Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Opinions on Phillip Dorsett to this point

Yoshinator

I watched the game during the night, and Phillip Dorsett is still being criminally underused. The only time I saw him on the field (again) was the 4th quarter. He got 3 pass attempts and caught two. One was a nice 35 yard td pass. He is always making great plays when given the chance and with Andre struggling yet another game, I think it's time Dorsett gets more playing time. With his 4th quarter yards, he would be our leading receiver yards wise if you averaged that out through 3 full games. He always makes his receptions count, and that's the shot in the arm that this offense needs. What do you guys think?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pagano probably thinks he needs to work on it some more before putting him in. Last week he ran the wrong route for an INT. I guess that is still sticking in Pagano's head. I hope we can see TY and Dorsett on the field together to hopefully create a bad mismatch with their speed.

I mean you have to think, he's a rookie and they are just slowly trying to work him in.. There is no reason to break his confidence early in the season with a player like him, he's a special talent, so if they slowly mold him we could have something special.  I don't expect a 1,000 yard receiver out of him, I just would like to see a dependable guy who can make a big play every once in a while.. He is just a rookie, and we did just finish the 3rd game of our season!

We are easing him into things it seems, but I'm cool with that. Same way we eased Moncrief in, but hopefully we amp things up for him faster than we did with Moncrief last year.  Don't put much film out there on him, and then break him out against New England!  That's probably the plan.....Maybe

Yeah, I think the 2014 class and the illusion that the WRs are dominating in their 1st year now has me impatient for Dorsett to do the same. He's my boy, and I really want to see him succeed. It does look like they are easing him in. Hopefully he'll get more playing time throughout the year, especially with Andre struggling. He makes the occasional mistake, but I like the effort from him so far.

I watched the game during the night, and Phillip Dorsett is still being criminally underused. The only time I saw him on the field (again) was the 4th quarter. He got 3 pass attempts and caught two. One was a nice 35 yard td pass. He is always making great plays when given the chance and with Andre struggling yet another game, I think it's time Dorsett gets more playing time. With his 4th quarter yards, he would be our leading receiver yards wise if you averaged that out through 3 full games. He always makes his receptions count, and that's the shot in the arm that this offense needs. What do you guys think?

I was a huge fan of the Andre signing, hated the Dorsett pick however, I think now, in hindsight, Grigs looks like a genius.  it was a luxury pick for sure, but it looks to pay dividends, Andre right now is worst than Reggie was at the end of the season.  Not showing up at all on the field.  

I do not agree with that statement, you cant go off of intangibles of a few catches in the 4th qtr. IMO he is inconsistent he's had a few dropped balls and has shown a fumbling issue in preseason lets not forget that muffed punt the first game. Id rather us work more Fleener into the game plan bigger body target that can create mismatches against safeties and linebackers. 

I was a huge fan of the Andre signing, hated the Dorsett pick however, I think now, in hindsight, Grigs looks like a genius.  it was a luxury pick for sure, but it looks to pay dividends, Andre right now is worst than Reggie was at the end of the season.  Not showing up at all on the field.  

Yep, Dorsett is basically our 3 right now without the playing time. He plays mostly in the 4th quarter. You could make an estimate that his stats based on playing time are 5 catches, 113 yards, 1 td in 1 game of playing time. He makes plays in his limited opportunities and he deserves more. I hope he at least gets 5-10 more snaps next week. The quicker he plays more, the more potent our offense will be. Andre is starting to become a liability.

I do not agree with that statement, you cant go off of intangibles of a few catches in the 4th qtr. IMO he is inconsistent he's had a few dropped balls and has shown a fumbling issue in preseason lets not forget that muffed punt the first game. Id rather us work more Fleener into the game plan bigger body target that can create mismatches against safeties and linebackers. 

I can't disagree with the dropped balls, but he's a rookie. The muffed punt means little as he is not fielding punts anymore. You want to say that you can't go off a few catches in the 4th? What are we supposed to go off of? They haven't played him any other time. I'm going off his playing time in 3 games where he has taken advantage o every catch and made it count (5 catches, 113 yards, 1 td, that's 22.6 yds a catch). I'm also considering his college days which is consistent with what he has done in the NFL (long catches). You obviously can't spot a talented receiver and put 2 and 2 together. He's legit, the only reason he's not our leading receiver is because of playing time, and even Hilton went through that his rookie year before becoming great.

