Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we run the ball? Please?

ColtsLegacy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Coltslegacy and I've been saying this all year as well.  Here is an example:  Trich starts the game a run for 2 and a run for 3.  Then at 10:20 left in the first quarter Trich gets a nice 6 yard carry on 1st down making it 2nd and 4.  Luck throws two incomplete passes.  Now if that is not bad enough, TRich does not get another running play until the 11:07 mark of the 2nd quarter then he gets a nice 4 yard gain on 1st down.

I just do not understand the play calling.  Maybe it's not Pep maybe Luck keeps changing the play at the LOS to pad his stats.  I don't know but they need try running the ball more than once or twice a possession.  Look what happened in the 4th quarter when they did.  Boom and Trich ran over the Texans.

That's quite a way to assume the worst. I don't think Luck cares about his stats.

I think, more likely, Luck checks out of run plays when he sees a certain look. I think we should be more stubborn against 7 man fronts and let the offensive line put some work in at times, but I think Luck's checking when he has favorable matchups because he's been told to do so. Chuck and Pep have mentioned identifying and attacking matchups since training camp, and Luck has done so since preseason. I think it's as simple as not trying to run when we don't have numbers. Not because Luck wants to pad his stats. That's a pretty strange assertion, IMO.

So, you're convinced that Pep gets fired (or not re-hired depending on how it works out) and that Grigson will try to hire Greg Roman?

I'm not saying you're wrong. But is that your hunch, or did you read this somewhere?

I think Pep gets a HC job and Grigs hires Roman. Just a hunch.

all I can say is the designed run by luck on 3 down on the Texans yard line was possibly the worst playcall I have seen all season especially the way we were running that drive, sometimes I think pep thinks he is still in college, that was just brutal to watch....

Run the damn ball, Pep! This is two weeks in a row the passing game has been awful for long stretches and even though the run has looked promising, they refuse to stick with it. It's sickening. The light finally came on on the final drive and we drove down the field on run plays alone, taking time off the clock and giving us a comforting lead.

Also, if we're going to throw all day how about some high percentage quick throws. It seems Luck is holding the ball all day on every pass.

It seems like Pep can't do balance. He forced the power run offense early on and we said "throw the damn ball" now he's forcing the pass, well run it, dammit.

We won and I'm happy but if we keep this play up we're likely to get embarrassed come playoff time.

Unfortunately, Pep is still learning how to play-call in the NFL...and he has serious problems against good Ds and good D-coordinators.

I agree Coltslegacy and I've been saying this all year as well.  Here is an example:  Trich starts the game a run for 2 and a run for 3.  Then at 10:20 left in the first quarter Trich gets a nice 6 yard carry on 1st down making it 2nd and 4.  Luck throws two incomplete passes.  Now if that is not bad enough, TRich does not get another running play until the 11:07 mark of the 2nd quarter then he gets a nice 4 yard gain on 1st down.

I just do not understand the play calling.  Maybe it's not Pep maybe Luck keeps changing the play at the LOS to pad his stats.  I don't know but they need try running the ball more than once or twice a possession.  Look what happened in the 4th quarter when they did.  Boom and Trich ran over the Texans.

Too bad it couldn't have been no more carries for the rest of the game.

all I can say is the designed run by luck on 3 down on the Texans yard line was possibly the worst playcall I have seen all season especially the way we were running that drive, sometimes I think pep thinks he is still in college, that was just brutal to watch....

I think that play call was fine. Problem is Dwayne Allen missed his block, otherwise, Luck probably walks in untouched.

Trich had one carry for positive yards in the 4th quarter, but Boom sure ran over the Texans

Did you see the article a few weeks back where an NFL exec called him "the Andrew Luck of HC candidates?"

If that NFL exec worked for the Seahawks or some other team that isn't going to be changing coaches, then that quote doesn't really matter. I personally think the strength of his candidacy has been trumped up a little bit over the last year, but I don't really know anything. I wouldn't give him 80%, though. Maybe 50%. Of course, that's pretty exclusive to NFL jobs. He could get some college interest again.

