Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Be careful what you wish for i.e. 2nd place sched!

JPFolks

To those suggesting we should be happy not to go to the playoffs so we get a higher draft choice, keep in mind the following: 

Our 2nd place schedule next year would include: The Jets, (Playoff team), Kansas City (Playoff team), Denver (Playoff team), Pittsburgh (best team NOT in the playoffs currently), Oakland (big up and coming team), San Diego (a team we always struggle with), Green Bay (Playoff team), Minnesota (Playoff team), and from our own division Texans (Playoff team twice), Jacksonville (an up and coming power who wasted us at home) and the weakest team we play TN who will have a quality Mariota in his second season.   That is 8 games against playoff teams and 6 games against legit playoff contenders next year.   It will be a far tougher test for us next year than this year.  No slightly higher draft picks are going to change that significantly.   On top of that, we'll likely have all new coaches, a new playbook, new schemes and perhaps a new defense as well as a solid chance of a new GM.   

In other words, even with a 100% healthy Luck next year, we'll have perhaps the toughest schedule in the league, an unknown coaching staff who could actually be worse than what we have and big question marks all over the place.  It could be a long time before we sniff the playoffs again and don't forget, Luck's injuries are serious.  Who knows what he will be long term afterwards.   The idea of EVER skipping or wishing away a shot at the playoffs is beyond inappropriate.   

It's going to be a tough, tough year next year and into the future in Indy.  

8 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Looking into next year's schedule is a waste of time

Not as much of a waste of time making snarky comments on something you think is a waste of time.  It was right in the subject, yet it was important enough for you to respond.  Also not as much of a waste of time as watching a season of football and hoping the team you root for doesn't make the playoffs nor as much of a waste of time as speculating how valuable slightly higher draft picks would be for missing the playoffs.  

But thank you for your compelling contribution to something you thought was a waste of time.  It's clear you have a lot of important things to do with your time when you can spare it to post on such things. 

18 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Houston's first place schedule will be same as ours, except take out Steelers and the Jets, and add in

Bengals and Patriots. Equally as hard.

Of course, the point was that it wasn't going to get easier to make it next year so why wish it away this year? We couldn't win in a division won by a team's 4th QB who was rejected as another non playoff team's backup it won't get any easier next year.    

57 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

To those suggesting we should be happy not to go to the playoffs so we get a higher draft choice, keep in mind the following: 

Our 2nd place schedule next year would include: The Jets, (Playoff team), Kansas City (Playoff team), Denver (Playoff team), Pittsburgh (best team NOT in the playoffs currently), Oakland (big up and coming team), San Diego (a team we always struggle with), Green Bay (Playoff team), Minnesota (Playoff team), and from our own division Texans (Playoff team twice), Jacksonville (an up and coming power who wasted us at home) and the weakest team we play TN who will have a quality Mariota in his second season.   That is 8 games against playoff teams and 6 games against legit playoff contenders next year.   It will be a far tougher test for us next year than this year.  No slightly higher draft picks are going to change that significantly.   On top of that, we'll likely have all new coaches, a new playbook, new schemes and perhaps a new defense as well as a solid chance of a new GM.   

In other words, even with a 100% healthy Luck next year, we'll have perhaps the toughest schedule in the league, an unknown coaching staff who could actually be worse than what we have and big question marks all over the place.  It could be a long time before we sniff the playoffs again and don't forget, Luck's injuries are serious.  Who knows what he will be long term afterwards.   The idea of EVER skipping or wishing away a shot at the playoffs is beyond inappropriate.   

Your comment makes too much sense. How and why anyone can argue with it is beyond me.

54 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Not as much of a waste of time making snarky comments on something you think is a waste of time.  It was right in the subject, yet it was important enough for you to respond.  Also not as much of a waste of time as watching a season of football and hoping the team you root for doesn't make the playoffs nor as much of a waste of time as speculating how valuable slightly higher draft picks would be for missing the playoffs.  

But thank you for your compelling contribution to something you thought was a waste of time.  It's clear you have a lot of important things to do with your time when you can spare it to post on such things. 

You are welcome.

