Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WHAT IF we drafted Zeke

ive been thnking about this a lot ever since i seen 2 mocks on NFL.com that had us taking Elliot at 18. Im not saying it would be the best choice, but this guy has got the skills to be the next Todd Gurley, the next premier running back. Imagine if we could lean on our running game 45-60% of the time with Gore and Elliot in the backfield, take all the pessure off Andrew, solidify the Oline through FA and late in the draft, and since the draft is deep on defense we could still get quality players picks 2-5. Im just saying with Elliot being a possible elite RB and a very good chance he is there at 18 its something to think about. Our offense would almost be unstoppable with Luck in play action most of the time, and defenses would have to respect it.

Well I've said this at least 2 times. But if we draft Elliott at 18. Then we better have just won free agency. Because bringing in a premier EDGE rusher, a good corner, a good C and a good G is way more important than a RB. Lets fix the OL, and maybe draft Howard, Perkins, Collins, Procise, Dixon or Williams in the 3rd.

I'd be cool with taking him. There's less and less people I really really want in the first round. It's a deep draft for lineman and there not alot of pass rushers I'd jump up and down for that would fall to us. I was thinking Spence but I have a feeling the FO may be afraid of taking him after what happened with Newsome. If he's there and no one big has fallen then take him

5 minutes ago, twfish said:

Lol the colts too Addai in the first round and won the superbowl that year lmao

So the last time was 10 years ago and Addai wasn't even the best Colts RB in the game.  Now when was the time before that?  

There might be a pattern here?

2 minutes ago, wig said:

So the last time was 10 years ago and Addai wasn't even the best Colts RB in the game.  Now when was the time before that?  

Lol Addai had over 1,000 yards rushing that year and I'm pretty sure he made the pro bowl that year. And I highly doubt the last time was 10 years ago I just knew that off the top of my head. I'll look for ya though bud.....

19 minutes ago, wig said:

Go find out when the last time a team won the SB with a RB they took in the 1st and get back to me,

i dont see your argument, i could say the same thing about most other positions. Are you saying if we draft an edge rusher or a guard or even a center were going to win the superbowl?

6 minutes ago, wig said:

So the year Seattle went to the super bowl there first pick was a running back (2nd round but it was still there first pick)

4 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

i dont see your argument, i could say the same thing about most other positions. Are you saying if we draft an edge rusher or a guard or even a center were going to win the superbowl?

It's an invalid argument since it can be used for almost every position 

20 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

lol thats actually a very funny question cause the most recent team was us when we drafted Addai in 06 bahaha

and when the offensive line went downhill so did Addai.  Why people still think running backs are worth a 1st rounder is beyond me.  

If we take him we better knock the rest of the draft out of the park. It wouldn't be the worst thing though because Floyd and Billings are the only 2 guys I'm looking at at 18.

As long as the rest of the draft is good I'm cool. Plus we need to fix the line in FA. Maybe get a new RG and center.

The interviews with Grigson are painting him in a different picture this year.  Money is tighter, Luck's contract, said we might not be able to keep both TEs, he wants to keep more of our players as opposed to bringing in lots of outside FAs, and he is realizing you can't build Rome in a day.  So, I think he takes what the draft gives him, grabs a few FAs and lives to fight another day.  We just aren't going to solve all of our problems this year, imo.  So, if Spense isn't there and Conklin isn't there, then he might pick Elliot.  I wouldn't think so, but he might.

28 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Of course that's not what I'm saying.  What I am saying is that you don't build a SB team by drafting a RB in the first.  Especially a year after selecting a WR in the first.  They're both flashy positions that a lot of fans love, but that's it.

I am all for it!  He has been my choice from the very beginning.  My only concern is that someone will take him earlier.  The common thought is you don't take a RB in the 1st round.  Well he is no average RB.  He is in the top ten of all the players in the whole draft!  Believe me someone will take him and probably Henry too.  That theory was blown up last year and will get blown up again this year.   I just hope it's us.  

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

The interviews with Grigson are painting him in a different picture this year.  Money is tighter, Luck's contract, said we might not be able to keep both TEs, he wants to keep more of our players as opposed to bringing in lots of outside FAs, and he is realizing you can't build Rome in a day.  So, I think he takes what the draft gives him, grabs a few FAs and lives to fight another day.  We just aren't going to solve all of our problems this year, imo.  So, if Spense isn't there and Conklin isn't there, then he might pick Elliot.  I wouldn't think so, but he might.

I think irsay told him to stop wasting his money.

4 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

ive been thnking about this a lot ever since i seen 2 mocks on NFL.com that had us taking Elliot at 18. Im not saying it would be the best choice, but this guy has got the skills to be the next Todd Gurley, the next premier running back. Imagine if we could lean on our running game 45-60% of the time with Gore and Elliot in the backfield, take all the pessure off Andrew, solidify the Oline through FA and late in the draft, and since the draft is deep on defense we could still get quality players picks 2-5. Im just saying with Elliot being a possible elite RB and a very good chance he is there at 18 its something to think about. Our offense would almost be unstoppable with Luck in play action most of the time, and defenses would have to respect it.

God forbid they draft a running back in the first, this forum would explode lol.............

Personally, I'd be indifferent as I think he's going to be at least a pretty good RB at the next level.  They have more pressing needs though it seems. 

