Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One Take Away From Preseason So Far, Is Colts Really Want To Run The Ball

RockThatBlue

Yup, our offense would be deadly if we became balanced, or at least close to being balanced.

Luck is going to love checking to the run when he sees that box empty. And when it's full, someone is going to beat single coverage.

The way Robinson has been playing (and I know it's against 2s and 3s), it looks like we'll be deep enough to keep Gore fresh too.

29.5 run average through the first 2 games if you don't count Luck or Bennett scrambles (which usually to get a true idea of the teams ability to run the ball you should not)....They clearly have looked to work on the run game because they have ran the ball into loaded boxes at times and such. I have liked the mindset this preseason. Obviously we will be a pass first team come regular season but we have to work on the run game and get some idea if it can at least be able to get the yards needed and be somewhat effective.

I would not read into it anymore then that

Yup, our offense would be deadly if we became balanced, or at least close to being balanced.

The Colts I think ran the 2nd most plays in the NFL last year.   2nd only to Philly.    If I'm off,  it's not by much.

I think we ran nearly 69 plays per game.    That's a lot.

What I think we've been trying to reach is roughly 30 runs and the rest passes.     If we can get 125 yards or so on 30 runs,  we're in business.    Anything more than that is found gold.

So with roughly 39 passes per game,  Luck is going to complete roughly 25 passes a game.   Lots to spread around to a lot of weapons.

But the key is easing pressure with a successful running game.    It all starts there........

I don't think it's that we are finally running the ball, but more that we have the players to effectively run the ball. Grigson traded for Richardson thinking we would be able to pounds teams up the middle, but that was a flop. We were running it with Bradshaw but he kept getting help(to the surprise of no one) so that didn't work either.

With Gore and Robinson, that should change now.

The Colts I think ran the 2nd most plays in the NFL last year.   2nd only to Philly.    If I'm off,  it's not by much.

I think we ran nearly 69 plays per game.    That's a lot.

What I think we've been trying to reach is roughly 30 runs and the rest passes.     If we can get 125 yards or so on 30 runs,  we're in business.    Anything more than that is found gold.

So with roughly 39 passes per game,  Luck is going to complete roughly 25 passes a game.   Lots to spread around to a lot of weapons.

But the key is easing pressure with a successful running game.    It all starts there........

To get a true idea of the Colts run game last year I think you have to take away Lucks 273 yards rushing and 64 attempts....Which would leave our Backs with 351 attempts last year and a combined 1339 yards rushing(total rushing yards good for 31st in the league)....83 yards a game average by Backs....125 yards average a game rushing would have been good for 9th in the league last year...I don't see us making that kind of jump once defenses start game planning and number 1's are out on defense full time but I hope your right

To get a true idea of the Colts run game last year I think you have to take away Lucks 273 yards rushing and 64 attempts....Which would leave our Backs with 351 attempts last year and a combined 1339 yards rushing(total rushing yards good for 31st in the league)....83 yards a game average by Backs....125 yards average a game rushing would have been good for 9th in the league last year...I don't see us making that kind of jump once defenses start game planning and number 1's are out on defense full time but I hope your right

I'm not sure I see it either,  but if defenses load up to stop our run,  it should make our passing game lethal.

They can pick their poison,  but if we execute our offense the way we should,  our offense should be a juggernaut.

Seriously.

I for one, want to run the ball a lot . . . I wanna punish the defense.

So do I - at the end of the game especially.  It'd be nice to be able to put away teams with the ball in "our" hands. 

First and foremost, I want this offense to sustain long drives, eat up time, and score points (preferably in the way of touchdowns).  Having an effective ground game undoubtedly helps to accomplish these goals.  But so do great screens, high-percentage check downs to RBs, quick slants, etc. 

I do not want to see a situation in which the Colts waste precious series running the ball to absolutely no avail (which is exactly what happened every time Trent Richardson had a carry in 2014).  While establishing a consistent/effective running game is important, let's not forget that we have Andrew Luck and an impressive WR corps.

In sum, I want the offense to do whatever it needs to do to win a particular game.

Last year's Patriots were great at adjusting their offensive game plan.  Brady absolutely aired it out in the 2nd half (367 YDS; 3 TD) of the Ravens playoff game.  New England's rushing total that game?  14 yards.

When the Colts rolled into NE, however, it was back to the ground with Blount. 

We don't have to run the ball a lot.

But we DO have to run the ball effectively.

We have to run well enough to keep defenses honest.

Very true. Also if the Colts can run effectively it will give the defense some more time to rest and regroup. A huge key is ball control without giving up a lead in the first half. It would be sweet for Luck not to have to save the game from week to week. It is fun to watch him work but I would rather see him get a lead and then work at controlling the game.

Granted its preseason but we have pounded the rock a lot these first two games, more so than previous years (or seems like it at least)

Pagano and Pep trying to get that power run game going.

Yeah Gore looked great fast and tough. if he can stay healthy he would be a big reason if we make the super bowl.

And Frank Gore looked good for what little he played yesterday. Makes me really excited for the season to start.

