Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Conklin high on the Colts wish list

4 hours ago, MPStack said:

Can Conklin play guard? Especially if D. Good has a strong spring to go along with preseason.

He looks like he can play guard to me!

I think Conklin is a good player. I don't get the obsession some have on the forum with drafting defense in the first round. It seems like people just assume we'll automatically be getting a Von Miller if we do that. It all depends on who is on the board at 18. I'd much rather add an O-lineman than draft the next Bjoren Werner. 

OTs are always over drafted in the first round, so if you want one, don't expect a franchise OT to fall to round 2. I would be fine with it. 

Joe Reitz is a swing tackle, not a franchise RT at this point, he is a stop gap, we still need a young one that can be developed to be a RT for several years.

7 hours ago, Track Guy said:

He looks like he can play guard to me!

I think Conklin is a good player. I don't get the obsession some have on the forum with drafting defense in the first round. It seems like people just assume we'll automatically be getting a Von Miller if we do that. It all depends on who is on the board at 18. I'd much rather add an O-lineman than draft the next Bjoren Werner. 

Conklin did play some guard in college if my memory serves me correctly.

The question is......   do the Colts want to invest a #1 in a RT?  

Perhaps yes,  perhaps no.    RT's can be found in the 3rd or 3rd round.

But to me,  it's not hard to see that we need an upgrade at RT among other spots on the o-line.

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sounds like some doofus friend publically placed Conklin with the Colts in his mock draft, now there is a need to backfill with impartial data needed to support the claim.

Can you please put this into simple english so the rest of us know what you're trying to say?

Conklin has been on everyone's 1st round board for months and months.    The Colts need offensive lineman, and he's been mocked to us by a large number of people who do mock drafts..... 

The other OT mocked to the Colts has been Ohio State's Taylor Decker.

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

There literally no reason to draft a RT, let alone one in the 1st round.

So you're comfortable with the combination of Retie and Good?

If so,  how would you like to address the OL issues?     We need a center -- do we need a guard as well?

How are you filling them?     Draft?    Free Agency?     Both?

I'm curious as to how you see the Colts fixing our on-going OL problems....

I look forward to your answer.....

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Can you please put this into simple english so the rest of us know what you're trying to say?

Conklin has been on everyone's 1st round board for months and months.    The Colts need offensive lineman, and he's been mocked to us by a large number of people who do mock drafts.....

The other OT mocked to the Colts has been Ohio State's Taylor Decker.

I was just having some fun with the notion that people who do professional mock's picked the Colts selecting a RT at #18 for months.  Now that the offseason has gotten into full gear and they have time to focus on each team's situation, they're making up the idea that Colts management is actually considering a RT at #18 as a way to support their ignorant pick.  I was just being cynical.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If so,  how would you like to address the OL issues?     We need a center -- do we need a guard as well?

I'd sign a G in free agency. Go after one of the upper-tier players is possible. Osmele would be my first choice. 

As for C it doesn't really matter to me. Not many players I like in the draft so I don't have a problem rolling with Harrison or Holmes for one more season (it's not an important position so you can get away with a below-average player there)

Man, this would disappoint me.  A moderately athletic, tough-as-nails RT who used to play basketball to replace our moderately athletic, almost-as-tough-as-nails RT who used to play basketball.  And with possible heir-apparent draft steal Denzelle Good waiting and developing.  Seems like a terrible idea to target a relatively set position when there are multiple areas that need attention, all because of a general notion that the Colts need to add the best OL possible.  Also, does anyone else think that Reitz was quietly a top-half-of-the-league RT last year (when he was playing that position)?

2 hours ago, Archer said:

Man, this would disappoint me.  A moderately athletic, tough-as-nails RT who used to play basketball to replace our moderately athletic, almost-as-tough-as-nails RT who used to play basketball.  And with possible heir-apparent draft steal Denzelle Good waiting and developing.  Seems like a terrible idea to target a relatively set position when there are multiple areas that need attention, all because of a general notion that the Colts need to add the best OL possible.  Also, does anyone else think that Reitz was quietly a top-half-of-the-league RT last year (when he was playing that position)?

Reitz? Not sure how bad the rest of the right tackles are. He was quite mediocre and not hard to upgrade.
 IMO, Good will have to lay on the couch all off season not to beat him out.
  Thornton in a contract year, they expect him to kick some tail.

Now if you draft Conklin and he wins the RT spot, Great. Now you have a developing Good who gives you some depth over a long season and into the future.
 Conklin also provides quality depth at the Guard position. And who knows, he might be or become a solid backup/ starter at LT if needed. I hope Long Term, for the O-Line to be a Consistent area of STRENGTH.
 He would be worth our pick.

