Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Receivers

Flash7

I think that we can agree that Hilton, Wayne and Nicks are going to be our day 1 starters. We will also have our bench players and then our practice squad players. Let's discuss how you see the line-up.

Here's what I think:

Starters:

1. Wayne

2. Hilton

3. Nicks

Subs/Bench

1. Rogers

2. Moncrief

3. Whalen or Brazill (Interested in seeing how this works out). I have Whalen ahead of Brazill.

http://coltsauthority.com/2014-articles/ca-free-agent-profiles-wr-hakeem-nicks.html

Practice Squad:

Undrafted Free Agents

I like Whalen more than Brazil too. I think we'll end up trading Brazil before the season starts.

Whoever is more valuable on STs will win the spot IMO. I'm not sure Brazil has much trade value, maybe a conditional 7. I like them both but I don't think either see the field unless there's an injury.

Good seasoned backups though.

Also, I currently have Rogers ahead of Moncrief. Some believe that Rogers has #1 potential, and others believe that Moncrief will be our future #1.

Personally, I think T.Y. is our future #1, and if Nicks regains his form and stays with the Colts, he too can contend for that spot.

Also, I currently have Rogers ahead of Moncrief. Some believe that Rogers has #1 potential, and others believe that Moncrief will be our future #1.

Personally, I think T.Y. is our future #1, and if Nicks regains his form and stays with the Colts, he too can contend for that spot.

While TY is a great receiver he don't have the size to be the #1. He is better lined up against the right matchups. Don't get me wrong because I feel TY has the talent but size does matter. Plus TY don't have what you would call great hands. That could be due to his lack of size I suppose.

While TY is a great receiver he don't have the size to be the #1. He is better lined up against the right matchups. Don't get me wrong because I feel TY has the talent but size does matter. Plus TY don't have what you would call great hands. That could be due to his lack of size I suppose.

Right matchups? T.Y. torched whoever was across from him at times this year whether it be Aqib Talib or Richard Sherman, so I don't get that statement. 

yea but his route running ability is significantly worse than Moncrief's, and his speed is a little worse as well.

Thats the only knock on Rogers play is route running and playing with Reggie will fix that if they stick with him and Moncreif our WRs will be big young and fantastic. I think we should just rent nicks this year no matter how he plays so we can really get these young stud WRs out there next season

Respectfully, I would disagree with you regarding T.Y.  Yes, absolutely size matters, but it's not the primary factor to consider. T.Y. can get open and has done so consistently. His first two years in the league have been nothing short of amazing. Also, I had included a link in my initial post. If you go to the statistical comparison option, you will see that T.Y. actually had the lowest drop rate of all of the Colts receivers- thus, he does have great hands.

No way should Moncrief be above Rogers on the depth chart.

1. Reggie

2. TY

3. Nicks

4. Rogers

5. Moncrief

6. Brazill/Whalen

The question should be: how many receivers are we carrying on the 53 man roster?

Last season the Colts kept 5 on the 53 most of the time. And kept at least one on the PS.

I think Reggie, TY & Nicks are 53 locks.

Moncrief as a 3rd round pick, would have to play really bad, to get cut. If they put him on the PS he'd mosl likely be picked up.

So that leaves Brazil, Whalen & Rogers fight it out for the 5th spot.

Brazil easily had the best season in receptions. Followed by Whalen (who also returned punts) then Rogers.

Preseason games, injuries, special teams & practice will determine who gets that last spot.

They could keep 6 but that of course takes away from other positions.

One of the smart moves to me is to nurture Moncreif throughout the year but don't play him much - if at all - until the playoffs. That way - there won't be any tape on him and no one will have much of a clue about how to defend him.

I know there are inherent risks involved but I honestly think this could be a stellar plan. Indeed a "secret weapon" for the playoffs.

ColtsHappy

One of the smart moves to me is to nurture Moncreif throughout the year but don't play him much - if at all - until the playoffs. That way - there won't be any tape on him and no one will have much of a clue about how to defend him.

I know there are inherent risks involved but I honestly think this could be a stellar plan. Indeed a "secret weapon" for the playoffs.

ColtsHappy

Not a great plan. If the guy shows himself to be capable of playing and helping the team, why would you not get him on the field?

Not a great plan. If the guy shows himself to be capable of playing and helping the team, why would you not get him on the field?

I suspect he'll get a few snaps each game and more as the season goes on. He'll have a couple routes that they'll go to until he learns the playbook and Luck is comfortable with him.

What's going to be very interesting is seeing who gets more snaps between him and Rogers. They're basically the same type of receiver.

I think that we can agree that Hilton, Wayne and Nicks are going to be our day 1 starters. We will also have our bench players and then our practice squad players. Let's discuss how you see the line-up.

Here's what I think:

Starters:

1. Wayne

2. Hilton

3. Nicks

Subs/Bench

1. Rogers

2. Moncrief

3. Whalen or Brazill (Interested in seeing how this works out). I have Whalen ahead of Brazill.

http://coltsauthority.com/2014-articles/ca-free-agent-profiles-wr-hakeem-nicks.html

Practice Squad:

Undrafted Free Agents

I don't see Whalen beating Brazil.

I would also put Moncrief ahead of Rogers.

Moncrief will be 4th on the depth chart. The chances of both Nicks and Wayne staying healthy all season is slim, Moncrief will eventually be the 3rd WR. 

I don't think Wayne or Nicks will be back next year. If Nicks does great he'll want too much money, if he plays average again will let him go. Moncrief, T.Y, and Rogers will be the future WR's of the Colts and starters next year.  

My opinion is:

1. It takes receivers a long time be deemed capable - for a variety of reasons already mentioned over and over.

2. Until the injury bug hits we have plenty of quality guys.

3. I remember the days when the Colts always seemed to have a trick up their sleeves. Would like to go back to it once in a while.

ColtsHappy

I don't see Whalen beating Brazil.

I would also put Moncrief ahead of Rogers.

Regarding Whalen and Brazill, honestly asking if you had a minute to click in the link provided and viewed the statistical analysis of the Colts receivers? Whalen is well ahead of Brazill in measurable categories, however, Brazill is more atheletic.

Regarding Rogers and Moncrief, they're similar with Roger's being a more physical "fight for the ball" type receiver and Moncrief as a smoother, higher top speed player. Both need to work on their route running. I put Rogers ahead in that he has a year ahead of Moncrief to get the play book down.

I just really hope Grigs doesn't trade Rogers. I'm concerned about it, but surely he wouldn't trade a guy with that kind of potential. I think we'll carry 6 WR's. Either Whalen will be cut (He shouldn't be), or Brazil will be traded for a 6th or 7th rounder, but I don't think there's any way we roll with 7 wide outs.

I like Whalen more than Brazil too. I think we'll end up trading Brazil before the season starts.

Same thing I was thinking.brazil is odd man out.

I think the starters are:

-Wayne(if healthy)

-Nicks

-Hilton

But the future receiving corps is probably:

-Moncrief

-Hilton

-Rodgers/Nicks

Moncrief could, but not likely be a #1 on an NFL team. his 4.4 combine speed was good, but that is the fastest anyone has seen him go. He is a more consistent 4.49-4.55 range. However, his hands and route running will improve if Wayne is willing to work with him. I could see Moncrief as a possible Marques Colston. And I don't know about the starters. With Nicks and Wayne getting older, it will help the younger guys get more  playing time. Anyways Feed Moncrief!

Moncrief could, but not likely be a #1 on an NFL team. his 4.4 combine speed was good, but that is the fastest anyone has seen him go. He is a more consistent 4.49-4.55 range. However, his hands and route running will improve if Wayne is willing to work with him. I could see Moncrief as a possible Marques Colston. And I don't know about the starters. With Nicks and Wayne getting older, it will help the younger guys get more  playing time. Anyways Feed Moncrief!

Could it just look that way because he's a long-strider? Typically those guys look a lot slower than they actually are running (Kaepernick, Newton, ect...)

Ok, I am a totally bandwagon Ole Miss fan that followed Moncrief to the NFL because I like ole miss players doing well better than certain teams. As a season ticket holder, I have seen him play many times. He is fast. If anyone watched the 2012 Ole Miss LSU game he caught a pass at the 50 and out juked pro bowl rookie Eric Reid for a touchdown. He is fast. He could be 4.3 fast but not consistently. He is not a mike wallace (also out of ole miss) but he can run vertically. Its when he cuts that he slows down. 

Here is the bottom line about Moncrief:   The Kid is devoted. He loves fans, loves his team, and his school. The only reason he left early is because he has a daughter and is from one of the poorest towns in Mississippi an his family desperately needs money. He works hard, and has big play ability. He will block to save anyones life on running or screen plays. 

He does catch with his body, but he will use his hands if needed. He does not cut sharp, and it slows him down. On the upside, he is strong and a fighter. I hope that Feed Moncrief will catch on in Indy because currently this is my new favorite team due to him 

It's hard though because all of the receivers have something to offer. Whalen isn't amazing at any one thing but he has a history with Luck and he's a tough slot guy, like Austin Collie 2.0. Brazil, I have said time and time again, is a T.Y. Hilton substitute. Same measurables(although Hilton is probably faster) and same type of receiver (big play burners). Rodgers has the size and he can make the tough catches and "go up and get it" as people like to say.

I'll admit there is something about Whalen though. You just can't help but love a guy who is a high character player and is sure handed. He isn't great at any one thing but he's so solid all around, that it makes him reliable. His ceiling may be a bit higher than Brazil too. Whalen's floor is Austin Collie, and his ceiling is Welker. Only thing is Welker could play on the outside, which I don't think Whalen can.

Thats the only knock on Rogers play is route running and playing with Reggie will fix that if they stick with him and Moncreif our WRs will be big young and fantastic. I think we should just rent nicks this year no matter how he plays so we can really get these young stud WRs out there next season

I don't get why everyone is high on unproven people like rogers and then feel we should drop Nicks, a proven talent, even if he returns to vintage form. Makes no since.

What the heck has rogers done besides run horrible routes and made a few catches? Are his hands any good?

Would you really just drop nicks if he put up 15 touchdowns over 1,000 yards so you can see rogers run his horrible rounded routes?

He is just a guy!

I don't get why everyone is high on unproven people like rogers and then feel we should drop Nicks, a proven talent, even if he returns to vintage form. Makes no since.

What the heck has rogers done besides run horrible routes and made a few catches? Are his hands any good?

Would you really just drop nicks if he put up 15 touchdowns over 1,000 yards so you can see rogers run his horrible rounded routes?

He is just a guy!

Well most importantly if nicks returns to form then he's going to cost a lot of money to keep. And rogers has far more ability than youre giving him credit for

He is just a guy!

And ok if Nicks returns to his old form he will cost a ton and Rogers has tons of talent that your obviously ignoring and will cost us way less as I mentioned Rogers had one if the best showing by a WR at the combine was good or great in every drill

I'm not sure we can write Wayne in as the #1 guy at this point.  

A player in his mid 30's just coming off an ACL tear?  

Everyone loves Reggie Wayne I get that but he may not do much this year.  I could actually see the guy falling to #4 on the depth charts.  

As far as Rogers/Moncrief.  Everything I'm reading about Moncrief says he's really raw and likely won't make a big impact until next year.  I think Rogers will be above him at least for this year.

Tell that to Richard Sherman and Aqib Talib....