Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

moncrief-some praise for our new wr

CR91

Moncrief showed no ill effects of missing any OTA time as he made an impressive back shoulder reception, against blanketed coverage, on a fourth-down play near the goal line late in practice.

Veteran cornerback Greg Toler made sure to approach Moncrief on Wednesday and let the 20-year old know how difficult of a cover he was during OTA No. 6.

“He’s great showing his hands at the last minute,” Toler said of what he told Moncrief. “He’s great with his body position like these long passes he caught these last two days. He shows his hands to the DBs late because we are taught to play hands and eyes. He shields them off and just does a great job with his body. “If he keeps working, I think he’ll be great.”

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He da beast!! With him and t.y. streching the field and reggie working the slot, the oposing defenses are gonna have hard time.. anything nicks contributes will surely be a massive upgrade over dhb and with our tight ends healthy, man, the sky's the limit.. can't wait for the season to start!

Fleener also smokes them all the time deep. Maybe with more time to look Andrew will see him AND get the ball there in time.

Having another speedy deep threat that can Catch is a big plus.

Can you imagine when we do get our ground game going the pressure that will be on the corners and safeties. uhhhhhh eeeeee!! It`s coming.

I will Enjoy the Journey but where we are at in December.... is what i most look forward to. Go Colts!

Moncrief, Nicks, Rogers, Hilton, Allen, Fleener... Look at all the young TE's and receivers we have. 

Wowsa! You add Reggie, a nice young possession receiver in Whalen, and a solid project in TE Jack Doyle.

I give our GM and his Team a Solid A on that part of his Monster Build. :thmup:

At first I was disappointed at getting a receiver because it thought Hicks addressed that deficiency. I've come around! The receivers will be a handful to contain this season, and if either Reggie or Hakeem are not back next season for whatever reasons, we're still loaded. If Rodgers continues to prove his maturity, I have to think he'll be on the roster. Not so sure about Brazill (as he has already been suspended once) or Grif though. I have to think at least one is in danger of not making roster.

At first I was disappointed at getting a receiver because it thought Hicks addressed that deficiency. I've come around! The receivers will be a handful to contain this season, and if either Reggie or Hakeem are not back next season for whatever reasons, we're still loaded. If Rodgers continues to prove his maturity, I have to think he'll be on the roster. Not so sure about Brazill (as he has already been suspended once) or Grif though. I have to think at least one is in danger of not making roster.

Well obviously Nicks, Hilton, Wayne, Moncrief and Rogers are locks to make the roster pretty much (Barring a dumb move by Rogers). So that leaves Brazill and Whalen, it just depends how many WR's the coaches want to keep on the active roster I guess. 

Wowsa! You add Reggie, a nice young possession receiver in Whalen, and a solid project in TE Jack Doyle.

I give our GM and his Team a Solid A on that part of his Monster Build. :thmup:

Whalen has the small matter of beating out Brazil before we can add him and that is if we keep 6 could be saying good bye to both assuming Roger's wins a spot.

Really Rogers Whalen and Brazil could be battling for 1 spot on the roster. I hope we find a way to keep 6 but 5 would not surprise me.

Well obviously Nicks, Hilton, Wayne, Moncrief and Rogers are locks to make the roster pretty much (Barring a dumb move by Rogers). So that leaves Brazill and Whalen, it just depends how many WR's the coaches want to keep on the active roster I guess. 

I am not sure what gives Roger's the inside track over Brazil or Whalen. One good game and a big catch in the playoffs. I know the upside and all that I also remember some dropped balls.

Brazil had the best game out of any of them in playoffs. Whalen had the best overall stats. Brazil and Whalen both have PR history and Brazil KR as well. I would suggest a very strong camp for Mr. Rogers those three could be battling for one slot

Whalen has the small matter of beating out Brazil before we can add him and that is if we keep 6 could be saying good bye to both assuming Roger's wins a spot.

Really Rogers Whalen and Brazil could be battling for 1 spot on the roster. I hope we find a way to keep 6 but 5 would not surprise me.

With ??? marks surrounding Reggie & Nicks ony keeping 5 would surprise me, but I like Griff & Brazil, so I want to see those guys kept around if at all possible, seems like a waste of talent letting either of those guys go...

The really unfortunate event will be if the team has to let one of the guys,( i.e. Whalen, Rodgers,or Brazil) go and then later in the season the team is faced with a WR injury and the aforementioned player isn't available because they will surely get picked up by another squad...

I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but all three Brazil, Whalen, & Rodgers are no longer available for PS, or?????

Yeah as long as our WR core can stay healthy we have one of the best if not the best in the league and they are all pretty young besides Wayne! We could continue having this great WR and TE or for years to come!

