Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm starting to think Luck is overrated

Pacergeek

What's a joke is when people get hate for holding Luck and the colts accountable for their mistakes. People only view the team through their homer glasses, others view reality.

you know what I am so tired of people saying those that don't over react to things are being homers. There is such a thing as being over critical too and just because someone is over critical does not mean they are viewing reality. Did Andrew Luck play a bad game yesterday? Yes. Is it fair to say that? Yes. Now calling him overrated because he played a poor game against one of the leagues best defenses is being over critical in my book.

Andrew Luck has proven in three years he's pretty special and is going to be special for a long time. He's only three years in and is still learning and growing, the fact he is already being mentioned in the group with the top QBs says a lot about the player he's going to be when he finishes developing. No he's not the best QB in the league right now but give it a couple of years and there is a pretty good chance he will be if he keeps developing the way he has been.

You want to see overrated look at RG3, that is an example of a guy who was overrated coming out of college.

I think the orginal posters bigger point is that for months all that has been said on this forum is the GM stinks, the coaching staff stinks, there are no good players but Liuck, and now people are calling Luck over rated. I guess it's just happy accident that they have won 11 games three straight years after being 2-14 and have gone a round deeper into the playoffs every year If all those people stink and the QB is overrated. That's unrealistic. What's more realistic is that some if not all of those people have done their jobs well. I want to be clear saying they have done their job well does not mean they have been perfect. None of them have been perfect, they have all made mistakes. However, expecting perfection isn't a realistic way to view things.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That int on the deep ball that hung up in the air, he was criticized in college for the same thing. Its his mechanics. He should have got the ball out in front of of TY.

To be fair, I'm watching the replay right now on game-pass and I'm 70% sure his arm was actually hit on that pass. I'll be able to tell better when the all-22 comes out, but It looks like the edge defender hit his arm. 

Andrew was NOT a top ten QBR QB last season.

The guy had 4 games against Jax and TN to fluff his #`s.

His intangibles are his strength and he does Love the deep ball.

He is mediocre at what Montana and yes that ___ Brady do to kill you.

I take away his wins against Jax and TN these last 3 years when i look at his record.

7-5!!!

Goodness gracious,   this is getting painful....................................................        :facepalm:

Name

Year Pct TD Int Andrew Luck 1 54.1 23 18   2 60.2 23 9   3 61.7 40 16 Tony Romo 1 65.3 19 13   2 64.4 36 19   3 61.3 26 14 Ben Roethlisberger 1 66.4 17 11   2 62.7 17 9   3 59.7 18 23 Peyton Manning 1 56.7 26 28   2 62.1 26 15   3 62.5 33 15 Aaron Rodgers 1 63.6 28 13   2 64.7 30 7   3 65.7 28 11 Tom Brady 1 63.9 18 12   2 62.1 28 14   3 60.2 23 12

I just made this stat sheet for you all to look at. This is the first three (mostly) full season stats for each QB. Interpret them how you will. I will now stand aside!

Edited by 21isSuperman

I'll tell u what worries me, he's not showing improvement. He still does the same crap.

That int on the deep ball that hung up in the air, he was criticized in college for the same thing. Its his mechanics. He should have got the ball out in front of of TY.

And Im tired of people telling me he's better than Tony Romo. No freakin way.

And whats the point of being athletic if you're just going to sit in the pocket all day? I believe he's more ordinary than he is special. He has serious aem limitations that people ignore. I notice it on the road, outdoors in inclement weather

He's been in the league for 3 years. Just starting his 4th.

No complaints here.

Let's see Romo play behind this line.

Watched a replay of the Brady gm, and I'm gonna blame the offense and Pep Hamilton. I just dont think they come into gms w/ good gameplans. The playcalling is predictable. The short oassing game is nonexistent at times. Brady has all day to throw 5yrd passes that soke wr can run another 10yrds after he catches it.

And why didnt Pep run plays for Fleener? The TEs are not adequately used imo.

Watched a replay of the Brady gm, and I'm gonna blame the offense and Pep Hamilton. I just dont think they come into gms w/ good gameplans. The playcalling is predictable. The short oassing game is nonexistent at times. Brady has all day to throw 5yrd passes that soke wr can run another 10yrds after he catches it.

