Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Claimed Ty Mcgill From Seahawks

RockThatBlue

Who ever said anything about blind adherence to BPA?

Also last I looked , there is only 1 QB on the field ... per team that is. You would have to be an * to use a 1st round pick on a QB when you have one a young one you're ready to pay +plus 20 mill per year.  

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had 528 snaps with the Colts last year during the regular/post season and if you want to claim he wasn't healthy for the majority of those then before his injury, including preseason last year and this year, he's taken ~180 healthy snaps. That is more than enough to evaluate a player and Art Jones was largely unimpressive to me.

As for the "dainty ankles", I was exaggerating, but I do find getting two bad ankle injuries in different ankles in consecutive years to be a sign of bad ankles (I know, a 300 pounder fell on him). Either way, what I think about his injuries is irrelevant to what I think about his play.

Sorry,  I misstated the Jones situation.   It was 5 and a half quarters before he got hurt.   Not that he only played 5 and a half quarters for the whole season.     My bad.

But, the bigger point is that he was never 100%.    He came back too soon.   Hurt it again.   And continued to play on it.

So,  saying you weren't impressed with his play shouldn't be a surprise.    You never saw the real Art Jones.    Jones has publicly said so.    So has Pagano and Grigson.    And yet you hold it against him.     I get that you're frustrated,  I think we all are.   But certain things are beyond his control.    Stuff happens, and in this case,  really bad stuff has happened.     I don't view it as a guy is susceptible to high ankle sprains or anything like that.   

Also last I looked , there is only 1 QB on the field ... per team that is. You would have to be an * to use a 1st round pick on a QB when you have one a young one you're ready to pay +plus 20 mill per year.  

Does it really take a genius to figure that out? I don't understand why people think they're clever with this 'you wouldn't take a QB' response. 

According to the Seattle writers he has been great and is a solid NT/3-Tech. They had him making Seattle's final 53 and were surprised when he was let go.

Link: http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/9/4/9260247/seahawks-nfl-roster-cuts-2015-53-man-roster-prediction-final?_ga=1.157431165.637501042.1439076556

The video I watched where he shot the gap and drilled the rb in the backfield reminded me of some of the stuff I've seen Aaron Donald do.  I'm not calling him Aaron Donald, but it was similar.

The video I watched where he shot the gap and drilled the rb in the backfield reminded me of some of the stuff I've seen Aaron Donald do.  I'm not calling him Aaron Donald, but it was similar.

The college game? It looked like he was left unblocked, I don't think he beat anyone.

Sorry,  I misstated the Jones situation.   It was 5 and a half quarters before he got hurt.   Not that he only played 5 and a half quarters for the whole season.     My bad.

But, the bigger point is that he was never 100%.    He came back too soon.   Hurt it again.   And continued to play on it.

So,  saying you weren't impressed with his play shouldn't be a surprise.    You never saw the real Art Jones.    Jones has publicly said so.    So has Pagano and Grigson.    And yet you hold it against him.     I get that you're frustrated,  I think we all are.   But certain things are beyond his control.    Stuff happens, and in this case,  really bad stuff has happened.     I don't view it as a guy is susceptible to high ankle sprains or anything like that.   

I know what you were alluding to, that's why I pointed out that Art had played 182 healthy snaps over the last 2 seasons, including preseason. I think that's more than enough to get a reasonable impression of a player.

The college game? It looked like he was left unblocked, I don't think he beat anyone.

I'm speaking about the speed he shot the gap with.  I didn't say he beat anyone, I'm just observing how fast he got into the gap. There's usually a little space there when the guard pulls.  I've noticed with Aaron Donald he shoots the gap so fast sometimes it appears someone blew their blocking assignment.  However Donald is so quick they just weren't able to get to him.  This guy Mcgill appears to have some really good quicks.  Obviously I'd need to see more, but that video gave me a little bit of incite.

I'm speaking about the speed he shot the gap with.  I didn't say he beat anyone, I'm just observing how fast he got into the gap. There's usually a little space there when the guard pulls.  I've noticed with Aaron Donald he shoots the gap so fast sometimes it appears someone blew their blocking assignment.  However Donald is so quick they just weren't able to get to him.  This guy Mcgill appears to have some really good quicks.  Obviously I'd need to see more, but that video gave me a little bit of incite.

Here he is doing pretty much the same thing with the Seabirds (he fast!):

ty_mcgill_vs_broncos_2_zpsz4u3aqqv.gif

Yeah he showed some explosiveness, for sure. Quick off the snap, good pad level, good power, etc. Definitely not a bad looking play. If he can fire off like that with regularity, we might have something.

Not that you were comparing, but Aaron Donald does that even when he is supposed to be blocked. Like you said, he's so quick that he undoes blockers before they even have a chance. He's special. All I can think of is Warren Sapp.

I know what you were alluding to, that's why I pointed out that Art had played 182 healthy snaps over the last 2 seasons, including preseason. I think that's more than enough to get a reasonable impression of a player.

