Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you sign Reggie Wayne?

Myles

I feel like Reggie literally gave everything he had to playing, and left it all on the field. My guess is he's tired of being sore and hurt all the time, and is ready to move on to the next chapter of his life.

Plus, when you receive the key to the city, and have a Super Bowl ring, what else is there to play for?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically to retire as a player of a team you have to be on their roster.... otherwise your contract just expires and you are no longer playing. You would then be retiring as a FA... I do know what you mean though.

Thanks, I didn't realize that. Not sure what the benefits of retiring a Colts would be. It's the only team he ever played for. Probably the only jersey we'll ever see him in. He'll go into the HOF as a Colts.

Heck yes....in a heartbeat.........

As a wide receiver coach only,

as a player, absolutely not. Sadly, my favorite player needs to just retire, ride off into the sunset knowing he played with 2 of the best QBS in the nfl, and for the same team throughout his career. Not many can say that these days.

I feel like Reggie literally gave everything he had to playing, and left it all on the field. My guess is he's tired of being sore and hurt all the time, and is ready to move on to the next chapter of his life.

Plus, when you receive the key to the city, and have a Super Bowl ring, what else is there to play for?

I agree. I dont think Reggie has the personality or style to coach, but I hope there is a way he can return to the franchise some day. 

We didn't resign him for a reason.  On top of that we have brought in new prospects as well.  Not a chance Reggie would be resigned.  As for him being a WR coach, it sounds great and all, but if he's not playing football, I'm sure he will want to take a break for awhile, to at least spend time with family...

I agree with not signing him. I was really just trying to see how the average Colts fan feels. Seems it is consistent. I do think he could still be productive for a team with a need. Depending if he is healthy of course.

I'm surprised at how many people want him as the WR coach. Great players don't always make great coaches. Granted he seems to have the personality to fit the roll, but I have no idea if he is a good coach.

If you were the Colts GM and Wayne agreed to a 2 year $2 million guaranteed contract offer, would you do it?

It would mean dropping a younger prospect. Probably Carter. It would mean an additional $565,000 in cap space.

I am not quite sure how your math works but regardless, the Colts did not re-sign him for financial reasons.  If it was strictly a pay issue he would still be a Colt.  The team quite correctly went a different direction because of age & injury.  

I think that Reggie would (and probably will) be more productive than Carter next season. Probably Dorsett and maybe even Moncrief, too.

His injuries last season made him a shell of his former self, but I believe him when he says that he still has gas left in the tank.

I still wouldn't sign him, though. He won't be better than any of those receivers in a year or two. Maybe if we hadn't signed AJ it would make sense, but we don't need any more bodies at WR and Reggie's presence would probably hinder the development of the younger guys by taking their snaps... All of the mentoring in the world isn't going to make up for actual game experience.

So no, I wouldn't sign him, even for a cheap deal like the one you mentioned.

I would have kept him and not signed another aging WR in his place.  Seems pointless and Reggie, at WORST, deserved to come to camp and compete and prove he can compete with the others and make the team.  They could have signed him to the Vet minimum without and guaranteed money and cut him if it didn't work out.  Why not at least give him a shot?  It would be obvious if he was healthy and more like himself from 2013 instead of his injury plagued time since the Denver game.  He saved our butts when they couldn't get Garcon to stay and he came back to the Colts as our best veteran player at the time.  And his work with TY Hilton alone justifies giving him a shot.  I just don't get what the harm/danger would be to let him go out playing with his boots on so to speak.  I hope he signs with someone and has a good season and if it is someone we play, I hope he scores 3 TD's on us.  He needs one more year to lock down HOF numbers and I really fear that by us cutting ties one year early, he likely won't make the Hall of Fame which is shameful! I do agree that we have too many receivers now, and unless 2 big names go down, there wouldn't be room for him.  Frankly, we should have kept Reggie and let him mentor Dorsett and Carter and continue with Moncrief.  We didn't need Johnson.   

