Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We need to sign Aldon Smith this offseason!

Hear me out. Aldon Smith is one of the best edge rushers in the NFL and he's only 25 years old! We're lacking superstar playmakers on defense. Aldon could really help our defense guys I'm telling you. He'll probably be suspended most of this year, but somebodies going to get a steel in the offseason, or maybe even midseason and it needs to be us. I know he's got in trouble...A lot, but I mean he can get straightened out. Its not like he's killed anybody or nothing LOL. He's just done some stupid, immature things, and I think after what he's going through now. Getting released, hefty suspension, fines, etc he'll figure some things out and come back a completely different guy. It just takes some people longer to grow up to put it simply. What does everybody think?

I think he is unreliable, unprofessional. I think he has not learned from his decisions, I think he is NOT done getting in trouble. Besides that the NFL has not decided on if he will be suspended or not.....At least 4 teams are interested in him. Combine all those factors and Ill pass

Mods please close this topic

How could you be so closed minded about a thread man? I mean if you aren't for it then cool, but you don't think its even worth discussing? And don't forget Aldon's one of the best edge rushers in the league. Capable of 15 plus sacks every year. A few years ago you would have felt the same about Brandan Marshall.

If we are going to take the chance on the guy cleaning up why wait until the off season sign him  to a 2 yr deal now before everyone is lined up. If he is suspended for the year the contract rolls over to 2016-17

This isn't washed up Ray Rice who beat up a women. Aldon Smith can still play football to the tune of about a sack per game. He is a difference maker and will get another shot somewhere. Maybe this is his rock bottom and he is ready to change. A small market like Indy could help keep him out of trouble. I know there is trouble to be found everywhere but a change of scenery and pace might be a good thing.

I wouldn't be totally against it the first sign of trouble he would be gone and the contract would have to be done up right.

I wont go so far as to say we need to sign him but would it be nice to have some more talent with favorable conditions in regards to the cap situation... yes.

If he succeeds then the problem becomes... how do we keep him? Or do we? I just don't know if these are distractions we need right now or after the season is over.

Regardless... any speculation as to whom the four interested team are? I have no clue.

Colts449 is off his darn rocker with this post. Weren't you the same person predicting Donald Thomas would start? Aldon Smith is an alcoholic, locker room cancer and complete *. No way this guy gets it turned around. The 49ers lost every starter who actually meant something to that defense last season and they still didn't have a problem cutting the guy loose. That should tell you everything you need to know about his issues. If Smith can prove he's a competent human being then maybe someone will give him a chance in a couple of years, but right now that looks about as probable as you coming up with a rational football idea.

Colts449 is off his darn rocker with this post. Weren't you the same person predicting Donald Thomas would start? Aldon Smith is an alcoholic, locker room cancer and complete *. No way this guy gets it turned around. The 49ers lost every starter who actually meant something to that defense last season and they still didn't have a problem cutting the guy loose. That should tell you everything you need to know about his issues. If Smith can prove he's a competent human being then maybe someone will give him a chance in a couple of years, but right now that looks about as probable as you coming up with a rational football idea.

If we had kept Thomas he probably would have started considering what we have at guard.

Now days any time a guy does anything off the field everyone tries to crucify them. I don't get that personally. I mean we're not talking about Aaron Hernandez here. I'm sure Aldon's a good guy.

DUI in 2012.  When you drive under the influence, you're not only putting your life at risk, but also the lives of others.

In 2013, he was charged with three felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon, which were later reduced to misdemeanors.

Also in 2013, another DUI and possession of marijuana

In 2014, he became uncooperative with a TSA agent and possibly suggested he had a bomb

In 2015, he was arrested for a hit and run driving under the influence, and vandalism.

Doesn't really scream "great guy" to me.  He's a bonehead who has put the lives of others at risk on multiple occasions.

1_gif.gif

I know Thomas hasn't played in 2 years man, but he was a very good interior lineman when he was on the field. If we had kept him and he had been healthy I don't see any way he wouldn't have wound up starting over Louis or Herremans. We're in pretty bad shape at the guard position.

I know Thomas hasn't played in 2 years man, but he was a very good interior lineman when he was on the field. If we had kept him and he had been healthy I don't see any way he wouldn't have wound up starting over Louis or Herremans. We're in pretty bad shape at the guard position.

HE WAS NEVER A FULL TIME STARTER IN THE NFL!!! There is no way you have A) watched him on every snap in those games and B) seen enough in those games to determine that he could be a starting caliber player in the NFL. There is a reason he had bounced around the league. There is also a reason no one has signed him.

HE WAS NEVER A FULL TIME STARTER IN THE NFL!!! There is no way you have A) watched him on every snap in those games and B) seen enough in those games to determine that he could be a starting caliber player in the NFL. There is a reason he had bounced around the league. There is also a reason no one has signed him.

Dude I know he wasn't a full time starter. But he's looked a whole lot better in the games he's played than Lance Louis. Hell. In the 2 games he played with us his first year he was probably our best lineman. Donald Thomas is better than a bum like Lance Louis if he's even close to 100%.

Dude I know he wasn't a full time starter. But he's looked a whole lot better in the games he's played than Lance Louis. Hell. In the 2 games he played with us his first year he was probably our best lineman. Donald Thomas is better than a bum like Lance Louis if he's even close to 100%.

He played one full game and a quarter of another. I still don't understand your fascination.