Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OL won us the game best performance of the season!

AndrewQB1

I think Holmes should be our permanent Center from now on. We have 3 solid Lineman now in Costanzo at LT, Mewhort at LG, and Holmes at C. Now we just need to find two more players in the draft for the right side and we could have a dominant O-Line. That is a subject for the draft section of the Site though.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Holmes should be our permanent Center from now on. We have 3 solid Lineman now in Costanzo at LT, Mewhort at LG, and Holmes at C. Now we just need to find two more players in the draft for the right side and we could have a dominant O-Line. That is a subject for the draft section of the Site though.

I still think Gosder is the answer at right tackle  I think he just had an injury plagued season that really impacted his season.  He was a very god player for us last season when healthy.  I do agree the Colts need to do something at right guard because I don't think the long term answer at right guard is on the roster. 

I certainly hope today's team DOES NOT show up next week. We will NOT win if it does. Drops, turnovers and penalties is not a recipe for beating the Broncos. If the Bengals had any life on offense, we could've lost this game, easily

Sooooo, I guess you think the Broncos are superhuman and don't make mistakes either? The Colts played great, the game plan was solid and the coaching was superb. We are better than Denver, much better!

For me this is the best game Andrew has ever had. His use of the short game was his best ever. Very Promising.

No Rich was Awesome.

Reitz rubbed it in Most of your know it all faces. And Holmes IS our best O-Lineman just as i said he would be.

I wouldn't go as far as to say Holmes is our best lineman, I like him and I think he is solving the center question but Castonzo is our best lineman and has been pretty much since he got here. 

Sooooo, I guess you think the Broncos are superhuman and don't make mistakes either? The Colts played great, the game plan was solid and the coaching was superb. We are better than Denver, much better!

I'll say this much our o-line sure held up a lot better against the Bengals than the Broncos did in their last outing against the Bengals. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say Holmes is our best lineman, I like him and I think he is solving the center question but Castonzo is our best lineman and has been pretty much since he got here.

No Castonzo is not. They even kicked him in as a guard. If you can't stay in your natural position during a game there's a problem.

No Castonzo is not. They even kicked him in as a guard. If you can't stay in your natural position during a game there's a problem.

50242494.jpg

lmao I love Palpatine. I will forever be AC's biggest hater. He isn't bad, but could play a lot better.

lmao I love Palpatine. I will forever be AC's biggest hater. He isn't bad, but could play a lot better.

You might not like him but he's still our best lineman.  We really don't have a right guard, a lot of people want our right tackle out of there and Holmes was not even dressing for games when we were starting an undrafted rookie free agent and frankly I need a bigger sample from him than three starts before I am ready to say he's our answer center let alone our best lineman.  That leaves Mewhort who has had a very good season for a rookie and who I think we have found something in for our starting left guard but he's still not better than Castonzo. 

He has some trouble with speed rushers, He don't have elite foot speed for a LT but he don't get beat really until he goes up against elite speed rushers, Probably a natural fit at RT but he is a solid LT, Even if he wasn't we don't have another O Lineman on the team that can play LT well, He is the least of our concerns on the O Line. He is solid

He has some trouble with speed rushers, He don't have elite foot speed for a LT but he don't get beat really until he goes up against elite speed rushers, Probably a natural fit at RT but he is a solid LT, Even if he wasn't we don't have another O Lineman on the team that can play LT well, He is the least of our concerns on the O Line

Most tackles have problems with speed rushers that's why they get paid really big money on defense.  They are hard to stop. 

Well, he did better as the game wore on and he is very strong, but honestly, Holmes was not very good in one on one match ups.  I watched him on almost every play.  He helps out well and doesn't give ground easily.  I don't recall him being pushed back into Luck (ala Satele and to a lesser extent Harrison and Shipley).  However, his balance and footwork is terrible.  He was on his butt just as much as Satele, especially in the first half, either through straight up whiffs and missing his man, or being thrown down (or aside), again because he seemed off balance.  He has potential, and like I said, he improved as the game went along, but in that first half, well, it was pretty much Satele 2.0.  Hopefully he keeps improving.

We get Collins in the draft to fill that RT spot we might be on to something

Again it was against the most inept D Line at getting to the QB in the league.

I believe we went the entire game without an injury too that's in itself is a miracle

I was pleasantly surprised.

You can say that again MTC. I was like Holy Moly Man Luck actually had time to go through his reads/progressions. Amazing...

Aint it amazing what time for Luck and holes for "decent" RB's can do......???

Preach JD preach!  :worthy: I love your clarification there BTW...Decent indeed...

I'll say this.  That same Cincy defense was all over Peyton giving him pressure for just about the entire game.

Denvers line is supposed to be better than ours, so I'm not taking any credit away from our guys in this one.

Thank you for saying that krunk. INDY's line looked solid today &, as much as I've been complaining about the line, we played darn good against a tough defense with a monster ground game. 

