Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: LT Joe Thomas and C Alex Mack on trade block. (Mega-Merge)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The #Browns have engaged in discussions about potentially trading two of their best players: LT Joe Thomas and C Alex Mack, sources say.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)

November 1, 2015

WOW. Two absolute studs. Asking price would be pretty high but either of these players would drastically change our line.

Definitely would. I don't think the price would be too high for Mack as he would be a FA soon if I remember right. Thomas would be expensive. If we could trade either a 2nd or 3rd for Mack, I would probably do it.

I'm on mobile so I can't provide a direct link, but NFL.com and PFT are both running the story.

I'm not sure how it would affect our long term cap situation, but would it be worth trading our 2016 1st round pick for both players? This would give us a top notch OL if we moved Costanzo to RT and Reitz to RG, and we would have the rest of the draft/FA period in the off-season to focus exclusively on the defense.

What do you think?

We are not going to move Castonzo to RT, because we just paid him LT money, and more important, he is a LT.

I hope we look into Mack though.

His 8 million dollar cap hit a year will lower the Browns realistic asking price. Might get him for a mid-late round pick.

If anyone is curious, Thomas sports a 10-11 million dollar cap hit.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000569518/article/browns-looking-to-trade-alex-mack-and-joe-thomas

Looks like the Browns may want to trade Mack...do we do it?! I would in a heartbeat

depends on the asking price. Also, Mack can void the rest of his contract after this season before trading for him I think you need to know if he will do that or not.

I don't think so.  Prior to this year I might agree but not anymore.  As we have seen most FA's just don't work out the way you expect.  I would rather save it for the draft.  If the Colts do this they will have learned nothing.

you can't swear off trades and free agency forever though. Yes they have had busts but they have also had hits like Hasselbeck, AV (yes I know not Grigson's guy but still a signing that worked out well and is still here), Davis, Walden, and Adams. I also think if they would commit to running the ball we would love the Gore pick up. I have no problem making a move if it makes sense. If the Borwns go we want another first rounder and you think he's going to void his deal after this season then no don't make the trade. If they want like fifth rounder and you think he won't void the rest of his deal then I would do it if you feel like he fits your system. It all depends circumstances.

i would not mind adding Kruger to go along with Mathis, Cole, Walden, Moore to aid in the pass rush maybe. He hasn't done a whole lot in 2015 but he had 11 sacks last year on a team that had a terrible run defense and not much reason for teams to pass a whole lot against them.  Can't see us picking up Joe Thomas due to price concerns.   Be okay with Mack if the deal made sense.

He will be a free agent at the end of the season. Why trade anything for him when we don't need his position?

We don't? Khaled Holmes is hurt...again, and Jon Harrison is not the answer. Mack has a no-trade clause which means he has to okay the trade before it's official. If he gets traded, he's not going to void his contract next year, he could just void the trade to begin with.

As far as Thomas, we could move him to RT or move AC there. Either way, it would be better than Reitz or any of the other guys we put in there. So if we can clear the cap space, I'd love to add both of these guys. Now, not later.

RED FLAG! RED FLAG!

If Cleveland is trading them, its because there is something wrong. We learned our lesson with Trent Richardson, lets not do it again. Remember that Grigson's signings have a 50/50 chance of working out with the team.

Mack is a great player, but has been disappointing so far this season, 3 sacks, 3 hits, 5 hurries allowed from under center. I wouldn't offer much more than a 4th with some incentives where it could possibly be a 3rd or 2nd if he's a pro bowler. 

Thomas on the other hand is just insane. Top rated OT by PFF, allowed only 2 sacks and 0 (!!!) hits. He's make a world of a difference to our OL both in the run game and pass protection. Also we could slide the struggling AC to the right side where many people thought he'd play better. Thomas - Mewhort - Holmes/FA - Draft Pick - Costonzo would be a top tier OL in this league. I don't care how old Thomas is, there are no signs to say he'll slow down any time too soon and he's under contract for much longer than Mack. I'd offer atleast a 1st and some extras for him.

RED FLAG! RED FLAG!

If Cleveland is trading them, its because there is something wrong. We learned our lesson with Trent Richardson, lets not do it again. Remember that Grigson's signings have a 50/50 chance of working out with the team.

Orr... they understand they suck and arent going to contend any time soon so they want to get more young draft picks. Also, they already have Cam Erving who needs a spot on the OL. 

We don't? Khaled Holmes is hurt...again, and Jon Harrison is not the answer. Mack has a no-trade clause which means he has to okay the trade before it's official. If he gets traded, he's not going to void his contract next year, he could just void the trade to begin with.

As far as Thomas, we could move him to RT or move AC there. Either way, it would be better than Reitz or any of the other guys we put in there. So if we can clear the cap space, I'd love to add both of these guys. Now, not later.

IMO the Colts do not need to be trading any picks away. It is apparent that the free agents are few and far between that are worth the effort. The fans want a winner and the only way to make that happen is by drafting smart. Picks are needed to make that happen.

How about Alex Mack, Gibson, and Mingo for Werner, and our 2nd and 3rd rounders next year? LOL. Ok but seriously. What would it take to get Mack. We need to just go all in for him IMO. No 1st rounder though. We should be able to get him without giving up a 1st.

I don't think so. Prior to this year I might agree but not anymore. As we have seen most FA's just don't work out the way you expect. I would rather save it for the draft. If the Colts do this they will have learned nothing.

That's kinda silly. If the colts whiff on another 1st rounder should they stop drafting in the first round? Plus, these guys are in a totally different class than the marginal players Grigson has signed.