I expect Grigson to ride with Good/Reitz for next season.
  If they draft a Center (high probability) to compete with Holmes/Harrison to start, then they sign a vet backup G, or they they will draft one later.
  Irsay will want to spend $$ on the O-Line out of Shame...
  But he is more ashamed of that D so i expect D in rd one!

Yeah, there's more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to addressing team needs.  If you wanted to start Conklin at RG until if/when he's needed to move to RT, then that would make more sense to me.  It would obviate the need to add a big FA OG (Osemele will be so disappointed).  However, that's too much youth in the interior of the line for my taste.  Rookie C and RG, with Mewhort the old man in his 3rd year.  Works better if we get a veteran C to tie it together.  It's an art, but I'd prefer to get a stud RG in FA, draft a center, and leave the RT position unaddressed for a year to see what we've got in Reitz/Good going forward.

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The question is......   do the Colts want to invest a #1 in a RT?  

Perhaps yes,  perhaps no.    RT's can be found in the 3rd or 3rd round.

But to me,  it's not hard to see that we need an upgrade at RT among other spots on the o-line.

Ha, that 3rd round or that other elusive 3rd round!!!

Ha just busting chops, but I agree, A few players on the defensive side of the ball & address the line in either FA or mid rounds...

4 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Ha, that 3rd round or that other elusive 3rd round!!!

Ha just busting chops, but I agree, A few players on the defensive side of the ball & address the line in either FA or mid rounds...

Sorry about that.....   I meant 2nd or 3rd round.

My bad!

It wouldn't surprise me if he drafted Conklin at some point.  Outside of being a good player, Grigson likes to make matches like that.  Jack Mewhort and Jack Conklin.  Just like you have Good protecting Luck. Good Luck! He likes doing stuff like that.  Or having Cherilus and Costanzo at both tackles knowing they played together at Boston College.  He likes cohesive types of stuff.  Vontae Davis and Greg Toler playing together knowing they are both from Virginia.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Reitz? Not sure how bad the rest of the right tackles are. He was quite mediocre and not hard to upgrade.
 IMO, Good will have to lay on the couch all off season not to beat him out.
  Thornton in a contract year, they expect him to kick some tail.

Now if you draft Conklin and he wins the RT spot, Great. Now you have a developing Good who gives you some depth over a long season and into the future.
 Conklin also provides quality depth at the Guard position. And who knows, he might be or become a solid backup/ starter at LT if needed. I hope Long Term, for the O-Line to be a Consistent area of STRENGTH.
 He would be worth our pick.

I expect Grigson to ride with Good/Reitz for next season.
  If they draft a Center (high probability) to compete with Holmes/Harrison to start, then they sign a vet backup G, or they they will draft one later.
  Irsay will want to spend $$ on the O-Line out of Shame...
  But he is more ashamed of that D so i expect D in rd one!

Harrison is getting cut. It'll be Holmes vs whatever Center we draft. 

I like Holmes but I'm curious as to how he stays if he couldn't even beat out Harrison. The guy who is probably getting cut? I don't know Holmes might be headed out the door too. Show both of them the door and maybe try Heenan there along with picking up Mack

On February 18, 2016 at 4:52 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Fixing the OL shouldn't be that difficult. It's not as bad as it seems. You sign an NFL caliber startng C. We haven't had one in years. That is the key to the whole thing. You don't dratt a C you sign a proven player. The line is already 10x better. You aren't constantly getting beat at the point of attack. 

I would go with Davis or Wisnewski. That one move would improve the OL greatly. C is the weakest position on the team. I think Grig's brings in Mack for a splash after almost losing his job. I'd prefer one of the younger less expensive guys. 

Then you bring in Jeff Allen from KC. He had locked up RT in the preseason for KC before getting injured came back to play RG. He would challenge Thorton and Good for a spot on the right side. 

Ideally Good is what Grig's and Irsay seem to think he is. I'm not so sure. The worst case is Thorton Allen on the right side best case Allen Good. Either way you have upgraded the right side. 

You now have Reitz back to the primary back up. Thorton off the bench. We don't know what Heenan can do. I would love to see Holmes Harrison Louis all gone.

The C from TCU or Missouri St. is signed as an UDFA my guess either can win back up job. I'd grab the G from Iowa he should be UDFA too. Sorry I am to lazy to look up the names. 

In the draft you might bump into an OL day 3 as well. 

