Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is there no OL player we can trade for?

We saw when Evan Mathis joined the Broncos late, how hard it was to assimilate him into that Broncos offense and it is still a work in progress. So, adding an OL at this juncture is not wise. Sticking with a specific line up to build continuity is more important. 

For the moment, lean on the run game and TEs to take pressure off Luck, and dial up more 3 step drop plays for him, that should help minimize OL weaknesses, IMO.

Yes - I hear that the Browns are interested in trading us Joe Thomas and Dallas really wants us to take Zach Martin off their hands - both for conditional 7th rounders.

YES! that's what I am talking about!  I bet we could include some cream pies and get Collins too.

Really though something needs to happen... I hate just watching my team go to crud...

As Deakynn stated there is a shortage of quality Lineman in the league currently which means if we even wanted to trade for one we would have to give up alot of value in a trade. When looking towards the future of this Franchise it wouldn't make much sense. We want to retain as many draft picks as possible and build through the draft especially given the fact that we have some guys that we will be needing to lock down with new contracts Luck being one of them. Even if we were able to secure someone there is still the hassle of them learning the blocking scheme and playbook. 

It looks like we have to settle with who we currently have and hope for the best. 

Is there no OL player we can trade for that would instantly upgrade this line?  Seems like there could be something we could do to keep our QB upright...

there is a lot of trading going around here int eh beginning of the season it it just looks like we are on the outside looking in...

Thoughts?

It's possible that we could pry a linemen or 2 from the Bears for late round picks, considering they're going through a massive fire sale right now, but even then, it would take time for them to gel.

We saw when Evan Mathis joined the Broncos late, how hard it was to assimilate him into that Broncos offense and it is still a work in progress. So, adding an OL at this juncture is not wise. Sticking with a specific line up to build continuity is more important. 

For the moment, lean on the run game and TEs to take pressure off Luck, and dial up more 3 step drop plays for him, that should help minimize OL weaknesses, IMO.

While it's true that the OL needs time to gel together, I think you need more talent than we have now.  Herremans, Louis, and Thornton have all been pretty mediocre in whatever playing time they've had.  I think we need to find more talent, then let them gel together.  However, it's hard to find good OL talent

I think its more a matter of finding the right combination of lineman already on our roster. 

We know that Castanzo is a lock at LT. 

I think Mewhort was good at RT but putting him back at LG is fine too. 

I think Holmes has done pretty decent at center.  He isn't an all star or anything but I haven't noticed him getting torched too bad on plays. 

Reitz did pretty good at RT last game, but it was against the Titans and I don't think they had any world beaters on that defensive line across from him.  I would like to see Reitz at LG and Mewhort back at RT to see how that combo works. 

Now we have that RG spot... If Thornton can stop holding every other snap I think he would be a good fit there.  Most of our big runs went to the right side so obviously he was doing something right...

In my ideal world I think we would see Castanzo-Reitz-Holmes-Thornton-Mewhort as the starting lineup.  But we will probably see it with Reitz and Mewhort swapped, which I don't think would be too horrible either.

Regardless... after all that gum flapping... or finger wiggling rather... NO there really isn't anyone we can sign right now that would make an instant impact.

Yes - I hear that the Browns are interested in trading us Joe Thomas and Dallas really wants us to take Zach Martin off their hands - both for conditional 7th rounders.

I think either would be an upgrade to what we have now.  Just curious where did you hear this, and is it a good source?

However, it's hard to find good OL talent

That's the story of this season really. It seems in general that defenses are starting to catch up, and just flat out dominate their counterparts in the trenches.

It's like many have said before on this forum: there just isn't much development going on for these positions.

I think either would be an upgrade to what we have now.  Just curious where did you hear this, and is it a good source?

I think you forgot to use your "sarcasm" font... either that or you failed to notice the sarcasm font of the poster you quoted... Either way... someone made a mistake somewhere...

I think it's something that we NEED to do as soon as possible. Lance Louis is absolutely terrible at guard. Thornton isn't much better along side of Khaled Holmes. I don't know if there's something in the water this season but they have forgotten how to play football. Sad but true. We need to make a trade for a couple of guards. One would be a huge help but not many are going to give up their better offensive linemen. I'm curious about Denzell Good and if he would be better than Lance Louis at least.

That's the story of this season really. It seems in general that defenses are starting to catch up, and just flat out dominate their counterparts in the trenches.

It's like many have said before on this forum: there just isn't much development going on for these positions.

Seems like a couple of organizations are good at developing OLs - - New England, GB, Dallas.  These teams have done it primarily through the draft.  Grigson has tried to mixed results.  I'm not sure how good the Colt's OL Coach is in terms of coaching guys up 

I think it's something that we NEED to do as soon as possible. Lance Louis is absolutely terrible at guard. Thornton isn't much better along side of Khaled Holmes. I don't know if there's something in the water this season but they have forgotten how to play football. Sad but true. We need to make a trade for a couple of guards. One would be a huge help but not many are going to give up their better offensive linemen. I'm curious about Denzell Good and if he would be better than Lance Louis at least.

