Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck abdominal tear out 2 to 6 weeks (Merge)

TKnight24

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are grades to kidney injuries. However, I am not aware of any recovery period that is two weeks optimistic. My experience says minimum of 3-4, and go from there.

I wish I could share in that with you. Really, I do. Luck has two injuries, both which typicall take longer than two weeks to recover from (especially a professional sports athlete). One is a danger issue, the other a functionality issue. No details were given on parenchyma or renal pole damage. Lacerated kidney mean there's uncontrolled bleeding. Luck's was assessed as not needing surgery. Hid grade of injury has not been report yet, that I am aware of. Thus he needs enough time to not only stop bleeding, and then heal, but also be resistant to further injury on the next hit he takes. Think about this if you his primary caretaker. Are you going to sign off on him being full ready to take another hit on that kidney in two weeks? Would you want your Doc to sign you off as being ready to be pounded on that kidney in two weeks? Internal organ bleeding is serious folks, Chris Simms almost died when he ruptured his spleen in a game, and kept playing. Unfortunately, my somewhat educated guess (even not knowing the grade yet) is we're looking closer to the 3-4 week window minimum than the two. Considering the nature of the injury and natural healing path chosen, Kind of even hoping for it.

Next, the oblique muscle partial tear. That is a core muscle, and Luck is a QB. While early return is not as dangerous a proposition as sending luck to an early from kidney laceration, it has mechanical problems of it's own. That muscle will impair his mechanics until it heals and pain subsides. Things people have trouble with, include- rolling out of bed, getting into a car, and sneezing, which is the worst. When it heals and pain subsides that part should be a go. The problem with obliques, they are slow to heal and nagging type of injury.

The kidney is another issue. They will shut down his activity and in a couple weeks he will feel pretty darn good in that area. But as mentioned before, that does not mean he is ready to return to games. And maybe the oblique won't let him back in anyway.

I just hope we don't screw him up trying to rush him back. Matt H. is a starting QB, that happens to be at the twilight of his career, like Peyton Manning. Chud will design plans that MH can use to manage the game well, and keep himself somewhat protected. He needs to, up to 5 games services may be needed. Still, I am convinced MH has enough gas in the tank to go 3-2, if everyone does their jobs. D without Anderson will have to become stout and provide good gap control.

In otherwords....IR him would be best

Man at this point I just want to get this season over, I have not thought that since 2011 (and this season for me is not close to the torture of that year) but this season has been brutal with injuries. Supposed behind the scenes drama. A offensive coordinator who didn't know how to design plays or call plays

Stay GHF. We will still win the Division. Hass can hold the fort down for a few a games and the rest is good for Andrew. I wouldn't be GHF if we weren't in the Division we are in but if we are healthy going into the Playoffs, that is all that matters. 7-9 will get us in.

Wow very informative thank you kind person. I'm just trying to keep spirits up, mainly my own. You said personal experience. Are you in the medical industry or have you undergone what Luck is going through

Both (oblique, not renal trauma), but i am not going to elaborate further on either; except I am not an MD.

For everyone acting like the season is over a couple of things.

1.  Not even a week ago people were begging the Colts to bench Luck and go to Hasselbeck because he gave us a better chance to win.  Careful what you wish for I guess but more importantly nothing changed in a week for Hasselbeck.  He's still a very high quietly backup who has already come in and won two games this season on a short week and with the flu.  He's capable of winning games.  Outside of the Steelers there isn't a game on the Colts schedule they can't win even if Hasselbeck is starting at QB.  This isn't Curtis Painter backing up the starter this is maybe the best backup in the league filling in. 

2.  The injury is 2 to 6 weeks.  I don't think he will be but if he's better in two weeks that could mean he misses the Falcons game and that's it.  Point be wait and see rather than just assume the worst and that he's out for six weeks.  He could be or he could be back sooner.  The Colts have a 1.5 lead in the AFC South right now that will probably be extended to two games by the next time the Colts play a game.  So they have a little wiggle room to work with.  Also add to that that the Texans still have to play pretty much the same gauntlet of teams the Colts had to play at the start of the year including the Jets, Bills, Saints, and Pats.  They also have the Bengals this weekend.  While the Colts schedule starts to lighten up theirs gets way more difficult.   I don't think the Titans or Jags have it in them to make run although you can't rule it out but even with the injury the Colts are still in the driver's seat to win the division. 