Trade bait? Could use future picks. Don't want to become the old redskins (limited picks every year) . That really hurt this year!

No, Reggie and Nicks only have a year on their contracts now. We will need Moncrief next year.

The bigger question is what we are gonna do with Brazil and Whalen this year.

Not taking anything away from Moncrief, but beating Toler isn't very hard. When Vontae says something positive, I'll be more impressed.

Still can't wait to see Moncrief in action!

You beat me to it. Toler is also recovering from injuries.

Not taking anything away from Moncrief, but beating Toler isn't very hard. When Vontae says something positive, I'll be more impressed. 

Still can't wait to see Moncrief in action!

I knew it was coming....

I knew it was coming....

same here...frankly I'm surprised it took as long as it did.

As for the question about why Rogers has the inside track over Brazill, I think it's telling that the coaches made Rogers the starter last year down the stretch and not Brazill.  Last year, Brazill played in 10 games but made 0 starts, whereas Rogers had 3 starts in his 5 games played.  That's enough to tell me that Brazill needs to beat our Rogers to make the team rather than the other way around.  Now Rogers definitely can't get complacent or just assume the job will be his of course, but I think right now it'd be his job to lose.

I think we only stick with 6 receivers, personally I'd take Whalen over Brazill. Moncrief, Nicks and Rogers all have the skill set that Brazill does but we dont have another receiver on the roster like Whalen. He is great in traffic and is a great chain mover/possession receiver.

I think we only stick with 6 receivers, personally I'd take Whalen over Brazill. Moncrief, Nicks and Rogers all have the skill set that Brazill does but we dont have another receiver on the roster like Whalen. He is great in traffic and is a great chain mover/possession receiver.

Wayne is great in traffic and a great chain mover/possession receiver.  If Wayne is on the field and close to 100%, there is no need for Whalen.  Brazzill, Rogers, and Moncrief all have much greater big-play potential, more ability to stretch the field, more ability to create space for Wayne and our TE's to be great possession receivers, and I think Rogers actually has pretty good potential as a possession type of receiver. 

Anyone can argue about our so pronounced wide receiver injury concerns for this year (bouncing back and stuff) but NO ONE can argue about the future.. 

The Future Cast:

WR - T.Y. Hilton (everywhere), Moncreif (outside monster), Da Rick Rogers (3rd man).........drafted talent 

TE - Allen, Fleener, Swoope

That stuff is pretty good if you ask me...we got speed, size, catching ability, blockers, etc.

** I have to reiterate what "jineetp" has stated and what I've said all along, WR Moncreif, WR Da Rick Rogers, WR TY Hilton, TE Allen, & TE Fleener and going to make a HUGE starting line up as they gain experience!!  THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT FOLKS!  And now with our improved O-Line & D-Line...WOW!!  START THE SEASON ALREADY & GO COLTS!! **

Wayne is great in traffic and a great chain mover/possession receiver.  If Wayne is on the field and close to 100%, there is no need for Whalen.  Brazzill, Rogers, and Moncrief all have much greater big-play potential, more ability to stretch the field, more ability to create space for Wayne and our TE's to be great possession receivers, and I think Rogers actually has pretty good potential as a possession type of receiver. 

I hear what you are saying with Reggie being able to cover Whalens abilities, but Reggie more than likely will retire after this year... what then?

I hear what you are saying with Reggie being able to cover Whalens abilities, but Reggie more than likely will retire after this year... what then?

Whalen was an undrafted free-agent -- he is a very good player, I am not denying that -- but he is nowhere near being able to be considered 'irreplaceable'.  There are plenty of guys that can fill his role for very cheap.

TY Hilton, Hakeem Nicks, Donte Moncrief, Da'Rick Rogers, Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener. That then.

TY yes, sure thats one.

Donte Moncrief hasnt even played a single NFL down yet and therefore cannot be taken for granted as a sure thing. 

Nicks might not even be here after next season if he plays crap;.... equally so if he plays extremely well and demands too much $.

Rogers is by no means a sure thing to be a great starter, the potential is there but he still has a long way to go... Even if he and Nicks stay around they dont possess the same skill set that Whalen does (possession/chain mover in the slot).

Allen and Fleener are TE's so not really up for discussion here. Im talking WR spots. So far we have TY as a lock for the future because he is proven... literally all the other WR's have question marks surrounding them for one reason or another... Not saying they wont play great and develop into great players, but we cant know that yet...

Ergo... if Reggie retires... then what...

TY yes, sure thats one.

Donte Moncrief hasnt even played a single NFL down yet and therefore cannot be taken for granted as a sure thing. 

