Wll Luck still be the top paid QB with his next contract? [Merge]

Old Colt

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a good one...

basically itll boil down to:

a) can he regain his prior form and status as an elite QB (with the stats and wins to show)

b) if NO.... does the current coaching staff still see the same value and potential in Luck as an Elite QB moving forward and are will to place the money behind the belief...

c) if NO (to "a")....does the current coaching staff become expendable and replaced?

d) if YES (to "c")....would the new coaching staff still see the elite value and potential in retaining Luck as the franchise QB...

My belief is that he will still be paid as a top 5 QB in the NFL (if not the highest paid player, period)...however, I do think those conversations take a little longer than normally would.

I really have no idea...but i def like this thread...fun debate...cheers OP!

Nah, his stock is definitely dropping. The way things are looking right now, it's kind of hard to imagine more than 5yr/$85mil.

It'll be at least 20 million a year with at least 65% of that guaranteed, but I do think incentives and other lines will be added into his contract.  Say an TD/INT ratio bonus or something along those lines

Nah, his stock is definitely dropping. The way things are looking right now, it's kind of hard to imagine more than 5yr/$85mil.

I want whatever he's on. If his contract is less than 5 years, $100 million I'll eat my shoe*

* assuming his shoulder injury isn't worse than being reported.

All of this talk about Luck being the highest paid player in the league started right here in this forum. I have never heard Luck, Irsay or anyone else make any comments on the subject. He will be paid very well because Irsay knows his value to the team. There is one area where Grigson has done a good job and that is with the cap. The money will be there to pay him and IMO it will be a pretty high dollar contract just because of what Luck has already brought to this team. Who really cares if it's the largest? If Irsay makes Luck that type of offer it is what it is. Really not something to make an issue over.

All of this talk about Luck being the highest paid player in the league started right here in this forum. I have never heard Luck, Irsay or anyone else make any comments on the subject. He will be paid very well because Irsay knows his value to the team. There is one area where Grigson has done a good job and that is with the cap. The money will be there to pay him and IMO it will be a pretty high dollar contract just because of what Luck has already brought to this team. Who really cares if it's the largest? If Irsay makes Luck that type of offer it is what it is. Really not something to make an issue over.

I don't care either if it's the Highest or Not. It will still definitely be huge but no way should it be as high Rogers contract( whatever he's making).

I want whatever he's on. If his contract is less than 5 years, $100 million I'll eat my shoe*

* assuming his shoulder injury isn't worse than being reported.

Here are the cold hard facts: He's never won, or been to a Super Bowl (HUGE negotiating chip), and the one time he got close, New England (he's 0-5 vs NE now BTW) smashed him 45-7. At the almost-halfway-point of the season, he only has 1 win under his belt, bringing his "Surefire MVP Season" record to 1-4. This year, he's getting severely outplayed by the likes of Andy Dalton, Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, and Cam Newton. He struggles reading defenses, he struggles throwing it deep, he struggles throwing it short.

His best bet is to stay on for one more year under the franchise tag, then negotiate his second contract. If he does that and shows this regression is just a bump in the road, then sure, pay the man.

Having said that, I like Luck as much as anyone, but he's losing leverage with every stupid pick that he throws. Not real sure how anyone could think otherwise at this point.

I still think Irsay makes him the highest paid player. What ever it takes to keep him. I don't want to see another LeBron situation.

basketball free agency is very different from the nfl.  the nba has nothing to stop the best free agents from going to the same team to make a title run cough miami

the nfl has the franchise tag to stop that, and a hard salary cap that means only a few teams will be able to offer 20 mil plus without gutting their current roster

Here are the cold hard facts: He's never won, or been to a Super Bowl (HUGE negotiating chip), and the one time he got close, New England (he's 0-5 vs NE now BTW) smashed him 45-7. At the almost-halfway-point of the season, he only has 1 win under his belt, bringing his "Surefire MVP Season" record to 1-4. This year, he's getting severely outplayed by the likes of Andy Dalton, Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, and Cam Newton. He struggles reading defenses, he struggles throwing it deep, he struggles throwing it short.

His best bet is to stay on for one more year under the franchise tag, then negotiate his second contract. If he does that and shows this regression is just a bump in the road, then sure, pay the man.

Having said that, I like Luck as much as anyone, but he's losing leverage with every stupid pick that he throws. Not real sure how anyone could think otherwise at this point.

I think otherwise but I cant debate your points. I will say this he proved what he can do in his first 3 seasons. He is just in a mini slump. This is a fluke what he is going through. At least nobody can say he is playing great for a contract haha, that's what most players do. They play great in their contract years - see TY

basketball free agency is very different from the nfl.  the nba has nothing to stop the best free agents from going to the same team to make a title run cough miami

the nfl has the franchise tag to stop that, and a hard salary cap that means only a few teams will be able to offer 20 mil plus without gutting their current roster

I know we can franchise him but I just don't want this to get to a point like that. I was being sarcastic about the LeBron point I just didn't put sarcasm after words in my post.

I know we can franchise him but I just don't want this to get to a point like that. I was being sarcastic about the LeBron point I just didn't put sarcasm after words in my post.

well if not for the tag, it wouldnt shock me to see a franchise QB leave.

it just doesnt happen much in the nfl though because they know they will get tagged

i dont see luck being eager to leave either.  its somewhat of a grass isnt greener situation too

"Jay Cutler", look him up on Wikipedia and you will see "The Joker" and the joke is on the Bears and their fans. Irsay, please read.

So you think Luck is a joke and is another Cutler? So Luck is in a slump and you can overlook every record he broke his first three years? Is it just me or does your football knowledge need to be questioned?

well if not for the tag, it wouldnt shock me to see a franchise QB leave.

it just doesnt happen much in the nfl though because they know they will get tagged

i dont see luck being eager to leave either.  its somewhat of a grass isnt greener situation too

I don't see him leaving either. He seems like the type of a guy that wants to stay in one place and be great.

Won't need to tag him next year. You guys exercised the 5th year option back in May. We did the same with Luke Kuechly and Cam. All 1st rounders since 2011 have 4 year rookie contracts with a team option for a 5th year. Option has to be exercised by May of the fourth year.

Are you serious? He is in a slump and you want to dis him that way? He broke just about every third year QB record that could be broke. Your memory is either short or missing some facts.

Are you serious? He is in a slump and you want to dis him that way? He broke just about every third year QB record that could be broke. Your memory is either short or missing some facts.

Don't let it bother you. The idiocy of some of the Luck haters is comical. The guy has 3 questionable games and you have some people thinking he is Mike Pagel haha. I could only imagine what these guys would've posted in Peyton's 4th season.

I think he is going nowhere and Irsay will try to do what he can to keep Andrew. 

Contrary to public opinion at times here.....I don't put a lot of blame on Luck. I have seen Luck be absolutely terrific. The coaching and management is coming unglued. Andrew is just a QB, he is not a magician, he cannot overcome what is falling apart all around him 24/7.

Get him some good quality smart coaches that can help him and the team and take advantage of our strengths and I promise things would all be better.

I am not going to bash Andrew much at all if any. He has made some stupid mistakes this year but he is also a reason we have won so many games since 2012.  I wasn't going to overly bash the coaches either but after the last week or so thinking it over....it's probably time to change unless this ship gets dramatically turned around by years end.