I would have kept him and not signed another aging WR in his place.  Seems pointless and Reggie, at WORST, deserved to come to camp and compete and prove he can compete with the others and make the team.  They could have signed him to the Vet minimum without and guaranteed money and cut him if it didn't work out.  Why not at least give him a shot?  It would be obvious if he was healthy and more like himself from 2013 instead of his injury plagued time since the Denver game.  He saved our butts when they couldn't get Garcon to stay and he came back to the Colts as our best veteran player at the time.  And his work with TY Hilton alone justifies giving him a shot.  I just don't get what the harm/danger would be to let him go out playing with his boots on so to speak.  I hope he signs with someone and has a good season and if it is someone we play, I hope he scores 3 TD's on us.  He needs one more year to lock down HOF numbers and I really fear that by us cutting ties one year early, he likely won't make the Hall of Fame which is shameful! I do agree that we have too many receivers now, and unless 2 big names go down, there wouldn't be room for him.  Frankly, we should have kept Reggie and let him mentor Dorsett and Carter and continue with Moncrief.  We didn't need Johnson.

You have to be careful not to let loyalty force you to put an inferior team on the field. Johnson is a better WR than Reggie.

The only way I'd sign Reggie in place of one of the young WR's would be if I was confident that this was the year the Colts would strongly compete for the championship. With a questionable line on both sides of the ball and an unproven defense, I don't think it is an obvious Superbowl year.

You have to be careful not to let loyalty force you to put an inferior team on the field. Johnson is a better WR than Reggie.

The only way I'd sign Reggie in place of one of the young WR's would be if I was confident that this was the year the Colts would strongly compete for the championship. With a questionable line on both sides of the ball and an unproven defense, I don't think it is an obvious Superbowl year.

Yeah, but Johnson doesn't block pass rushers or open holes for Gore.  We could easily have started Hilton, Moncrief at 1 & 2 and Dorsett at 3, used Carter in the red zone and Reggie as the backup in case any of them went down along with the other veteran we signed (his name escapes me at the moment).  So even AFTER the signing of Johnson, we still signed that other veteran.  Why not Reggie in that spot?  Now, if Reggie showed in Camp he couldn't cut it, fine.  But why wasn't he given a chance?  For that matter we could have brought in a couple other quality but aging vets to compete as well as there's a lot of them out there at the moment.  To just cast him out with the trash without even letting him prove his ability just seems disloyal to the extreme and a lesson to anyone else who the Colts sell on joining our team.  It would not have led to an inferior team to let him compete for a spot right?  What exactly was the risk? If he failed, it would be a far better way to go out than to just be cut off and taken out with the garbage players we also chose not to keep. 

I wanted him for 1 more season. He was 33 receptions and 236 yards away from surpassing Marvin harrison for receptions and yards.

The team has clearly moved on at this point. We'll probably wind up cutting two or three good/capable receivers before the season starts; Vincent Brown and Griff Whalen both have pro production, and spent plenty of time on active rosters last season. How could we make room for Reggie and actually give him a chance to pass Marvin? If that's on his radar, he'd be better off going somewhere else, I think.

I wanted him to stay for purely sentimental reasons, and those things can be accomplished by making him part of the staff, or even just an honorary team member or something. Realistically, the Reggie Wayne era is over in Indy. 

The team has clearly moved on at this point. We'll probably wind up cutting two or three good/capable receivers before the season starts; Vincent Brown and Griff Whalen both have pro production, and spent plenty of time on active rosters last season. How could we make room for Reggie and actually give him a chance to pass Marvin? If that's on his radar, he'd be better off going somewhere else, I think.

I wanted him to stay for purely sentimental reasons, and those things can be accomplished by making him part of the staff, or even just an honorary team member or something. Realistically, the Reggie Wayne era is over in Indy.

I understand he had a subpar performance last year, but jeez all the leeway we gave trent and others, we could have gotten him cheap and can almost guarantee he can still perform and help.

We're starting to look like the raiders, drafting the fastest guys we can find.

I understand he had a subpar performance last year, but jeez all the leeway we gave trent and others, we could have gotten him cheap and can almost guarantee he can still perform and help.

We're starting to look like the raiders, drafting the fastest guys we can find.

?

Richardson represented a significant investment, and should have been an ascending player. The staff tried and tried and tried, and eventually accepted that he wasn't going to be any good for us, benched him (twice), and finally waived him. At 24 years old, with 46 games under his belt. It wasn't leeway, it was patience in hopes that things would work out.

Reggie is 36, and has suffered some serious injuries in the past two seasons. His effectiveness is clearly diminished. The depth chart has been stocked at the position. Are you saying we should just give him a roster spot because we were patient with Richardson?

Not sure how drafting fast receivers means we're the Raiders...

?

Richardson represented a significant investment, and should have been an ascending player. The staff tried and tried and tried, and eventually accepted that he wasn't going to be any good for us, benched him (twice), and finally waived him. At 24 years old, with 46 games under his belt. It wasn't leeway, it was patience in hopes that things would work out.

