Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Claimed Ty Mcgill From Seahawks

RockThatBlue

Grigs picks the year when Luck and the offense are Super Bowl caliber to decide that our defensive line needs to be rebuilt basically from scratch.  If he had done a better job evaluating the D line talent and made it more of a priority then they wouldn't be in panic mode right now.  Unbelievable...our D line is comprised of untested rookies with little to no depth behind them.   Colts can't be considered the AFC front runners after this.  Pats still team to beat especially with Brady playing the full 16.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grigs picks the year when Luck and the offense are Super Bowl caliber to decide that our defensive line needs to be rebuilt basically from scratch.  If he had done a better job evaluating the D line talent and made it more of a priority then they wouldn't be in panic mode right now.  Unbelievable...our D line is comprised of untested rookies with little to no depth behind them.   Colts can't be considered the AFC front runners after this.  Pats still team to beat especially with Brady playing the full 16.

The Colts just cut Josh Chapman and Montori Hughes....and you are in panic mode?  If this was your stance prior to cuts, then OK, but let's think about this for a minute....

The Colts just cut Josh Chapman and Montori Hughes....and you are in panic mode?  If this was your stance prior to cuts, then OK, but let's think about this for a minute....

It's more the loss of Art Jones for the year coupled with the forced reliance on unproven rookie talent (that I wasn't too excited about when we drafted them) and resulting depletion of overall depth on the D line.  We neglected this area this offseason and are now paying the price.  Adding another high pick receiver was more important.

It's more the loss of Art Jones for the year coupled with the forced reliance on unproven rookie talent (that I wasn't too excited about when we drafted them) and resulting depletion of overall depth on the D line.  We neglected this area this offseason and are now paying the price.  Adding another high pick receiver was more important.

How is drafting two guys and signing a good experienced free agents at defensive line considered "neglect"?

Starters get injured, and a guy we all thought was a starter got cut...that's not bad planning, that is the NFL, and good teams fill the gaps every year after final cuts or with unproven players.

A better question in my mind, is when did the coaches fully commit to what appears to be a significant scheme change?

I understand that haha, just one of the only videos I could find. I was just trying to get you guys familiar with the player size and agility.

That's OK. Thank you. Somebody posted a video with him hurting the UNC QB after fighting through 2 guys. That one looks better. Of course one or two plays means nothing for overall evaluation. I hope the Colts people have evaluated him correctly and he is better than the guys they let go.

That's OK. Thank you. Somebody posted a video with him hurting the UNC QB after fighting through 2 guys. That one looks better. Of course one or two plays means nothing for overall evaluation. I hope the Colts people have evaluated him correctly and he is better than the guys they let go.

According to the Seattle writers he has been great and is a solid NT/3-Tech. They had him making Seattle's final 53 and were surprised when he was let go.

Link: http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/9/4/9260247/seahawks-nfl-roster-cuts-2015-53-man-roster-prediction-final?_ga=1.157431165.637501042.1439076556

I like our front office and coaches, just things like this are irritating. They give out too many chances. They're like that teacher you had in kindergarten who would always give you warnings. Would only really put you in trouble if you did something drastic

Grigs picks the year when Luck and the offense are Super Bowl caliber to decide that our defensive line needs to be rebuilt basically from scratch.  If he had done a better job evaluating the D line talent and made it more of a priority then   I wouldn't be in panic mode right now.  Unbelievable...our D line is comprised of untested rookies with little to no depth behind them.   Colts can't be considered the AFC front runners after this.  Pats still team to beat especially with Brady playing the full 16.

Fixed that sentence for you.

Don't know anything about him, but we need depth at the defensive line.

Some comments from a Seahawks board:

"I feel King over McGill was one of the weirder decisions of this off-season"

"Really surprised about Obum and Lambert.. McGill not at all." (reaction to the players getting claimed)

"McGill was a great pickup for whomever got him. That young man will have a NFL career."

"But McGill is like the feeling I had when they got rid of Bennett. There is no way that guy is not still playing pro football 3 years from now. At a position where productive guys are hard to find and really hit & miss. So you kind of want to keep the hits."