You could tell when he was handed the football that was no Trent Richardson back there!  You knew that was a quality running back we had toting the rock.  We will definitely have a really good running game with him back there.  I have no doubts.

I for one, want to run the ball a lot. I'm tired of endless yrs of "keeping them honest". I wanna punish the defense.

That would be nice, but I'm not sure we have the complementary defense to do it. My fear is we'll attempt to force the run, as we did two years ago, and fall behind by two Tds every week. Also, with Luck and this group of receivers, you need to pick the right spots to pound it. If you try too hard to grind it out, all you'll do is keep teams with lesser QBs - Cassel, Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, etc. - in games. Ideally, get a sizeable lead, the demoralize with the run.

Granted its preseason but we have pounded the rock a lot these first two games, more so than previous years (or seems like it at least)

Pagano and Pep trying to get that power run game going.

They have tried to instill this in the offense the three previous years, but brittle running backs

and the lack of talent of those that were healthy wouldn't allow it. 

A combo of Gore and Robinson just may be what the running game was looking for.

The Colts will not try to pound the running game come regular season. We are, as always a passing team. And that's a good thing, especially since that's where most of our talent lies.

We are trying more run plays in preseason caus our backup qb's suck and we want take a look at our backs more and OL.

Damn. I really need to see this bears game, because our starters didn't average 3 YPC against the Eagles. We sucked at run blocking.

I think Tipton hurt that YPC number with 20 carries for 56 yards in the eagles game. All the other rbs have ran decent behind the line, even I think Varga and Torre looked better than Tipton did.

The run blocking was pretty good in the bears game. Both Gore and Robinson had about 5 YPC.

I'm not sure I agree with the premise.  Against Chicago with Luck in the game the Colts had 6 rushing plays and 11 pass plays (I'm counting Luck TD run as a pass play because it was a pass play.)  That is about one third of the play calls are running plays.

The St Louis game will give us fans a better idea of the offensive strategy for the season.

Damn. I really need to see this bears game, because our starters didn't average 3.0 YPC against the Eagles. We sucked at run blocking. Andrew still got his at Stanford with 3 Tackles and 2 TEs on the field.. We need to run the ball for over 100 yards against the elite defenses. 

Honestly none of our starting runners played against the Eagles.  Gore sat out, Herron didn't even play and Robinson didn't play until the second half.  Plus Moncrief and T.Y. Hilton didn't even play.  I mention them because the WR are going to effect how the defense decides to stack the box.  Only Andre Johnson and Dorsett were there.  I'm betting if we had our full squad out there against the Eagles we would have run well I think.

Honestly none of our starting runners played against the Eagles.  Gore sat out, Herron didn't even play and Robinson didn't play until the second half.  Plus Moncrief and T.Y. Hilton didn't even play.  I mention them because the WR are going to effect how the defense decides to stack the box.  Only Andre Johnson and Dorsett were there.  I'm betting if we had our full squad out there against the Eagles we would have run well I think.

The eagles were also missing 3 starting LBs. I'm not saying which one had more effect on the net rushing effort, but it didn't look like we were getting a push or a crease up front.. I feel like I'm intelligent enough of a football fan to see when a line is doing enough to give more capable backs some gains. I realize Tipton isn't as skilled as Boom or Gore. 

The eagles were also missing 3 starting LBs. I'm not saying which one had more effect on the net rushing effort, but it didn't look like we were getting a push or a crease up front.. I feel like I'm intelligent enough of a football fan to see when a line is doing enough to give more capable backs some gains. I realize Tipton isn't as skilled as Boom or Gore. 

My aim was not to question your intelligence or knowledge of the game.  I was pointing out what I thought may have been part of the issue.

My aim was not to question your intelligence or knowledge of the game.  I was pointing out what I thought may have been part of the issue.

You're right, and I didn't take it that way.. I was kinda prefacing my opinion before you maybe tried to get caustic or real technical on the issue. I didn't need an education on the topic hah. Your context made you sound fairly knowledgeable. 

I for one, want to run the ball a lot. I'm tired of endless yrs of "keeping them honest". I wanna punish the defense.

If our opponent's defense is dazed, confused and demoralized because they "know" they don't know what's coming next, but whatever comes, it is will be successful, THAT is punishment. I think we have the talent on the field to do that. I don't know if the Colts have the confidence or the attitude to make it happen.

The Colts will not try to pound the running game come regular season. We are, as always a passing team. And that's a good thing, especially since that's where most of our talent lies.

We are trying more run plays in preseason caus our backup qb's suck and we want take a look at our backs more and OL.

Lessee ... the "old" Pep Hamilton offense routine was: 1st down, run; 2nd down run; 3rd and long, pass, 4th punt.

If our opponent's defense is dazed, confused and demoralized because they "know" they don't know what's coming next, but whatever comes, it is will be successful, THAT is punishment. I think we have the talent on the field to do that. I don't know if the Colts have the confidence or the attitude to make it happen.

There is nothing worse for a defense, at any level, than getting mauled in the run game.

IMO, the greatest offers ever wasnt the patriots, colts, packers, Rams or 49ers.....it was the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys. They just wore down and punished your from seven. I love that style.