Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Angerer Retires

lollygagger8

This I think is part of a culture shift in the NFL.  I think there used to be this culture that you kept trying until it was either hopeless or you could just no longer do it anymore.

Now it seems we have guys who are retiring at a relatively young age when some of them might still have prospects to play again because they want to preserve their bodies and minds from a violent sport.

Probably a good decision in the long run.  

Thanks Pat! I hope you enjoy the next phase of your life. On to new beginnings! ;)

I met him once. Nice guy, and for a moment in time, it appeared that he would have a great career in Indy. Too bad it did not work out for him here or anywhere else. 

This I think is part of a culture shift in the NFL.  I think there used to be this culture that you kept trying until it was either hopeless or you could just no longer do it anymore.

Now it seems we have guys who are retiring at a relatively young age when some of them might still have prospects to play again because they want to preserve their bodies and minds from a violent sport.

I would say his prospects of playing again were pretty hopeless. He said on hard knocks the Falcons were the only team that even gave him a call and thanked them for the opportunity. Injuries had just taken their toll on him. Great guy, but no NFL team was going to be ringing his phone anytime soon. This was, at the very least, a mutual parting between Angerer and the NFL.

The average NFL career is 3 years. So all in all this is not out of the ordinary.

I would say his prospects of playing again were pretty hopeless. He said on hard knocks the Falcons were the only team that even gave him a call and thanked them for the opportunity. Injuries had just taken their toll on him. Great guy, but no NFL team was going to be ringing his phone anytime soon. This was, at the very least, a mutual parting between Angerer and the NFL.

Ehh he was the first name that would come up when a team needed to quickly sign a new LB.  

If he hung around for a little while he might have seen himself on another team for a short time or in another camp.

However granted his career was pretty downhill and he wasn't likely to get a big contract anywhere or stick with a team for a long period of time.

The average NFL career is 3 years. So all in all this is not out of the ordinary.

I've personally been trying to figure out how they figure that number.  I mean are they counting the camp bodies that get invited to a camp once, get cut and are never heard from again?

Edit: Yeah the 3 year figure includes all the camp bodies.  For guys who make an opening day roster it's 6 years.  

http://nflcommunications.com/2011/04/18/what-is-average-nfl-player%E2%80%99s-career-length-longer-than-you-might-think-commissioner-goodell-says/

Not much decision on his part.

Had a great run with us, especially under the pre-Pagano defensive scheme. A great C2 LB. I've been surprised that he didn't get a look-see with Lovie Smith in Tampa. 

But then again, I really am skeptical that Lovie has any idea just what in the hell he's doing down there....

Great guy, Sad that he got hurt and he could just not recover and stick on a team somewhere, I wish him the best, There is life beyond football as high a priority and as high in regard we hold these individuals...They are human beings and have faults like everyone else and emotions and fears, Glad he is walking away with his held high

not to change subject, im new to this forum and was wondering why it wont let me post a topic, do i have to have a certain amount of posts before i can start topics?

Yes....   I'm not a moderator, but I believe you have to have 15 posts before the system will let you start a topic to be discussed.

I guess the mods want to make sure that new posters can play nice in the sandbox with the rest of us!      

Good luck and welcome!    :thmup:

Not really retiring if you can't get a job

Announcing your retirement typically (but not always means) the players is submitting formal retirement paperwork to the NFL which starts his clock toward collecting benefits some day.

It also notifies all teams of his status.

Because even if Pat can't get a job today,  things change all the time....   and maybe a team would be interested somewhere down the road.      You just never know....

Either way,  best of luck to Pat and hope he can enjoy life after football.....

Announcing your retirement typically (but not always means) the players is submitting formal retirement paperwork to the NFL which starts his clock toward collecting benefits some day.

It also notifies all teams of his status.

Because even if Pat can't get a job today,  things change all the time....   and maybe a team would be interested somewhere down the road.      You just never know....

Either way,  best of luck to Pat and hope he can enjoy life after football.....

That makes me curious. . . if you don't submit your retirement paperwork at all, is there a certain point at which the NFL considers you retired if you havn't been with a team or even to a training camp after so many years?

Not really retiring if you can't get a job

It's way too early to say he wouldn't be able to.  His name popped up a lot when there where injuries to linebackers.  Now don't get me wrong, he wasn't in a position to where he was going to be able to stick with any team for a very long time.  But to say that he'd never be able to find a job again with how quickly things change in the NFL is presuming a lot.  

I mean Deion Branch wasn't on a team for the whole 2013 season and we brought him in for a few weeks at the very end.  Pat hasn't been sitting on FA nearly as long as Branch did.  Granted I don't think Branch played a down for us but he was getting a paycheck for a few weeks.

Lance Louis was cut by the Dolphins in training camp and after that wasn't on a team at all until we brought him in for 2014 and he's our #1 backup at both guard positions.   

That makes me curious. . . if you don't submit your retirement paperwork at all, is there a certain point at which the NFL considers you retired if you havn't been with a team or even to a training camp after so many years?

Great question....  and I don't know the answer.....

But I've heard guys who are their 50's and 60's say things like....   "you know,  I never submitted my retirement paper work..."

So,  I don't know if the rules for older guys were different or what the deal is?

My hunch is you're right.   At some point,  you're automatically considered retired....

Yes....   I'm not a moderator, but I believe you have to have 15 posts before the system will let you start a topic to be discussed.

I guess the mods want to make sure that new posters can play nice in the sandbox with the rest of us!      

Good luck and welcome!    :thmup:

ok thanks buddy!