Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Opinions on Phillip Dorsett to this point

Yoshinator

On the Contrary you have no idea what you are talking about you are making assumptions on the premise of "what if's". He played 15 snaps all game had ONE big play and you're really gonna sit here and say he would be our leading receiver if given more snaps over Proven guys? Stop the malarkey, Hilton, Moncrief, and Johnson are all PROVEN. Dorsett hasn't done much of anything for me to take snaps over any of the guys mentioned prior. 

Game 1) 1 catch for 25 yards

Game 2) 2 catchs for 45 yards

Game 3) 2 catchs for 43 yards 1 TD. {on a blown assignment.}

Im not taking anything away from his Talent or his speed should i say. But im not sold on him being able to step in right now as a rookie. He will continue playing in his limited Snap count whether you like it or not. 

Your (on a blown assignment) comment just shows you hate dorsett and are still mad about the pick. As I said, that was 3 quarters of play, you don't get it and you'll never get it because you don't care to get it. He got 1/2 the yards of Hilton and Moncrief in a 1/4 of the time. 3 Quarters. Anyone with a brain knows that he would get another 100 yds in 9 more quarters the way he burns defenses and catches long passes. You just hate him because he was a 1st round WR and refuse to give him credit because he's a rookie and you're one of those people who go by name value (andre johnson), and can't judge talent.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently have 2 problems with Andre, he's slowed down considerably, and even more troubling, his hands aren't what they used to be. He is dropping a bunch of passes this year and he's been covered a lot more than he should be. As you said, he is no longer a deep threat either, so his usefulness as a receiver is plummeting. If Andre can't start producing, he needs to be phased out of the offense. I understand Dorsett is learning still, but he is a first rounder and Amari Cooper is dominating right now as a rookie and he got thrown into the fire as the no1 receiver for the Raiders. Dorsett should be able to handle being the 3. Hopefully it's soon. The earlier, the better.

Cooper is the Raiders #1 receiver at this point. Comparing Dorsett to Cooper is apples and oranges as the Colts have TY and Moncrief as starters ahead of him as it should be.

I watched the game during the night, and Phillip Dorsett is still being criminally underused. The only time I saw him on the field (again) was the 4th quarter. He got 3 pass attempts and caught two. One was a nice 35 yard td pass. He is always making great plays when given the chance and with Andre struggling yet another game, I think it's time Dorsett gets more playing time. With his 4th quarter yards, he would be our leading receiver yards wise if you averaged that out through 3 full games. He always makes his receptions count, and that's the shot in the arm that this offense needs. What do you guys think?

I think we need to set it to AJ more.  Luck seems to always want to force the ball to TY as his first read.  I think Luck needs to trust Johnson more.  Coaching needs to set plays to Johnson if Luck won't decide to throw to him more. 

He was thrown to only, what, twice?  I know he stumbled on one play but the other was a good catch for yards. 

I am trying to look things up but espn and other places are saying Johnson didnt have any targets at all.  Maybe the announcers were wrong and i didnt see who it was, but that just proves my point further.  Johnson is capable, Luck just isnt targeting him at all.

This next week against the Jags, they need to get him in the game early and often.

Your (on a blown assignment) comment just shows you hate dorsett and are still mad about the pick. As I said, that was 3 quarters of play, you don't get it and you'll never get it because you don't care to get it. He got 1/2 the yards of Hilton and Moncrief in a 1/4 of the time. 3 Quarters. Anyone with a brain knows that he would get another 100 yds in 9 more quarters the way he burns defenses and catches long passes. You just hate him because he was a 1st round WR and refuse to give him credit because he's a rookie and you're one of those people who go by name value (andre johnson), and can't judge talent.

But it doesn't work that way?

I'm not disagreeing that he should more playing time (more down to AJ's poor play thus far than anything) but you can't just pro rata numbers like that in the NFL. I mean for one it's just such a small sample size of plays that even just from a pure statistics point of view it's flawed. Let's say he's seeing the field more, let's say he's our No.1 guy, he's probably going to be seeing their top CB. If he can produce then and for a number of games sure, you can throw that out there. But to say he's better than Moncrief let alone Hilton at this point... no one can say that because we've not seen enough.

I wouldn't go calling out people's intelligence because they can't "get" a flawed premise.  

