Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fire Grigson?

a06cc

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cant be serious? He took a 2-14 team that was in cap space hell and made a winner out of them. Good enough to make the AFC championship game in 3 seasons. That's with 2 offensive coordinators. A rookie QB. And 49 new players out of 53 on the active roster. He won GM of the year his first year. Have you ever heard the term " Rome wasn't built in a day?  Yes he has missed on a couple of moves but the good ones way outweigh the bad.

In defense of Grigson, our biggest mistake to date is TRich. I always felt this move was driven by Irsay's influence.

Werner on the other hand absolutely faded, but he sill has value. I think he'll need to gain 25 lbs and move to DE, where his strength will be more relevant. His speed and agility is lost at OLB.

I agree with 50/50 on him, made some good moves with Davis, and some good players drafted, but also whiffed terribly on others.  He needs to redeem himself this season, and try to get this o-line and defense heading in the right direction.  I do think the o-line is at least starting to show signs of improvement though, granted it still needs improving.  The linebackers and DTs are looking grim, need to fix that.  

My personal opinion is that he was whiff no some of his moves. My opinion is 50/50 on him right now. He has done a terrible job with our Oline and LB'ers.

Freeman is an exellent LB, who was downgraded to garbage by Manusky. No joke. From other thread.

The oline issue is quite frankly the most surprising of it all. It's been pretty shotty from day one and has failed to improve until the last 2 1/2 games. Maybe it's griggs thinking he was an olineman and can evaluate them best so he shuns his scouts opinions or maybe he needs better oline scouts or his oline coach isn't using staff well. We just don't know whaT the issue here is on this or really any area of the team. What is known, this team is a little off kilter from where it should be with the talent it does have. It's not totally devoid of talent, is it used correctly is my question??

The oline issue is quite frankly the most surprising of it all. It's been pretty shotty from day one and has failed to improve until the last 2 1/2 games. Maybe it's griggs thinking he was an olineman and can evaluate them best so he shuns his scouts opinions or maybe he needs better oline scouts or his oline coach isn't using staff well. We just don't know whaT the issue here is on this or really any area of the team. What is known, this team is a little off kilter from where it should be with the talent it does have. It's not totally devoid of talent, is it used correctly is my question??

is they need draft rg , rt in next draft  in 1st  too 3 rd .  better have young o'line  then go Fa guys playing only 1 too 3 years.  he can,t pick any good offense  play being he is one . that would prove he was a bad GM. thinking that why he afraid draft 1 , 2 round offense  linemen.

I don't know what you people want. He's not going to hit on every signing. It's part of the business. There will be swings and MISSES. You people are spoiled and unappreciative. 

5 year old draft in 2012 . still had a home run  very easy draft choices.  base his quality on 2013,2014 and 2015  draft picks. give a gm min. 5 years , then the boot.

I think we could have done a little better with the FA so I agree with Dustin there but I don't wanna fire him just yet he has had some real good moves the Vontae 1 was a steal and one of the best moves we could have made but I think this offseason he needs to go after Terrance "pot roast" Knighton :)

I think he's done ok so far, but Grigson needs to knock this next draft into the stratosphere.

we need a MLB like perryman and a S or 2 then like said someone like pot roast to really help the D hell I'd even say Suh cause the way we got man handled this year we need someone with his aditude

because some fans are beyond spoiled here.

yep....we go from 2-14 to AFC Championship Game in 3 years and some people still want everyone fired and half the players cut.  Apparently we need to just blow up the entire team every time we don't win a SB.  That just HAS to be the key to success.

:facepalm:

Well, can someone tell me what a "good" GM's record should be in terms of hits/misses in the draft and free agency?  100%?  75%  50%?  Should it just be the record of the team?  Team progress?

We went from 2-14 and a laughing stock to the AFC championship in three years.  Progress no?

We've had three straight 11-5 marks.  Pretty good team record.

IMO, here's how he's done in the draft/FA:

Good:  Luck, TY, Moncrief, Mewhort, Allen, Fleener, Bradshaw, DQ, Vontae, Redding, Mike Adams, Waldon, Gosder (when healthy).

Bad:  TRich, Landry.

So-so:  Toler, Freeman, Chapman, Hughes, Jones, RJF,

Jury still out:  Newsome, Werner (IMO), Holmes.

I see no reason to fire him.  IMO, it shouldn't even be in the discussion (except for angry fans of course).