2 hours ago, JPFolks said:

You do realize Andrew Lucks not playing?

10 hours ago, JPFolks said:

That's only 14 games. Do we know we are getting the NFC North next year?

Not really concerned about strength of schedule at this point. There's no real way to know how good or bad any team will be the following season. Just look at this year, we had the easiest schedule in the league and didn't even make the playoffs. For all intents and purposes, I hope our schedule is as difficult as it can possibly be next year. If it is, and we end up with a good record (11-5 or 12-4), then we'll at least have had to beat some quality competition and will be primed for a playoff run. If we're bad again (9-7 or 8-8), then we get another high draft pick. Iron sharpens iron, right?

So, in reality, the only difference is that we'll play Pittsburgh in Indy and the Jets.  All the other teams the o/p mentioned were permanent scheduling opponents.  That, over the Bengals and Patriots.  I'll take that, and the higher draft picks (in all rounds, BTW) over getting blown out in the playoffs. 

Really tough schedule though for 2016.  Still think we dominate next year, especially with a new coaching staff. 

I've been saying for weeks the "easier" schedule that would come with missing the playoffs wasn't going to be that much easier and could end up being harder.  Add in minimal movement in the draft position that would come with making the playoffs the argument that the Colts shouldn't try to make the playoffs didn't make sense.

16 hours ago, JPFolks said:

It wasn't snarky, it was accurate. Every year is different from the last. Teams rise and others fall. Way too much changes in the course of one offseason, the teams you say will be good next year may not be. That's not even accounting for things like injuries.

Sadly the OP is on target. Depending on how deep the changes go we are going to get sick of the "rebuilding process" phrase very early in to the season. It takes the best brains not only to rebuild but to keep the players selected. If the Colts refuse to once again get a competent running game then it will be the same old song. If a new GM is brought in (and that would be good) then we are looking at an "expansion" team. 

11 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Sadly the OP is on target. Depending on how deep the changes go we are going to get sick of the "rebuilding process" phrase very early in to the season. It takes the best brains not only to rebuild but to keep the players selected. If the Colts refuse to once again get a competent running game then it will be the same old song. If a new GM is brought in (and that would be good) then we are looking at an "expansion" team. 

I am waiting for the first post from you that is not Dear God worthy.  This ain't it.

Dear God...

On 12/28/2015 at 9:46 PM, coltsva said:

Houston's first place schedule will be same as ours, except take out Steelers and the Jets, and add in

Bengals and Patriots. Equally as hard.

Although not that big of a difference I'd rather play Bengals and Pats.

We've beaten the Bengals recently (not this season but recently) and we actually looked alive against the Pats for most of the game last time.  

We've looked dead each time we've played the Steelers recently and we can just never figure out the Jets defense.  

I think we match up better against Bengals then we do Jets or Steelers.  So at the very least we would likely be 1 - 1 in those games as opposed to 0 - 2

On 12/28/2015 at 10:05 PM, JPFolks said:

Of course, the point was that it wasn't going to get easier to make it next year so why wish it away this year? We couldn't win in a division won by a team's 4th QB who was rejected as another non playoff team's backup it won't get any easier next year.    

Yes, get into the playoffs and play more stinky football.
 We need better players PERIOD! And Draft position can/should matter.

Where you finish in the division really doesn't have that big of an impact on the schedule.  Only two of the sixteen games are determined by division ranking.  The other fourteen games are the same no matter what place you finish in the division.  In the case of the Colts, by not winning the division they will get the Jets and the Steelers instead of the Patriots and the Bengals.  The only significant advantage there is not having to play NE during the regular season.  It is not as big of a factor as people want to make it out to be.

On 12/28/2015 at 11:41 AM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Not really concerned about strength of schedule at this point. There's no real way to know how good or bad any team will be the following season. Just look at this year, we had the easiest schedule in the league and didn't even make the playoffs. For all intents and purposes, I hope our schedule is as difficult as it can possibly be next year. If it is, and we end up with a good record (11-5 or 12-4), then we'll at least have had to beat some quality competition and will be primed for a playoff run. If we're bad again (9-7 or 8-8), then we get another high draft pick. Iron sharpens iron, right?