I think we need to set it to AJ more.  Luck seems to always want to force the ball to TY as his first read.  I think Luck needs to trust Johnson more.  Coaching needs to set plays to Johnson if Luck won't decide to throw to him more. 

He was thrown to only, what, twice?  I know he stumbled on one play but the other was a good catch for yards. 

I am trying to look things up but espn and other places are saying Johnson didnt have any targets at all.  Maybe the announcers were wrong and i didnt see who it was, but that just proves my point further.  Johnson is capable, Luck just isnt targeting him at all.

This next week against the Jags, they need to get him in the game early and often.

This does seem part of the problem with AJ, he's not even getting targeted. Lack of separation or luck of QB trust?

Cooper is the Raiders #1 receiver at this point. Comparing Dorsett to Cooper is apples and oranges as the Colts have TY and Moncrief as starters ahead of him as it should be.

I agree, you proved my point exactly. Cooper as the 4th pick overall can handle being the no1, and Dorsett as a late 1st can handle being the no3. That works about the same based on where they were drafted.

I'm not disagreeing that he should more playing time (more down to AJ's poor play thus far than anything) but you can't just pro rata numbers like that in the NFL. I mean for one it's just such a small sample size of plays that even just from a pure statistics point of view it's flawed. Let's say he's seeing the field more, let's say he's our No.1 guy, he's probably going to be seeing their top CB. If he can produce then and for a number of games sure, you can throw that out there. But to say he's better than Moncrief let alone Hilton at this point... no one can say that because we've not seen enough.

I wouldn't go calling out people's intelligence because they can't "get" a flawed premise.  

It doesn't work exactly like that, but we can make a rough estimate based on limited samples. You are making the argument if he's our no1 guy, the problem with that argument is, even though he would have the best stats of any receiver through 3 games, he's not our no1 guy and no team would treat him as such. He's our no3 guy as of now and would be producing no1 stats while getting covered by the no3 CB. That's what's so great about Dorsett. They would have to adjust to him as they did Hilton, and it would be even harder to do so because of the threat of Moncrief and Hilton. Pick your poison.

I agree, you proved my point exactly. Cooper as the 4th pick overall can handle being the no1, and Dorsett as a late 1st can handle being the no3. That works about the same based on where they were drafted.

Apple to oranges.... 

Cooper is the No.1 because who else do the Raiders have?

Cooper is/was a much better player coming out of college. Coming out he was in the Jones/Bryant sort of bracket. 

Again, I don't think anyone is disagreeing with saying Dorsett has probably earned some more snaps but let's not start getting silly here. To say player X should be #3 on a depth chart because he was picked no.xx in the draft... things just don't work like that pal. 

I currently have 2 problems with Andre, he's slowed down considerably, and even more troubling, his hands aren't what they used to be. He is dropping a bunch of passes this year and he's been covered a lot more than he should be. As you said, he is no longer a deep threat either, so his usefulness as a receiver is plummeting. If Andre can't start producing, he needs to be phased out of the offense. I understand Dorsett is learning still, but he is a first rounder and Amari Cooper is dominating right now as a rookie and he got thrown into the fire as the no1 receiver for the Raiders. Dorsett should be able to handle being the 3. Hopefully it's soon. The earlier, the better.

I don't think we really need to have a designated order of WRs for this offense to be successful.  It seems like TY is our obvious #1, but Dorsett, Moncrief and Johnson all have very different skill sets and should be able to be used interchangeably throughout the course of the game each week with certain skill sets of each of them being ideal for certain situations.

Andre isn't dropping a bunch of passes, either.  I think he may have one or 2 actual drops and then maybe another one or 2 plays where Luck threw bad passes his direction that he was unable to come up with.  He is by no means a liability to our offense at this point.  Pep/Andrew just need to figure out how to actually use him.

Apple to oranges.... 

Cooper is the No.1 because who else do the Raiders have?

Cooper is/was a much better player coming out of college. Coming out he was in the Jones/Bryant sort of bracket. 

Again, I don't think anyone is disagreeing with saying Dorsett has probably earned some more snaps but let's not start getting silly here. To say player X should be #3 on a depth chart because he was picked no.xx in the draft... things just don't work like that pal. 

