Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian regrets not drafting Andy Dalton

rabidfan77

There's a story on nfl.com that talks about how Polian almost drafted Dalton in 2011 when Peyton was going through his neck issues...but Peyton's record of never missing regular season saved us from the purgatory of 10-12 years of Dalton hahaha...THANK GOD he didn't draft dalton we'd be stuck with a medicore qb and GM (chris polian) for a long time...so glad the football gods smiled on our franchise that day and led us to Andrew Luck, Chuck Pagano, and Ryan Grigson hahaha

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000377186/article/bill-polian-wishes-he-drafted-andy-dalton-in-2011

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mark sanchez never threw 33 tds. heck not even luck has done that. dont get me wrong I love that luck is our QB, but the hate on dalton is misguided

he plays on arguably the most talented roster in football and chokes every year in the playoffs

Andy Dalton = slightly upgraded Mark Sanchez

If that was the case why are the Bengals better than the Jets. Not sure Dalton would fit in with the 2012 team but with our receivers today i think Dalton would fit in for us. I am a TCU fan and I followed Dalton's career there. I think he will improve with the Bengals. That being said i am glad that we didn't draft Dalton as i think we have a real good QB in Luck.

he plays on arguably the most talented roster in football and chokes every year in the playoffs

That's what happens when you have no run game, especially in the playoffs....Bengals literally ran 481 times last year and only got 3.6pc out of it, The QB is asked to put more of a load on his shoulders, Manning could only get us so far with no run game, Same goes for Luck, Besides that the Bengals defense was nowhere in sight in the playoffs

He's said this multiple times.  It does make you wonder how good Dalton is though.  In Cincy, he has a star WR in AJ Green, a good running game, solid OL, and very good defense.  The 2011 Colts were missing 3 of those....4 depending on how you define star WR.  Would Dalton have been able to get some wins with the very weak roster the Colts had that year?  It's very likely that even with Dalton, we would still be picking in the top 5 in 2012

He's said this multiple times.  It does make you wonder how good Dalton is though.  In Cincy, he has a star WR in AJ Green, a good running game, solid OL, and very good defense.  The 2011 Colts were missing 3 of those....4 depending on how you define star WR.  Would Dalton have been able to get some wins with the very weak roster the Colts had that year?  It's very likely that even with Dalton, we would still be picking in the top 5 in 2012

481 runs at 3.6 ypc  isn't good...Its actually awful and that's with the 8th most rush attempts in the league in 2013...Bottom half of the league rushing yards with the 8th most attempts

Defensively sure, but the only real threat on offense is aj

haha. That's not even remotely true. They had Gresham, Eifert, Marvin Jones, Sanu and Andrew Hawkins last year. Not to mention one of the best olines in the NFL. He has more weapons than 75% of the league.

If we drafted Dalton he would have only been our QB for the 2011 season. Andy Dalton = no number 1 pick which equates to Peyton not being cut.

Polian clearly favors Peyton to the Colts. Which I don't blame him. He has no reason to favor the Colts to his players. He was successful with the Bills and Panthers. It's not like the Colts were his only achievement.

Polian has said this many times before. What I think he means by that is if that if he drafted Dalton, he would probably still be the GM of the Colts trying to win a Super Bowl behind Peyton.

I don't know why some of you think drafting Dalton means he would be our quarterback. He would have just been the saving grace in 2011. Most likely traded sometime during 2012 when it became clear Peyton can still play.

I'm sure there are a large number of GM's who regret not drafting Andy Dalton.

And there are many who regret not drafting Colin Kaepernick in the same class.

And there are many who regret not drafting Russell Wilson.

And there are many who regret not drafting Nick Foles.

Any QB who slipped out of the first round and turns into a quality starting QB,  I'm sure there are large number of GM's who regret not drafting them.

That's just the way of the world.     This is not a Polian thing,  all GM's play the "If only" game......

Dalton is adequate.  I think I could be good with various other teams although I'm not sure which ones.  I actually see him working out in Dallas for some reason; I'm not sure why.

As for Indy, I'm happy the way things worked out.  I miss Peyton but I even think he understood the reasoning behind Indy letting him hit the FA market and taking Luck in the draft.  

There's a story on nfl.com that talks about how Polian almost drafted Dalton in 2011 when Peyton was going through his neck issues...but Peyton's record of never missing regular season saved us from the purgatory of 10-12 years of Dalton hahaha...THANK GOD he didn't draft dalton we'd be stuck with a medicore qb and GM (chris polian) for a long time...so glad the football gods smiled on our franchise that day and led us to Andrew Luck, Chuck Pagano, and Ryan Grigson hahaha

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000377186/article/bill-polian-wishes-he-drafted-andy-dalton-in-2011

But Pagano and Grigson are the Andy Dalyon of Coaches and GMs

I find it surprising Polian thinks one pick would have solidified his job in Indy. He didn't build his empire with one pick (although it did help), and he wasn't going to save it with one.

Dalton is a nice QB, but he's not good enough to cover up the flaws we had. 

So we got Castanzo and ended up with Luck because he never made that pick . We would have never had that 2-14 season could still have Polian as a GM and who knows who would the coach would be . I'm very glad things went down the way they did even though that down year was hard to watch but it brought us Luck/Grigs /PAgano so it's hard to see that year as a total loss .

That year was total football hell and not even because of the record, That team was just ridiculously awful to watch, 2-14 would have been tough to watch no matter what but 2-14 with at least some competent play would have been acceptable, I mean its not like many of us did not know what what was going to happen, With all that said, It worked out and 11-12 years from now if we happen to be in that same position again and another high prospect at QB is there for our taking then so be it

haha. That's not even remotely true. They had Gresham, Eifert, Marvin Jones, Sanu and Andrew Hawkins last year. Not to mention one of the best olines in the NFL. He has more weapons than 75% of the league.

That there's quite an underwhelming list.

I admire the Bengals OL, and D, but their skill positions are pretty eh, aside from AJ, and perhaps Bernard (coming up).

Yes, that includes Dalton, but he's not blessed with fantastic tools, and making them worse.

JMO, of course.

Glad that he didn't draft Dalton. Polian was good at his job early on but as soon as we won the SB he got cocky. His draft skills dropped horribly. Bad picks or trading picks away. Yes I know others will say that Grigson has done the same thing today. But Polian and his son had to go even if Manning wasn't hurt. 

All run-of-the-mill type players. There's no one on your list that scares defensives

Andy Dalton = slightly upgraded Mark Sanchez

:lol: Before I chime in on this one rock8591, I gotta see a side by side picture of Sanchez & Dalton wearing a ladies headband first. LOL! Now that would be hilarious. 

pa9pIzL.jpg

If we drafted Dalton he would have only been our QB for the 2011 season. Andy Dalton = no number 1 pick which equates to Peyton not being cut.

Polian clearly favors Peyton to the Colts. Which I don't blame him. He has no reason to favor the Colts to his players. He was successful with the Bills and Panthers. It's not like the Colts were his only achievement.

Polian has said this many times before. What I think he means by that is if that if he drafted Dalton, he would probably still be the GM of the Colts trying to win a Super Bowl behind Peyton.

I don't know why some of you think drafting Dalton means he would be our quarterback. He would have just been the saving grace in 2011. Most likely traded sometime during 2012 when it became clear Peyton can still play.

Great post FX! Best take on this scenario that I have ever heard articulated. Bravo Mr. Stryker! Bravo!  :worthy: