Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm starting to think Luck is overrated

Pacergeek

I'll say this again, people seem to ignore me. The first time Pep Hamilton designed an offense and called plays was when he signed to Indy. David Shaw called plays for the most part @ Stanford. I think Roman before that. Pep is inexperienced and it shows.

As for Luck, he has horrible mechanics imo. I dont think he gets enough leg into his throws. And whats with the crouching in the pocket? He's a lil too robotic @ times. Thats why we shouldve got him a veteran offensive coach. Not a college coach.

And I'd bet if he changed his grip on the ball, he'd get a lil more velocity.

I would LOVE to watch Mr. Armchair Perfect Form QB here attempting to give Andrew Luck pointers on his mechanics... lmao...my God what is wrong with people. I'll give you Pep (PIP as I call him) as he is awful. But the REAL culprit of most of our problems is the pressure placed on the offense to score a lot every game due to our terrible defense. Our O-line is pretty awful too. The game is won in the trenches...and Ryan Grigson has done little to nothing to help make either line (O or D) better. He also let a future HOF receiver go and signed the KING of the disabled list at WR. I'm a Boilermaker through and through but Ryan Grigson needs the ole Irsay boot. His moves have hurt this team overall...not how a GM gets in the good graces of ownership. 

tumblr_m9d9nk9sWw1r1nnogo1_400.jpg

Ive tried finding other qbs w/ that grip and I couldn't. Its odd and I wonder if it should be fixed.

Edited by 21isSuperman

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the takeaway from this game-

Pass            Run

19              36      35% pass/run ratio   Bills

49              17      74% pass/run ratio   Colts

Bills 4.1 yds / att

Colts 3.8 yds / att

Turnovers-

Colts 3 (2 INT, 1 fumble)

Bills 0

T.O.P.   Colts 29:04     Bills 30:56

We were tied for 29th (with 7 others) for most interceptions per game.  We were 31st in the league in fumbles lost.  The Colts are not disciplined as a team.  They also make many untimely penalties.  With as many rookies playing, I expect the sloppiness to continue for awhile.  But it is not normal to lose the turnover battle and win games.  We have, but unless that gets 'cleaned up' we will lose more than we hope or expect.  Luck is a turnover machine along with his greatness.  Skip Bayless has no issue pointing it out either.  The Bills D and weather (which I was indeed concerned with) did him in, but the turnovers were still unnecessary.  Luck has to make strides in that area. I understand he studied film all winter on the subject.  Hopefully the turnovers reduce here on out. But the fact the game plan to run seemed to get dumped even though Gore was doing well.

Is Gore coming back from injury?  Why the pitch count?  We need to pound the rock, and give our D a rest while we move down the field.  At least  change the field position if not score.

A. Luck is one of my favorite players but i to believe he is over rated a bit. However he is not the problem with our offense, it first starts with Pep and then our O line. Our offense has been so boring since Pep took over the O. There is never any wrinkles in his play calling and our line rarely gives Luck any room to step up in the pocket. Our receivers dont have time to run their routes or get open bc Luck has to get rid of the ball so fast which is jointly on the line and Pep not drawing up the proper plays. The reason our offense was so over hyped by the media is because we have great talent with the wr's, rb's and qb, but what they didnt account for was Pep and our mediocre O line. With all that being said i do believe we will still be ok and have a winning season. The coaching just needs to get better. I may be in the minority but i really liked what i seen out of our D, paticularly the way the D line, safetys and Vontae played. Weakness there is still the mlb's. It'll be all good though Colts fans, have faith Irsay and Grigson will do whatever they have to to fix our problems, they will be playing alot different by midseson.

Week 1 overreactions are hilarious.

Luck is a great player, and a good QB, but pls look at the rest of the team. 

This was absolutely some of the worst WR play I've seen from Indy in a while. All catching and bracing for hits, not even looking to go upfield for some YAC. A.Johnson looked older and slower than Reggie Wayne ever was. Zero separation, being beat physically (getting jammed and bullied by the press coverage) and was slow to move after catching the ball. There weren't that many contested catches made, and Dorsett (as terrible as he is at fielding punts) was one of the few that were able to beat the coverage. Moncrief was ok, albiet a little inconsistent, and of course TY has a few plays where he just gives up (although that pick was a terrible throw by Luck and he was making plays before he got hurt).

I think we are reaching a bit criticizing Luck's mechanics, his wind up is a little weird, but when he is on he is crazy accurate. I think he just needs to slightly tweak his throwing motion a bit so he can control elevation better. It did wonders for Brady and Aaron Rodgers. The guy saying his mechanics are trash is a joke. Philip Rivers is one of the most accurate passes in the league, and is throwing motion is uglier than Texas cockroach. It works for some guys.

Hoping TY can comeback strong, but this gives Luck time to gel with some other guys. The offense did get on a bit of a roll when he wasn't staring down TY every play.

Just my 2 cents for what their worth (not much I've heard lol)..

I think Luck is a legit top 5 QB and I wouldn't trade him for anyone myself. I also think a lot of today was the Oline getting whipped early on and the WRs not getting any separation against man to man. But he still makes at least 2-3 throws a game that are just incredibly stupid and I pretty much know he is going to turn it over a few times in big games. I think the positives far outweigh the negatives with him but he still needs to get better at taking what the defense gives him.

Having said that that he's the least of this team's problems.

I have noticed that his throwing motion is different than other QBs.  He seems to lead with his elbow too much in his forward motion, causing the ball to sail (and inhibits maximum velocity too)

Its the classic problem with a baseball pitcher being consistently high and outside, they get their elbow under the ball too much before the forearm comes forward before the release. 

Most of Luck's accuracy issues are with the pass being too high...not too low.

I've noticed that his passes tend to be high quite often too. It was that way with him in college too.

Maybe it's the fault of the coaches, but I was expecting much more out of our offense in Luck's fourth season. Slow starts almost every game. Rarely to we jump out to big leads early. When Peyton Manning was here, there was no * around offensively. Offense had a business like approach, and got things done, even with garbage defenses. Luck's offenses seem too sloppy at times and disorganized. Luck is outstanding at making plays when things break down, but Manning just seemed to have a better control of the offense. I think part of this is the personal around Luck. He has bad offensive lines, and lousy WR's compared to Peyton. With that being said, we shouldn't be making excuses for bad QB play from Andrew Luck

This forum is turning into a joke.

Didn't we bring Pep into the fold because he worked with Luck at Stanford? Surely, Luck was on board with that hiring. So can we really blame coaching?

I remember having the same doubts about Manning up until his fourth or fifth year. Luck is still very young and not yet in his prime. The game will continue to slow down for him. There is quite a high ceiling left for him even though he is remarkably precocious already

Peyton Manning was held without a touchdown today - at home.  OMG Peyton Manning is absolute garbage.  Overrated.  Can't even score a TD at home against the sieve pass defense of the Ravens.

Luck had 2, on the road, against arguably the best defense in the league right now, in the rain. 

/END THREAD

What's a joke is when people get hate for holding Luck and the colts accountable for their mistakes. People only view the team through their homer glasses, others view reality.

It's one game. It's a joke when people on this board flip their wigs over one loss.

Lot of football to be played still.

If we are 0-4 then people have a legit case to lose it.

On to the Jets.

I don't think so, Tim.

It would go a loooooong way for the boy if he wasn't being accosted by the defense at the snap of the ball.

His success despite our blocking is an indicator to te contrary of your point. He's probably a hell of a lot better than we've really been able to see up to this point.

I have noticed that his throwing motion is different than other QBs. He seems to lead with his elbow too much in his forward motion, causing the ball to sail (and inhibits maximum velocity too)

Its the classic problem with a baseball pitcher being consistently high and outside, they get their elbow under the ball too much before the forearm comes forward before the release.

Most of Luck's accuracy issues are with the pass being too high...not too low.

I've said this since day one. A consistent problem with high and behind his receivers. I'm just not as good to identify the cause of the problem. Just that there is one.

Luck is more Favre then Brady or Peyton, He's never going to be as accurate as those two because he takes too many risks. He also holds on the ball far too long. He's a top 10 QB but definitely not better then Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Big Ben, or Rivers.

Whoa there. The others may be debatable to some extent, but in Rivers we are talking about a guy that only has 1 more post season win than Luck does despite starting 8 years earlier. Don't see what he's done to earn the unquestionable pedigree that the others on the list have. He threw more picks, less yards, and less touchdowns than Luck last year. And it's not like Luck just puts up good numbers because the team around him has been so awesome. He's pretty much carried what should've probably been a 6 win team to 11 wins 3 straight seasons.

Also last year Aaron Rodgers but up a 17/42 185 yard, 0 td, 2 int stat line vs the Bills defense. Much worse than even Luck's of yesterday, despite having a better O-line blocking for him. 

Rivers plays in a division with two great defenses and good QB's. Luck has been fortunate to play in the easiest division in football with no competition at QB. Luck is great but he's not better then the players I named. He still throws too many INT's and holds on the ball too long.

Whoa there. The others may be debatable to some extent, but in Rivers we are talking about a guy that only has 1 more post season win than Luck does despite starting 8 years earlier. Don't see what he's done to earn the unquestionable pedigree that the others on the list have. He threw more picks, less yards, and less touchdowns than Luck last year. And it's not like Luck just puts up good numbers because the team around him has been so awesome. He's pretty much carried what should've probably been a 6 win team to 11 wins 3 straight seasons.

Also last year Aaron Rodgers but up a 17/42 185 yard, 0 td, 2 int stat line vs the Bills defense. Much worse than even Luck's of yesterday, despite having a better O-line blocking for him. 

It's not Andrew Luck being overrated, it's play calling, it's O-line, yes AL threw high several times yesterday and had the picks but the pocket collapses were many in number.  One thing that he could learn from Manning is to hold his players (receivers, RB's and linemen) accountable and take a more vocal leadership role......perhaps he already is but in watching him he was passive more-so than I've seen him in the past.....not sure why?

Dating back to Week 14 of last season, the Bills' D has faced Peyton, Rodgers & Luck. Combined stats: 601 yards, 2 TD, 6 INT.

— Field Yates (@FieldYates)

September 13, 2015

How come they can't win a single game against New England aside from when they sit their starters? They have two shots at them every year.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Lets not forget that Andrew is in his fourth season... His fourth. He's already being placed into the same company as Rodgers, Manning, Brady this early in his career. When he's on, he's incredible and I think that makes it easy to forget just how young he is.

There are still growing pains to come. Heck, he's still a few years from really hitting his prime. Pretty impressive. Maybe he's overrated by some because of how good he can be, and the expectations are for him to lead this overall lousy team to multiple rings already.

Yesterday was hard to watch, but hey, he's going to get so much better. We just have to hope by then, his supporting cast is far more superior than it is now.

A. Luck isn't superhuman. He can indeed feel pressure and make human errors. First game of the season, hostile environment, horrible play calling, some WR mistakes, and WAYYYY too many costly penalties. Coming from a person who was extremely disappointed in Andrew's decisions yesterday. But I understand it happens. One of those games where nothing was going right. I sure hope it was a huge learning experience. Next game can't come soon enough.

I'll tell u what worries me, he's not showing improvement. He still does the same crap.

That int on the deep ball that hung up in the air, he was criticized in college for the same thing. Its his mechanics. He should have got the ball out in front of of TY.

And Im tired of people telling me he's better than Tony Romo. No freakin way.

And whats the point of being athletic if you're just going to sit in the pocket all day? I believe he's more ordinary than he is special. He has serious aem limitations that people ignore. I notice it on the road, outdoors in inclement weather

On a related note, does anyone else feel like the offense isn't natural (don't really know how else to word it)? Everything seems so mechanical.

I missed the first half. I'm anxious to disect the dvr this afternoon...Buffalo is a good D but from what I saw we could have executed better

I'll tell u what worries me, he's not showing improvement. He still does the same crap.

That int on the deep ball that hung up in the air, he was criticized in college for the same thing. Its his mechanics. He should have got the ball out in front of of TY.

And Im tired of people telling me he's better than Tony Romo. No freakin way.

And whats the point of being athletic if you're just going to sit in the pocket all day? I believe he's more ordinary than he is special. He has serious aem limitations that people ignore. I notice it on the road, outdoors in inclement weather

Tony is 35. And look no further than Peyton. Can't play forever.

Andrew was NOT a top ten QBR QB last season.
The guy had 4 games against Jax and TN to fluff his #`s.
 His intangibles are his strength and he does Love the deep ball.
 He is mediocre at what Montana and yes that ___ Brady do to kill you.

I take away his wins against Jax and TN these last 3 years when i look at his record.

7-5!!!