Yeah, I agree with you on this, but Andre is playing himself out of the #3 spot. I think Dorsett should get more snaps as he's earned it with his 4th quarter play, and we both should be able to agree on that.

Thank you, lol

I don't think we really need to have a designated order of WRs for this offense to be successful.  It seems like TY is our obvious #1, but Dorsett, Moncrief and Johnson all have very different skill sets and should be able to be used interchangeably throughout the course of the game each week with certain skill sets of each of them being ideal for certain situations.

Andre isn't dropping a bunch of passes, either.  I think he may have one or 2 actual drops and then maybe another one or 2 plays where Luck threw bad passes his direction that he was unable to come up with.  He is by no means a liability to our offense at this point.  Pep/Andrew just need to figure out how to actually use him.

We don't have a real big designated order of WR's, but the one caveat you can base it on is snap count. That's not going to force Luck to target someone more, but Dorsett needs more than 16 snaps a game. Give Andre another week or two, if the same pattern happens (he does very little for us and Dorsett continues to impress in limited time), cut Andre's snaps and increase Dorsett's. We do need to throw to Andre more, I agree, but he has to get open and catch the ball. Something is wrong where he is either doing nothing, or very little when he receives it. The 37 yard catch that was negated hurt though, so I will give him credit for that.

I watched the game during the night, and Phillip Dorsett is still being criminally underused. The only time I saw him on the field (again) was the 4th quarter. He got 3 pass attempts and caught two. One was a nice 35 yard td pass. He is always making great plays when given the chance and with Andre struggling yet another game, I think it's time Dorsett gets more playing time. With his 4th quarter yards, he would be our leading receiver yards wise if you averaged that out through 3 full games. He always makes his receptions count, and that's the shot in the arm that this offense needs. What do you guys think?

every game I say this yet I get the "he was a wasted pick" response

This does seem part of the problem with AJ, he's not even getting targeted. Lack of separation or luck of QB trust?

I could care less about separation when it comes to AJ.  Throw a good ball to where only AJ can reach it and see what he can do with it.  It either goes incomplete, or johnson gets it and can use his size to his advantage to break away from the defender after the catch. 

Problem is, trust Luck to make good LEADING throws to his receivers rather than high and/or behind.  Has always been my knock o luck from day one. 

get this guy on the field more please!!!!

he is a rookie and it wont always be pretty, but the offense has looked like crap when he is not in there anyway

He is by no means a liability to our offense at this point.  Pep/Andrew just need to figure out how to actually use him.

AJ has not been an asset either, and i'm not sure he is worth trying to scheme for at this point.  the role you are describing could be filled by the tight ends

Pagano probably thinks he needs to work on it some more before putting him in. Last week he ran the wrong route for an INT. I guess that is still sticking in Pagano's head. I hope we can see TY and Dorsett on the field together to hopefully create a bad mismatch with their speed.

he didn't luck rushed that throw and also to revis he was never open to begin with

We are easing him into things it seems, but I'm cool with that. Same way we eased Moncrief in, but hopefully we amp things up for him faster than we did with Moncrief last year. Don't put much film out there on him, and then break him out against New England! That's probably the plan.....Maybe

that's pointless and stupid we need the help no need to wait to unleash him.. Coaching staff is plain old stupid

I don't hate the pick at all lol, where you pulled that one from i don't know. im simply stating facts here. You still are not grasping the concept that you cannot make such assumptions based off of variables of three quarters of play. To say that he would be leading receiving based off of a blown assignment in the 4th qtr (and that's exactly what it was), is outlandish.You have no idea what he would have done within a 50 snap count game. Statistically you would be spot on but the game of football is not really based off of statistics. Because on "paper" we should be 3-0 right now but we see how that turned out. Use your logic before you question someone else's intelligence. I don't go based off of names i go based off of production and what you know you are going to get out of a receiver. once again Dorsett is UNPROVEN you know what you can get from Johnson, Hilton and Moncreif. Even Johnson's presence on the field is accounted for. Even if he doesn't catch a ball a defense HAS to account for him because defensive coordinators KNOWS what he is capable of doing. This is a Game of X's and O's not a game of math and lets predict how many yards a guy will have off of a small sample size of production. 

