Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brandon Marshall says Vontae Davis has to get better

Aaron23

I don't know if it's messed up to feel this way, but i'm almost glad we didn't come back and win last second. It really opened a lot of peoples eyes on how talent deficient the colts really are.

That's the point I was making even with Vontae the Colts did a poor job in the backfield, great D front though. Wait till this D faces a real QB though, we will be in for a real treat. In a bad way.

Davis was the only reason it didn't get out of hand, but when he was out ouch!!!! The only thing the D did well was stop Ivory.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he caught a 10 yard ball when vontae played the wrong zone. He also had that hold you're right. But vontae came back and forced the INT.

Yeah hence the backfield is done without Vontae vs a good D at least. That being said the Colts have 3x games straight against divisional opponents. They can make w comeback. I really like the DL also but they can't seem to generate pressure..

Davis has to get better at tackling.  I've seen Davis risk life and limb making tackles but I've seen him go head first into tackles before multiple times.  He needs to use his shoulder. 

hmm..

I've always felt since they've acquired Vontae he is one of the better tackling corners.

hmm..

I've always felt since they've acquired Vontae he is one of the better tackling corners.

Yeah he definitely is, he's just a brutal tackler also. He throws his whole body into them I kind of cringe every time he makes a hard tackle because the Colts can't afford to lose him.

I didn't mean to make it sound like he's a bad tackler because he's definitely not. On the concussion for example though he lead with his face mask right into the player.

And I say we should have traded for Brandon Marshall instead of signing AJ. And I think AJ will be fine this year. Marshall's just better and would have given us that "win at all cost" mentality that we need.

Wait til we have a winning record and are headed to the playoffs and AJ does NOT talk down about other CBs and how they need to get better.

Meanwhile, Marshall will be complaining about the Jets losing season, and how it's someone elses' fault and not his that they miss the playoffs.

What's sad is that Revis was a FA, and so was Skrine, and so was Marshall. The Jets in just a few moves went from being one of the worst teams to a team with a huge upgrade in talent. 

Meanwhile....Grigson addressed the weakest part of the Colts team, the O-line with Herremans, and the pass rush with Cole. Job well done.

Marshall was traded.

But I wanted Skrine. We kept Butler instead. Skrine probably got a little too much money, but it looks good right now.

I don't know if it's messed up to feel this way, but i'm almost glad we didn't come back and win last second. It really opened a lot of peoples eyes on how talent deficient the colts really are.

I felt the same way. It's not that I was rooting for us to lose but I think the loss served a well needed dose of reality.

Also, Davis is the best CB in the league, maybe tied with Revis. Marshall acts like he went off on him when he didn't. I think the holding was Vontae "getting in his grill" because they probably genuinely don't like each other from back in their Miami days.

On a side note; Did anyone notice how big Marshall looked on the field compared to our receivers and also in the post game interview on the field?

I like our receivers but really they are small compared to others.

He is 6'4". That's an inch off of Megatron. We do have Carter, who's 6'5", but you don't find ~6'4" receivers on every team.

I felt the same way. It's not that I was rooting for us to lose but I think the loss served a well needed dose of reality.

Also, Davis is the best CB in the league, maybe tied with Revis. Marshall acts like he went off on him when he didn't. I think the holding was Vontae "getting in his grill" because they probably genuinely don't like each other from back in their Miami days.

exactly, people call davis a top ten or top five cornerback, but he has to be top 2. i really don't see anyone even close to him, maybe people aren't watching davis like we do.

Davis is a great corner, he's top 3. But his style, as Peyton said last year, is as a slingshot corner sometimes. He uses his physicality to grab a little and use that leverage to get into good position and disrupt the ball.  

As long as he doesn't get flagged for it I'm fine with it though. After all, Sherman gets away with assault and battery on every play because that's just his style and it doesn't get flagged.

Yeah hence the backfield is done without Vontae vs a good D at least. That being said the Colts have 3x games straight against divisional opponents. They can make w comeback. I really like the DL also but they can't seem to generate pressure..

the Line is creating the ONLY pressure our linebackers aren't flowing to the ball carrie.. ilb are standing still during running plays and the olbs aren't holding up they're both setting the edge ....the Rush olb isn't gettin the pressure..Henry Anderson Langford and parry are doing all the work literally

He is 6'4". That's an inch off of Megatron. We do have Carter, who's 6'5", but you don't find ~6'4" receivers on every team.

luck is 6'4 too and i've seen him in a post game interview and he didn't look that tall. But also marshall is a lot skinnier (even lost weight this offseason) so it's kind of like an illusion, when you're lanky you just look taller? idk

I think it's kind of Cheap for Marshall to make a comment like that after Vontae goes out with a concussion.  Marshall didn't do anything against him.  Yes Decker scored, but he just kind of snuck across the middle to get open and it was down near the goal line at that.  Anybody can get beat down there.  It wasn't like Decker beat him on a fade or something.  My biggest disapointment with Vontae in that game was the penalties.

What's sad is that Revis was a FA, and so was Skrine, and so was Marshall. The Jets in just a few moves went from being one of the worst teams to a team with a huge upgrade in talent. 

Meanwhile....Grigson addressed the weakest part of the Colts team, the O-line with Herremans, and the pass rush with Cole. Job well done.

I wish we would have picked up Buster Skrine.

Vonta gave up what like 3 or 4 catches for like 50 something yards and NO TD and an forced turnover while defending Marshall. How does he needs to get better???? I think Marshall was off his mental meds when he made that comment.

Two penalties (legit, even if cheap), and he did give up the TD, although he was picked in the end zone. Not Vontae's best game, but the comment from Marshall was low brow for sure.