Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian regrets not drafting Andy Dalton

rabidfan77

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy Dalton is better than most give him credit for but he's no Andrew Luck. Plus what would we have done with Dalton after that season sat him on the bench for another five years? I don't think Polian would have drafted him and then looked to trade him that doesn't fit his style. No way Polian drafts him. This is rewriting history.

If we drafted Dalton he would have only been our QB for the 2011 season. Andy Dalton = no number 1 pick which equates to Peyton not being cut.

Polian clearly favors Peyton to the Colts. Which I don't blame him. He has no reason to favor the Colts to his players. He was successful with the Bills and Panthers. It's not like the Colts were his only achievement.

Polian has said this many times before. What I think he means by that is if that if he drafted Dalton, he would probably still be the GM of the Colts trying to win a Super Bowl behind Peyton.

I don't know why some of you think drafting Dalton means he would be our quarterback. He would have just been the saving grace in 2011. Most likely traded sometime during 2012 when it became clear Peyton can still play.

Of course but what about after the 2017 season?...dalton is the qb for 10-12 years...Peyton can't play forever that's why elway is mortgaging the future because when Peyton is done the broncos will have to start over at QB at the very least. 

Do people realize if we had Dalton, we wouldn't have Luck? We'd be rolling with Manning at the helm, and Dalton as the backup. Right now we'd be better off, but a year or two into the future, who knows.

Good point SH since watching the incompetence of Curtis Painter took about 5 years off my life. It all worked out in INDY's favor in the end. 

If Dalton crashes & burns this post season, I'm done with him as a viable QB in the league though. Just win 1 playoff game Andy. It will really upset me if he flames out that soon in the NFL since TCU with Dalton at the helm beat my WI Badgers in 2011 Rose Bowl. QB Russell Wilson was electric that game, but just came up short 21-19 & then his squad stomps the Broncos is 2014 sigh....But, I digress...I hate it when the team I pull for loses. It ruins my whole week. Grrr! Oh well. 

Of course but what about after the 2017 season?...dalton is the qb for 10-12 years...Peyton can't play forever that's why elway is mortgaging the future because when Peyton is done the broncos will have to start over at QB at the very least. 

I agree with you from the standpoint of age & that 18 is not invincible as we all know rabidfan77, but the issue was the pathetic quality of our backup QB situation in INDY when Manning went down & even in Denver now QB Brock Osweiler as a game manager could still win some games with the o-line & defense if god forbid something bad happened to Peyton again. 

I'm still dumbfounded that Painter landed in NY with Eli Manning. Talk about a head scratcher man. I'm still speechless over that one actually. He's still listed on their team roster. I just checked out of curiosity. 

Okay, to be fair, QB Kerry Collins sucked big time too in INDY as well. When we picked him up, I fell into the trap of remembering his NY Giants days & Carolina days when he was actually decent at slinging the ball. Boy, was I wrong on that one. 

Hey Bill why aren't you a GM anymore?

Ohhhh that explains it

As much as I respect Bill Polian, your post is spot on Nobody because it reminds me of Bill telling the media why they were simply short sided if they didn't agree with his decision making. Bill had a difficult time with home town criticism. Bill loved ya if you agreed with his moves, but became a tad bit adversarial with news personnel when they didn't. 

Bill's incredible drafting record in Buffalo, Carolina, & INDY cannot be denied though. It is very impressive. 

I doubt it would be of his concern or even Colts fans for that matter. Hypothetically speaking 1998-2017 is 20 seasons as the Colts GM, and Polian would be 75 years old. That's a stinkin' long time for one gig. Polian obviously feels like his time Colts was cut short. I guarantee he still wish he was the GM of the Colts with his players still.

And as for 2017 and beyond, no Colts fan would be thinking that way. Most were happy with the Colts regime entering 2011. It was just the dismal season and 13 losses in a row that sank the ship. With potentially Andy Dalton as the quarterback the Colts might win 5/6 games. Thus looking forward to the 2012 season with Peyton returning. Not the stud college quarterback coming out of college and the next 15/16 years.

So in short no Colts fan would be think about 2017 and beyond. The thought would most likely be, wow we got this kid who played decent in the absence of Peyton. He could turn out to be the next Aaron Rodgers when Peyton hangs it up. Because no one would know much about Dalton other than stepping in during the absence of Peyton.

