Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kiper gives Colts draft grade D +

The Old Crow

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I scored it a B-. And TBH, I don't see what pick you could argue was bad given who was available at the time. There weren't any good pass rushers at 59, and all the good corners and safety's were gone.

Even in the 3rd, Moncrief was the best player regardless of position. I think the we did good considering we lacked a 1st round pick and we drafted at the bottom of every round. Personally, I don't think there was a better player on the board with most of our picks. Had we had our 1st round pick It would have looked the same except with a guy like Ward or Hageman added to the haul, which is a shame that Richardson cost us one of them.

It was a good draft but people's boards and rankings were so off. A lot of guys went a lot later than expected. That's where I think the dissatisfaction with our draft comes from with some people. No one wants to admit they were wrong. 

All the good corners and safeties weren't gone. But evidently the evaluations from Grigson and his staff weren't all that kind for players like Brooks, Exum, Dontae Johnson, McGill, etc., etc. Lots of defensive backs who could play corner/safety for us, although not all of them were worthy of being picked 59 or 90.

I'm fine with the players we drafted. I can guarantee that I would have drafted a DB, but I'm not the GM (in case you were wondering). But anyone complaining about any of the players we took really doesn't know what they're talking about, IMO. Mewhort, Moncrief, Newsome and Jackson are all really good prospects, and all have a great chance of making the roster and contributing. I don't know anything about Ulrick John...

All the good corners and safeties weren't gone. But evidently the evaluations from Grigson and his staff weren't all that kind for players like Brooks, Exum, Dontae Johnson, McGill, etc., etc. Lots of defensive backs who could play corner/safety for us, although not all of them were worthy of being picked 59 or 90.

I'm fine with the players we drafted. I can guarantee that I would have drafted a DB, but I'm not the GM (in case you were wondering). But anyone complaining about any of the players we took really doesn't know what they're talking about, IMO. Mewhort, Moncrief, Newsome and Jackson are all really good prospects, and all have a great chance of making the roster and contributing. I don't know anything about Ulrick John...

Not anyone who was a blue chip player though. The blue chip guys at Safety were Ward, Bucannon, Pryor, and Dix. At CB it was Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller, Verrett, and Roby. The fact the other guys didn't go until a lot later is proof they weren't even in the same league. The next safeties didn't even come off the board until the 3rd and they were Southward and Brooks. And I think they would have been reaches at 59, although not by a lot.

Not anyone who was a blue chip player though. The blue chip guys at Safety were Ward, Bucannon, Pryor, and Dix. At CB it was Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller, Verrett, and Roby. The fact the other guys didn't go until a lot later is proof they weren't even in the same league. The next safeties didn't even come off the board until the 3rd and they were Southward and Brooks. And I think they would have been reaches at 59, although not by a lot.

Yeah I'm not saying they were the hottest prospects, but they were there. And I suppose a trade back would have been an option if they were the targets. Pick up an extra fourth or fifth and take Dontae Johnson later. But I'm fine Mewhort....

Yeah I'm not saying they were the hottest prospects, but they were there. And I suppose a trade back would have been an option if they were the targets. Pick up an extra fourth or fifth and take Dontae Johnson later. But I'm fine Mewhort....

Grigson said in his press conference that they thought the safety class wasn't deep and had there been a safety they liked, they would've got them. I took that as him saying the safety's they would've picked were the 4 that went in the first round. Which means Mewhort had to have been the ideal pick as soon as the first round ended and Hageman was snatched up.

Only thing about Mewhort was that an O-lineman at that pick after all that waiting was kind of anti-climatic lol. Good pick that I loved, but it caught me off guard. IDK what Kiper is smoking though

Watched alot of film on Ulrick myself and I think he is a fit at RT, Dont have the feet of a LT, Struggles to get to second level and hit his target and will slip off the block when he does get there to often, Does flash a strong hand punch though, Has long arms, Skinny lower half I think where he needs to add bulk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PeNHPTcjcQ

All just my opinions of course

Ok my thoughts on this are. 1. We got much needed depth at our O-line. which was more of a need then at safety.  Gotta keep luck off his back.

2. All of you that think Grigson is so terrible.  If you are such a genius, why are you not a gm or even a scout for a pro team.  Obviously they no more then you.  And they spend a lot more time looking at tape and going to games then you would even think about doing.  They obviously seen what they liked in the tape.  I am happy with the draft.  

We don't need a WR?

You think Reggie is gonna play forever?

Or let me guess. You're one of those guys who had already projected Rogers as the next Rice, and Whalen as the next Welker...

No, we didn't need a WR.

No, I don't think Reggie will play forever. I do however expect him to play at minimum next season. And I could easily see him play two seasons.

No, I'm not someone who believes Rogers/Whalen is the next WR superstar in the NFL. The same goes for Brazill for that matter.

But I do think that for the coming season, a WR corps of Reggie, Nicks, T.Y., Brazill, Rogers and Whalen would have been more than sufficient. In fact I think that we were better at WR than any other team I can think of, in terms of quality depth.

Last I heard, there will also be a draft in 2015 and most likely also in 2016 (I hear they at least thinking about it), and I've also heard that college WRs will be able to declare for that draft as well, so we might be able to find a WR in the draft at some point, if we really need one, and can't find one that's any good in FA.

Drafting a WR just because we might need him in a year or two is just fine, because it gives the coaches time to develop him, but taking a CB or a FS for depth and development is just plain wrong? Even if we have no depth at all at those positions, but have a ton of WRs?

Yes, Moncrief is a good player, but he wasn't the only good player left in the draft, and I feel that Grigson could have spent the pick better then on a WR.

Clearly you don't understand how the draft works.  Grigson and Pagano didn't think there was a safety available that was better than anyone already on the roster.  Simply drafting a player because he plays a position of need doesn't make it a good pick.

I agree that picking for need isn't always a smart move.

But the same case could also be made for using your picks at a position where you already have a ton of quality.

And to be honest, when you have zero depth outside someone who is transitioning to Safety, perhaps picking up someone in the late rounds wouldn't have been more of a gamble than Ulrich John, Andrew Jackson or Jonathan Newsome.

Sometimes it seems like a lot of posters on this board thinks that whatever Grigson decides, it just the right decision by default. Pure perfection, it's impossible for him to make a bad call.

- Holmes is going to be "all that",

- Thornton is going to be a good NFL caliber Guard.

- The T-Rich saga

- Last years draft

- Heyward-Bey

Grigson is not somehow "The Immaculate GM", he makes mistakes like every other GM and every other person I've come across in my life. It's not black/white. Some calls are good to varying degrees, other are, shall we say, less than good, to varying degrees.

If you're onboard the "In Grigson we trust" train, where everything Grigson does is all kittens and rainbows, and this years draft was "a slamdunk if there ever was one", then please stay in your seat.

This years draft was, just like last year, beige at best.

I would challenge you to find me a fan of any other NFL team, that looks at our draft this year and says "I wish my team had a draft like the Colts". It would be easy for me to find 10 teams I would love to trade drafts with, even if we don't even count first round picks..

Ok my thoughts on this are. 1. We got much needed depth at our O-line. which was more of a need then at safety. Gotta keep luck off his back.

2. All of you that think Grigson is so terrible. If you are such a genius, why are you not a gm or even a scout for a pro team. Obviously they no more then you. And they spend a lot more time looking at tape and going to games then you would even think about doing. They obviously seen what they liked in the tape. I am happy with the draft.

Well, you're not a genius GM either, so your opinion doesn't matter

I agree with him, this was the worst draft out of all 32 teams. Moncrief was the only great pick and he might not see the field much because of Wayne and Nicks.

the kid from ball state could be a really good pick.  i think he's got his head on straight now and they did a lot of vetting.

Maybe I mistook what you were trying to say.  It looked like you were saying that Kiper suggested that we pass on Faulk to choose Dilfer -- which is VERY different than saying that they should have passed on Alberts to draft Dilfer.  In either case, it's true that Kiper's argument was focused on Dilfer vs. Harbaugh and not so much about who we chose with the pick.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

I was originally talking about taking Alberts over Dilfer started the whole Dilfer- Harbaugh deal. I had just watched the thing on NFL networks Top 10 draft debacles , or something. The argument was Harbaugh - Dilfer , but Kiper thought Tobin should have picked Dilfer over Alberts because he was a franchise quarterback. He thought of Harbaugh as a back up.

I saw some NFL network analysts give the Colts a C - . Their main argument was Richardson was in fact, the Colts top pick, and they believed it wasn't a good one. Also, not having many draft picks in a very deep draft, also brought the Colts grade down. From what I could see, Mewhort was the seventh ranked tackle in the draft, but is projected as a guard in the NFL. If you guys drafted Moncrief, he has to be good.

You guys had a playoff caliber team last year, and I understand why Grigson may have reached for a running back like Richardson. The good news is you have Luck, and a pretty solid team already, with many guys coming back from injuries. If you get 2-3 starters out of a draft, it's generally a good thing. Who knows how this one will turn out. Like the Ravens, who still need a right tackle and back up corner, the Colts have remaining money to fill in the gaps. With Luck, a pretty good returning squad, and a weak division, the Colts fan should be optimistic.

I was originally talking about taking Alberts over Dilfer started the whole Dilfer- Harbaugh deal. I had just watched the thing on NFL networks Top 10 draft debacles , or something. The argument was Harbaugh - Dilfer , but Kiper thought Tobin should have picked Dilfer over Alberts because he was a franchise quarterback. He thought of Harbaugh as a back up.

Harbaugh really was a backup......and I was a Harbaugh fan...But he never had a season of 20 td's or more though he never threw alot of ints either....16 was the highest of his career and that was once....Alberts only  7 started games as well but did produce 4 sacks out of those 7 starts....And Dilfer despite game managing his way into a SB (And there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a game manager....Alot of QB's cant even do that) did not have a stellar career either

No, we didn't need a WR.

No, I don't think Reggie will play forever. I do however expect him to play at minimum next season. And I could easily see him play two seasons.

No, I'm not someone who believes Rogers/Whalen is the next WR superstar in the NFL. The same goes for Brazill for that matter.

But I do think that for the coming season, a WR corps of Reggie, Nicks, T.Y., Brazill, Rogers and Whalen would have been more than sufficient. In fact I think that we were better at WR than any other team I can think of, in terms of quality depth.

Last I heard, there will also be a draft in 2015 and most likely also in 2016 (I hear they at least thinking about it), and I've also heard that college WRs will be able to declare for that draft as well, so we might be able to find a WR in the draft at some point, if we really need one, and can't find one that's any good in FA.

Drafting a WR just because we might need him in a year or two is just fine, because it gives the coaches time to develop him, but taking a CB or a FS for depth and development is just plain wrong? Even if we have no depth at all at those positions, but have a ton of WRs?

Yes, Moncrief is a good player, but he wasn't the only good player left in the draft, and I feel that Grigson could have spent the pick better then on a WR.

Thing is, that pick allows us to use a first next year on DB, or whatever the dire need may be at that time.

As it is, we have Toler who will hopefully get healthy and contribute.  Butler has played quite well for us the past couple years.  Davis is talented without question.

The biggest quest is safety, but we do have a guy that put in some time last year that will help.

To me, we needed to get better at running the ball and stopping the run.  I think they did that.  The Moncrief pick made sense as he was simply too talented at that spot to pass up.  But we added a very talented lineman who could be either a G or C for us next season.  They add another guy who could potentially be better than McGlynn and some of the other guys we've had over the years.

And while I understand highlight films only show a players best (typically), Andrew Jackson appears to be the run stopping ILB that we have lacked.  To be honest, I like that pick about as much as the Moncrief pick.  At round 6, we lost very little while taking a chance on what appears to be a legitimately talented LB.

To me, the additions of Jones, Jackson, Jackson, and to an extent, the DE/OLB from this draft should help us stop the run.  That's been something that has cost us many playoff wins over the years.

Guest NDColts!!

Some if not all keep saying that Richardson was a bad trade for the first pick. This talk in my opinion seems to be across the board. and accepted by the s called NFL experts. Cleveland needed the pick more than the Colts, so grading the draft, and the who, what, when you take them and giving the Colts a C- to D- grade for the picks they made. Makes me realize what a show this process is. The COLTS coaches should be and are the experts that count and if they don't will be accountable, not the high class experts that no matter if right or wrong get paid.???

I agree that picking for need isn't always a smart move.

But the same case could also be made for using your picks at a position where you already have a ton of quality.

And to be honest, when you have zero depth outside someone who is transitioning to Safety, perhaps picking up someone in the late rounds wouldn't have been more of a gamble than Ulrich John, Andrew Jackson or Jonathan Newsome.

Sometimes it seems like a lot of posters on this board thinks that whatever Grigson decides, it just the right decision by default. Pure perfection, it's impossible for him to make a bad call.

- Holmes is going to be "all that",

- Thornton is going to be a good NFL caliber Guard.

- The T-Rich saga

- Last years draft

- Heyward-Bey

Grigson is not somehow "The Immaculate GM", he makes mistakes like every other GM and every other person I've come across in my life. It's not black/white. Some calls are good to varying degrees, other are, shall we say, less than good, to varying degrees.

If you're onboard the "In Grigson we trust" train, where everything Grigson does is all kittens and rainbows, and this years draft was "a slamdunk if there ever was one", then please stay in your seat.

This years draft was, just like last year, beige at best.

