Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we run the ball? Please?

ColtsLegacy

Run the damn ball, Pep! This is two weeks in a row the passing game has been awful for long stretches and even though the run has looked promising, they refuse to stick with it. It's sickening. The light finally came on on the final drive and we drove down the field on run plays alone, taking time off the clock and giving us a comforting lead.

Also, if we're going to throw all day how about some high percentage quick throws. It seems Luck is holding the ball all day on every pass.

It seems like Pep can't do balance. He forced the power run offense early on and we said "throw the damn ball" now he's forcing the pass, well run it, dammit.

We won and I'm happy but if we keep this play up we're likely to get embarrassed come playoff time.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Coltslegacy and I've been saying this all year as well.  Here is an example:  Trich starts the game a run for 2 and a run for 3.  Then at 10:20 left in the first quarter Trich gets a nice 6 yard carry on 1st down making it 2nd and 4.  Luck throws two incomplete passes.  Now if that is not bad enough, TRich does not get another running play until the 11:07 mark of the 2nd quarter then he gets a nice 4 yard gain on 1st down.

I just do not understand the play calling.  Maybe it's not Pep maybe Luck keeps changing the play at the LOS to pad his stats.  I don't know but they need try running the ball more than once or twice a possession.  Look what happened in the 4th quarter when they did.  Boom and Trich ran over the Texans.

I agree Coltslegacy and I've been saying this all year as well. Here is an example: Trich starts the game a run for 2 and a run for 3. Then at 10:20 left in the first quarter Trich gets a nice 6 yard carry on 1st down making it 2nd and 4. Luck throws two incomplete passes. Now if that is not bad enough, TRich does not get another running play until the 11:07 mark of the 2nd quarter then he gets a nice 4 yard gain on 1st down.

I just do not understand the play calling. Maybe it's not Pep maybe Luck keeps changing the play at the LOS to pad his stats. I don't know but they need try running the ball more than once or twice a possession. Look what happened in the 4th quarter when they did. Boom and Trich ran over the Texans.

I said in another thread that the Colts ran the ball 5 times in 30 plays in the first half of the Browns game (2 of the runs being the first 2 plays of the game) and that was about as bad as our passing game has looked in a half this year. That is prior to the 2nd half today in which it seemed we didn't run at all (not sure of the stats), prior to the final drive.

It's a bit of a catch-22 for Pep though, guys. Last year many were criticizing him for not passing enough. Remember our "power running" team mantra that got us nowhere? This year there's people criticizing him for not running enough.

While I do think the ideal mix of run and pass for our team lies somewhere between what Pep called last year and what he's called this year, let's acknowledge at least that the offense has been a lot more prolific this year (although it has come at the price of more turnovers).

If we can improve the O-line to top-5 (heck, maybe even top-10) level our offense could be nearly unstoppable, like the 99 Rams.

It's a bit of a catch-22 for Pep though, guys. Last year many were criticizing him for not passing enough. Remember our "power running" team mantra that got us nowhere? This year there's people criticizing him for not running enough.

While I do think the ideal mix of run and pass for our team lies somewhere between what Pep called last year and what he's called this year, let's acknowledge at least that the offense has been a lot more prolific this year (although it has come at the price of more turnovers).

If we can improve the O-line to top-5 (heck, maybe even top-10) level our offense could be nearly unstoppable, like the 99 Rams.

It is a bit of a catch-22, but with a major caveat. Last year, we didn't have the O-line for the power run game that Pep tried so hard to install. We ran T-Rich into the backs of our linemen over and over again, on nearly every run. This year, we have a better running game plan and our run game has actually been good, but very underutilized. 

To be reasonable, I understand that with Luck we will always be a pass-first team. I just ask that the disparity between the pass and the run isn't as big a it currently is. I also ask that we run in certain reasonable situations, like 2nd down and 4 or 3rd down and 2. We have passed out of these situations too often and it's led to numerous 3-and-outs, incompletions, and unnecessary hits on Luck.

It is a bit of a catch-22, but with a major caveat. Last year, we didn't have the O-line for the power run game that Pep tried so hard to install. We ran T-Rich into the backs of our linemen over and over again, on nearly every run. This year, we have a better running game plan and our run game has actually been good, but very underutilized. 

To be reasonable, I understand that with Luck we will always be a run-first team. I just ask that the disparity between the pass and the run isn't as big a it currently is. I also ask that we run in certain reasonable situations, like 2nd down and 4 or 3rd down and 2. We have passed out of these situations too often and it's led to numerous 3-and-outs, incompletions, and unnecessary hits on Luck.