As for those who want to blame Grigson for this.  I think just about everyone can see where the injury happened.  This is one of those football things that happens.  For weeks people have been saying Luck needs to run more well this is the risk that comes from him running more.  I will also say the Colts don't win the Broncos game without Luck running so it's hard to fault the team for having him take off.  The one thing I think can be brought up is that Luck still doesn't slide.  This has been an issue since he got here.  It exposes him to more hits like we saw on Sunday.  If I were the Colts I would get someone from the Indians to work with Luck on sliding while he heals up. 

Man at this point I just want to get this season over, I have not thought that since 2011 (and this season for me is not close to the torture of that year) but this season has been brutal with injuries. Supposed behind the scenes drama. A offensive coordinator who didn't know how to design plays or call plays

SeAsons like this can gel a team and create leaders.

Its interesting sometimes who steps up and who doesn't.

Its a major bummer, yea. But its also exciting to see just what these guys can do.

I'll still get excited every Sunday. But with the knowledge that we have some HUGE hurdles to jump. But i just have that feeling, as i did in Manning days, that the Colts are capable of anything at any time. Exciting.

Some of you guys are beginning to sound like Pats fans, crying for late hits here and head hunting calls there... jeesh, Luck is a qb who likes to live dangerously. Thats how it is

Lol. It was a game the colts had to win and they were deep in the opponents territory with the score tied. It's not like he took that hit playing the Lions with a 4 game division lead. Sure, In hindsight I wish he had gotten down, but I understand why he was playing that way.

https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/status/664249868488167424

Loca trauma chief tells me Andrew Luck's injury is one usually associated with... car wrecks. Wow https://t.co/jVwAB9jM6n

This is amazing but not surprising. Henrik Lundqvist freakishly accidentally had his mask lifted last year and took a puck slap shot to the throat and missed almost 8 weeks. Had he played he was at risk of a stroke bc he had a bruised blood vessel in his neck. Common injury in car accidents, not hockey. Crazy things like this happen every year it seems.

Tony Romo

Enough Said

This ^^^^^ bc Romo played behind the supposed best NFL line. I agree that Grigson has to get better protection, and he has failed at that...that said, this was a football injury. Luck elected to run and he got hit. I hate it and it sucks, but Luck's play is at LEAST a part of this. I love him for extending plays with his legs, or staying in the pocket a bit too long.....but PLEASE stop blaming his line.

Broken ribs, separated shoulder, lacerated kidney, abdominal tear, and Grigson chose not to draft any O-line, Grigson MUST GO!!!!

One can assume we will see the OL as the #1 priority in the offseason this year... Plus this latest injury probably will cost Grigson his job, as well as it should.  4 years and still not protecting the best (/future) QB in the game, is definitely grounds for termination.  Heck he should feel bad enough to resign himself at the end of the season.  Even though it is very unlikely.

SeAsons like this can gel a team and create leaders.

Its interesting sometimes who steps up and who doesn't.

Its a major bummer, yea. But its also exciting to see just what these guys can do.

I'll still get excited every Sunday. But with the knowledge that we have some HUGE hurdles to jump. But i just have that feeling, as i did in Manning days, that the Colts are capable of anything at any time. Exciting.

I looked forward to every game in 2011. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

This team has come together out of order, in many ways. Not just with player acquisitions, but also with the stages of development and growth. It caught everyone by surprise when we were 7-1 in one score games in 2012, because teams with rookie QBs and rookie/interim head coaches don't win close games, especially coming from behind, on the road, etc.. It's supposed to take you a year or two to figure that stuff out. And then in 2013, we beat all the heavyweights on the schedule, but lost to bad teams like the Rams and Dolphins.

And because we shot up to 11-5 so quickly and started winning playoff games, we got pushed down the draft order. Take the good with the bad, of course, but this is a team that was 2-14 not so long ago, that had to turn over almost the entire roster, and that really needed some young, foundational talent. We tried to supplement with free agency, but that didn't turn out so well.

And now, we're going through growing pains that you'd expect of a team and staff that just came together, not one in it's third/fourth year of building. Even Luck has played at less than optimal levels this season, like he's hit a rookie wall, just three years later. The 4th year slump for QBs isn't new, but no one really expected it from 'the best QB prospect since John Elway.' We've lost close games due to silly mistakes -- turnovers, penalties, questionable coaching decisions, etc. This is what 2012 and 2013 were supposed to look like.

I'm not complaining about the early successes and the accelerated advancement. But it's begun to look like the team was a house of cards, and now it's falling over.