Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

World Record Press Conference !!!

The Old Crow

11 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

For the most Uh's and Um's in the history of press conferences. In all seriousness , I'm happy for Chuck, but from an outsider's perspective , it seemed to be a pretty uncomfortable press conference. 

I agree.  Grigson does not look happy.

Just so you guys don't think I'm picking on you, I'm sure the Ravens 5-11 press conference will also be very uncomfortable. 

I just found the press conference a bit odd. I agree with you, non-verbally Grigson would not even look at Pagano. Then , the punching of the shoulders, and uncomfortable bullying comments. Interesting press conference for making no changes. 

3 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

You thinking more say so in personnel decisions? Essentially Grigson getting neutered just a bit?

Has to be. Irsay went out of his way to praise Pags. Not as much love sent to Grigson. 

30 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Grigson never looks happy he's a jerk pure and simple.

Really, I thought he just got a 3 year contract extension.  He's a quiet guy who feels uncomfortable being part of the center of attention...so he hates pressers.  That's my read.

18 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Has to be. Irsay went out of his way to praise Pags. Not as much love sent to Grigson. 

yeah.  But it was a presser for Pagano.  Jimmy even said that they were not going to announce anything for Ryan, just like when they picked up his option last summer.

Chuck is the spokeperson for the Colts.  Grigson is behind the scenes guy.  Really, there was no reason for him to be in the room..it was Chuck's night.

30 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Chuck sure did.....for a minute there I thought he was gonna crack a "So this GM walks into a bar....." joke.

32 minutes ago, IndyTrav said:

Dan Snyders opening argument to the NFL on why the term Redskins isn't offensive. 

*Holds up photo of Jim Irsay at today's press conference* 

lmaolmao 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

yeah.  But it was a presser for Pagano.  Jimmy even said that they were not going to announce anything for Ryan, just like when they picked up his option last summer.

Chuck is the spokeperson for the Colts.  Grigson is behind the scenes guy.  Really, there was no reason for him to be in the room..it was Chuck's night.

I disagree. With all the turmoil during the season and all the reports of these two not even speaking any longer. If you are bringing back a coach who was thought to be gone by all accounts and a GM that had all these reports of being a meddler, I think it was important to sell that this group are going to move forward as a pair and be in better harmony for the ticket base. I didn't get that feeling in this presser. I got that Grigson didn't get what he wanted, Pagano gets his control over his coaching and player personnel and will be judged based on that. If Grigson got an extension today as well, it wasn't clarified. Just said they are moving on together and we already knew that Grigs has one more year remaining on his contract. I look forward to a really solid draft though from Grigson. 

First, I'm sure not everything is the same. Second, let's wait and see how this pans out. Like everyone I was unhappy with the player personnel but I don't get paid to comment on inside workings of NFL teams. It's easy to get steamed when things go wrong and they sure went south this season. The players are happy with Pagano and I don't have a clue how they feel about the GM but it says tons that not only is Pagano back but he now has a four year contract and if things were uneasy between him and Grigson he just got a nice shot in the arm from the boss. I had an idea Pagano was coming back after waiting for the press conference at 3 Eastern time that dragged on until about 4:30 when it was announced it was not going to happen. Chuck strong. 

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Him and Pagano embraced as they were walking through the door out of the conference room 

Ah. Must have missed the last little bit. However, I still think pagano gets his way this year. Obviously speculation at this point, but I'm hopeful. 

14 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I disagree. With all the turmoil during the season and all the reports of these two not even speaking any longer. If you are bringing back a coach who was thought to be gone by all accounts and a GM that had all these reports of being a meddler, I think it was important to sell that this group are going to move forward as a pair and be in better harmony for the ticket base. I didn't get that feeling in this presser. I got that Grigson didn't get what he wanted, Pagano gets his control over his coaching and player personnel and will be judged based on that. If Grigson got an extension today as well, it wasn't clarified. Just said they are moving on together and we already knew that Grigs has one more year remaining on his contract. I look forward to a really solid draft though from Grigson. 

Maybe.  I don't think grigson was ever really Pagano's boss.  I think Pagano may have been a bit timid towards Ryan, if anything.  I'm sure that Pagano now got direct acknowledgement from Irsay that Irsay signs his paychecks and not Grigson.  