I read where the Bills knew exactly what the Pats were doing, according to multiple defensive players.  But the release was so quick, they could not get to Brady.

Sometimes, the QB makes an O-Line look good or bad.

In no way is Andrew Luck overrated. What this thread does show is how underwhelming many perceive the rest of the team to let it get to the point of questioning the quarterback.

You know, it's interesting. Where would this franchise be if it wasn't 'lucky' enough to be the worst team in the league the same year a once in a lifetime quarterback is available...twice. The Manning teams had talent, yes, but we all know how many times he covered up the gaping holes and issues that were there. And now just a few years into the Luck era, its clear that the team would not even be sniffing the playoffs if it wasn't for him. These two guys have bailed out the front office and coaching for almost two decades now...and after having the good fortune of having the #1 pick twice and being able to get both of them, you have to wonder when they will start to address some of the issues that have been there since the beginning. 

I read where the Bills knew exactly what the Pats were doing, according to multiple defensive players. But the release was so quick, they could not get to Brady.

Sometimes, the QB makes an O-Line look good or bad.

The release is quick because they run so man short routes w/ picks. I firmly believe what they do is more scheme than qb. The qb is great and that helps, but a lot of qbs would make that system work. Matt Cassell won dbl digit gms.

The release is quick because they run so man short routes w/ picks. I firmly believe what they do is more scheme than qb. The qb is great and that helps, but a lot of qbs would make that system work. Matt Cassell won dbl digit gms.

It also helps that Brady works out of the shotgun 90+% of the time too.

that said, their scheme is one of the best short passing games I've seen.

In no way is Andrew Luck overrated. What this thread does show is how underwhelming many perceive the rest of the team to let it get to the point of questioning the quarterback.

You know, it's interesting. Where would this franchise be if it wasn't 'lucky' enough to be the worst team in the league the same year a once in a lifetime quarterback is available...twice. The Manning teams had talent, yes, but we all know how many times he covered up the gaping holes and issues that were there. And now just a few years into the Luck era, its clear that the team would not even be sniffing the playoffs if it wasn't for him. These two guys have bailed out the front office and coaching for almost two decades now...and after having the good fortune of having the #1 pick twice and being able to get both of them, you have to wonder when they will start to address some of the issues that have been there since the beginning.

It's a 4 win team without Luck.

We saw this team without Manning and it was exactly what I had thought for years.

It also helps that Brady works out of the shotgun 90+% of the time too.

that said, their scheme is one of the best short passing games I've seen.

I think its the best short passing gm I've ever seen. And tgey make everyone cover. Pep gave Buff's LBs free reign to blitz by not using tightends. U cant consistently blitz ne w/ Gronk and the RBs catching passes. Its beautiful to watch.

This thread is very reminiscent of what "sports talk" was like in Boston as Drew Bledsoe got into the middle years of his career. Sides were definitely drawn among the fanbase...his supporters saw a #1 pick with all the talent in the world and some gaudy numbers in his first few years who just didn't have enough weapons or a good enough O-Line. Others saw a guy who just didn't have "it"...whatever that intangible is...and viewed him as a guy who would never be "a winner".

Luck has set passing records in his first 3 seasons regarding most TD's and Yards by anyone in the history of the NFL. He has compiled a 33-15 record during the Regular Season and has already won 3 Playoff games in just 3 seasons and got to a AFCCG. How the heck is he overrated?? His team just beat Peyton's team as well in the Playoffs.

This thread is very reminiscent of what "sports talk" was like in Boston as Drew Bledsoe got into the middle years of his career. Sides were definitely drawn among the fanbase...his supporters saw a #1 pick with all the talent in the world and some gaudy numbers in his first few years who just didn't have enough weapons or a good enough O-Line. Others saw a guy who just didn't have "it"...whatever that intangible is...and viewed him as a guy who would never be "a winner".

I know Bledsoe got you to a SB but Luck is much better. For 1 Luck can run = he is 2 dimensional, Bledsoe was a statue and if he didn't have a Line he couldn't do much. Secondly Luck is much more clutch, he has had several come from behind wins that are just unreal.

We can still "win" our division though. Texans and Jags still blow and the jury is out on the Titans MAYBE looking like a fair team.

We'll get pounded by NE or DEN.