I'm not ready to give up on Thornton yet.  Yes, he had too many holding calls - 1-2 were questionable in the eyes of many.  The Colts successfully ran right throughout the game behind Thornton and Rietz.  I think that there is something there if he and Rietz can stay healthy.  That's a big "if" for both of them.

Well, we could have walk on tryouts... lol...

"Come one, come all! If you're over 6'6 and weigh over 300 lbs, STEP RIGHT UP!! See if you can beat Lance Louis in a wrestling match!!"

I'm not 6'6 and 300 lbs but even I could beat Lance Louis

I'm not ready to give up on Thornton yet.  Yes, he had too many holding calls - 1-2 were questionable in the eyes of many.  The Colts successfully ran right throughout the game behind Thornton and Rietz.  I think that there is something there if he and Rietz can stay healthy.  That's a big "if" for both of them.

I think he may be serviceable and I too thought his back to back holding calls were tacky. (Defender fell both times). However, he's not a long term guy in my eyes. If we somehow made a trade for a good left guard and we kept Thornton at right guard, that may be okay. But he isn't the future.

While it's true that the OL needs time to gel together, I think you need more talent than we have now.  Herremans, Louis, and Thornton have all been pretty mediocre in whatever playing time they've had.  I think we need to find more talent, then let them gel together.  However, it's hard to find good OL talent

as much as I try to support the current roster of OL we carry....its hard for me to disagree with your above statement, the way you have presented your argument... touche.....

and for what its worth I absolutely agree with your last sentence. this is a NFL-wide issue that I believe is going to continue to be discussed as the season/NFL continues in longevity. Which brings me to the only question I would pose to the OP...

Is there no OL player we can trade for that would instantly upgrade this line?  Seems like there could be something we could do to keep our QB upright...

there is a lot of trading going around here int eh beginning of the season it it just looks like we are on the outside looking in...

Thoughts?

I would like to pose a question as opposed to any thoughts...

the debate of are their good OL available to make a move for is solely hypothetical without having "inside" knowledge on possible deals being discussed... so I would ask?

If their were such an available player to deal for, whom WOULD come in and instantly improve our offensive trench... what would be a reasonable value to offer for said player in return?

my fear in venturing down this rabbit hole is...

is a 1.2 pick too high a price? what about a 4,5,6 pick? 

on this, my thoughts would be that we should not over reach and give up too much to satisfy public perception that we need to go big on OL or go home... for we may trade a mid/late pick for an OL that has not performed well enough to stay on his current team, in the hopes they are going to evolve our OL for the better...or we take the serviceable roster of current, and plan accordingly to maximize our picks in the upcoming draft.

we tried to go big and cherry pick a RB for a huge price... a move that I was on board with 100% and thought was going to be Edge 2.0...but we all know how that turned out, and now the public perception of our GM because of this "bust" trade... would a similar move for an OL turn out the same? hypothetical debate again...but one I would not be overly comfortable with the team flirting with

By pure coincidence,  ESPN.com has TWO stories out today about the shortage of quality OL.

Both stories refer to the problem as an "epidemic"....

And by good luck,  both stories are on this link.     Read the first story,  and then simply scroll down, and read the story by Mortonsen and Shefter....   the OL section on that story is topic #3.

Good information.     It explains in detail why the there's such a shortage.

In other words,  our OL issues are not specific to the Colts.    Almost ALL teams are having serious OL problems, not just Indy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/181904/nfls-o-line-epidemic-threatens-its-qb-star-system

Teams that are looking to pick high in the draft to get a QB might be willing to part with a quality Ol for a price. New Orleans got a pro bowl center from Seattle, they might want to part with him. Cleveland has Erving are an extra, they might be willing to part with a quality OL to help use that pick as a tool for the 2016 draft.

The issue is thAt you not only have to give up the pick, but you have to make room for a large contract, meaning cuts..

I can hear Grigson's conversation with the other GM....

"What we want is a quality Olineman for a third round pick. (since we need a pass rusher and CB next spring, and quality starters at those positions aren't available in mid rounds).   Sowhat I'm asking your team to do, is to get your QB killed the rest of the season and then use our third to draft a rookie that you hope will be just as good in a few months as the guy you gave us right now." 

Thoughts?

What has your research come up with??? Names?

What has your research come up with??? Names?

I would say start with teams that drafted high OL that have some depth...  like SF, Seatle, Arizona, St.Louis....  see if you can get a durable solid vet that isn't 32 and can hold his own...

To be honest I wouldnt mind seeing some of our other guys thrown in to see how they handle a starting line this week  see what Harrison/Goode can do