But they did clearly say that the term of Grigson's contract was extended to expire with Pagano's.  

I don't think that the purpose of the conference was to start up the soap opera questions and discussions.  Irsay pretty clearly set the record for what he thought the situation was then and for what it will be in the future.  He called Pagano "my coach" indicating to me that both Ryan and Chuck report to him directly.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Maybe.  I don't think grigson was ever really Pagano's boss.  I think Pagano may have been a bit timid towards Ryan, if anything.  I'm sure that Pagano now got direct acknowledgement from Irsay that Irsay signs his paychecks and not Grigson.  

But they did clearly say that the term of Grison's contract was extended to expire with Pagano's.  

I don't think that the purpose of the conference was to start up the soap opera questions and discussions.  Irsay pretty clearly set the record for what he thought the situation was then and for what it will be in the future.  He called Pagano "my coach" indicating to me that both Ryan and Chuck report to him directly.

I did not hear them say specifically that they extended his contract. I heard them say basically that they would be joined at the hip together but all I got was inference that they would both expire together but I didn't hear extended Grigson contract.  If that's accurate, my bad. I was probably cussing and in disbelief that we actually renewed the contract of Pags after 4 lackluster coaching years with winning records in the Afc south division. I'm still not satisfied with this move but maybe we will get a few solid coordinator changes and Pagano can be the positive face of the franchise and let the coordinators do their part. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the media is full of it as usual and made up stuff. If Grigs and Pagano didn't get along than Irsay wouldn't of brought both back. Common sense.

I think there was definitely some tension between the two, although I'm sure the media stoked it more. I took it as Irsay saying that you two are joined at the hip and better get along, or the next press conference will be different. 

That being said, I think it's to Irsay's credit that he took a measured approach to possible change by looking at the overall record the last four years. It's not a bad four year run, and this year was a throw out with Luck injured. 

I watched his dad fire coaches on a dime, so stability isn't a bad thing, and you don't want to be the Browns every two years. 

51 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I think there was definitely some tension between the two, although I'm sure the media stoked it more. I took it as Irsay saying that you two are joined at the hip and better get along, or the next press conference will be different. 

That being said, I think it's to Irsay's credit that he took a measured approach to possible change by looking at the overall record the last four years. It's not a bad four year run, and this year was a throw out with Luck injured. 

I watched his dad fire coaches on a dime, so stability isn't a bad thing, and you don't want to be the Browns every two years. 

I am glad both stayed. 1 bad season doesn't make a franchise. If the Colts go 8-8 or worse next season with a healthy Luck then we have a problem. I don't see that happening though. I think this season was a complete fluke. Andrew getting injured never happens.

Does anyone really know how bad things were between these guys? I mean, I don`t think anyone expected both of them to be back period! If it was this bad, can they patch things up and work together? Will Chuck have more say about personnel decisions next season? Personally, I would would my GM and Coach to have a good relationship. Retaining both these guys just doesn`t feel right IMO.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am glad both stayed. 1 bad season doesn't make a franchise. If the Colts go 8-8 or worse next season with a healthy Luck then we have a problem. I don't see that happening though. I think this season was a complete fluke. Andrew getting injured never happens.

You guys are closer to the situation than me, but it hasn't been a bad four year run. Luck is entering his prime, and the priority should be to get an O Line to protect him. Much as I would hate to lose him, you guys should be looking at Osemeli of the Ravens. KO is young and good, and I doubt we have the money to pay him since we already paid Yanda. 

1 hour ago, jet1968 said:

Anybody ever notice how Grigson always thumps on table or desk when talking. I find that terribly annoying when people do that not to mention it puts doubt in my mind to trust what they are saying.

He looked as happy as having 4 wisdom teeth pulled out without novacane. Chuck looked thrilled as if he won the lotto jackpot. Jimmy looked like post juice 1990's MLB player of shrinking in size.

15 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Chuck sure did.....for a minute there I thought he was gonna crack a "So this GM walks into a bar....." joke.

LOL.  Out of likes, but haha.

Jim started patting Chuck on the back and I though Chuck was going to go through the roof with joy.