"McGill ...ouch..figured he made the roster. But the others, still replaceable. I hope the run defense is stout this year."

"I think letting McGill go was a mistake. He flashed crazy skills as a gap-shooting dt."

Grrrrrrr. Don't remind me.

Right now we could have Carter and no Dorsett plus another good D-lineman.

Honestly, I think Jones is addition by subtraction as well. He never impressed me. The best thing about him was he had experience and that is something our defensive line is sorely lacking.

Yes....   he never really impressed you in that 5 and a half quarters he played for the team last year.    You had so much to watch and make a judgement on.     Other than pre-season,  that's all he's played for the Colts.

And then he has those "dainty ankles"....

300 pound guys rolling up on your legs and you write about "dainty ankles"....

Wow.     Such amazing nonsense.

It's more the loss of Art Jones for the year coupled with the forced reliance on unproven rookie talent (that I wasn't too excited about when we drafted them) and resulting depletion of overall depth on the D line. We neglected this area this offseason and are now paying the price. Adding another high pick receiver was more important.

Okay....first off just how did we "neglect" the defensive line this off season? We picked up Langford in FA, went hard after multiple other D linemen but they chose to go elsewhere. That's not our staffs fault. Then we drafted Anderson and Parry in the draft. Yet we neglected our defensive line.... nonsense!!! Art Jones got hurt... it's stinks... but it happens. Time for young guys to step up.

And your last sentence is completely off base as well. We drafted Dorsett because he was the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE!!!! NOT because it was more important. And remember we draft by BPA... NOT according to needs!!! Grigson and his staff have made this known. Dorsett was the best player overall to our staff when our pick came. So we took him, plain and simple. I don't know how long it's gonna take people to get ahold of this concept. If you go into drafts thinking and expecting us to draft according to our needs, you are are gonna suffer much dissappointment.

Quotes from the Seahawks board on McGill

"I think letting McGill go was a mistake. He flashed crazy skills as a gap-shooting dt"

"Add me to the group baffled by leaving McGill available"

"I feel the same about McGill. He was showing up and making plays. He's quick, powerful, plays lower and stronger at POA than Rubin IMO"

" All McGill did was show up and be a force every day."

"I fully expect to see McGill come back in a few years on a high paying FA contract a La Michael Bennett"

The fans there think the guys is a stud......... Lets not make him the next all pro.... but ......things look good!!

Quotes from the Seahawks board on McGill

"I think letting McGill go was a mistake. He flashed crazy skills as a gap-shooting dt"

"Add me to the group baffled by leaving McGill available"

"I feel the same about McGill. He was showing up and making plays. He's quick, powerful, plays lower and stronger at POA than Rubin IMO"

" All McGill did was show up and be a force every day."

"I fully expect to see McGill come back in a few years on a high paying FA contract a La Michael Bennett"

The fans there think the guys is a stud......... Lets not make him the next all pro.... but ......things look good!!

They seem to like him.

How is drafting two guys and signing a good experienced free agents at defensive line considered "neglect"?

I felt at the time that the higher round draft picks should have been allocated to addressing the D line as opposed to taking another receiver so high. It was borderline negligent to me take a receiver that high given that our Achilles heel has been stopping the run. Anderson and Parry may pan out but we could have added higher rated talent to the line in my opinion. We could have gotten a receiver later on if we felt the need to add another. As it stands we have a very fast 3 or 4 receiver and two hopefully average D linemen.

We signed a complimentary veteran to the D line and not the impact player many were hoping for. This offseason could have gone better as far as addressing our defensive line was concerned. That's how I see it.

It's not like Varga is Adrian Peterson. Vick Ballard is a better running back than he is. Neither of them will get major time (hopefully), if Ballard gets hurt again, release him and bring back Varga. It's not that hard.

I think it's premature to make sweeping generalizations about either back (Varga, Ballard). Ballard had ONE solid season. And Varga, who knows? He could turn out to be a great back if given the chance.