That's what happens when you have no run game, especially in the playoffs....Bengals literally ran 481 times last year and only got 3.6pc out of it, The QB is asked to put more of a load on his shoulders, Manning could only get us so far with no run game, Same goes for Luck, Besides that the Bengals defense was nowhere in sight in the playoffs

That has nothing to do with it, Andy just sucks

Monster at TCU, average in the NFL

Look at all their playoff losses with him, barely lost. Defense was top tier in all those games. Just recently in their playoff loss to San Diego with all those turnovers their defense still had them in the game for Dalton to pull through but he couldn't

Losses to Houston they could've won, Dalton just can't produce

Bernard

Green

Eifert (spellcheck)

Gresham

Hawkins

Green-Ellis

He has weapons and a offensive line, no excuses for Dalton

I don't think Dalton would have necessarily saved us from a terrible season or Polians job! I like Andy Dalton but I think a lot of his first year success was the fact that he was throwing to AJ Green and had a solid defence in Cincy, just my opinion though! thankfully we ended up with Luck though so its just another case of Polian being bitter...

I don't think Dalton would have necessarily saved us from a terrible season or Polians job! I like Andy Dalton but I think a lot of his first year success was the fact that he was throwing to AJ Green and had a solid defence in Cincy, just my opinion though! thankfully we ended up with Luck though so its just another case of Polian being bitter...

He wouldn't have been good enough to make us a good team that year but he would have been good enough to make sure we didn't get the #1 overall pick and therefore Luck.

So it would have been bad for us in the long run to have had Andy Dalton.  

So, what, instead of Andrew Luck and Anthony Castonzo we would have ended up with, I guess, Andy Dalton and, I dunno, Riley Reiff?  Assuming we were picking mid-1st with Dalton?  And even if we were picking first, then Andy Dalton and either Trent Richardson or Matt Kalil?

I mean, I like Matt Kalil and all, and Dalton isn't terrible, but I think we got the much sweeter end of that deal right there, even if you give us Kalil or Kuechly or someone on that level in 2012.

The Broncos did draft Brock Osweiler. If he has skills like they have seen in limited action, he will already be a pro in preparation working with Manning 3+ years. Whether he becomes another Rodger like phenom after sitting on bench, or another mediocre QB remains to be seen when Peyton does finally hang them up.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_26266040/paige-waiting-game-brock-osweiler-ongoing

And While I would love to have had Peyton finish his HOF career in Indy, I'm not upset that we have Andrew Luck.  Not at all.  True, Polian could have saved his job with a plan B at QB (Dalton) , but he didn't and the storybook is closed. And the Colts and we fans benefit.

he plays on arguably the most talented roster in football and chokes every year in the playoffs

Which is why we all prefer Luck.  But two things.  1) IMO, He is not on arguably the most talented roster.  Seahawks, 49ers, and Broncos all have better rosters.  They're more on par with the Panthers.  Still a very good team, but they've got a few more questionable areas, notably their secondary and running game.  2) The more talented roster around him has to do better in those playoff games as well.  Last year, Dalton played poorly, that's true.  But its' not like his defense gave him any help.  Giving up 5 YPC is pitiful.

Our roster was bad enough that I question whether even Dalton could have saved it had he taken over starter duties as a rookie in 2011.  To me, there was still a good chance we were picking #2 or #1 in the 2012 draft.  But even if he could have, Peyton would have remained a Colt I think.

In this parallel universe that Polian is reflecting on....it would be nice to know, in HIS words, what would he have done with our "busting at the seams" salary cap?

We had barely any cap space to retain whoever he'd have deemed worth retaining...leaving us to basically develop his draft picks as Peyton ages.

Not only that....but once Peyton returned from rehab, Dalton would have gotten less 1st team reps than a Kentucky hockey player has teeth.

Good god. Thank heavens that didn't happen. I've made my feelings on Andy Dalton clear on numerous occasions around here but I'll say it again... Andy Dalton doesn't even crack the top 20 of QBs in the league, IMO.

so youre saying more then half the league have better starting QBs then dalton

haha. That's not even remotely true. They had Gresham, Eifert, Marvin Jones, Sanu and Andrew Hawkins last year. Not to mention one of the best olines in the NFL. He has more weapons than 75% of the league.

You watch many Bengal games?

Sanu had season ending surgery in 2012 and last year put up 16 receptions, 154 yards, and 4 touchdowns big threat there.

Take away Jones 4 td game. and add in his 7 games with 2 or less catches I would say the definition of inconsistency this was his third year supposed to be the break out year and he's hurt already.

Eifert had some moments but was a rookie last year as was Bernard both of whom should help the O more this year.

Hawkins a guy that has kicked around from the CFL (won the Grey Cup in 09 and 10) to PS's finally getting a little going in Cinny before the ankle injury last year.

You double AJ Green and the Bengals O is pretty easy to stop. I don't get why everyone hates on Dalton he has been to the playoffs every year in a very competitive division. AJ hasn't always shown up in the big games either. He has yet to win in the playoffs but it is only going to be his 4th year.

You watch many Bengal games?