I would challenge you to find me a fan of any other NFL team, that looks at our draft this year and says "I wish my team had a draft like the Colts". It would be easy for me to find 10 teams I would love to trade drafts with, even if we don't even count first round picks..

Are you saying that we have a ton of quality at WR?

Can you explain how that is?

If we had a ton of quality, why didn't we beat the Patriots? Why did Andrew Luck throw 7 interceptions in the postseason if our passing game is such high quality?

I'm just trying to understand how you see a WR core that features:

-Aging Veteran coming off a serious injury

-Veteran who's been injured the past few years constantly

-One proven WR who can be very explosive but can disappear out of the game at times

-A poor man's Austin Collie who while is very good at moving the chains, can easily be replaced

- A WR who barely touches the field despite being here since Grigson got here

- And last but not least, a very raw WR who has the potential to be a good #1 but hasn't tapped into that potential yet

So explain to me how that's a high quality WR core?

I hope either Price, Gordy or one of these UDFA's lights it up in camp, because Toler WILL get hurt....AGAIN. Even if he was healthy, he's incredibly inconsistent.  

I still cannot believe we didn't get a safety in the draft, and only ONE as a UDFA. I mean we reached on O-linemen but we won't reach on safety? Wow. 

I hope either Price, Gordy or one of these UDFA's lights it up in camp, because Toler WILL get hurt....AGAIN. Even if he was healthy, he's incredibly inconsistent.  

I still cannot believe we didn't get a safety in the draft, and only ONE as a UDFA. I mean we reached on O-linemen but we won't reach on safety? Wow. 

I understand that Safety need, but did we actually reach for Mewhort (spelling?) All i have read is he was a 2nd round prospect - early third. We took him on that range.

I understand that Safety need, but did we actually reach for Mewhort (spelling?) All i have read is he was a 2nd round prospect - early third. We took him on that range.

Taking a player at a certain round really is in the eye of the beholder, There have been reaches that have not worked out and some reaches that have, What analysts may consider a reach Grigson may not consider a reach, What I consider a reach Grigson may or may not......Example: Kelvin Benjamin...He had alot of production in college but is slow and very unathletic at WR (4.61 40 and the tape shows it)....I personally would not have touched him at least till the 3rd because he is slow and struggles to disengage from Corners consistently and is raw but given a year or two could be a solid WR......But I think he is a better fit at TE if he just put on 10 pounds...That 4.61 40 would be tied for 3rd fastest at TE, He didn't even crack the top 15 at WR in the 40, His Vertical Jump would have been tied for 7th best at TE(32.5 inches)....Once again not close to top 15 at WR

Taking a player at a certain round really is in the eye of the beholder, There have been reaches that have not worked out and some reaches that have, What analysts may consider a reach Grigson may not consider a reach, What I consider a reach Grigson may or may not

well of coursei  agree. my point was we didnt reach based on "popular" scouting sites? 

Are you saying that we have a ton of quality at WR?

Can you explain how that is?

If we had a ton of quality, why didn't we beat the Patriots? Why did Andrew Luck throw 7 interceptions in the postseason if our passing game is such high quality?

I'm just trying to understand how you see a WR core that features:

-Aging Veteran coming off a serious injury

-Veteran who's been injured the past few years constantly

-One proven WR who can be very explosive but can disappear out of the game at times

-A poor man's Austin Collie who while is very good at moving the chains, can easily be replaced

- A WR who barely touches the field despite being here since Grigson got here

- And last but not least, a very raw WR who has the potential to be a good #1 but hasn't tapped into that potential yet

So explain to me how that's a high quality WR core?

:facepalm:

Yes, all 3 contribute to Luck's protection here's how

WR: Blazing speed enables him to get open in seconds giving Andrew a quick option from the start

DE: Contributes to our pass rush that can force sacks & bad throws/interceptions giving Andrew a shorter field to work with which usually means less opportunities for the defense to get to him

ILB: Much like the DE, he helps pass rush. But also helps coverage & run defense. Forces fumbles cause dude is a thumper therefore also creating shorter fields for Andrew

That's all for today's lesson on how a "Team" can help a "Player". There will be a pop quiz next Tuesday on this so I hope you all were paying attention.

Class dismissed *Rings Bell*

:colts:

:facepalm:

The WR won't see the field this year much.

The inside linebacker is weak in coverage. 

The DE is undersized and will struggle to crack the roster.

Possibly, but he needs to bulk up and get stronger. I don't see him playing much next year if not at all. Unfortunately, the Colts are in a win now mode before Luck starts to make 25 mil a year which will not allow us to keep other players. I think Seatrunk RB in the 5th round would have been a better pick then Newsome, we have no speed at RB. Ballard and Bradshaw are coming off of major injuries and Trent just isn't good, Rb is a huge need and we didn't address it.

the kid from ball state could be a really good pick.  i think he's got his head on straight now and they did a lot of vetting.

