level.     That's why he hasn't worked out.    Whether or not we get a new center or not -- and I hope we do -- I'm still hoping that Philbin makes Holmes better so that if he has to play,  he performs at a higher level.