Yeah certainly with the additions of Mewhort and Harrison (or Shipley, anyone we have a C is better than Satele was) we are better up the middle. And I think more play action is needed just as badly as more running is. The 2 compliment each other well.

The last BIG drive ...  Boom starts it and takes this team .. all the way into Texan land...     way deep and then...  some genius decides to put Trent in to finish it off.     He had ONE really great run.    STRAIGHT up the gut untouched for 5 yards.      Then...

Skreeeeetchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............      

Sigh...         this staff just will not accept the fact that Trent is at best a 3rd string RB.     Oh well..  

Run the damn ball, Pep! This is two weeks in a row the passing game has been awful for long stretches and even though the run has looked promising, they refuse to stick with it. It's sickening. The light finally came on on the final drive and we drove down the field on run plays alone, taking time off the clock and giving us a comforting lead.

Also, if we're going to throw all day how about some high percentage quick throws. It seems Luck is holding the ball all day on every pass.

It seems like Pep can't do balance. He forced the power run offense early on and we said "throw the damn ball" now he's forcing the pass, well run it, dammit.

We won and I'm happy but if we keep this play up we're likely to get embarrassed come playoff time.

They CAN run it well with the right personnel in the game..        

Teams that can't or won't run the ball get exposed in the playoffs, that's just a fact. If we don't start running the ball more, Luck will continue his turnovers and we will get our defense tired and fall behind.

The last BIG drive ...  Boom starts it and takes this team .. all the way into Texan land...     way deep and then...  some genius decides to put Trent in to finish it off.     He had ONE really great run.    STRAIGHT up the gut untouched for 5 yards.      Then...

Skreeeeetchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............      

Sigh...         this staff just will not accept the fact that Trent is at best a 3rd string RB.     Oh well..  

Boom pulled himself out of the game because he was gassed.  But don't let a fact get in the way of a good rant.

Trent got a lot of playing time today, mainly because he's a better pass blocker. It's clear that the game plan today was to pass, and then pass some more. This is how Trent should be used, to protect Luck and spell Boom Herron when he's gassed.

If we want to run, however, we're better off running with BOOM!

That is the entire issue...  NO BODY is scared of Trent ...   IF, and it is a HUGE IF ...  he gets loose he will only waddle 15 or 20 yards before he gets GANG Tackled...  

Sigh..  I just don't see it..       I really don't..   Boom and everyone else who steps in is so much better than TR.    

ughhhh

Boom wanted to back in after the TO. I blame Pep or Luck for trying to be cute with the Luck run.

trent our power runner who is too slow to get outside is asked on first down to run up the gut behind our below average center and guards. how many times before coaches get it , we have to have an o-line to run up the gut. boom has the speed to turn the corner and sometimes we run him up the gut. coaches get an o-line before we try to run up the gut. do they know there are plays called pitch outs and screen passes? if so try them

Stop that ... I am a hyperbole master...

but still... It proves the point I try to make week after week. .

No it doesn't. It's contrary to your point. We gave it to Boom five times in a row. He was clearly out of steam, and probably should have been out of the game after the third carry. Another instance of how they ride Boom when the game is on the line, which is what really matters.

• We do run the run. the ball when Luck has to run after the o-line breaks down. Boom was running well in the 4th and Pep takes him out then 2nd and 1 Trent stopped then that crazy bootleg call. A lot of times the play calling gets too foolish.

Think Boom took himself out, took him a while to get off the turf on his last run. He was gassed

Offense doesn't get going until Boom comes in for Trent because then the defense has to actually consider a run play with a guy that can gain 3+ yards unlike Trent

Handing the ball to TRich (aka SlowTwitch) is like having 3 downs instead of 4.

ok..... 

No it doesn't. It's contrary to your point. We gave it to Boom five times in a row. He was clearly out of steam, and probably should have been out of the game after the third carry. Another instance of how they ride Boom when the game is on the line, which is what really matters.

It's hard to establish a running game when it's 2nd and 10 every time because Trent Richardson gets stuffed for no gain every time.

Maybe he would, but I'd wager calling plays for Andrew Luck would be better for your career vs calling plays for Derek Carr. 

Anyone would, I think. That makes sense.

Problem is that Pep has to get an offer somewhere else, and I'm not convinced that's going to happen. I also don't know why you think Grigson or Pagano would be interested in Roman, but that's all a completely different story.

You know what the worst part is? The fact that Grigson is going to hire Greg Roman to be our OC after this season. Yuck. 

So, you're convinced that Pep gets fired (or not re-hired depending on how it works out) and that Grigson will try to hire Greg Roman?

I'm not saying you're wrong.    But is that your hunch, or did you read this somewhere?