I'm torn on this.  I firmly believe that Grigson has potential to be a good GM.  He knows how to find talent and is due for some mistakes due to inexperience.  My issue is that when we have a golden ticket QB like Luck, I think Irsay made a mistake grabbing a rookie GM and HC to go along with him.  Because now they have to grow with our QB and face adversities like the salary cap in a learning curve.  It feels like the plan will limit the true potential of what Luck can become.

On the other hand.  I think he has done a fantastic job at grabbing a lot of talent to win now.  Yes he missed on the Richardson trade, but Davis is more than compensation for that (dude has played out of his mind!).  I don't think he necessarily missed on Werner, as I see Werner being an impact Sam LB with an actual pass rusher on the other side.  The biggest thing that he needs to re-evaluate in my opinion is his Coaching staff.  The O-line often has blocking assignments that make little to no sense, the play calling is very sporadic during a season, and we give up on the run much too fast.  The defense seems to be counter intuitive often (just in this game we had receivers playing 10 yards off, with the opposing QB not throwing anything over 20 yards) and game management and personnel decisions are often questionable at best.  This is all of course in my opinion, but is relative to what I have seen over the past 2 years.

Well, can someone tell me what a "good" GM's record should be in terms of hits/misses in the draft and free agency?  100%?  75%  50%?  Should it just be the record of the team?  Team progress?

We went from 2-14 and a laughing stock to the AFC championship in three years.  Progress no?

Good:  Luck, TY, Moncrief, Mewhort, Allen, Fleener, Bradshaw, DQ, Vontae, Redding, Mike Adams, Waldon, Gosder (when healthy).

I see no reason to fire him.  IMO, it shouldn't even be in the discussion (except for angry fans of course).

I still think Toler should be in the good category. He was injured last year, and played well this year.

I would rearrange your list to this:

Good:  Luck, TY, Moncrief, Mewhort, Allen, Fleener, Bradshaw, Vontae, Redding, Mike Adams, Walden, Toler, RJF, Gosder (when healthy).
So-so:  Freeman, DQ Jackson
Jury still out:  Newsome, Werner, Holmes, Chapman, Jones, Hughes

I don't know what you people want. He's not going to hit on every signing. It's part of the business. There will be swings and MISSES. You people are spoiled and unappreciative. 

I don't believe every pick should be or will be a homerun pick for any team or GM. I don't think Griggs deserves to be fired at this stage either. His first draft was pretty good but he did get to pick at the top of each round and he was able to get the best asset in the NFL since Manning perhaps?? His UDFA picks haven't been too shabby, he has found some gems or at the very least, viable team parts. That trade for TRich is a major blunder for him looking back on it. I wasn't a big fan of that trade at the beginning either but I do understand why he felt the pressure to do so with both the RB's getting hurt and we looked like a contender possibly. The pick of Werner in the first, I think was no worse than several other GM's taking chances with players in the first. SOme GM's have taken way more risk further up the first round ladder than Griggs took in the lower end of the draft. The choice of taking #30 as your SS is another troubling pick up but at the least you could say, he had played some good ball in the past. Would it have been better to pay a bit more for one of the other top safety's in FA that season? Looking back, for sure it would have been.

Its the oline thing for me that really bugs me. We signed Cherilous to a top money  RT contract with injury concerns. Risk vs reward and a big need? Ok, I can sort of give the pass on this one as RT was a big need and Cherilous was a top rated RT even with the concerns. I have more of an issue for whoever and how the decisions were made to play anyone at center in 2013 and again in 2014. We played a guy at center who by most everyone else's eye test was the wrong guy at the position. Then we trade the guy to Baltimore who appeared to be our best of the center players and didn't resign the starter we kept playing (even though he stunk here) all the time sitting the "center of the future" in Homes. Then in 2014, we go out and sign the center who everyone thought should have started last season, who we traded to Baltimore last year, and continued to sit our "center of the future". They finally make a move to Holmes and while he had some issues, he didn't look any worse than the others and our line as a whole played much much better. Who made these calls and is their any consequences coming from someone not playing the best guys on the team seemingly? That oline issue is my largest complaint in how they have handled it. I have zero confidence in the oline coach and in Pagano for making that improved. As the GM, he has to hold someone accountable for the inability to find the best guys and making the scheme fit them. If it is Griggs picking the players, then his micro management would have to end. If he allows his coaching staff to pick and choose which guys are best in their determination, then he has to take someone to the mat. 

I would certainly give Griggs one maybe two more seasons to see what his drafts and FA pickups are but if I am Irsay, I am warning him to be aware of his signings, his spendings and his players fit into the teams scheme and future plans. Cap hell in 3-5 years for his choices are not acceptable.