Also, as far as NFL candidates go, I think he's behind Dan Quinn, Rex Ryan, Adam Gase, and a couple other guys. 

I don't think for one minute that Luck is trying to pad his stats, He doesn't give a crap about stats, he's calling out of plays because of what the defense shows.

Trich had one carry for positive yards in the 4th quarter, but Boom sure ran over the Texans

He only had two carries in the 4th quarter. The other one was against a stacked box in a pretty clear rushing situation, and the line got wiped out.

Of course, if the point was that Boom was the one doing the work in the 4th quarter, then I obviously agree. He was strong, and just got stronger and stronger on that last drive. And no fumbles...

If that NFL exec worked for the Seahawks or some other team that isn't going to be changing coaches, then that quote doesn't really matter. I personally think the strength of his candidacy has been trumped up a little bit over the last year, but I don't really know anything. I wouldn't give him 80%, though. Maybe 50%. Of course, that's pretty exclusive to NFL jobs. He could get some college interest again.

Also, as far as NFL candidates go, I think he's behind Dan Quinn, Rex Ryan, Adam Gase, and a couple other guys.

We'll see.

We'll see.

Just curious, are you including college jobs in your 80%? 

For instance, Pittsburgh just came open, because Wisconsin was open, because Oregon State was open. Some guys might leave an NFL job for Pitt, but would Pep? I think he'd leave for contender in a major five conference, not a Podunk University gig. I think if he waits another year, he'd probably be THE hottest guy on the market. Apparently, some think he already is, but I wonder about that...

Just curious, are you including college jobs in your 80%?

For instance, Pittsburgh just came open, because Wisconsin was open, because Oregon State was open. Some guys might leave an NFL job for Pitt, but would Pep? I think he'd leave for contender in a major five conference, not a Podunk University gig. I think if he waits another year, he'd probably be THE hottest guy on the market. Apparently, some think he already is, but I wonder about that...

Yeah, I was counting colleges.

He only had two carries in the 4th quarter. The other one was against a stacked box in a pretty clear rushing situation, and the line got wiped out.

Of course, if the point was that Boom was the one doing the work in the 4th quarter, then I obviously agree. He was strong, and just got stronger and stronger on that last drive. And no fumbles...

I don't know of any other point to make.

Trent was averaging 2 ypc in the 4th quarter this season. Odds were against him doing much if given the the carries.

Remember when people were upset because Pep wanted to run the ball too much and now people beg him to run the ball?  Funny how things go..

With that said I saw them try to run the ball a lot today.  Until that last drive it just didn't work.  Something clicked on that last drive.  Rather the Texans D was just out of gas or the Colts figured out something I don't know. 

Remember when people were upset because Pep wanted to run the ball too much and now people beg him to run the ball?  Funny how things go..

With that said I saw them try to run the ball a lot today.  Until that last drive it just didn't work.  Something clicked on that last drive.  Rather the Texans D was just out of gas or the Colts figured out something I don't know. 

I could be wrong, but to me it seemed like we started running those unbalanced counter plays we were running against the Eagles.  I've been looking for us to run those for a while now and it's like we just act like they were never effective. I have to say that T Rich tends to run pretty well out of that unbalanced look.  I still don't think he's that great, but it does appear at times that we tend to go away from the things that he does reasonably well.

I do think we did more to establish the run game today versus what we looked like last week, but some improvement still needs to be made heading into the playoffs.

I could be wrong, but to me it seemed like we started running those unbalanced counter plays we were running against

the Eagles.  I've been looking for us to run those for a while now and it's like we just act like they were never effective.

I have to say that T Rich tends to run pretty well out of that unbalanced look.  I still don't think he's that great, but it does

appear at times that we tend to go away from the things that he does well.

Yeah I noticed them going back to the unbalanced line and it seemed to work well.  The Texans also just seemed to be out of gas so it was probably a little from both categories. 

Yeah I noticed them going back to the unbalanced line and it seemed to work well.  The Texans also just seemed to be out of gas so it was probably a little from both categories. 

