Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hill gets steeper as time is running out for Vick Ballard

TKnight24

The way I see it right now, it should be Gore, Robinson, then Boom. Tipton just doesn't really bring anything to the table IMO, and we're basically at the point where you could say the same for Ballard.

Ballard's circumstances are really unfortunate, he showed a ton of upside his rookie year, I feel for the guy.

"Zurlon Tipton started against the Eagles and finished with 34 yards on 16 carries. Josh Robinson took over in the second half where he rushed for 44 yards and a touchdown on 10 carries."

........ Tipton, that's pretty bad. I would say it's the offensive line fault but Tipton started so he had the starters in there blocking while Robinson had the backups for the most part

"Zurlon Tipton started against the Eagles and finished with 34 yards on 16 carries. Josh Robinson took over in the second half where he rushed for 44 yards and a touchdown on 10 carries."

........ Tipton, that's pretty bad. I would say it's the offensive line fault but Tipton started so he had the starters in there blocking while Robinson had the backups for the most part

And Robinson also had backup defenders. It's a wash.

The way I see it right now, it should be Gore, Robinson, then Boom. Tipton just doesn't really bring anything to the table IMO, and we're basically at the point where you could say the same for Ballard.

Ballard's circumstances are really unfortunate, he showed a ton of upside his rookie year, I feel for the guy.

Yeah, SBS. It's very unfortunate. Judging from Wells' article and the circumstances surrounding Ballard's injury it certainly doesn't look good at all. Hope I'm wrong. The guy has been through so much.

"Zurlon Tipton started against the Eagles and finished with 34 yards on 16 carries. Josh Robinson took over in the second half where he rushed for 44 yards and a touchdown on 10 carries."

Sirloin and Porkchop are the only ones that had starters blocking. The rest were on their own with unpracticed players and QB and obvious no pass threat. Despite that both Varga and Toure had better YPC. Can't compare apples to apples this way. More like apples to watermelons?

FYI, Ballard got most of the reps in practice prep for the Eagles.  For Sirloin to get all the reps the first half with the 1st teamers is absolutely not fair play. What this tells me, coupled with lack of reps in practice is that you had zero intention of giving Varga nd Toure any look even before they ever arrived in Indy.  Common now, throw them in with an unpracticed line and QB? Inside run in to a stacked box? You are 100% expecting failure.  Ha, Ha, Ha .... didn't happen  ... did it? If was a UDFA I would never even consider going somewhere where I will not get a fair shot to compete. Biasedness, unfairness, racism .... I absolutely hate that and any fan that finds this acceptable needs to check their moral make-up. I said this before, and these events that took place back this up, there is no intent here to build the best team possible. Building the best team possible is a fair all out competition for roster spots. Fair playing field and fair evaluation. Then you can say who is better. Having a team of gimmies will not gimme a Super Bowl!

FYI, Ballard got most of the reps in practice prep for the Eagles.  For Sirloin to get all the reps the first half with the 1st teamers is absolutely not fair play. What this tells me, coupled with lack of reps in practice is that you had zero intention of giving Varga nd Toure any look even before they ever arrived in Indy.  Common now, throw them in with an unpracticed line and QB? Inside run in to a stacked box? You are 100% expecting failure.  Ha, Ha, Ha .... didn't happen  ... did it? If was a UDFA I would never even consider going somewhere where I will not get a fair shot to compete. Biasedness, unfairness, racism .... I absolutely hate that and any fan that finds this acceptable needs to check their moral make-up. I said this before, and these events that took place back this up, there is no intent here to build the best team possible. Building the best team possible is a fair all out competition for roster spots. Fair playing field and fair evaluation. Then you can say who is better. Having a team of gimmies will not gimme a Super Bowl!

FIFY

To the bolded, Ballard was probably at 30% participation last week, so he did not get most of the practice reps before the Eagles game. 

For what it's worth,  there's this thing called the PUP list.

Physically Unable to Perform.

That's a possibility for guys like Ballard and Thomas if the front office thinks they might be able to help sometime during the season.

Just because they may not be a go in September, doesn't mean they may not able to help in October or November and beyond.

I'm not predicting this.  only saying it's possible and shouldn't be ruled out.

For what it's worth,  there's this thing called the PUP list.

Physically Unable to Perform.

That's a possibility for guys like Ballard and Thomas if the front office thinks they might be able to help sometime during the season.

Just because they may not be a go in September, doesn't mean they may not able to help in October or November and beyond.

I'm not predicting this.  only saying it's possible and shouldn't be ruled out.

Thomas and Mathis are PUP eligible because they started camp on PUP and haven't practiced with the team. Ballard won't be PUP eligible. 

If Ballard really just has a hamstring, then he'll probably get more and more work over the next week or two and get a chance to do something in one of these games. After yesterday's game, I think he's easily better than Tipton, or at least he was before he got hurt in 2013. He's probably better than Robinson and Herron, too. But he's not worth a roster spot if he can't stay off the trainer's table.