Umm Denver we could compete with.  I believe we have a winning record against them in the Luck era.  2 Wins and 1 loss.  It remains to be seen if we can stand up to NE.  

this is a good point.  andrew luck being over rated is not.  he may not deserve quite as much hype as he gets on espn or nfl.com, but he is good enough to lead the team to a super bowl.

the real problems with the colts are that the defense does not play well away from home, and the oline has not been good enough.  play calling leaves a lot to be desired too, some of that blame belongs with the QB

we do not have enough talent to weather drive killing holding penalties on the road.

Great Post. Without Luck we would stink. I hate to say that but he covers up a lot. We are very lucky to have had Peyton and now Luck. That has made us one of the best franchises over the last 15 seasons and relevant pretty much every season.

Here's a methodology for any armchair pundit.

Take a good young player, or a "cusp" player even. Build a straw man out of how over hyped they are while all the time feeding that hype drawing attention to things such as "people have already put him the HOF". There are no rules regarding factual accuracy.

You end up in no lose, either they fail and you get to go I told you so, else they were expected to succeed so that's the big woop?

Conversely take a lesser talented player, an unknown, but with a good nice back story. Build up how unfairly he gets overlooked, how he'd be great only given the chance. The right team, the right coach etc..

If they fail.. Well big woop he wasn't that rated anyway. If he succeeds you can Lord it over everyone.

Sound familiar? Point being Luck actually probably gets a harsher measuring stick than most yet still has the reputation among those who know, I'm talking people in the actual game here not forum experts, as something special.

Watch him yourself, don't just judge from the end result of a play, listen to those who know about QBs instead of those who shout the loudest and be happy you have Andrew Luck as your QB. It could far far far worse.

I know Bledsoe got you to a SB but Luck is much better. For 1 Luck can run = he is 2 dimensional, Bledsoe was a statue and if he didn't have a Line he couldn't do much. Secondly Luck is much more clutch, he has had several come from behind wins that are just unreal.

I think Luck is better as well. Besides, the jury eventually spoke when it came to Bledsoe. Brady walked in to the job and did more with the same weapons, so that pretty much sealed it. That said, Bledsoe's trajectory in his first 4 years (as I recall) was pretty much straight up. He was on a  HOF track under Parcells. When Carroll and Bobby Grier took over, he became a shell of his former self.

You're right, he is so overrated! 

-  13,200 Yards in just 3 seasons

-  Set NFL rookie passing record

-  Holds NFL record for most passing yards through 3 seasons

-  Holds Colts record for single season passing yards

-  88 Career TD passes (avg. just under 30 per seaosn)

-  12 rushing TD's

-  QBR over 3 seasons of 88 (Favre's career QBR was 85)

And I could go on, but I think I made my point.  He is most certainly NOT overrated!!!

Edited by 21isSuperman

I'm as big a Colt fan as there is but I am of the mind to agree he's a bit overrated. He seems to have the intangibles, arm to be elite. However , the turnover situation, and recognition of blitzes, accuracy are not elite. Rodgers, Brady, they don't turn the ball over like Luck. But it's still early you know.

I'm as big a Colt fan as there is but I am of the mind to agree he's a bit overrated. He seems to have the intangibles, arm to be elite. However , the turnover situation, and recognition of blitzes, accuracy are not elite. Rodgers, Brady, they don't turn the ball over like Luck. But it's still early you know.

Not overrated blitz pick up wasn't his fault and sorry as well.

Peyton Manning would find ways to move the ball. Even if he was backed up in his own territory, he would at least string together a few first downs to shift field positions. Luck can't move the ball unless we are losing by double digits. Very frustrating. I mean, Luck was shut down by a bad BIlls defense last week, and isn't doing much better tonight

He has been bad so far this season. Considering some people call him a top 3 QB, then yes he is overrated. Some even claim that he is 2nd only to Aaron Rodgers. But the truth is that Luck has been average to above average outside the division. He looks better than he is because he gets to play in the putrid AFCS.

People around the internet are laughing him calling him a turnover machine. Last year he has the second most INT and most turnovers overall, and he looks to "improve" on those numbers this season (3 INT and one fumble already). It is embarrassing to watch. And what's even more embarrassing is some Colts fans refusing to admit that Luck is a substantial part of the problem.