Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign ex. CFL OG Ben Heenan

MTC

Per Colts.com

The Indianapolis Colts today agreed to terms with guard Ben Heenan.

Heenan, 6-4, 316 pounds, played the last three seasons (2012-14) with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League (CFL) after being selected by the team with the first overall pick of the 2012 CFL Draft. He competed in 52 career games on the offensive line, starting 49 contests. In 2014, Heenan started all 21 games for the Roughriders for the first time in his career. In 2013, he started 16 games at right guard and right tackle and helped the Roughriders win their fourth Grey Cup in franchise history. As a rookie in 2012, Heenan saw action in a total of 15 games and started 12.

Collegiately, Heenan played four seasons (2008-2011) at the University of Saskatchewan at both guard and tackle and helped the Huskies to three Canada West regular season titles and four playoff appearances. The team led the conference in points scored and total offense on two occasions. Heenan was one of only three Canadian players selected to play in the East-West Shrine Game following his senior season. He was also named Second Team All-Canadian and was a Canada West All-Star in 2011. Heenan earned First Team All-Canadian and Canada West All-Star honors in 2010, while playing in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport East-West Bowl. In his first year with the Huskies in 2008, he started all nine games and was named Canada West Rookie of the Year.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good or bad? Or too early to tell?

Too early to tell. They play a different game, it will be interesting to see how he picks up ours.

No doubt there is some talent in Canada, but they're long shots.

Hey, we once had an Arena league (2?) guy start at G for us in the SB, right? Never know.

I cant say if I like this or not because I have no idea who he is. I was hoping we'd sign that real good corner from the CFL who signed with the saints. At the very least though Heenan should be somebody to compete in camp. We'll still bring in a FA O Lineman too BTW, so I hope people don't get freaked out by this.

It's good to know Grigson realizes that you can get draftable talent from other avenues rather than, obviously, the draft. I'm excited to see how this roster will shake out.

He played in the CFL for a year, and spent another year in the CFL as a scout. He's always going to be active in recruiting CFL guys.

Grigson is stealing all of these CFL stars.

That's what really impresses me.  Guys like Muamba, Freeman, Carter, and Heenan had other offers, but they've all decided to come play for the Colts.  It seems like Indy is the free agent hot spot, especially for CFL guys.  If only we could have gotten Cam Wake haha

Wonder if he's related to "Bobby The Brain Heenan" Remember the guy from WWF back in the day? LOL. Its probably his son or something lmao.

I remember Heenan before he was known as the brain. He was called pretty boy Bobby Heenan. He wrestled out of Chicago and right here in Indianapolis. He had a falling out with Dick the Bruiser over money from the first match at Market Square Arena. He managed some of the better known wrestlers such as Blackjack Lanza, Blackjack Mulligan, King Kong Bundy, Andre the Giant, Rick Rude, Rick Flair, Lex Lugar and Baron Von Raschke just to name a few.

I remember Heenan before he was known as the brain. He was called pretty boy Bobby Heenan. He wrestled out of Chicago and right here in Indianapolis. He had a falling out with Dick the Bruiser over money from the first match at Market Square Arena. He managed some of the better known wrestlers such as Blackjack Lanza, Blackjack Mulligan, King Kong Bundy, Andre the Giant, Rick Rude, Rick Flair, Lex Lugar and Baron Von Raschke just to name a few.

My favorite manager/ring announcer of all time

Too early to tell. They play a different game, it will be interesting to see how he picks up ours.

No doubt there is some talent in Canada, but they're long shots.

Hey, we once had an Arena league (2?) guy start at G for us in the SB, right? Never know.

Kurt Warner played in the Arena football league. Just saying.

Good to see he's trying to address it. I just hope it works this go around. In my opinion, that's what's truly holding this team back, we need an O line. Man if luck had Dallass oline ot even New Englands.....well I think it's plausible to say he'd shatter single season passing records.

Aaron Wilson         @RavensInsider Follow

Russ Lande on Ben Heenan: 'When it comes to size, strength, ability to play at next level as a guard, I think he can make the transition.'

Aaron Wilson         @RavensInsider Follow

Russ Lande on Ben Heenan: 'Real tough, very powerful excellent technique can bend his knees well, won't play tackle in NFL.'