I can't disagree with the dropped balls, but he's a rookie. The muffed punt means little as he is not fielding punts anymore. You want to say that you can't go off a few catches in the 4th? What are we supposed to go off of? They haven't played him any other time. I'm going off his playing time in 3 games where he has taken advantage o every catch and made it count (5 catches, 113 yards, 1 td, that's 22.6 yds a catch). I'm also considering his college days which is consistent with what he has done in the NFL (long catches). You obviously can't spot a talented receiver and put 2 and 2 together. He's legit, the only reason he's not our leading receiver is because of playing time, and even Hilton went through that his rookie year before becoming great.

yep and I do believe Moncrief was the same way last season, now look, he's becoming Andrew's number 2 man and in some cases, the number 1 guy depending on the circumstances.......

I can go off of his production in the preseason as well. when he went up against * poor second team defenses and didn't look the part. Once again ill also reiterate the fact that he also couldn't hold on to the ball he fumbled several times during the preseason. At this point no i don't believe he deserves more playing time he needs to continue to get worked into the Offense like Moncrief had been last season. Im not giving him reps over Hilton, Moncrief, AJ or Fleener. he hasn't done anything spectacular. He caught 2 catches for 43 yards total and one of those catches was for 35 yards. so he isn't exactly lighting up the board. I can certainly evaluate talent so your comment about my disability to spot a talented receiver is null and void sir. You cant sit here and say that if he'd been given more playing time in the first two games he'd be leading in receiving, that's basically a discredit to everyone else. Please also keep in mind how the pass rush and secondary of the Bills and Jets  also prevented luck from even finding the likes of a Hilton, Johnson or a Fleener what would have made it any different for Dorsett? 

Ill wait..... 

I can go off of his production in the preseason as well. when he went up against * poor second team defenses and didn't look the part. Once again ill also reiterate the fact that he also couldn't hold on to the ball he fumbled several times during the preseason. At this point no i don't believe he deserves more playing time he needs to continue to get worked into the Offense like Moncrief had been last season. Im not giving him reps over Hilton, Moncrief, AJ or Fleener. he hasn't done anything spectacular. He caught 2 catches for 43 yards total and one of those catches was for 35 yards. so he isn't exactly lighting up the board. I can certainly evaluate talent so your comment about my disability to spot a talented receiver is null and void sir. You cant sit here and say that if he'd been given more playing time in the first two games he'd be leading in receiving, that's basically a discredit to everyone else. Please also keep in mind how the pass rush and secondary of the Bills and Jets  also prevented luck from even finding the likes of a Hilton, Johnson or a Fleener what would have made it any different for Dorsett? 

Ill wait..... 

So you go by preseason and not the regular season? Got it. I also didn't realize he was supposed to have a 100 yd game with 1 quarter of work this week. I'd say two catches for 43 yds and a td is pretty good for a quarter. Based on his first 3 games (5 catches, 113 yds and a td in 3 quarters of work) I can make the assumption that he'd be our leading receiver. He is playing 1/4 the time of TY and Moncrief and has 1/2 their yards. Also if TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett are all out there the whole game with the Jets and Bills instead of Andre, it would benefit all three as the CBs would have to double team and couldn't stop their speed nearly as easy. Dorsett would of benefited TY and Moncrief and all three would have done better. You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

So you go by preseason and not the regular season? Got it. I also didn't realize he was supposed to have a 100 yd game with 1 quarter of work this week. I'd say two catches for 43 yds and a td is pretty good for a quarter. Based on his first 3 games (5 catches, 113 yds and a td in 3 quarters of work) I can make the assumption that he'd be our leading receiver. He is playing 1/4 the time of TY and Moncrief and has 1/2 their yards. Also if TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett are all out there the whole game with the Jets and Bills instead of Andre, it would benefit all three as the CBs would have to double team and couldn't stop their speed nearly as easy. Dorsett would of benefited TY and Moncrief and all three would have done better. You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

You have to keep in mind does Luck have the time to go through his progressions. Till the offensive line does a better job in giving Luck time this really has no bearing at this time. It's not a point of CBs covering when the QB don't have the time to find open receivers. It's a work in progress.

