Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bring Manning back home to be GM.

MCurtis32

Grigson was a player and talent scout. His first time out hasn't gone well. Let him go elsewhere. Manning has run his term in Denver. He needs to be the colts OC and GM. Let Pagano do what he does best, motivate and teach. Give the offense to Manning for Luck to move forward. It would take the bad vibe out of the locker room and this team could move forward.

I also had the thought of bringing Manning in as the new OC, but hadn't thought about pairing that with the GM position.  Whatever is done, the GM and HC need to be on the same page and work together on personnel decisions...if they are constantly butting heads, then there is no progress.

There are very few franchise type coaches out there, just like there are very few franchise QBs...coaches seem to just move from job to job, with very few staying in one place for a long time with a lot of success.  There are too many factors involved...you have to have an owner that's on board; a GM with vision and good people around him for draft preparation and execution (scouts, etc.); a sound strategy for the coaching staff to maximize the players they have, and to me the most important is to have players who perform.  The best game plan doesn't work if there's no execution on a consistent basis.  You can have a Hall of Fame coach, but if the players don't execute, then there won't be much success.  Likewise, coaches have to make adjustments and try a different approach if the plan isn't working, even if the execution is there.  And, of course, injuries always play a big part during the course of a season.

Whatever happens this offseason, let's hope good decisions are made for the front office, coaching staff, player management and the draft.  We have a very successful franchise and we have become spoiled, in a sense, with our past success.  There are lots of franchises that wish they had the success we have enjoyed over the past 15+ seasons.  I know we should always strive to win the Super Bowl each year, but in the end, only one team does.  We have a class franchise with classy fans...to me that always results in a "successful" season.

Here's to a great 2016!!!

I don't know, seems unlikely. I could, however, see Irsay bringing in Jeff Saturday as an o-line coach, or potentially GM if he were to move on from Grigson at some point. He's smart, has an o-line pedigree, was a player's union guy, and he'd be a homerun with fans.

As far as Manning goes, if he decides to stay in football, I see him going back to Tennesse in some capacity, either at UT or in Nashville working with the Titans. Otherwise I think there's a long TV analyst career waiting for him.

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't know, seems unlikely. I could, however, see Irsay bringing in Jeff Saturday as an o-line coach, or potentially GM if he were to move on from Grigson at some point. He's smart, has an o-line pedigree, was a player's union guy, and he'd be a homerun with fans.

As far as Manning goes, if he decides to stay in football, I see him going back to Tennesse in some capacity, either at UT or in Nashville working with the Titans. Otherwise I think there's a long TV analyst career waiting for him.

There was a report I believe from Rappaport saying there was a potential chance Bill Polian and Peyton Manning were considering jobs in the Titans front office.  I forgot where I read it.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

There was a report I believe from Rappaport saying there was a potential chance Bill Polian and Peyton Manning were considering jobs in the Titans front office.  I forgot where I read it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I like Jeff Saturday but not sure he would be a good GM. He doesnt have any scouting or real front office experience. No doubt he is a smart guy.

5 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

I like Jeff Saturday but not sure he would be a good GM. He doesnt have any scouting or real front office experience. No doubt he is a smart guy.

What evidence is there that Peyton would be a good offensive Coordinator, general manager, or coach?

Just now, ViriLudant said:

What evidence is there that Peyton would be a good offensive Coordinator, general manager, or coach?

Well, if by "evidence" you mean prior experience as a coach I guess none. But if you consider that he has run one of the most innovative offensive systems in the NFL over the last 17  years then there's that.

I believe that Peyton is done with the Colts organization.  I would guess that he'd rather not retire a Colt, or come back to the team in any capacity.  I could see him going to the Titans...a good chance to put the screws to the Colts a couple of times a year which I'm guessing he'd enjoy.  He'll be in the Ring of Honor so he'll at least come back for the ceremony.  Beyond that, he's done here and I think it's very important that people move on from him. 

Thankfully his work with the children's hospital will probably never cease, that's a part of his legacy that I think he places a lot of importance on. 

59 minutes ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

There is zero evidence that Manning would be an effective GM or OC.  

Right - he never could orchestrate an offense like a mad genius.  uh huh.....

IMO he has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt his ability to be a student of the game.   I think he would be a great OC - though not sure it is something he is interested in doing.

I thought it was an intriguing thought. The Luck and Manning family go way back. I do not think Manning holds anything against the Colts or any body else. He is a competitive power house. I don't think TV broadcasting would satisfy that drive. If it is not offered to him, he will probably end up with the titans  or New Orleans and become quite successful at what ever the capacity.

2 hours ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

There is zero evidence that Manning would be an effective GM or OC.  

Zero evidence? Really? He knows how to read defenses. And he knows how to run an offense. We're not talking about Curtis painter or whitehurst here.