I agree many said we had the easiest schedule based on winning %, but I also remember when we were posting predictions saying that we'll lose to 3 of 4 AFC East teams (we did) and that Atlanta, New Orleans would likely beat us and Carolina at their place would be no slouch.  I also said that the Texans would challenge us for our division and predicted a record of 9-7 IF (and only IF) we beat the Texans twice, which I also said we wouldn't do.  

The only game we lost that I didn't predict was against Jax. Looking at what the teams are bringing back that we must play next year, in my opinion, the schedule and our division will be even tougher than last year. Minnesota and Green Bay at their places are going to be tough outs. I would expect to be competitive with the Bears and Detroit, though I wouldn't be shocked if they hire the right new coach that Detroit could win their division next year.  I predict right now (based only on our current roster and knowing Pagano is gone) that we'll do well to finish 2-2 against that division.  

The AFC West is, in my opinion, going to be much like the AFC East was this year, a nightmare.  KC has 3 legit star quality RB's and didn't miss a beat when they lost what most thought was by far their best player in Charles.  West and Ware filled in like they were the starters all along.  Oakland is on a trajectory to be a perennial playoff team in that division.  Denver at Denver is likely a loss this time around without Manning there to emotionally fall short time again against us, San Diego/Los Angeles is only as good as Philip Rivers is and he always seems to best us head to head historically, but I would call that the most winnable game of that division.  

Pittsburgh, if they have most of their offense playing will smoke us again and may go into next season as the NFL favorites.  They just need to fix their defensive backfield.  The Jets will be a bit older and I think we may have a good shot at them.  Our own division is no longer easy street.  If Houston gets a QB, we'll likely split with them.  Jax as well.  I expect we'll sweep TN.  All in all, we could finish 12-4 to 8-8 depending on our new coach and a healthy luck.  10-6 is likely the best we can do but 9-7 or 8-8 wouldn't shock me if Grigson is still our GM and our new coach isn't a rock star in performance rather than just name.  

I think Houston's (the U) coach did an amazing job, he was behind Ohio States championship run and turned around Houston in one year and got the very most our of his roster you could hope for.  Some similar younger hot upstart might be a great option.  I'd even consider giving NE's OC a shot, though his Denver stint was pretty lousy but if you can take the shambles of their offensive personnel ravaged by injuries and get the top seed anyway, we'd be lucky to have him.  

But my fear is we'll go for some "name" regardless of how they might be suited for this team and often "Big Name Hunting" just for the sake of a big name is a losing proposition.  Since all reports are that Irsay and Grigson are best buddy's, we may have to simply expect more of the same.  I hope the reports are wrong and he gets canned though. I have no interest in Saban (too old and too spoiled), 

And for those who think talking about next year's schedule is pointless, if that's true, every single conversation we have on anything here is equally so.  None of us are in charge, none of us have all the facts. The point of a message board is to post "what ifs" and OPINIONS.  So stick and and stop reading if you're going to whine about it.  

On 12/29/2015 at 10:15 PM, grmasterb said:

Finishing second in the division only impacts the selection of two opponents next season. All other opponents are based on formula.

The point isn't comparing our schedule to our division, it is pointing how how brutal our schedule is and the fact that although we're not going to make the playoffs, some people for weeks have been hoping we'd miss it so we could draft a little higher. My point is making the playoffs next year is far from assured as it was in past years and so many teams would do anything to get a home playoff game once a decade.  The only point to a season is to make the playoffs..  nothing else matters.  You get there and you take your chances.  Who knows, the teams we would have faced could easily lose their QB's as well and then anything could happen.  Most have had backups play already this year.  

On December 28, 2015 at 9:48 PM, BOTT said:

Looking into next year's schedule is a waste of time

Agree!!!  The teams we play next year are going to look completely different next season.  Look at us, everyone thought that we were going to be one of the top 3 teams in the league coming in to the season.  I never take much stock in looking at next years schedule.  I mean look at the Panthers, last year I thing they were 8-8, now look at them.