I was a huge fan of the Andre signing, hated the Dorsett pick however, I think now, in hindsight, Grigs looks like a genius. it was a luxury pick for sure, but it looks to pay dividends, Andre right now is worst than Reggie was at the end of the season. Not showing up at all on the field.

lies Andre is open a lot so is fleener luck just isn't taking the intermediate option

We are easing him into things it seems, but I'm cool with that. Same way we eased Moncrief in, but hopefully we amp things up for him faster than we did with Moncrief last year.  Don't put much film out there on him, and then break him out against New England!  That's probably the plan.....Maybe

TY was eased in, Moncrief was eased in, Dorsett will be eased in. Just the way Pags appears to do things with the WR's....

I could care less about separation when it comes to AJ.  Throw a good ball to where only AJ can reach it and see what he can do with it.  It either goes incomplete, or johnson gets it and can use his size to his advantage to break away from the defender after the catch. 

Problem is, trust Luck to make good LEADING throws to his receivers rather than high and/or behind.  Has always been my knock o luck from day one. 

And people are glancing over the fact that every good ball AJ has caught has been called back with a penalty flag.  He had a nice long catch and run yesterday and then it gets called back for a penalty.  Same kind of thing happened against the Jets.  It's way too early in the season to write AJ off.  He'll show his worth soon, although I still say the main targets should be T.Y., Moncrief, Dorsett and the Tight ends.  AJ is best used in a similar capacity as to how the Jets used Decker against us.   I'd do more to get him the ball than Luck has been doing.  He's been open but not targeted, man has hands like glue and it will show once he's settled in to the offense.      I still have faith in AJ.

I do not agree with that statement, you cant go off of intangibles of a few catches in the 4th qtr. IMO he is inconsistent he's had a few dropped balls and has shown a fumbling issue in preseason lets not forget that muffed punt the first game. Id rather us work more Fleener into the game plan bigger body target that can create mismatches against safeties and linebackers.

wrong where are these dropped balls you mention.. The most action he got was against revis where you know damn well he isn't winning that matchup as a rookie when Hilton couldn't in the game himself..talking about consistency you need to bring up luck and his high arched passes

I can go off of his production in the preseason as well. when he went up against * poor second team defenses and didn't look the part. Once again ill also reiterate the fact that he also couldn't hold on to the ball he fumbled several times during the preseason. At this point no i don't believe he deserves more playing time he needs to continue to get worked into the Offense like Moncrief had been last season. Im not giving him reps over Hilton, Moncrief, AJ or Fleener. he hasn't done anything spectacular. He caught 2 catches for 43 yards total and one of those catches was for 35 yards. so he isn't exactly lighting up the board. I can certainly evaluate talent so your comment about my disability to spot a talented receiver is null and void sir. You cant sit here and say that if he'd been given more playing time in the first two games he'd be leading in receiving, that's basically a discredit to everyone else. Please also keep in mind how the pass rush and secondary of the Bills and Jets also prevented luck from even finding the likes of a Hilton, Johnson or a Fleener what would have made it any different for Dorsett?

Ill wait.....

damn bruh you must be blind dorsett was the most called name in preseason even when he got time with the 1s and 2s quite frankly he was the only one who could even catch those crappy balls from MH..watch the games over

Absolutely. We should be throwing it to him 5 yards and letting him turn it into 15. Reverses from him can get 10 yards and a 1st down easy. With Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett, we should be focusing on having a deadly short to medium pass game with potential for big yards every play like the Patriots. We have the receivers to do it, it's our strength and we aren't doing it.

we can do that with fleener Allen Hilton moncrief or dorsett they all have breakaway speed yet this playcalling lol..

I saw examples of TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett making big time plays in traffic.  The way teams are playing us, they rush Luck and force the ball out while going man coverage on the wideouts with safety help, there are no open in stride deep passes anymore.  Not until we can negate the blitz and run more often (more Gore!).  Those 3 are going to be dynamic together, but TY is (much more) evolved while the others are still learning.  Have to make sure they are put in situations to succeed while they are grasping the finer points of being a receiver in the NFL.

I, personally, think Dorsett is more polished than TY and way more polished than Moncrief when they came out of college. We have the luxury of having TY, AJ, and Moncrief, so you are right -- no need to rush him into anything. Let him keep building his confidence and developing.