I think we run really well out of that unbalanced look.  I can't quite figure out why we go so many games without using it.

When we are running successfully out of that look it also opens up the short passing game to me.  Coaching staff leaves

me scratching my head at times.  They really do!

I think we run really well out of that unbalanced look.  I can't quite figure out why we go so many games without using it.

When we are running successfully out of that look it also opens up the short passing game to me.  Coaching staff leaves

me scratching my head at times.  They really do!

it is kinda gimmicky I think you have to pick your spots with it because if you do it all the time it will lose it's effectiveness.  I am sure it has to do with what you are seeing from the defense too and how effective other things are too.

Yeah I noticed them going back to the unbalanced line and it seemed to work well. The Texans also just seemed to be out of gas so it was probably a little from both categories.

I find it hard to believe the Texans D was out of gas on that last drive. Our offense was on the field for something like 13 plays total in the 2nd half prior to that final drive.

I find it hard to believe the Texans D was out of gas on that last drive. Our offense was on the field for something like 13 plays total in the 2nd half prior to that final drive.

That and they seem to rotate there D Linemen in quite frequently(probably more because of lack of an impact player among the D Line except Watt as much as it is to keep them fresh) except for Watt whos an every down lineman

I don't understand your response. The statement was that Trent and Boom were running all over the Texans in the 4th Qtr.   Which to that: I answered, Trent only had one carry for positive yards in the 4th qtr, but Boom ran all over the Texans.    Your response about the stacked line and clear rushing situation changes nothing.     The fact that Trent had only one carry for positive yards in the 4th qtr remains true. This just helps to make my point even more clear, that Boom was the one doing the work in the 4th qtr. So where is the confusion about the point I'm trying to make.  Opposition just for the sake of opposition, doesn't always apply, especially when the point being made is clear.

I don't understand your response. The statement was that Trent and Boom were running all over the Texans in the 4th Qtr. Which to that: I answered, Trent only had one carry for positive yards in the 4th qtr, but Boom ran all over the Texans. Your response about the stacked line and clear rushing situation changes nothing. The fact that Trent had only one carry for positive yards in the 4th qtr remains true. This just helps to make my point even more clear, that Boom was the one doing the work in the 4th qtr. So where is the confusion about the point I'm trying to make. Opposition just for the sake of opposition, doesn't always apply, especially when the point being made is clear.

Not sure what you're looking for. I only responded because your comment makes it seem like Richardson was getting stopped in the 4th. He only had two carries.

Knowing that your point was just that Boom was the one doing the work, there's nothing more to say.

Not sure what you're looking for. I only responded because your comment makes it seem like Richardson was getting stopped in the 4th. He only had two carries.

Knowing that your point was just that Boom was the one doing the work, there's nothing more to say.

The guy loves to argue.  He will say anything to make his perspective seem true.  He thinks saying his point over and over makes him correct.  He is always trying to use your words in a wrong way, and runs with the idea he makes up in his head and applies it to other circumstances.  He thinks the way he talks is very intelligent and he understands everything, but in realitiy he is the one who gets confused by what people say (I'm referring to an old arguement of ours), so much that he gets upset and says "You make no sense".  Then he proceeds to comment on everyone of your posts, becoming verbally abusive and acting like a child (Who knows? Maybe he is a child!)!!

Run the damn ball, Pep! This is two weeks in a row the passing game has been awful for long stretches and even though the run has looked promising, they refuse to stick with it. It's sickening. The light finally came on on the final drive and we drove down the field on run plays alone, taking time off the clock and giving us a comforting lead.

Also, if we're going to throw all day how about some high percentage quick throws. It seems Luck is holding the ball all day on every pass.

It seems like Pep can't do balance. He forced the power run offense early on and we said "throw the damn ball" now he's forcing the pass, well run it, dammit.

We won and I'm happy but if we keep this play up we're likely to get embarrassed come playoff time.

I agree with you 100% i feel as if we establish the run early it will only help us that much more in the passing attack. The offense is so unbalanced and its hurting us bad.