Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wll Luck still be the top paid QB with his next contract? [Merge]

Old Colt

Corrected. it was a typo...i knew it was for 2016, But no good QB's go through their last full year of a contract anymore to sign extensions.  it is just too dangerous to let a good QB enter free agency.  It is fully expected For Luck to sign an extension after this year.

I have no doubt that was the plan but shoulder injuries can be permanent and so far 2015 has been a he regression. Best laid out plans might go to the wayside here...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it is injury, o-line, his competitiveness, or that he really is not as good as people thought, but this year there is no question Luck is playing like one of the worst QB's in the NFL.

Yes, there is still time to right wrongs. Win the division and possibly go into the playoff's on a hot streak, and with the team having figured out their issues at the right time. (homer speak of course.)

However, her is the kicker, aka, the silver lining.

This is contract year coming up at the end of this season for Luck. Irsay gets to decide if he is still his guy, and if he does, (which i fully expect) then that 25+ mil/year contract everyone expected is gone.

Indy could in fact get him for around (even under) 20mil/year with the current play he has demonstrated thus far this year.

This could go a LONG way into adding a good O-lineman and possibly another pass rusher or corner.

Saving cap with Luck's poor play this year could mean long term benefits towards building a 'real' monster for the years to come.

Only silver lining is we're going 3-13 and having a top 10 pick with hopefully a GM that won't take a WR with that pick

Good chance to finally learn how to draft right

Silver lining? Irsay will clean house

Look at the last two head coaches (and since I wasn't all that impressed with Dungy, either, all the head coaches we've had), Jim Caldwell and Chuck Pagano. What makes you think Jim Irsay would know a good coach if he saw one? I sincerely hope that Mr. Irsay gets some quality consultation from real football experts on GMs and HCs before taking another flyer on some tepid "nice guys" who spout cliches.

Seems we've wasted the talent of Peyton Manning (who became the real head coach), and are now doing the same thing with Andrew Luck. I don't want a clean, empty house. I would prefer some "there, there".

Look at the last two head coaches (and since I wasn't all that impressed with Dungy, either, all the head coaches we've had), Jim Caldwell and Chuck Pagano. What makes you think Jim Irsay would know a good coach if he saw one? I sincerely hope that Mr. Irsay gets some quality consultation from real football experts on GMs and HCs before taking another flyer on some tepid "nice guys" who spout cliches.

Seems we've wasted the talent of Peyton Manning (who became the real head coach), and are now doing the same thing with Andrew Luck. I don't want a clean, empty house. I would prefer some "there, there".

Problem with Irsay is he wants to keep this a classy organization. No "bad guys".

Reality is the best people you can get are the bad guys lol

Scott McCullough the GM for the Redskins who built the Seahawks & 49ers is supposedly a "alcoholic".

If you ask me, if you could build my team even close to what you did for those 2.... I'll buy you a drink my own self. But Irsay wants class guys. And in today's world, Nice guys finish last

This team needs players like Suh, Burfict, Richardson (Jets DL). Yeah they're head cases sometimes, but they bring attitude & intimidation to that field. Player's fear them

It wouldn't hurt this team to get some bad boys on the squad. We could be the Bad Boy Pistons of the NFL honestly haha

There is no silver lining to Luck's bad play. We need for him to be worth a huge contract. Everything this organization has done since 2012 revolves around Andrew Luck; from showing one of the greatest QBs of all time the door to inexplicably drafting a WR in the first round in April. Luck's regression has been disastrous and some Colts brass are going to be unemployed soon.

Sorry if this post is overly dramatic! =)

Problem with Irsay is he wants to keep this a classy organization. No "bad guys".

Reality is the best people you can get are the bad guys lol

Scott McCullough the GM for the Redskins who built the Seahawks & 49ers is supposedly a "alcoholic".