8 hours ago, akcolt said:

Fixing the OL shouldn't be that difficult. It's not as bad as it seems. You sign an NFL caliber startng C. We haven't had one in years. That is the key to the whole thing. You don't dratt a C you sign a proven player. The line is already 10x better. You aren't constantly getting beat at the point of attack.

I would go with Davis or Wisnewski. That one move would improve the OL greatly. C is the weakest position on the team. I think Grig's brings in Mack for a splash after almost losing his job. I'd prefer one of the younger less expensive guys.

Then you bring in Jeff Allen from KC. He had locked up RT in the preseason for KC before getting injured came back to play RG. He would challenge Thorton and Good for a spot on the right side.

Ideally Good is what Grig's and Irsay seem to think he is. I'm not so sure. The worst case is Thorton Allen on the right side best case Allen Good. Either way you have upgraded the right side.

You now have Reitz back to the primary back up. Thorton off the bench. We don't know what Heenan can do. I would love to see Holmes Harrison Louis all gone.

The C from TCU or Missouri St. is signed as an UDFA my guess either can win back up job. I'd grab the G from Iowa he should be UDFA too. Sorry I am to lazy to look up the names.

In the draft you might bump into an OL day 3 as well.

I share your optimism on the OL, and I agree that the Center position has been the weakest link.  However, I'm not enthralled with Stefan Wiesniewski or Mack (too expensive, and his best football is behind him).  The rookie centers likely available to us in the 2nd are good values and I'd pencil one in.  Instead, in FA I'd go for a stud, veteran OG to play our right side.  Ideally, Osemele, but Mike Harris (MINN) or Brandon Brooks (HOU).  But, as has been said, there is more than one way to fill your needs.

5 hours ago, Archer said:

I share your optimism on the OL, and I agree that the Center position has been the weakest link.  However, I'm not enthralled with Stefan Wiesniewski or Mack (too expensive, and his best football is behind him).  The rookie centers likely available to us in the 2nd are good values and I'd pencil one in.  Instead, in FA I'd go for a stud, veteran OG to play our right side.  Ideally, Osemele, but Mike Harris (MINN) or Brandon Brooks (HOU).  But, as has been said, there is more than one way to fill your needs.

I don't think we can gamble on a rookie C I hope we don't. We need someone with experience that can hold down the spot, I would prefer Jones of the 3 then Wisnewski lastly Mack for the reasons you stated. I'm telling you we are so bad st C any of the 3 would do wanders for the OL. Mewhort and Thorton or whoever it maybe will benefit greatly.

I just have a feeling after all that's happened Grig's will want to turn heads by signing a former pro bowl player at the weakest position on the team C. I think he brings Mack in. 

I don't have much hope for Osemele. I don't think we do much in FA. We will sign our own.  I would be happy with a C and an upgrade at CB. Allen would be a bonus and really solidify the OL. I could see us drafting a G to push on the right side. I don't think we go  OT in the first if at all. They seem to think they have the future in Good. 

I think everything boils down too what Grigson does in FA does he go Defense or Offense. I for one saw lots of offensive players in the draft in the second and or third round that can move around on this offensive line and be a upgrade over last season. Their is a kid out of Texas A&M that can play guard or RT and LT projected to go in the second RD. Then their is a kid out of Notre Dame that plays Center who is projected a 2nd or 3rd RD. So again it is how Grigson goes after FA 

13 hours ago, akcolt said:

I don't think we can gamble on a rookie C I hope we don't. We need someone with experience that can hold down the spot, I would prefer Jones of the 3 then Wisnewski lastly Mack for the reasons you stated. I'm telling you we are so bad st C any of the 3 would do wanders for the OL. Mewhort and Thorton or whoever it maybe will benefit greatly.

I just have a feeling after all that's happened Grig's will want to turn heads by signing a former pro bowl player at the weakest position on the team C. I think he brings Mack in. 

I don't have much hope for Osemele. I don't think we do much in FA. We will sign our own.  I would be happy with a C and an upgrade at CB. Allen would be a bonus and really solidify the OL. I could see us drafting a G to push on the right side. I don't think we go  OT in the first if at all. They seem to think they have the future in Good. 

If you think Grigson is going to try to turn heads then you haven't been paying attention.  There are no signs that he is susceptible to that motivation. 

On 2/19/2016 at 4:43 PM, krunk said:

I like Holmes but I'm curious as to how he stays if he couldn't even beat out Harrison. The guy who is probably getting cut? I don't know Holmes might be headed out the door too. Show both of them the door and maybe try Heenan there along with picking 

My thinking would be that the new OL coach would see Holmes as a good fit and give him another shot, while seeing Harrison as a more of a nose tackle than a center, and be ready to move on. That's how I see it...