Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wll Luck still be the top paid QB with his next contract? [Merge]

Old Colt

You'll sign him to an extension this off-season. What's the alternative? Franchise tag in 2017? Then again in 2018? Cheaper to extend him for those years and use the cap space for other positions.

Let him walk? Starting caliber NFL QBs are rarer than unicorns. League's full of past their primes, never developeds, merely adequates, and often injureds. College FB isn't training the kids in the NFL game. NFL defenses would laugh at seeing a spread offense on Sunday.

There will be a line 15 GMs deep to sign Luck to $25 million/year, and about 5-6 who'll offer $30 million+/year if/when he hits free agency. The Peyton Manning free agency tour will be a shadow compared to Luck's since Luck's younger and healthier.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, his stock is definitely dropping. The way things are looking right now, it's kind of hard to imagine more than 5yr/$85mil.

There's no way he gets less than 5/100.

And if he does that,  the NFLPA will scream bloody murder.

You don't fall from 25 mill per to 17 mill per because he's in a terrible slump,  some of which is NOT of his own making.

You want to keep Luck as the QB? Versus losing him to another team? You pay the man, and then build a better team and coaching staff around him. His timeline for winning a Super Bowl is now longer, because this team is not ready for prime time. But they do have some very good pieces, and with a change in coaches, another good draft or two, and if they can find a pass rush, they can compete. You sign Luck and hope that he gives you a little discount for a tough year.

We are lucky to have picked up his 5th year option at 16.155 million dollars.  Unless / Until restructuring occurs, it might cost a team 26.09 million dollars to put the exclusive franchise tag on a QB in 2016. This is the top 5 salaries at QB next year averaged-

QB%20cap%20hits%202016_zps6tt21uqs.jpg

Things improve only slightly for 2017 at this point.  Bottom line, it will cost us... whether a deal is struck or Irsay has to pull out the franchise tag.  And will have to be the exclusive tag, for I truly believe some team will spend two first round picks on Luck to steal him away from us.

It'll be at least 20 million a year with at least 65% of that guaranteed, but I do think incentives and other lines will be added into his contract.  Say an TD/INT ratio bonus or something along those lines

That's what I think will happen, too. He will get paid a decent contract, with heavy incentives. If these incentives are met, he will be the highest paid QB in the league.

So you think Luck is a joke and is another Cutler? So Luck is in a slump and you can overlook every record he broke his first three years? Is it just me or does your football knowledge need to be questioned?

Yeah people are derps, Manning sucked in his 1st, 4th, and 5th seasons and also the last two years.  Not everyone can be Aaron Rodgers who in my book will eventually be the greatest of all time.  Case and point good QBs can have rough years.  To actually hear people want to trade away Luck are amongst the more embarrassing comments in the existence of this Colts forum.  He needs work but to discredit what he's done in his first three  years is asinine.  I think the forum has been flooded with you childish youth since acquiring Andrew Luck than ever before.  It's like playing an online game and hearing some 12 year olds voice talking smack and you can't even distinguish if it's a boy or girl.  haha

:Nuke:

With regards to the thread, all I know is the man is going to get paid and he deserves it. 

You'll sign him to an extension this off-season. What's the alternative? Franchise tag in 2017? Then again in 2018? Cheaper to extend him for those years and use the cap space for other positions.

Let him walk? Starting caliber NFL QBs are rarer than unicorns. League's full of past their primes, never developeds, merely adequates, and often injureds. College FB isn't training the kids in the NFL game. NFL defenses would laugh at seeing a spread offense on Sunday.

There will be a line 15 GMs deep to sign Luck to $25 million/year, and about 5-6 who'll offer $30 million+/year if/when he hits free agency. The Peyton Manning free agency tour will be a shadow compared to Luck's since Luck's younger and healthier.

and Denver will be the highest bidder

He shouldn't be. He has been pretty mediocre thus far during his contract season.

He doesn't have to agree to a contract this year.  He's due just over 16 million next year regardless.  Then he becomes an unrestricted free agent, and Exclusive Franchise tag material for 2017; which will likely be $22-23 million all by itself.

