Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donald Thomas

Dark Superman

My first instinct is that we release him in the off-season, but if we do somehow keep this guy around would you rather Thomas and Mewhort as our starting guards or keep it as it is with Thornton and Mewhort?

I have no doubt that a healthy Thomas is probably an upgrade over both of our guards now and I am not really sure on how I feel with Thornton as a starter. I think Mewhort is going to be a solid player for us down the road..

Opinions Colts nation?

I say he gets paid a lot less, but keep him as good depth.

In order for this to happen we'd have to rework his contact and add some years to it. I'd rather pay him his money and let him try to stay healthy for a year, or even a few games. If he can't stay healthy don't resign him.

My first instinct is that we release him in the off-season, but if we do somehow keep this guy around would you rather Thomas and Mewhort as our starting guards or keep it as it is with Thornton and Mewhort?

I have no doubt that a healthy Thomas is probably an upgrade over both of our guards now and I am not really sure on how I feel with Thornton as a starter. I think Mewhort is going to be a solid player for us down the road..

Opinions Colts nation?

Actually you should have a LOT of doubt. The guy was a career backup and we paid top dollar for him.

He has a huge looking upper body and squatty legs that were not considered as being athletic.

Homer, just because WE signed him does not mean he was that good.

Silly to keep this guy when we are developing young starters and we already have decent depth.

Were you a one of our _______ Pep bashers?

We should look next year for another young project without his health issues,

In order for this to happen we'd have to rework his contact and add some years to it. I'd rather pay him his money and let him try to stay healthy for a year, or even a few games. If he can't stay healthy don't resign him.

Then Grigs needs to sharpen the ol' pencil. I could maybe see him starting over Thornton (not Mewhort), but remaining healthy for a starter's role is something Thomas doesn't appear capable of unfortunately. 

Cherilus contract needs reworked as well. Or we get a new RT. 

Opinions Colts nation?

Honestly if he is here next year I think he is a backup!

I'd agree if that were true (I'm not doubting you, I just don't know) AND he can actually play.  It's always good to have competition and depth.

He's played 2 games (70 snaps) in 2 full seasons, which is almost 3 years.  He got paid $3,250,000.00 per game since he signed with us.  I am not in favor paying him another $7.5 million to see if he can up that games played number.  Accept the 500 grand dead money and let him walk.  Save the 7 million for someone who can make the roster and not IR.  He's torn up the same quad twice within 11 months and is damaged goods. Cut our losses and move on.

He's played on just 70 snaps since signing a four-year, $14 million doesn't sound like someone that should be around next year to me. He re injured the same quad twice a surgical repair reattaches the torn tendon to the top of the kneecap that just doesn't sound good two years in a row. I would be surprised if he was a Colt next year. We cut him before June 1st it's a 500,000 cap hit saves 3.2M seems like a no brainer to me. 

I liked that kid Josh Walker in the preseason. We had him on the PS not sure what happened.  I am pretty sure that Green Bay signed him to their PS.

I think we need to spend a high pick on the O Line again the left side is in good shape but the right side could be better.

We need to plan for a new RT in the next couple of years. Cherilus will be 32 in 2 yrs. don't see how we get out earlier even if we want to without taking a big hit.  It will be interesting to see how Grig's handles Cherilus's and his contract it's not pretty. The highest paid RT in the league?

Maybe Nixon or Ulrick John will grow into the spot who knows. We stashed Matt Hall on IR too.  I'd still like to see an O Lineman fall to us in the first 2 days of the draft. The beef is what makes the train go.

http://overthecap.com/player/gosder-cherilus/1008/