FYI, Ballard got most of the reps in practice prep for the Eagles. For Sirloin to get all the reps the first half with the 1st teamers is absolutely not fair play. What this tells me, coupled with lack of reps in practice is that you had zero intention of giving Varga nd Toure any look even before they ever arrived in Indy. Common now, throw them in with an unpracticed line and QB? Inside run in to a stacked box? You are 100% expecting failure. Ha, Ha, Ha .... didn't happen ... did it? If was a UDFA I would never even consider going somewhere where I will not get a fair shot to compete. Biasedness, unfairness, racism .... I absolutely hate that and any fan that finds this acceptable needs to check their moral make-up. I said this before, and these events that took place back this up, there is no intent here to build the best team possible. Building the best team possible is a fair all out competition for roster spots. Fair playing field and fair evaluation. Then you can say who is better. Having a team of gimmies will not gimme a Super Bowl!

Utter nonsense

I know this is going to cause uproar, but I would prefer Ray Rice with his baggage over Tipton and Ballard. Just my $.02

No stir but I don't understand Why? Ballard and Tipton could both go first cuts and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Ballard is done IMO. I have been saying for months and posting links that show historically no RB's come all the way back from an Achilles.

Did we really need Sunday to know Tipton isn't the future at RB? He did nothing last yr to excite me Sunday was just further evidence he's not a #1 back.

We have Gore. He's getting the lions share of the carries this year.

Rice is not a long term solution. Why would you want a 28 yr old RB who appeared to be declining or at the very least his best years are behind him the last time he was on the field?

He would provide no help on special teams while taking up a roster spot that could be used on fresh legs with potential talent that could contribute on ST's

I don't see where Rice makes any sense for us regardless of how I feel about him as a person. We need to be looking toward the future a 28 year old RB pulling up the end of the depth chart?

Or do you think he comes in and challenges for carries?

I don't see that either. Boom averaged 4.5 a carry last year and proved to be a nice receiving threat. He's 26. JR looked pretty good on Sunday I think we should explore that.

I would love to see Varga and Toure get more time. Then there are cuts. Teams like Philly and Buffalo to name a couple are running back heavy it will be interesting to see what they do

I don't see how Rice makes sense in Indy

Tipton was a good backup with the injuries and issues we had last year 

He is only a 3rd string back at best, I would hope Robinson will get the same amount of carries this week as Tipton got on Sunday

Gore is not young and we need a solid backup and Robinson could be that short yardage back we need 

Tipton was a good backup with the injuries and issues we had last year 

He is only a 3rd string back at best, I would hope Robinson will get the same amount of carries this week as Tipton got on Sunday

Gore is not young and we need a solid backup and Robinson could be that short yardage back we need 

I don't know why Robinson couldn't be an MJD type of every-down back.

I don't know why he couldn't either. He has a really quick step, wiggle and burst. His bottom half is huge. I think he IS what we were looking for in Trent. A bowling ball of butcher knives

If we somehow cut Ballard, I will bet money he goes to the Cardinals. 

i'm interested in this bet.  i dont know if we could hash out the terms though.  we would have to establish a time table for the cards to pick him up by. he might also retire or go on IR.  it doesnt seem likely but he could be traded i guess as well

i'm not sure if he could end up on waiver wire either but that could also mess things up

You must be the new rayted or something.  The plain and simple fact is that all teams prefer their draft picks over anything else.  It's in their best interest to draft well, and keep their drafts picks through the duration of their contract as that reflects on their ability to evaluate talent.  Getting a gem or two as a UDFA certainly helps, but a GM is seldom judged on that.

That being said, Varga and Toure?  They're not expected to make the team.  If they do, it's a gift for the team, or it means we lost higher valued backs prior to the start of the regular season, which is absolutely possible.

Racism?  Unfairness?  We've got black and white players, and many in the multimillion area.  I can only assume the racism you'd be referring to is white against black (Polian/Grigson/Pagano against a black player).  Thing is, the only bias these guys have is for their own ability to evaluate talent.  If they use a 3rd round pick, odds are they're going to keep that player if that player performs equally as well as a UDFA.  It's in their best interest to get that value.

You sir, are misinformed.  There is nothing on this team about gimmies.  I have no idea what you are talking about there.

I don't know why he couldn't either. He has a really quick step, wiggle and burst. His bottom half is huge. I think he IS what we were looking for in Trent. A bowling ball of butcher knives

He's also built way to much like Trent to be wearing 34. Luckily, once he gets the ball in his hands there's no question he's not TR.

Its not that he cant, He could Im sure. The thing is that's not whats asked of our Backs to keep them fresh. I don't think that will even be asked of Gore

Its not that he cant, He could Im sure. The thing is that's not whats asked of our Backs to keep them fresh. I don't think that will even be asked of Gore

I'll say he could be every down.  However, one major difference between Robinson and MJD is speed.  MJD had oodles of it, Robinson on paper is slow.  He may very well be a great back despite that, but he is simply does not have gamebreaking speed that MJD did.

I'll say he could be every down. However, one major difference between Robinson and MJD is speed. MJD had oodles of it, Robinson on paper is slow. He may very well be a great back despite that, but he is simply does not have gamebreaking speed that MJD did.

Robinson ran a 4.6 at his pro day. That's not bad

I'll say he could be every down.  However, one major difference between Robinson and MJD is speed.  MJD had oodles of it, Robinson on paper is slow.  He may very well be a great back despite that, but he is simply does not have gamebreaking speed that MJD did.

Alfred Morris ran a 4.67 and Vick Ballard ran a 4.65 and Morris is doing well, Ballard would likely bedoing well if he could stay healthy. Now with that said I'd love to have a rb that is lightening quick but if we have a Back that can consistently break through tackles like Robinson showed he is capable of sunday we will be alright at RB, Im ultimately more concerned about opening up holes then I am Backs not being able to be lightening quick......Toure despite his 40 time showed he is quick on the field maybe he is a 1-2 punch answer with Robinson in years to come (If Toure makes the PS)

Robinson ran a 4.6 at his pro day. That's not bad

?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/josh-robinson?id=2552591

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/mississippistatesports/2015/03/05/msu-josh-robinson-hopes-improved-40-forces-focus-on-football/24459789/

4.61, 4.65, 4.66. I haven't seen 4.33, and if I did, I wouldn't believe it. Not unless he got a running start. His shuttle was slow, too.

NVM, you got to it... 

Not that it even matters. He has pretty good game speed, and we saw good vision and elusiveness on Sunday. He's good in protection, and he has good hands and natural catching ability in the passing game. He's a complete back, even if he's not a burner.

Alfred Morris ran a 4.67 and Vick Ballard ran a 4.65 and Morris is doing well, Ballard would likely bedoing well if he could stay healthy. Now with that said I'd love to have a rb that is lightening quick but if we have a Back that can consistently break through tackles like Robinson showed he is capable of sunday we will be alright at RB, Im ultimately more concerned about opening up holes then I am Backs not being able to be lightening quick......Toure despite his 40 time showed he is quick on the field maybe he is a 1-2 punch answer with Robinson in years to come (If Toure makes the PS)

The Eagles will likely be getting rid of one of their two backs that hurt us Sunday, and both of them are burners. I wouldn't mind a waiver claim on either of those two, if Ballard doesn't make it. I think, barring injury, Gore, Herron and Robinson are locked in. Kenjon Barner is a good returner, as we know. Using a 4th RB spot on him would be fine by me.

You must be the new rayted or something.  The plain and simple fact is that all teams prefer their draft picks over anything else.  It's in their best interest to draft well, and keep their drafts picks through the duration of their contract as that reflects on their ability to evaluate talent.  Getting a gem or two as a UDFA certainly helps, but a GM is seldom judged on that.

That being said, Varga and Toure?  They're not expected to make the team.  If they do, it's a gift for the team, or it means we lost higher valued backs prior to the start of the regular season, which is absolutely possible.

Racism?  Unfairness?  We've got black and white players, and many in the multimillion area.  I can only assume the racism you'd be referring to is white against black (Polian/Grigson/Pagano against a black player).  Thing is, the only bias these guys have is for their own ability to evaluate talent.  If they use a 3rd round pick, odds are they're going to keep that player if that player performs equally as well as a UDFA.  It's in their best interest to get that value.

You sir, are misinformed.  There is nothing on this team about gimmies.  I have no idea what you are talking about there.

You are not serious with your post? There are 31 teams that will not win the SB this year. Most of these are perennial cellar dwellers. Are you telling me that they have drafted well, evaluated their players well and made good decisions? Plezzzz! So you make a bad decision or two, maybe three and draft some bums (as happens all the time) you just stick with them for the duration of their contract to save face and not admit that you made a mistake? Wow, that is some way of doing things.... but apparently happens all the time?. Tell that one to the Browns!

You can think what you want but open your eyes at this .... from Sunday's game .... Tipton 38 Snaps, Robinson 27 Snaps, Toure 12 Snaps and Varga 4 Snaps. That is exactly how things have gone since day one of camp. Obviously nothing has changed. Is this because Charlie and Pep are so good at evaluating talent that they don't even have to put them on the field, game or practice? Just look at history .... ha.ha ha! What kind of positional competition is this? If you tell me that Tipton played better than Varga and Toure despite having 10x as many reps and playing with the 1's, then I guess I am completely blind. With Toure I am not exactly sure what Pep and Charlies problem is but with Varga it can only be one thing and that is his skin color as that kid can flat out play and has all the physical tools to do it. Is this the way to build the best team .... you tell me. Hate to say it but Karma is a *!

With Toure I am not exactly sure what Pep and Charlies problem is but with Varga it can only be one thing and that is his skin color as that kid can flat out play and has all the physical tools to do it. 

So with Varga, it's obviously racism, but the same issue (in your mind) exists with Toure, and you don't know what it is... but you're SURE it's racism with Varga.

14071944.jpg