Haven't seen enough of Dorsett to form an opinion of whether we should use him more or continue the same path and work him in. I disagreed with how they limited Moncrief last season and I'd probably side with the same way on using Dorsett but he is a speedy little guy where Moncrief has size and speed.

What I would like to see out of our * OC, is to have a stacked tree of TY, Dorsett and either Moncrief or Whalen or Fleener even on one side and Andre or insert Moncrief/Fleener over there. Now you put a Gore in the back field as an outlet and or pass protector and that set up, how does that not open up an advantage in the passing game? TY and Dorsett speed to with go straight up or cross each other and come underneath and the other go out and the third guy in that tree? There isn't any creativity like that in our offense while we see it in each opponent we have faced each week. I think pep has read the preseason write ups here and said I have such talented guys that I don't have to scheme plays to open them up, they are far superior to the defense guys so I'll forgo planning and take the family to Disney for 2 weeks.

Schemes have to improve and with that, it should involve Dorsett.

You have to keep in mind does Luck have the time to go through his progressions. Till the offensive line does a better job in giving Luck time this really has no bearing at this time. It's not a point of CBs covering when the QB don't have the time to find open receivers. It's a work in progress.

Yes, but Luck has the same amount of time whether Dorsett is out there or not. It's the same O-Line. Dorsett is still putting up those stats in very limited time with the same O-Line that TY and Moncrief have when he's not out there. Dorsett benefits the team a lot more than Andre. With Andre now, a team can just put their 3rd CB on him. With Dorsett, you have to still put your no1 CB on Hilton, then you have to strategize. Do I put my no2 on Moncrief and cover his size and route running, or do I put my no2 on Dorsett and protect myself from his speed? Either way, there is a mismatch on the 3rd CB that wasn't there when Andre was in. This shows when Dorsett is the benficiary and gets long catches. It also shows when this has been the normal time this year that the team has caught up or sparked an offense (when Dorsett is in).

It's no secret that our offensive line is BAD. Why not use Dorsett's speed to help bandaid our flaws? Get this kid involved with some quick screens, reveres, etc. Speed kills.

Absolutely. We should be throwing it to him 5 yards and letting him turn it into 15. Reverses from him can get 10 yards and a 1st down easy. With Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett, we should be focusing on having a deadly short to medium pass game with potential for big yards every play like the Patriots. We have the receivers to do it, it's our strength and we aren't doing it.

I feel that Dorsett was the 'unsung hero' for the Colts.  Why?  Because he was able to get open and get off of the line of scrimmage easily.  The Titans went away from their press coverage and that spells doomsday for a defense.  (Bend but don't break)

With Moncrief AND Dorsett getting open and making plays, this allowed the running game to flourish and pass protection became easier as well.

Luck needs to quit looking at TY all of the time....we have playmakers. :thmup:

We are easing him into things it seems, but I'm cool with that. Same way we eased Moncrief in, but hopefully we amp things up for him faster than we did with Moncrief last year.  Don't put much film out there on him, and then break him out against New England!  That's probably the plan.....Maybe

I, personally, think Dorsett is more polished than TY and way more polished than Moncrief when they came out of college.  We have the luxury of having TY, AJ, and Moncrief, so you are right -- no need to rush him into anything.  Let him keep building his confidence and developing.

Yeah, I think the 2014 class and the illusion that the WRs are dominating in their 1st year now has me impatient for Dorsett to do the same. He's my boy, and I really want to see him succeed. It does look like they are easing him in. Hopefully he'll get more playing time throughout the year, especially with Andre struggling. He makes the occasional mistake, but I like the effort from him so far.

Yep, Dorsett is basically our 3 right now without the playing time. He plays mostly in the 4th quarter. You could make an estimate that his stats based on playing time are 5 catches, 113 yards, 1 td in 1 game of playing time. He makes plays in his limited opportunities and he deserves more. I hope he at least gets 5-10 more snaps next week. The quicker he plays more, the more potent our offense will be. Andre is starting to become a liability.