I've gotta praise the OL coaches & players right now. They gave Chewy time to do his damage on the field when necessary. 

Freeman & Redding played out of their skull tonight too. Yeah Baby! It's only a 1st step in the right direction, but a major 1st step. Righteous man. Righteous. Keep it up fellas in all 3 phases. 

Off topic slightly: Boomer Esiason & other Andy Dalton apologists...

Stop making excuses like it wasn't Andy's fault for yet another playoff loss simply because he was without WR AJ Green. Do you think NFL analysts would give Luck a pass if we lost by saying Wayne is not 100% right now? Hades no. And don't even get me started on HC Marvin Lewis's failures in the post season either.

Andy Dalton is not the future in Cincinnati & everybody knows it.  Can he play in this league? Sure, he can...as a backup QB

Well, he did better as the game wore on and he is very strong, but honestly, Holmes was not very good in one on one match ups.  I watched him on almost every play.  He helps out well and doesn't give ground easily.  I don't recall him being pushed back into Luck (ala Satele and to a lesser extent Harrison and Shipley).  However, his balance and footwork is terrible.  He was on his butt just as much as Satele, especially in the first half, either through straight up whiffs and missing his man, or being thrown down (or aside), again because he seemed off balance.  He has potential, and like I said, he improved as the game went along, but in that first half, well, it was pretty much Satele 2.0.  Hopefully he keeps improving.

Made the key block on TD of the game for the Colts, He has high potential, I think he has to continue to get stronger

Look who we played though.

Yeah, they played another professional football team that won 10 games in the regular season. A team whose Dline had a pretty good game against Denver recently and played better against the Steelers Oline than the Colts Dline did.

With that OL think what the Colts could do with two healthy RBs. That was sweet to watch Luck stand and pick a spot to throw instead of doing backward summer salts all day. If TY can be TY against the Broncos and the same OL shows up we just might pull it off next week.

Denver's pass rush is very wonky. Ware and especially Von Miller are very good players no doubt, but they either feast on QB's or are a non factor with no in between.

You never know which will show up any given week...the non existent pass rush or the good one. If they're "on" we might be in trouble....but Luck is used to running for his life anyway.

C'mon with Lance Louis in there and how beat up our OL is you can bet they will be fired up!  This isn't the Cincy DL rushing, they were like 26th in the league so our OL can do work against them I guess, but we definitely will have our hands full

I honestly thought before the game that this would be the best OL combination of the season. Some of my Bengals buddies were giving me nonsense on Saturday about how it was the 11th combo of the year, we're gonna kill Luck, blah blah blah. They didn't believe me when I said that we're gonna push their D-line around.

Needless to say, they're not talking much now.

Holmes played well all game, he is strong enough to handle the one on one battles (which he did very well) and has quick enough feet to quickly move to help the guards and he doesn't do that annoying head bob that both Harrison and Shipley would do, giving away the snap.  AC was his usual  superb self.  Did a great job run blocking and an even better job pass blocking.  Mewhort is showing that he is going to be a long time starter in the NFL.  He's not flashy but he does just about everything well.  LL had a good game, worked well with Holmes and did a good job helping Reitz out a couple of times when it looked like Dunlap had him beat.  Reitz played out of position and it showed but he held his own and went against Cincy's only pass rush threat most of the game and didn't allow a sack.

Yes it was Cincy so no they weren't really tested with a great pass rush or great blitzing team.  But the Colts can't control that, all they can do is beat the guy across from them and most of the time yesterday they did that.  Can't really ask for anything more.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the OL won us the game singlehandedly but they did perform well. Granted, the Bengals don't have a good pass rush but if the OL can keep giving Luck that much time to throw throughout the rest of the playoffs, we will be legitimate contenders. I've got to imagine we're sticking with the same lineup of Costanzo Mewhort Holmes Louis Reitz at Mile High after this game. 

Yep and as stated earlier Gos played very well last season, the fact the team just IR'd him says a lot about his situation this season.        And after seeing Nixon in the Dallas game it is no wonder the team tried to make it through the season with Gos playing hurt.     Goes to show us all how the team feels about our depth at OL.     

It must be addressed full out this off season.   I would not mind Indy bringing in another T and G at least.   Reitz is capable as a backup but it seems he is always hurt.     Gotta get some depth in this area. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say Holmes is our best lineman, I like him and I think he is solving the center question but Castonzo is our best lineman and has been pretty much since he got here. 

Is Grigson happy with Holmes at center? "Yes. I am." Says he looked good yesterday and that he'll only get better, too. #Colts

— Josh Wilson (@JoshWilsonSB)

January 5, 2015

Grigson said that Jonotthan Harrison, as an UDFA, kinda hit a wall and they "shelved" him to continue working with him for next year. #Colts

— Josh Wilson (@JoshWilsonSB)

January 5, 2015