The person talking the most sense on this thread is a panthers fan...............go figure  :applause:  :applause:  :applause:

The person talking the most sense on this thread is a panthers fan...............go figure  :applause:  :applause:  :applause:

If you want an honest, no b.s. assessment, you don't ask your family or friends, You ask a stranger. It helps that we just went thru that crazy train back in May when discussing Cam's extension. Exact same arguments. "Is it the talent around him or him?"  "What are the alternatives if we let him walk?"   "How much is too much?"

Happy to say he only got $1 more than Matt Ryan did. Seemed fair since they both have 1 playoff win.

He doesn't have to agree to a contract this year.  He's due just over 16 million next year regardless.  Then he becomes an unrestricted free agent, and Exclusive Franchise tag material for 2017; which will likely be $22-23 million all by itself.

Agree he doesn't have to. He could simply refuse to re-sign, force the Colts to tag him twice, and hit the market in 2019, especially if he doesn't like the direction the GM takes. Then the best play would be to trade him out of town, but the Fujita scale couldn't measure a sh!tstorm that big.

The benefits of signing an extension vs. tagging him are 1) he feels in control of his destiny, not like a slave to the team, and won't resent being a Colt

2) an extension can make the first couple years be less than the $22-23 million a tag would cost, giving the Colts more cap space than the tag would

3) doing the deal next year effectively adds another year that the signing bonus can be spread out. Use $30 million as an example. Spreading that $30 million over 6 years instead of 5 years reduces the cap charge per year of his contract

So you think Luck is a joke and is another Cutler? So Luck is in a slump and you can overlook every record he broke his first three years? Is it just me or does your football knowledge need to be questioned?

My football knowledge? Who is qualified to question it, you? When a baseball player goes from three years of hitting 310 to 193 in his fourth season he is said to be in a "slump". How many players remain in baseball when the slump become their batting average? 100% of the media state clearly Luck is slumping and the reasons vary. One reason that seems to be universal is his looking directly at his receivers telling the defenders where he intends to throw the ball. Luck has not adapted to the idea of taking the sack, instead he has fumbled while in the grasp  on many occasions. Luck also has since he arrived  in the NFL thrown the balls high. I know all the other ideas reporters have for his decline and agree with most even though my "football knowledge" is not up to your standards. Luck does not deserve the huge pay raise expected and until he improves he should not receive it, plain and simple. Manning took a pay cut to assure Harrison staying put, Luck should dot he same as the Colts are going to need money to get out of this hole. "They-play-to-win-the-game". 

With this season fading into the black hole that is the Indianapolis Colts; and no relief in site..... will Luck still get the biggest contract ever seen in the NFL?

:Mope:

His shoulder injury is no joke. If that does not heal or becomes a persistent issue due to over playing this season than he will be trouble with his contract. I don't see his poor play this season effecting anything but the injury most definitely would.

My football knowledge? Who is qualified to question it, you? When a baseball player goes from three years of hitting 310 to 193 in his fourth season he is said to be in a "slump". How many players remain in baseball when the slump become their batting average? 100% of the media state clearly Luck is slumping and the reasons vary. One reason that seems to be universal is his looking directly at his receivers telling the defenders where he intends to throw the ball. Luck has not adapted to the idea of taking the sack, instead he has fumbled while in the grasp  on many occasions. Luck also has since he arrived  in the NFL thrown the balls high. I know all the other ideas reporters have for his decline and agree with most even though my "football knowledge" is not up to your standards. Luck does not deserve the huge pay raise expected and until he improves he should not receive it, plain and simple. Manning took a pay cut to assure Harrison staying put, Luck should dot he same as the Colts are going to need money to get out of this hole. "They-play-to-win-the-game". 

There are 32 starting QBs in the NFL and you are comparing them to a baseball player? A baseball player is not even in the same category physically or mentally as a starting QB in the NFL. Only a hand full of those starting QBs are considered in the top tier. Lucks falls into that category no matter what you think. He will be paid accordingly regardless of you thoughts on the matter. That is the way the NFL is done. I am sorry things like this need explaining to you because of your lack of knowledge in football and how things work.