4 hours ago, theanarchist said:

I'd love to have him in some type of scouting position for good o-line talent. Hell, I'd like it if he suited up at center for us, I'm sure he's still better than Harrison & Holmes.

I don't see any possible way either of those things happen. Why people think Manning would be a good GM is lost on me. Successfully building a roster is an extremely complex process that takes years of experience in scouting/front office positions to have an idea how it all runs. Asking a freshly retired player (if he decides to) to be the architect of the team is is terrible idea.

The thought that Manning could be a good OC or QB coach is a bit farfetched as well. Typically players that are extremely good/elite aren't good at coaching or teaching others. Seeing the field as things are happening and looking eye to eye with the defense is completely different than game planning, calling plays in to someone else,  or making adjustments. Manning has the football IQ, but who knows how good of a coach he'd be.

Let's be honest, he's going to join Cower, Gruden, etc in the broadcast booth where he can make stupid money talking about the sport he loves and not having any of the stress.

TL;DR: Being an elite QB doesn't mean he'll be a good GM (terrible idea), OC, or QB coach.

Curious, in the history of the NFL, when has their ever been a truly great player that became a great coach.  Maybe Dick LeBeau?  Peyton is a great QB but it doesn't mean he can easily relay that same information and strategy to someone else. I have noticed a pattern that most successful coaches played football at some point in their lives.  And people they knew them said they were like a coach on the field and coaching up other players. I have never heard that of Peyton.  He is lasered in on his job, taking all the reps, and what he needs to do.  I don't know that he has the personality to be a GM or OC or coach.  I think he would be better as an administrator.

Manning (and his money) are probably looking at the bigger picture, like ownership of a team.  I can believe the Titans rumors.  He is in the mold of a Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan type of celebrity.  They want control and to make decisons....plus they have LOTS of $$$$$ and it's something he would enjoy.

not unless he's partnered with a proven GM.  Our current GM is having enough trouble with no previous GM experience let alone hiring a guy who has no front office experienance.  

Also, if Irsay hires Peyton Manning odds are he will have to fire Peyton Manning one day.  He did that once and I doubt he wants to do it again.

I never understood why people thought Manning would be a good coach and I have no reason to believe he would be a good GM.  I don't think he has the personality to coach, he'd be much better on TV but I don't really see him doing that either.  Personally I would prefer the Colts not hire him in any position because I would dread the day they had to fire him again.  

33 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Curious, in the history of the NFL, when has their ever been a truly great player that became a great coach.  Maybe Dick LeBeau?  Peyton is a great QB but it doesn't mean he can easily relay that same information and strategy to someone else. I have noticed a pattern that most successful coaches played football at some point in their lives.  And people they knew them said they were like a coach on the field and coaching up other players. I have never heard that of Peyton.  He is lasered in on his job, taking all the reps, and what he needs to do.  I don't know that he has the personality to be a GM or OC or coach.  I think he would be better as an administrator.

An argument could be made for Mike Ditka.  

No, have him be the QB coach. Under his tutelage, Andrew would learn how to dissect defenses so much better. I want to see him change his game next year and become a pocket passer that runs only when need be, throws the ball away, doesn't stare down receivers, and takes the check down receiver. We all know the sky is the limit for Luck, but his potential has barely been tapped.

Manning is already primed to be a typical celebrity turned politician once he's done with football. He's already treated like a politician anyway, and has a mini cult of personality rabid fan following that so many have in this day of age. 

There's no way he's coming back. He don't even enjoy the fact he's been replaced by a much younger, better quarterback in Denver right now.

Remember when Bart Starr came back to the Packers and made the fans happy coaching them to 8-8 seasons at best? Not every retired quarterback is going to be Jim Harbaugh at a coaching job, or at general manager. 

On 12/31/2015 at 2:38 PM, Shive said:

The thought that Manning could be a good OC or QB coach is a bit farfetched as well. Typically players that are extremely good/elite aren't good at coaching or teaching others. 

Huh.....so should he shut down that Manning QB Academy he's had for about 15 years?

On 1/1/2016 at 4:01 PM, LockeDown said:

Manning (and his money) are probably looking at the bigger picture, like ownership of a team.  I can believe the Titans rumors.  He is in the mold of a Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan type of celebrity.  They want control and to make decisons....plus they have LOTS of $$$$$ and it's something he would enjoy.

Something along those lines I could see.....Manning heading up an ownership group.

Yeah... I wouldn't be surprised if Peyton went back to the Tennessee or New Orleans area. I would guess it's more logical that he would consider those locations as more akin to home than Indiana. Whilst leaving Indy with a bad taste in the mouth, he left the other places on relatively high notes: he's practically a cult hero in Tennessee. 

I still think he will turn more towards the media route. Heck we could see him in movies possibly. He seems to have a knack for acting. But, this is of course all speculation. I don't have a two-way connection into that man's brilliant mind, nor would I want to.