If you ask me, if you could build my team even close to what you did for those 2.... I'll buy you a drink my own self. But Irsay wants class guys. And in today's world, Nice guys finish last

This team needs players like Suh, Burfict, Richardson (Jets DL). Yeah they're head cases sometimes, but they bring attitude & intimidation to that field. Player's fear them

It wouldn't hurt this team to get some bad boys on the squad. We could be the Bad Boy Pistons of the NFL honestly haha

Good or bad is one thing. Competent or incompetent is another. I'd go for competent, anyday.

Corrected. it was a typo...i knew it was for 2016, But no good QB's go through their last full year of a contract anymore to sign extensions. it is just too dangerous to let a good QB enter free agency. It is fully expected For Luck to sign an extension after this year.

There is no doubt that if Luck doesn't get the number he wants, he will play through his 5th year option next year and bet on himself.

Lol if pep doesn't get fired before Sunday I'm changing teams for the year and I'm just gonna root for the damn Pats of all teams

I will never root for the Pats. Silver lining is Luck will get better with coaching changes. Even QB Hall of Famers have bad years. Namath is in HOF and he was an INT machine there.  

Lol if pep doesn't get fired before Sunday I'm changing teams for the year and I'm just gonna root for the damn Pats of all teams

Heck no. If i'm gonna route for any other team, it for sure wont be the Cheaters in NE.  I'll route for the Cowboys(I can't stand them either) before I'd route for our rivals and the cheaters.  I do pull for the Broncos except when they play the Colts though

I don't know if it is injury, o-line, his competitiveness, or that he really is not as good as people thought, but this year there is no question Luck is playing like one of the worst QB's in the NFL.

Yes, there is still time to right wrongs.  Win the division and possibly go into the playoff's on a hot streak, and with the team having figured out their issues at the right time.  (homer speak of course.)

This is contract year coming up at the end of this season for Luck.  Irsay gets to decide if he is still his guy, and if he does, (which i fully expect) then that 25+ mil/year contract everyone expected is gone.

Indy could in fact get him for around (even under) 20mil/year with the current play he has demonstrated thus far this year.

This could go a LONG way into adding a good O-lineman and possibly another pass rusher or corner.  

Saving cap with Luck's poor play this year could mean long term benefits towards building a 'real' monster for the years to come.

We either pay Luck, or become the post Marino Dolphins. 

We are paying Luck.

I will never root for the Pats. Silver lining is Luck will get better with coaching changes. Even QB Hall of Famers have bad years. Namath is in HOF and he was an INT machine there.  

Namath isn't in the HOF because he was good, Namath is in the HOF because he guaranteed victory over the Baltimore Colts in Superbowl 3.

It's the Hall of Fame not the hall of good players.

In my eyes Luck is struggling because:

- of a horrible Offensive Line

- injuries because of that horrible OL. Luck is one of the most hit QB in the last three years can't ignore or deny that our OL is probably a huge reason why he is struggling right now

- dumb Play calling by an OC that is not ready for the NFL. sorry Pep!

- Colts repeating their mistakes of the past. all on the shoulders of their QB and very few other playmakers/leaders so too much pressure on Luck

- Luck himself by forcing things, making questionable decisions again and again

How can we solve it? Seriously I think we have to clean the house. That means goodbye to Grigson and Hamilton. If it is true that Grigson runs the show and Pagano can't make any

decisions I'm willing to give him one more Chance otherwise he should go...

There is no doubt that if Luck doesn't get the number he wants, he will play through his 5th year option next year and bet on himself.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Luck play through his option year, then refuse a new contract from the Colts.  No matter how poorly he plays over the next 24 games there will be 31 teams (OK, maybe not Green Bay) who will pay him whatever it takes to sign him. It will not only make him a very wealthy young man, but he will have this one golden opportunity to finally go to a team with a competent front office and coaching staff. I keep having this nagging feeling that we may see Peyton play one more season in Denver after this one, then have Luck succeed him once again. 

Yes, there is still time to right wrongs.  Win the division and possibly go into the playoff's on a hot streak, and with the team having figured out their issues at the right time.  (homer speak of course.)

This is contract year coming up at the end of this season for Luck.  Irsay gets to decide if he is still his guy, and if he does, (which i fully expect) then that 25+ mil/year contract everyone expected is gone.

Merged your thread