There are 32 starting QBs in the NFL and you are comparing them to a baseball player? A baseball player is not even in the same category physically or mentally as a starting QB in the NFL. Only a hand full of those starting QBs are considered in the top tier. Lucks falls into that category no matter what you think. He will be paid accordingly regardless of you thoughts on the matter. That is the way the NFL is done. I am sorry things like this need explaining to you because of your lack of knowledge in football and how things work.

Oh, I forgot you are "Crazy" Colt for a reason. You say "he will be paid accordingly" so looking at 2015 I'll guess 2.5 mil/yr?

Thank you for pointing out baseball and football are different sports, I simply did not know that even after watch 14 inning last night of the WS.

Oh, I forgot you are "Crazy" Colt for a reason. You say "he will be paid accordingly" so looking at 2015 I'll guess 2.5 mil/yr?

Thank you for pointing out baseball and football are different sports, I simply did not know that even after watch 14 inning last night of the WS.

I thought I made it pretty clear as to the difference but you don't seem to be able to comprehend.

He better not be...he has a long way to go to become good at all aspects of QB play.

So far, he plays the game like young BIG Ben extending the plays and throwing deep.

He has a long way to go to play the game like Aaron Rogers with his quick reads and fast release, and exploiting what the D leaves open to him.

Andrew has a lot of natural talent but he has quite a lot to learn.

He will get the largest contract in NFL history...if not his agent is not doing his job. If the Colts don't agree he will get franchised when the time comes.  He has the highest upside of any player in the league...and his value even after a down year would still be crazy on the open market. Doesn't matter what we think...the market will decide his next contract and the market says it will be bigger than any other qb unless perhaps Rodgers renegotiates.  Contracts are only going up....the cap is going up so his contract will follow suit...simply the economics of the situation means his contract will be bigger than those before him.

Do some folks realize Jay Cutler and Andy Dalton have gotten 100+ Million dollar contracts recently right? Luck will get 100+ based off the fact he's young, has been very good in past seasons and has the physical tools. Whether you agree or not someone will pay him that garaunteed. Eli Manning has had seasons leading the NFL with nearly 30 INTs and got paid essentially 100 million recently despite not having been to the playoffs in 2 seasons in a row. Teams will break the bank to retain an even remotely competent QB these days and people think we will get Luck for 85 over 5 years? Ha.

part of me kind of does wants Luck to leave only to see the Luck denouncers reaction to the realization of what life is like for most NFL fans having to deal with a team constantly struggling to find a serviceable QB. He is far from amazing right now but he's not a true bottom of the barrel QB and teams know thought despite his recent struggles. He will get paid whether it's Indy or not.

Yeah people are derps, Manning sucked in his 1st, 4th, and 5th seasons and also the last two years.  Not everyone can be Aaron Rodgers who in my book will eventually be the greatest of all time.  Case and point good QBs can have rough years.  To actually hear people want to trade away Luck are amongst the more embarrassing comments in the existence of this Colts forum.  He needs work but to discredit what he's done in his first three  years is asinine.  I think the forum has been flooded with you childish youth since acquiring Andrew Luck than ever before.  It's like playing an online game and hearing some 12 year olds voice talking smack and you can't even distinguish if it's a boy or girl.  haha

:Nuke:

With regards to the thread, all I know is the man is going to get paid and he deserves it. 

Speak it Michael Myers, great Post. I agree. I am sick of the Luck haters. The guy has won 11 games 3 years in a row and got us 1 game from the SB and some actually want to trade him??

Very insightful little guy. Your intellect as you say far exceeds that of a person of my limited exposure to sports, both playing and studying.

Your sarcasm only exceeds you inability to admit you might have made a mistake in your assessment of Luck and what he will be paid.

Your sarcasm only exceeds you inability to admit you might have made a mistake in your assessment of Luck and what he will be paid.

"Crazy" your inability to discern the difference between sarcasm and dialog exemplifies your inability to function on this site. Your attack on one's knowledge and understanding of the game only illustrates your shortcoming on the same. You offer nothing in terms of readable input. By the way, what Luck will be paid is none of anyone's business except Irsay's. You like everyone else here are void of impact on what the Colts do and that is why you earn your living in the manner you do and are nothing more than a mouthpiece waving a little Colts flag in front of your television during game time.

"Crazy" your inability to discern the difference between sarcasm and dialog exemplifies your inability to function on this site. Your attack on one's knowledge and understanding of the game only illustrates your shortcoming on the same. You offer nothing in terms of readable input. By the way, what Luck will be paid is none of anyone's business except Irsay's. You like everyone else here are void of impact on what the Colts do and that is why you earn your living in the manner you do and are nothing more than a mouthpiece waving a little Colts flag in front of your television during game time.

Your feeble attempt at insults even fall short. Off the land of the trolls for you.

I don't know if it is injury, o-line, his competitiveness, or that he really is not as good as people thought, but this year there is no question Luck is playing like one of the worst QB's in the NFL.

Yes, there is still time to right wrongs.  Win the division and possibly go into the playoff's on a hot streak, and with the team having figured out their issues at the right time.  (homer speak of course.)

However, her is the kicker, aka, the silver lining.

This is contract year coming up at the end of this season for Luck.  Irsay gets to decide if he is still his guy, and if he does, (which i fully expect) then that 25+ mil/year contract everyone expected is gone.

Indy could in fact get him for around (even under) 20mil/year with the current play he has demonstrated thus far this year.

This could go a LONG way into adding a good O-lineman and possibly another pass rusher or corner.  

Saving cap with Luck's poor play this year could mean long term benefits towards building a 'real' monster for the years to come.

I don't know if it is injury, o-line, his competitiveness, or that he really is not as good as people thought, but this year there is no question Luck is playing like one of the worst QB's in the NFL.

Yes, there is still time to right wrongs.  Win the division and possibly go into the playoff's on a hot streak, and with the team having figured out their issues at the right time.  (homer speak of course.)

However, her is the kicker, aka, the silver lining.

This is contract year for Luck.  Irsay gets to decide if he is still his guy, and if he does, (which i fully expect) then that 25+ mil/year contract everyone expected is gone.

Indy could in fact get him for around (even under) 20mil/year with the current play he has demonstrated thus far this year.

This could go a LONG way into adding a good O-lineman and possibly another pass rusher or corner.  

Saving cap with Luck's poor play this year could mean long term benefits towards building a 'real' monster for the years to come.

It's not his contract year , so no pressure for Luck to agree to a long term deal coming off his worst season. Your correct if they (both sides) decide to extend him next year as his value will no doubt be down. 

It's not his contract year , so no pressure for Luck to agree to a long term deal coming off his worst season. Your correct if they (both sides) decide to extend him next year as his value will no doubt be down. 

Corrected. it was a typo...i knew it was for 2016, But no good QB's go through their last full year of a contract anymore to sign extensions.  it is just too dangerous to let a good QB enter free agency.  It is fully expected For Luck to sign an extension after this year.

The reason to re-do Luck's contract this off-season is because his salary is about to jump.    If my memory is correct,  I think it jumps to about 15-16 Mill.

If we re-do it this off-season we can lower the salary cap hit for 2016.    That's been the plan all along.

So,   there is pressure on both sides to get a deal done this winter/spring..........

The reason to re-do Luck's contract this off-season is because his salary is about to jump.    If my memory is correct,  I think it jumps to about 15-16 Mill.

If we re-do it this off-season we can lower the salary cap hit for 2016.    That's been the plan all along.

So,   there is pressure on both sides to get a deal done this winter/spring..........

My point was it's not his contract year and if there is a shoulder issue , Irsay could feel better served to wait a year. Luck on the other hand might not want to do a long term deal after one bad year in his career. I know all the reasons why it makes sense to extend the deal but way less pressure to do so considering he has the extra year. I don't think you need to lower the cap that much next year as you have a lot of money to save by cutting some of these older players. IMO.. no big deal if Luck cost 16 mill or say 12 mill next year.