Dorsett is a burner, Andre is not. Andre had a nice 37 yard catch which was negated by Thornton yesterday.

I don't think Andre has been a liability, I think he just isn't being used properly. He is still big and there have been plenty of times where he is getting himself open underneath and Luck either isn't checking down to him or he is not making good passes to him.

For this offense to become as effective as it has potential to become -- we need to start utilizing players towards what they are good for/good at. Andre, at this point in his career, is no longer a deep threat, he is not a burner, but he is still big-bodied and he still gets open. The thing with Johnson is, he is getting open on shorter routes and he isn't getting checked down to.

Moving forward, I really hope Pep figures a way to allow this offense to utilize the TEs and Andre as possession WRs, which will really benefit our burners.

If you watch the tape, you'll see that there are plenty of plays where Andre gets open and he simply isn't being looked at. Hopefully Luck and Pep notice this on the game film.

I say this slot..Andre needs 50/50 balls tossed up I bet he comes down with them but luck throws these high velocity passes to his fingertips plus he's been open lucks just blind lately

lol I realized the hate now I'm not even responding to his posts anymore

He threw the ball short. Dorsett kept running and Revis just stopped for an easy catch. Dorsett could have made the play if he stopped for the ball.

Luck Threw The Ball Short And Early if you watch the play he was nearly sacked and he launched the ball dorsett never was open nor would he have caught that ball of luck threw it better REVIS WAS AT HIS HIP

And people are glancing over the fact that every good ball AJ has caught has been called back with a penalty flag.  He had a nice long catch and run yesterday and then it gets called back for a penalty.  Same kind of thing happened against the Jets.  It's way too early in the season to write AJ off.  He'll show his worth soon, although I still say the main targets should be T.Y., Moncrief, Dorsett and the Tight ends.  AJ is best used in a similar capacity as to how the Jets used Decker against us.   I'd do more to get him the ball than Luck has been doing.  He's been open but not targeted, man has hands like glue and it will show once he's settled in to the offense.      I still have faith in AJ.

Luck has a lot of mouths to feed and some receivers will get more work as the defense dictates. The penalties have a huge effect as you say. Penalties change the momentum and the game plan. It has been a problem since day one of this season. Penalties also effect the field position and that in itself effects the game plans. I feel like AJ will get better as the season goes along also. I don't really care what receiver has more numbers as long as Luck uses them to win games! :D

I say this slot..Andre needs 50/50 balls tossed up I bet he comes down with them but luck throws these high velocity passes to his fingertips plus he's been open lucks just blind lately

That is one of the problems that Luck has done. Very seldom does just throwing it up end up a good thing. It leads to tips and in turn results in interceptions. AJ is not the receiver who you used to see at this point in his career. He can become a great possession receiver with his knowledge and size. Right now the most important thing is getting Luck better protection and that will lead into more completions.

That is one of the problems that Luck has done. Very seldom does just throwing it up end up a good thing. It leads to tips and in turn results in interceptions. AJ is not the receiver who you used to see at this point in his career. He can become a great possession receiver with his knowledge and size. Right now the most important thing is getting Luck better protection and that will lead into more completions.

no this is what I'm trying to say luck throws high dart passes to Andre but he lobs jump balls to Hilton who you know doesn't really win those type battles ..I think he needs to switch that around and throw lasers downfield while Hilton is in stride or LOB a pass giving Andre to jump up and muscle the ball down..they're gonna misuse Andre just like they did nicks I fear

wrong where are these dropped balls you mention.. The most action he got was against revis where you know damn well he isn't winning that matchup as a rookie when Hilton couldn't in the game himself..talking about consistency you need to bring up luck and his high arched passes

So you are really going to blame the poor passes on luck? Everyone knows the Line is not holding their own. There is no way that Luck can even go through his progressions effectively when he is being harassed every other play, C'mon now lets be serious here.

you can't just pro rata numbers like that in the NFL. I mean for one it's just such a small sample size of plays that even just from a pure statistics point of view it's flawed. 

lol...i really hope this point is made....you CANNOT prorate statistics with the variable of "human" anywhere in the formula lol

Lowery had a pick 6 in the first....

by the logic of prorating numbers from one quarter across the entire game-

how did Lowery NOT end the game with 4 INTs and 28 points?!?!?!

LOL