You have to appreciate that of those 182 healthy snaps over the last 2 season,  MOST of those are going to be the pre-season games.    Perhaps more than 100 of them.     I wouldn't judge anyone on less than 100 healthy snaps over 2 years -- even as much as I might want to.......

Of course your mileage may vary....... 

Here he is doing pretty much the same thing with the Seabirds (he fast!):

ty_mcgill_vs_broncos_2_zpsz4u3aqqv.gif

So far I like the guy.  My mind is still kind of wondering how we are going to be playing defensively.

It's clear we'll be playing more 4-3, but I know we won't be scrapping the 3-4 in total.  Zach Kerr can

play a true NT in a 3-4 if needed, but my gut keeps telling me we'll still bring in another true NT as well.

I'm curious to say the least.

Here's one (less flattering) of him getting pushed back but he sticks with it and makes a play on the runner:

ty_mcgill_vs_broncos_1_zpsdgflip9b.gif

It's impressive that he got off and still stopped the play from being a first down.  I say it's impressive because they blew him off the ball in that one for sure. 

That is why I added that video of him shooting the gap at NC State. I know he didn't beat anyone and went unblocked, but he is quick off the ball and is quite fast for a big fella. I have watched him during the Broncos game and the Raiders game and he shown some really good flashes especially in the run game, and when he isn't flashing he normally does his job well and is in good position. I have noticed a couple times that he has lost off the ball and got pushed back, but when losing ground he normally reestablishes his footing fast and holds his ground. He also showed a bit of pass rush ability he had two QB hits during the Broncos game and one during the Raiders game. I am watching their KC game next. All in all in conclusion I think he is going to be a solid depth player for us.

A good article about McGill: http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/08/18/undrafted-rookie-ty-mcgill-making-most-his-opportunity-seahawks

One Seahawk fan says: "McGill was a great pickup for whomever got him. That young man will have a NFL career." I see a whole bunch of other hawks fans that didn't want to see him go. Great pickup.

Another guy says: "If Grigson doesn't get GM of the year for picking up McGill then that award means nothing to me."

That's some high praise for sure.

Here's one (less flattering) of him getting pushed back but he sticks with it and makes a play on the runner:

ty_mcgill_vs_broncos_1_zpsdgflip9b.gif

Less flattering indeed, but there is no doubting the guy has a motor. Even though he got blown off the line it is nice to see him comeback and still be involved in the play.

That is why I added that video of him shooting the gap at NC State. I know he didn't beat anyone and went unblocked, but he is quick off the ball and is quite fast for a big fella. I have watched him during the Broncos game and the Raiders game and he shown some really good flashes especially in the run game, and when he isn't flashing he normally does his job well and is in good position. I have noticed a couple times that he has lost off the ball and got pushed back, but when losing ground he normally reestablishes his footing fast and holds his ground. He also showed a bit of pass rush ability he had two QB hits during the Broncos game and one during the Raiders game. I am watching their KC game next. All in all in conclusion I think he is going to be a solid depth player for us.

I can't wait to see what this thing will look like when Grigs is done tinkering.  It's clear we want some speed out there.

Guys who can penetrate and stop runs in the backfield.  And of course sacks too!

When it comes to rushing the passer that's not a bad 4 man line with Newsome, Parry, Anderson, Mathis. Or Newsome, Anderson, Langford, Mathis.  Or Newsome, Mcgill, Anderson, Mathis.  Or Newsome, Mcgill, Cole, Mathis.  Shoot there's all kind of little mix and match pairs you can make with some of the guys we have to be honest.

Heck we go back to that 4 man front we might even see ole D. Freeney bought back in the door if we get hit with some injuries.  I'm just messing around of course.  Actually I do think he still has some speed left off the edge just as a pure DE.

I can't wait to see what this thing will look like when Grigs is done tinkering.  It's clear we want some speed out there.

Guys who can penetrate and stop runs in the backfield.  And of course sacks too!

When it comes to rushing the passer that's not a bad 4 man line with Newsome, Parry, Anderson, Mathis. Or Newsome, Anderson, Langford, Mathis.  Or Newsome, Mcgill, Anderson, Mathis.  Or Newsome, Mcgill, Cole, Mathis.  Shoot there's all kind of little mix and match pairs you can make with some of the guys we have to be honest.

Heck we go back to that 4 man front we might even see ole D. Freeney bought back in the door if we get hit with some injuries.  I'm just messing around of course.  Actually I do think he still has some speed left off the edge just as a pure DE.

Yeah I am sure Manusky is pretty happy with the players he has to shuffle around in different packages especially his LBs. I am hoping Greg gets very creative this year in disguising his defenses and getting after the QB.

You have to appreciate that of those 182 healthy snaps over the last 2 season,  MOST of those are going to be the pre-season games.    Perhaps more than 100 of them.     I wouldn't judge anyone on less than 100 healthy snaps over 2 years -- even as much as I might want to.......

Of course your mileage may vary....... 

I do realize most of the snaps were preseason, 112 of them to be exact, that's why i specified preseason snaps included. That being said, I am not going to just disregard them because they were preseason snaps, there's no reason to.