4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I would be fine with the selection as long as we fix the offensive line in free agency

If we draft Elliot that doesn't mean we won't draft any o lineman, as we probably will.

I'd love the pick. Hands down the best back in the draft and would be a good replacement once Gore calls it quits.

8 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I would be fine with the selection as long as we fix the offensive line in free agency

FA is the only we will immediately upgrade the OL. What rookie G is going to beat out Thorton? A rookie C would have trouble jumping Holmes by week 1 IMO. 

I would not touch Zeke at 18. Comparing him to Gurley. He's not Gurley. We need help on D the first 2 days.  

Gore needs help for sure. I would sign an inexpensive vet. Someone had us signing Bilan Powell in a mock. I like that. I could get behind drafting a RB late or UDFA not in the 1st. We have Gore mostly likely his final year as a Colt. We grab our franchise RB next year from loaded class.

If Pagano's voice is going to be heard I expect D in the 1st. I think the guy for us is Billings. 

I`m not a fan of taking any RB in the 1st round period. Fortunately for the Colts, they will not have to worry about drafting Elliot as he will be long gone before the Colts pick. He`s a legit bell cow 3 down back. If for some reason he was there at 18 and Grig`s pulled the trigger, I`d have to come to terms with the fact that the Colts now have a franchise RB.  

If we draft Elliot we better be prepared as Colts fans to miss the playoffs for two consecutive years. We really need to hit this draft on defense with an edge rusher that can play and be productive now. We also need at least two other starters on defense IMO. We obviously also need OL a future starting C and G. I don't think the Colts will hit the FA market hard so this draft is critical. 

I would rather get a FA rb or a late sixth or seventh rd draft pick. 

2 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

If we draft Elliot we better be prepared as Colts fans to miss the playoffs for two consecutive years. We really need to hit this draft on defense with an edge rusher that can play and be productive now. We also need at least two other starters on defense IMO. We obviously also need OL a future starting C and G. I don't think the Colts will hit the FA market hard so this draft is critical. 

While a would loathe the pick, the Colts would not miss the playoffs.  With Chud at the helm the Colts offense is going to be potent.....Elliot or no Elliot.  Now, would they be a serious SB contender with the current defense?  No.

3 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I'd be ecstatic with Elliot pick.

Adrian Peterson > Bjoern Werner or Tony Ugoh.

27 minutes ago, BOTT said:

While a would loathe the pick, the Colts would not miss the playoffs.  With Chud at the helm the Colts offense is going to be potent.....Elliot or no Elliot.  Now, would they be a serious SB contender with the current defense?  No.

Why would u draft a rb? O-line is a major problem. If the offense could stay on the field a little longer, the defense wouldn't be gassed all the time.

I wouldn't flip out like I did last year when they announced Dorsett as our pick. My biggest problem with drafting Elliot is the fact that it would almost certainly make this an offensive based draft. We need to draft a C, and also need a G so I feel that would take 3 of our first 5 picks. With all the defensive talent in this draft, I'd like to get an upgrade either at NT in Billings if he's there, LB if Lawson, Spence, or someone else deemed worthy by the team is there, or CB if Hargreaves somehow falls, or even Fuller or maybe Apple. If there's no one at those positions you're comfortable taking, then go ahead and take Zeke. Grigs and Pagano love a good blocking back, and with the OLine and RB addressed, the offense would theoretically be completed.

21 hours ago, wig said:

Go find out when the last time a team won the SB with a RB they took in the 1st and get back to me,

Here are some 1st round running backs who have Super Bowl rings:

Franco Harris, Marcus Allen, Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, Marshall Faulk, Jamal Lewis, Jerome Bettis, Joe Addai, Reggie Bush, Marshawn Lynch

I'm sure there are more.

11 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

Franco Harris, Marcus Allen, Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, Marshall Faulk, Jamal Lewis, Jerome Bettis, Joe Addai, Reggie Bush, Marshawn Lynch

I'm sure there are more.

Most of that list was 30 years ago. Bush wasn't an impact player. Lynch and Bettis weren't drafted by the team they won with. That leaves Addai from the last 30 years of your list. 

1 hour ago, jim scheurich said:

Why would u draft a rb? O-line is a major problem. If the offense could stay on the field a little longer, the defense wouldn't be gassed all the time.

Because the draft is not for filling needs.

That said, RBs aren't worthy of first round picks, IMO. Elliott is gonna be good, though.

1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:
28 minutes ago, ponyboy said:
1 minute ago, Superman said:

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

That said, RBs aren't worthy of first round picks, IMO. Elliott is gonna be good, though.

Drafts not for filling needs? I think so.

I'm sure there are more.

I wouldn't flip out like I did last year when they announced Dorsett as our pick. My biggest problem with drafting Elliot is the fact that it would almost certainly make this an offensive based draft. We need to draft a C, and also need a G so I feel that would take 3 of our first 5 picks. With all the defensive talent in this draft, I'd like to get an upgrade either at NT in Billings if he's there, LB if Lawson, Spence, or someone else deemed worthy by the team is there, or CB if Hargreaves somehow falls, or even Fuller or maybe Apple. If there's no one at those positions you're comfortable taking, then go ahead and take Zeke. Grigs and Pagano love a good blocking back, and with the OLine and RB addressed, the offense would theoretically be completed.

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

let me try this again. I believe draft is definitely for filling needs. WE have way more needs than RB. Somebodys gonna have a good back though.