I meant this Ulrich john guy with two first names. I can add the LB's we took in there as reaches as well. 

Possibly, but he needs to bulk up and get stronger. I don't see him playing much next year if not at all. Unfortunately, the Colts are in a win now mode before Luck starts to make 25 mil a year which will not allow us to keep other players. I think Seatrunk RB in the 5th round would have been a better pick then Newsome, we have no speed at RB. Ballard and Bradshaw are coming off of major injuries and Trent just isn't good, Rb is a huge need and we didn't address it.

I disagree. We're not in win-now mode. If we were, you would've seen us more involved in the arms race that went on between New England and Denver. You also would've seen us address the secondary early in the draft, seeing as we have little depth. I think the moves made in the draft show Grigson is building for the future. Can we win it all next year? Sure. Do we look in good shape to do it (on paper, at least) next year? I'd say no. We'll make the playoffs but our roster still has too many holes in it right now, in my opinion

Many analyst and people from the NFL circle has the Colts being serious contenders to challenge the Patriots and Broncos in the playoffs. This is why we needed to draft IMPACT players instead of guys that will take 2 to 3 years to develop. This is why many people are questioning Grigson draft picks because he didn't address any needs. I'm not buying that Mewhort or Newsome was BPA when we drafted them, Brooks, Nix, Seatrunk would have been better picks.

I disagree. We're not in win-now mode. If we were, you would've seen us more involved in the arms race that went on between New England and Denver. You also would've seen us address the secondary early in the draft, seeing as we have little depth. I think the moves made in the draft show Grigson is building for the future. Can we win it all next year? Sure. Do we look in good shape to do it (on paper, at least) next year? I'd say no. We'll make the playoffs but our roster still has too many holes in it right now, in my opinion

I'll give credit where it's due, Grigson has been great at evaluating WR's and i do like the Moncrief pick. He's also good at finding DB's and getting the most out of them. At the same time he's been the opposite in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

I think we should have addressed the needs to knock off the Broncos and Patriots. If i can remember correctly we didn't lose to the Patriots because of our offense, we loss because we couldn't stop the run. Brady didn't throw on us much, Blount had a career day. We didn't get any push from the d-line none looked like starter material. There were plenty of defensive players available at 59 and in the 5th that could have helped us more then the two guys we drafted. Mewhort and Newsome aren't known for being good run stoppers, that's what we needed the most.

I meant this Ulrich john guy with two first names. I can add the LB's we took in there as reaches as well. 

Oh i see.

anyways i dont expect much of a 7th rounder so i dont  think we would have found our starting S there.

I didn't read all six pages of this thread but has anyone ever actually looked into Kiper's track record after-the-fact? Honest question. I'm curious to know if, say three years after he does his thing with the draft each year, he looks more like a prophet or more like a fool. My guess is the later but I'd love to see some kind of audit on his predictions/scouting reports. 

The people that "love" this draft must have rose-colored glasses on. Now I will hold off a year or 2 before "grading it" but don't expect good grades from analysts this week. 

I personally think we had one of the worst drafts this year. I was in shock of the picks that we made, except for Moncrief. But we don't even need a WR, like at all. We do however need CB/S (depth at least). I'm scared of our secondary, they have been ignored all offseason(except for re-signing Vontae) and it's going to come back to bite us.

I'm about ready for a new GM or at least new draft scouts because these guys have been TERRIBLE in early rounds the past 2 years. Late round picks are fine with me this year, look like they have great potential but really think drafting a CB or a safety could've made this draft look a lot better. We are not the 49ers, we can't just draft BPA everytime without addressing some key needs on this football team. 

I usually give it about a  year after the draft before I begin to make any negative judgement. It lets things sink in a little better.

I can understand Grigson's strategy in this draft and I liked it. 

We got a very good offensive lineman (Mewhort) who is versatile.

We stole a wide receiver and if he pans out then we saved a reach for a receiver in next years draft.

I would have taken Andrew Jackson earlier than Newsome, but both should at the very least contribute on special teams this year. Andrew Jackson could become a special player. There are some question marks that come with AJ, but his upside is tremendous. We have not had a middle (Inside) linebacker with this kind of skill-set and tenacity in a very long time.

For me it is time to be excited. If the picks don't pan out then I will call them out. I have called out the 2013 draft class, because it is severely under performing. 

Too early to tell anything about the 14 class.