You don't have to judge him on less than 100 healthy snaps, he had 182  :thmup: .

I can't wait to see what this thing will look like when Grigs is done tinkering. It's clear we want some speed out there.

Guys who can penetrate and stop runs in the backfield. And of course sacks too!

When it comes to rushing the passer that's not a bad 4 man line with Newsome, Parry, Anderson, Mathis. Or Newsome, Anderson, Langford, Mathis. Or Newsome, Mcgill, Anderson, Mathis. Or Newsome, Mcgill, Cole, Mathis. Shoot there's all kind of little mix and match pairs you can make with some of the guys we have to be honest.

Heck we go back to that 4 man front we might even see ole D. Freeney bought back in the door if we get hit with some injuries. I'm just messing around of course. Actually I do think he still has some speed left off the edge just as a pure DE.

Gonna be young and inexperienced but I'm excited to see what the potential could be. Pretty much a whole new group up front. Let's see what they can do!

Does it really take a genius to figure that out? I don't understand why people think they're clever with this 'you wouldn't take a QB' response. 

Didn't they see that when teams took Hilton out of the game , Wayne nor Nicks couldn't get open ? It's not like this team can enforce their will and just run the ball when needed. 

I'm guessing Varga and Good are sent to the practice squad with these moves. I think we'll keep Price because of Greg Toler's injury and we keep Winston Guy as a special teamer.. but two of these 4 are going to be demoted.

I hope they don't put Varga on the PS. If someone snatches him up then we would

only have Gore and Robinson on the team when Ballard goes down.

To me it's more logical that Mcgill would be the backup behind Anderson.  And Kerr would be the backup behind Parry at the nose. Everything I've seen of Mcgill sugges pentrating 3 technique.  I think he's going to be pretty good, but not sure what he'll provide against Buffalo with him just getting here.  I'm sure they'll sprinkle him in here or there .

Did he always line up at the NT position for the Seahawks? Just wondering because hes listed as a backup to Anderson as a DT on the depth chart and Kerr is listed as the backup NT behind Perry. I wouldve thought him and Kerr's positions wouldve been flopped.

The Seahawks run a 4-3 so not sure if he was the nt or the ut in their system. My guess would be the UT.

That kinda rubs me the wrong way lol. There's only ONE T.Y.

Easy haha I am only counting names here wasn't comparing anything else. I agree there is only 1 T.Y. until he proves he can play. Although I have to say after going back and watching all his preseason games I am very excited for what he brings to the table. The guy flashes all the time on tape. Plus I read up somewhere that even with his size he still runs a 4.9 40 time. That is pretty impressive, and his quickness shows on tape.

Easy haha I am only counting names here wasn't comparing anything else. I agree there is only 1 T.Y. until he proves he can play. Although I have to say after going back and watching all his preseason games I am very excited for what he brings to the table. The guy flashes all the time on tape. Plus I read up somewhere that even with his size he still runs a 4.9 40 time. That is pretty impressive, and his quickness shows on tape.

Like you said I like this young guys so far!  I wonder if he'll do the T.Y. sign when he gets a sack or TFL? haha

Yeah, I thought of Jay Ratliff. In both cases, the 1-gap NT/UT prototype, IMO. Ratliff played NT in Wade Philips' 1-gap, if I remember right and he was less than 310 lbs, if I remember right.

I think that is how Pagano should use him, as a 1-gapper in the middle.

The purpose of the defensive line is to fill holes and open up opportunities for the middle linebackers. These guys we have now are going to get swallowed up and eating alive.

In a 2 gap defense, that is correct.  However, it was very evident in preseason that the Colts look to be running more 1 gap, in which case the DL is more responsible for getting penetration into the backfield, which is the strength of the DL players we have now.

Starters get injured, and a guy we all thought was a starter got cut...that's not bad planning, that is the NFL, and good teams fill the gaps every year after final cuts or with unproven players.

A better question in my mind, is when did the coaches fully commit to what appears to be a significant scheme change?

Is it really that significant of a scheme change though?  The colts already ran a hybrid front and did a lot of 1 gapping as it was.  I think they're just going to be removing the 2 gapping from the playbook...or use it much, much less.

So if the best player available was a quarterback then we should take one even though we have Andrew Luck? Blind adherence to BPA is just as ridiculous as picking only based on need. Common sense factors into the equation as well.

This is the thing that so many people miss...when Grigson and other GMs talk about taking best player available, they're talking about the best player that's on THEIR DRAFT BOARD...NOT the NFLs draft board.  NOT Mel Kiper's Draft board.  NOT Mike Mayock's draft board.  Grigson, most likely, isn't going to have any first round QBs on his draft board.  THAT'S where the common sense comes into play.

Yeah, I thought of Jay Ratliff. In both cases, the 1-gap NT/UT prototype, IMO. Ratliff played NT in Wade Philips' 1-gap, if I remember right and he was less than 310 lbs, if I remember right.

I think that is how Pagano should use him, as a 1-gapper in the middle.

Pretty sure that is how Pagano will use him, as well as Parry.  That's primarily how Parry was used in Preseason.