Okay....first off just how did we "neglect" the defensive line this off season? We picked up Langford in FA, went hard after multiple other D linemen but they chose to go elsewhere. That's not our staffs fault. Then we drafted Anderson and Parry in the draft. Yet we neglected our defensive line.... nonsense!!! Art Jones got hurt... it's stinks... but it happens. Time for young guys to step up.

And your last sentence is completely off base as well. We drafted Dorsett because he was the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE!!!! NOT because it was more important. And remember we draft by BPA... NOT according to needs!!! Grigson and his staff have made this known. Dorsett was the best player overall to our staff when our pick came. So we took him, plain and simple. I don't know how long it's gonna take people to get ahold of this concept. If you go into drafts thinking and expecting us to draft according to our needs, you are are gonna suffer much dissappointment.

So if the best player available was a quarterback then we should take one even though we have Andrew Luck? Blind adherence to BPA is just as ridiculous as picking only based on need. Common sense factors into the equation as well.

I felt at the time that the higher round draft picks should have been allocated to addressing the D line as opposed to taking another receiver so high. It was borderline negligent to me take a receiver that high given that our Achilles heel has been stopping the run. 

I think the Dorsett pick was not about adding another receiver but adding a player (regardless of position) that the Colts believe will be a special player. They are simply that much higher on Dorsett than the defensive lineman available when they picked. (Brown, Goldman, etc)

I felt at the time that the higher round draft picks should have been allocated to addressing the D line as opposed to taking another receiver so high. It was borderline negligent to me take a receiver that high given that our Achilles heel has been stopping the run. Anderson and Parry may pan out but we could have added higher rated talent to the line in my opinion. We could have gotten a receiver later on if we felt the need to add another. As it stands we have a very fast 3 or 4 receiver and two hopefully average D linemen.

We signed a complimentary veteran to the D line and not the impact player many were hoping for. This offseason could have gone better as far as addressing our defensive line was concerned. That's how I see it.

Yeah, that's not borderline neglect at all. That's just you not getting your way. If you had it your way we would have drafted Brown, who Henry Anderson has way out performed this far, and doesn't fit 3-4 very well.

As for not signing an "impact" player in the offseason, well, we signed Art Jones last offseason. How did that go? Hell, Langford already looks better than Jones ever has as a Colt.

Yeah, that's not borderline neglect at all. That's just you not getting your way. If you had it your way we would have drafted Brown, who Henry Anderson has way out performed, and doesn't fit 3-4 very well.

As for not signing an "impact" player in the offseason, well, we signed Art Jones last offseason, how did that go? Hell, Langford already looks better than Jones ever has as a Colt.

Now now, you're not supposed to make sense on this forum ;)

So if the best player available was a quarterback then we should take one even though we have Andrew Luck? Blind adherence to BPA is just as ridiculous as picking only based on need. Common sense factors into the equation as well.

Who ever said anything about blind adherence to BPA?

Yes.... he never really impressed you in that 5 and a half quarters he played for the team last year. You had so much to watch and make a judgement on. Other than pre-season, that's all he's played for the Colts.

And then he has those "dainty ankles"....

300 pound guys rolling up on your legs and you write about "dainty ankles"....

Wow. Such amazing nonsense.

He had 528 snaps with the Colts last year during the regular/post season and if you want to claim he wasn't healthy for the majority of those then before his injury, including preseason last year and this year, he's taken ~180 healthy snaps. That is more than enough to evaluate a player and Art Jones was largely unimpressive to me.

As for the "dainty ankles", I was exaggerating, but I do find getting two bad ankle injuries in different ankles in consecutive years to be a sign of bad ankles (I know, a 300 pounder fell on him). Either way, what I think about his injuries is irrelevant to what I think about his play.

A good article about McGill: http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/08/18/undrafted-rookie-ty-mcgill-making-most-his-opportunity-seahawks

One Seahawk fan says: "McGill was a great pickup for whomever got him. That young man will have a NFL career." I see a whole bunch of other hawks fans that didn't want to see him go. Great pickup.

Another guy says: "If Grigson doesn't get GM of the year for picking up McGill then that award means nothing to me."