Yes, but Luck has the same amount of time whether Dorsett is out there or not. It's the same O-Line. Dorsett is still putting up those stats in very limited time with the same O-Line that TY and Moncrief have when he's not out there. Dorsett benefits the team a lot more than Andre. With Andre now, a team can just put their 3rd CB on him. With Dorsett, you have to still put your no1 CB on Hilton, then you have to strategize. Do I put my no2 on Moncrief and cover his size and route running, or do I put my no2 on Dorsett and protect myself from his speed? Either way, there is a mismatch on the 3rd CB that wasn't there when Andre was in. This shows when Dorsett is the benficiary and gets long catches. It also shows when this has been the normal time this year that the team has caught up or sparked an offense (when Dorsett is in).

Dorsett is a burner, Andre is not.  Andre had a nice 37 yard catch which was negated by Thornton yesterday.

I don't think Andre has been a liability, I think he just isn't being used properly.  He is still big and there have been plenty of times where he is getting himself open underneath and Luck either isn't checking down to him or he is not making good passes to him.

For this offense to become as effective as it has potential to become -- we need to start utilizing players towards what they are good for/good at.  Andre, at this point in his career, is no longer a deep threat, he is not a burner, but he is still big-bodied and he still gets open.  The thing with Johnson is, he is getting open on shorter routes and he isn't getting checked down to. 

Moving forward, I really hope Pep figures a way to allow this offense to utilize the TEs and Andre as possession WRs, which will really benefit our burners.

If you watch the tape, you'll see that there are plenty of plays where Andre gets open and he simply isn't being looked at.  Hopefully Luck and Pep notice this on the game film.

I, personally, think Dorsett is more polished than TY and way more polished than Moncrief when they came out of college.  We have the luxury of having TY, AJ, and Moncrief, so you are right -- no need to rush him into anything.  Let him keep building his confidence and developing.

Dorsett is a burner, Andre is not.  Andre had a nice 37 yard catch which was negated by Thornton yesterday.

I don't think Andre has been a liability, I think he just isn't being used properly.  He is still big and there have been plenty of times where he is getting himself open underneath and Luck either isn't checking down to him or he is not making good passes to him.

For this offense to become as effective as it has potential to become -- we need to start utilizing players towards what they are good for/good at.  Andre, at this point in his career, is no longer a deep threat, he is not a burner, but he is still big-bodied and he still gets open.  The thing with Johnson is, he is getting open on shorter routes and he isn't getting checked down to. 

Moving forward, I really hope Pep figures a way to allow this offense to utilize the TEs and Andre as possession WRs, which will really benefit our burners.

If you watch the tape, you'll see that there are plenty of plays where Andre gets open and he simply isn't being looked at.  Hopefully Luck and Pep notice this on the game film.

I currently have 2 problems with Andre, he's slowed down considerably, and even more troubling, his hands aren't what they used to be. He is dropping a bunch of passes this year and he's been covered a lot more than he should be. As you said, he is no longer a deep threat either, so his usefulness as a receiver is plummeting. If Andre can't start producing, he needs to be phased out of the offense. I understand Dorsett is learning still, but he is a first rounder and Amari Cooper is dominating right now as a rookie and he got thrown into the fire as the no1 receiver for the Raiders. Dorsett should be able to handle being the 3. Hopefully it's soon. The earlier, the better.

On the Contrary you have no idea what you are talking about you are making assumptions on the premise of "what if's". He played 15 snaps all game had ONE big play and you're really gonna sit here and say he would be our leading receiver if given more snaps over Proven guys? Stop the malarkey, Hilton, Moncrief, and Johnson are all PROVEN. Dorsett hasn't done much of anything for me to take snaps over any of the guys mentioned prior. 

Game 1) 1 catch for 25 yards

Game 2) 2 catchs for 45 yards

Game 3) 2 catchs for 43 yards 1 TD. {on a blown assignment.}

Im not taking anything away from his Talent or his speed should i say. But im not sold on him being able to step in right now as a rookie. He will continue playing in his limited Snap count whether you like it or not.