Sanu had season ending surgery in 2012 and last year put up 16 receptions, 154 yards, and 4 touchdowns big threat there.

Take away Jones 4 td game. and add in his 7 games with 2 or less catches I would say the definition of inconsistency this was his third year supposed to be the break out year and he's hurt already.

Eifert had some moments but was a rookie last year as was Bernard both of whom should help the O more this year.

Hawkins a guy that has kicked around from the CFL (won the Grey Cup in 09 and 10) to PS's finally getting a little going in Cinny before the ankle injury last year.

You double AJ Green and the Bengals O is pretty easy to stop. I don't get why everyone hates on Dalton he has been to the playoffs every year in a very competitive division. AJ hasn't always shown up in the big games either. He has yet to win in the playoffs but it is only going to be his 4th year.

Don't you know that only quarterbacks can be blamed for losses?  

I mean what are you thinking?  You act like there are 21 other guys out there!

You need to get with the program. . . the team loses, it's the quarterback's fault.  Period . . . because no else could possibly effect the outcome of the game other then the quarterback.  

I mean what are you thinking?  You act like there are 21 other guys out there!

You need to get with the program. . . the team loses, it's the quarterback's fault.  Period . . . because no else could possibly effect the outcome of the game other then the quarterback.  

In this case, I do think Dalton deserves a big portion of the blame for their losses in the playoffs. They've scored 10, 13 and 10 points in three playoff games, and Dalton's performances have been pretty bad. One TD, six picks, 57% completion rate, 3.8 adjusted yards/attempt. He's certainly not acquitting himself of any criticism.

But, as always, a small sample of playoff games don't outweigh 48 regular season games, and they don't make him a bad QB. No one is arguing that Andy Dalton is special, but in 2011 as a rookie, he was much better than anyone we had at QB. I think Polian still would have signed Kerry Collins to start once Manning was clearly going to miss the start of the season, but the switch from Collins might have gone better with Dalton in the lineup. 

so youre saying more then half the league have better starting QBs then dalton

Yes.

In no particular order here's who I believe are better QBs than Dalton:

1) Peyton

2) Rodgers

3) Brady

4) Brees

5) Luck

6) Rivers

7) Roethlisberger

8) Romo

9) Cam

10) Kaep

11) Wilson

12) Cutler

13) Foles

14) Stafford

15) Ryan

16) Eli

17) Flacco

18) Glennon

19) Tannehill

20) Alex Smith

21) Josh McCown

22) RG3

23) Bradford

In this case, I do think Dalton deserves a big portion of the blame for their losses in the playoffs. They've scored 10, 13 and 10 points in three playoff games, and Dalton's performances have been pretty bad. One TD, six picks, 57% completion rate, 3.8 adjusted yards/attempt. He's certainly not acquitting himself of any criticism.

But, as always, a small sample of playoff games don't outweigh 48 regular season games, and they don't make him a bad QB. No one is arguing that Andy Dalton is special, but in 2011 as a rookie, he was much better than anyone we had at QB. I think Polian still would have signed Kerry Collins to start once Manning was clearly going to miss the start of the season, but the switch from Collins might have gone better with Dalton in the lineup. 

Oh not saying he didn't deserve the blame.  I never watched the games so I wouldn't know.  I just wanted to be snarky/sarcastic about that response since it's rare to see someone blame a loss on a player that's not the quarterback.

Yes.

In no particular order here's who I believe are better QBs than Dalton:

1) Peyton

2) Rodgers

3) Brady

4) Brees

5) Luck

6) Rivers

7) Roethlisberger

8) Romo

9) Cam

10) Kaep

11) Wilson

12) Cutler

13) Foles

14) Stafford

15) Ryan

16) Eli

17) Flacco

18) Glennon

19) Tannehill

20) Alex Smith

21) Josh McCown

22) RG3

23) Bradford

I stopped reading after you said glennon

Yes.

In no particular order here's who I would rather have as my QB:

1) Peyton

2) Rodgers

3) Brady

4) Brees

5) Luck

6) Rivers

7) Roethlisberger

8) Romo

9) Cam

10) Kaep

11) Wilson

12) Cutler

13) Foles

14) Stafford

15) Ryan

16) Eli

17) Flacco

18) Glennon

19) Tannehill

20) Alex Smith

21) Josh McCown

22) RG3

23) Bradford

Hard to argue with most of that list. JMO, I disagree with the ones I crossed out. And I'm torn on McCown. Even in that case, Dalton would be around 19th on the list.

I mean what are you thinking? You act like there are 21 other guys out there!

You need to get with the program. . . the team loses, it's the quarterback's fault. Period . . . because no else could possibly effect the outcome of the game other then the quarterback.