Nicks might not even be here after next season if he plays crap;.... equally so if he plays extremely well and demands too much $.

Rogers is by no means a sure thing to be a great starter, the potential is there but he still has a long way to go... Even if he and Nicks stay around they dont possess the same skill set that Whalen does (possession/chain mover in the slot).

Allen and Fleener are TE's so not really up for discussion here. Im talking WR spots. So far we have TY as a lock for the future because he is proven... literally all the other WR's have question marks surrounding them for one reason or another... Not saying they wont play great and develop into great players, but we cant know that yet...

Ergo... if Reggie retires... then what...

You're putting the cart before the horse. We drafted Moncrief, signed Nicks, and have 3 young WRs with potential. Chances are at least 1 or more of that group will be the "then what" if Reggie retires after this year, which isn't a given. Actually, I would put money on Reggie being back for at least 2 more seasons. Reggie's a freak.

Anyway, wasn't your point that we needed a Whalen like guy who "is great in traffic and is a great chain mover/possession receiver" if Reggie is gone? And then you ignore the TEs who are probably the best at that, especially Allen. Interesting.

Ergo, what the hell, mate?

You're putting the cart before the horse. We drafted Moncrief, signed Nicks, and have 3 young WRs with potential. Chances are at least 1 or more of that group will be the "then what" if Reggie retires after this year, which isn't a given. Actually, I would put money on Reggie being back for at least 2 more seasons. Reggie's a freak.

Anyway, wasn't your point that we needed a Whalen like guy who "is great in traffic and is a great chain mover/possession receiver" if Reggie is gone? And then you ignore the TEs who are probably the best at that, especially Allen. Interesting.

Ergo, what the hell, mate?

You are equally putting the cart before the horse... Yeah sure at least one of the 3 will come good, i'll stipulate to that, but you are assuming that Nicks is A) going to be back to his pro bowl form, B) going to stick around even if he does... and C) that you "would put money on" Reggie being back for 2 more seasons....

Those are three questionable assumptions. Im not sayin they wont happen, but you cant just assume this sort of stuff. The point i am merely trying to make is that Whalen poses more benefit to us with his skill set than Brazill does to us in the event of Reggie retiring (which is more likely than him returning imo)

Im not disregarding the TE's either, especially Allen. They will be key parts of this offense no doubt, but you cant have both of the TE's out there every single play of the game can you? You need depth.

Anyone can argue about our so pronounced wide receiver injury concerns for this year (bouncing back and stuff) but NO ONE can argue about the future..

The Future Cast:

WR - T.Y. Hilton (everywhere), Moncreif (outside monster), Da Rick Rogers (3rd man).........drafted talent

TE - Allen, Fleener, Swoope

That stuff is pretty good if you ask me...we got speed, size, catching ability, blockers, etc.

Nicks is only 26 and could be here as long as anyone on that list.

You are equally putting the cart before the horse... Yeah sure at least one of the 3 will come good, i'll stipulate to that, but you are assuming that Nicks is A) going to be back to his pro bowl form, B) going to stick around even if he does... and C) that you "would put money on" Reggie being back for 2 more seasons....

Those are three questionable assumptions. Im not sayin they wont happen, but you cant just assume this sort of stuff. The point i am merely trying to make is that Whalen poses more benefit to us with his skill set than Brazill does to us in the event of Reggie retiring (which is more likely than him returning imo)

Im not disregarding the TE's either, especially Allen. They will be key parts of this offense no doubt, but you cant have both of the TE's out there every single play of the game can you? You need depth.

As long as they're healthy, both of the TEs will see the field more than Whalen ever will. I think we can call that an educated guess, rather than an assumption.

I think you're putting way too much stock in Whalen. When Reggie does leave I highly doubt Whalen will be the player we are looking to for help. If Whalen even stick on the squad he will be the 5th or 6th WR and won't see much action at all. I also think it's safe to assume that one or more of Nicks, Moncrief, Rogers, and/or Brazill will be able to help fill Reggie's void, certainly more so than one, Griff Whalen.

Referring to Nicks, I didn't say A) and B): Do I believe Nicks will be back in top form? Yes. Do I believe he will be back as a Colt next year? I hope so. As for Reggie coming back for a 2nd year, that's just my gut feeling. I think if he worked this hard to be back for the season he's going to want another season if he can still play like he was last year prior to the injury. I'm certainly not taking it for granted that he'll be here 2 more years.

My original point in response to your "what then?" post, was that all of those guys; Nicks, Moncrief, Rogers, Brazill, Allen, and Fleener have a much better chance and/or are much more viable candidates to help fill Reggie's void than Whalen.