Reggie is 36, and has suffered some serious injuries in the past two seasons. His effectiveness is clearly diminished. The depth chart has been stocked at the position. Are you saying we should just give him a roster spot because we were patient with Richardson?

Not sure how drafting fast receivers means we're the Raiders...

I'm not saying you're wrong, not at all. I just still believe he can perform well. Reggie never was a guy to beat you on speed, it was his routes. Even as he is he would still be the best route runner we have.

And the raiders are notorious suckers for speedy guys, regardless of any other negatives. Not saying we are doing that exactly, but we're getting all the fastest guys we can.

I'm not saying you're wrong, not at all. I just still believe he can perform well. Reggie never was a guy to beat you on speed, it was his routes. Even as he is he would still be the best route runner we have.

And the raiders are notorious suckers for speedy guys, regardless of any other negatives. Not saying we are doing that exactly, but we're getting all the fastest guys we can.

I wanted to give Reggie another year. I'm just saying that, with Johnson and Dorsett, there's really no room for him on the roster, much less to put him on the field. 

And I never get the Raiders thing. Fast receivers wasn't their problem. Bad receivers who were fast was their problem, or at least one of them. 

I think Reggie had 0 catches in both the Denver and NE playoff games.  He will go down as one of the all-time greats (not to mention the fact that he is the epitome of a high-character man) but he no longer has the ability to create separation. 

I don't think he'll be signing anywhere.  Thanks again Reggie.  You were a great ambassador for both the Colts and the league.

they are just the one's who openly expressed disdain over the years but mainly after the separation of them from the Colts.

I haven't heard any "disdain" Reggie even releases a great sincere statement after he was released and not signed, and marvin is in the ROH

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard any "disdain" Reggie even releases a great sincere statement after he was released and not signed, and marvin is in the ROH

he wanted to remain and retire a Colt, snapping him off the roster suddenly, bringing in DRE and a host of other WRs creates this, that doesn't mean he wears it.  he bears with it - he's a true professional.

he wanted to remain and retire a Colt, snapping him off the roster suddenly, bringing in DRE and a host of other WRs creates this, that doesn't mean he wears it.  he bears with it - he's a true professional.

Reggie helped sell Johnson, one of his friends, on the Colts.  As did Edge.  If they hate the Colts they sure aren't showing it at all which leads me to believe me they don't really hate the Colts.

I would have kept him and not signed another aging WR in his place.  Seems pointless and Reggie, at WORST, deserved to come to camp and compete and prove he can compete with the others and make the team.  They could have signed him to the Vet minimum without and guaranteed money and cut him if it didn't work out.

You're assuming Reggie would have been willing to sign a vet minimum contract with no guaranteed money.  Also, really think about this...which is worse?  Having your team not offer you a new contract and hold a going away press conference for you....or offering you the absolute worst possible contract you could possibly be offered, you begrudgingly sign it because no other team offered you more, and then you wind up one of a thousand players that gets cut during preseason?  Personally I'd prefer the former but that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

Reggie helped sell Johnson, one of his friends, on the Colts.  As did Edge.  If they hate the Colts they sure aren't showing it at all which leads me to believe me they don't really hate the Colts.

Thats a very good point. hate is too strong a word.

I saw a long heated conversation online about a corporation who had cut loose several productive but older employees in exchange for younger ones who as it turned out all had to be fired and replace, in one case by two people just to do what the original older person was doing.  And since it was a high profile corporation and not an NFL team, people just blistered them with every venomous comment you could make.  In essence, it's the same argument as here.  Big corporation uses the most productive years from a worker who still wants to (and is performing well enough) to continue but gets tossed out for youth.  Switch the name NFL Team for WalMart or Comcast or McDonalds and you get such a different reaction to essentially the same scenario.  In corporate America, most of us learn early on that people are not valued as individuals, but simply as minions to be tossed out with yesterday's leftovers.  So I guess why would we think the NFL would be any better than any other faceless corporation, except ours has many faces we see about town (I had dinner last month sitting at the table next to Irsay and his daughters and he was very nice).  Life isn't fair nor should fairness be expected.  Simple as that in the end. 

he wanted to remain and retire a Colt, snapping him off the roster suddenly, bringing in DRE and a host of other WRs creates this, that doesn't mean he wears it. he bears with it - he's a true professional.

Can I get a link where he has expressed any disdain for the colts organization