Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kiper gives Colts draft grade D +

The Old Crow

There was alot of people better then Nix(Whos a 330+ pound laundry list of injuries) available....Including Mewhort

That's pretty much what I thought. Mewhort was clean in terms of injuries and he wasn't over-weight. Plus they didn't want to deviate from their plan. One the Patriots took Easely in the 1st, I knew Nix would free fall and there had to be something wrong

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Undoubtedly several players fell for various reasons, Many I think injuries that fans and media dont know about or other health concerns

And many are likely due to scout/public dissonance. We can all make good scouting reports and hit on tons of them, but everyone gets players wrong all the time. It's great to get excited and get interested and do the work scouting yourself, but people never want to admit they might have been wrong. It just doesn't happen.

The league doesn't often pass on players with legit 2nd to 3rd round grades entirely solely for non-career or long term ability threatening injuries. There are guys with that kind of ability drafted and redshirted often enough for me to think that it is possible some of these guys just were never rated too highly by the league.

I said nothing contrary to this. I don't presume to know, however.

Where do you get Richardson failed a drug test or has character issues? His tape is one of a massive underachiever who does not appear to know what to do with his hands. He certainly had a ton of upside, but drug test and character issues sound very presumptive. 

It's completely presumptive.    It goes back to my point.    When a guy you think is going to be drafted roughly around the 3rd or 4th round and he plays a position of need, a position in demand, and he goes completely undrafted....   then I assume there are unknown reasons far beyond what he does with his hands or that he's an underachiever.

He's got the physical tools alone to warrant being drafted.    A guy that big, that skilled, who played and started in SEC goes undrafted?    I think it's a very, very safe bet there are some other issues that have led to that happening.    He's either failed the physical for all 32 teams,  or has massive off the field issues.

See Rogers, DaRick just one year ago.     This happens every year.

That's pretty much what I thought. Mewhort was clean in terms of injuries and he wasn't over-weight. Plus they didn't want to deviate from their plan. One the Patriots took Easely in the 1st, I knew Nix would free fall and there had to be something wrong

To be honest with ya obese NT's that can hold there ground are a dime a dozen provided they have strength and are not just a ball of fat, The truely physically gifted NT's should be the ones to go early...Nix isn't on the level physically of a Dontari Poe. Star Lotuleilei or Ngata, Nix can provide you with a player that can push the pile but not alot else

Greg Toler was injured, Mark Sanchez & Blaine Gabbert could've picked Toler apart the way he was limping. Bad coaches decision to play him

But like we all saw week 7 vs Denver. When healthy, that secondary is top 10. It wasn't until the injury bug beat the Colts (as he usually does) that Denver started scoring

We stopped the most historical offense in NFL history, so I know we can stop anybody. Injuries just hate us. And the 1st Kansas city game we strapped them too. Like I said, injuries caught up. There's only 2 teams with enough depth to have the injuries we had & still get to their conference championship game & that's Seattle & San Francisco

You all sit back & talk about depth & say Seattle & San Francisco are so great but forget to realize they've been bottom feeding the last 6+ years. It's easy to get depth & top talent when you're picking top 10 in the draft consistently. Unless you're the Jags cause they just suck.

But point being, the 49ers & Seahawks took TIME to get to the talent their at. You all are too impatient, that's the problem. You can't build dynastys & championship teams overnight. Just doesn't happen.

2-14 2 years ago, we're not even supposed to be above 8-8 right now but we are with 2 playoff appearances. Some of you really need to slap yourselves & realize how truly blessed you are to be a fan of a team that turned it around all in ONE off-season when people had us only winning 3 games the year luck was drafted. We could easily be like the Browns or Jags and just have disappointing year after disappointing year.

But no, no one appreciates anything anymore these days. People are too ungrateful, just never satisfied with what they have. Always looking at what they don't have

:rantoff:

:colts:

*Drops Mic*

I couldn't have said it better. Thanks TKnight24!

ColtsHappy

Who cares what Kiper thinks

Before this draft even with the injuries this was a very good football team

It hung with a very solid team in the playoffs.... It beat both SB teams

This is important, because we didn't have 7 holes to fill... This was NOT a desperate draft

With the people coming back from injuries, removal of safety that had lost a few steps, removal of 2 very poor OL players, and the free agents, this team is a few notches better than the very good team from last year

Say it with me..... This was NOT a desperate draft for the Colts

If we were to trade all of our picks this year, we STILL would probably win 11 games or more this year

Do you remember the horrible Colts teams from the past that was looking to find 8 starters each draft???

That's not us anymore........ We can afford to find a starter or two and develop some players to start in following years

It's not rose colored glasses to intelligently draft for the future........

Remember, Reggie Wayne and Even P Manning even needed a year to get going

Just because you haven't heard of a player, doesn't mean that YOUR player, developed from reading internet inputs

makes it a poor draft

There are pre camp and post camp cuts coming up where we can better fill some of the holes that we might still have

The sky is not falling people............ Only the good Lord knows the future, but I think we will get 3-4 starters from this draft

Kiper said we should've drafted Trent Dilfer instead of going with Jim Harbaugh and drafting Marshall Faulk.

That's not actually true.  It was Trev Alberts that was picked instead of Trent Dilfer with the 5th overall pick.  Marshall Faulk was already a Colt with the #2 pick.   In hindsight the Trev Alberts picks was one of the worst Colts picks ever.

I don't care much for Kiper's opinions, however, what is evident is that the Colts had needs at Safety and depth at CB. Neither was addressed through the draft or through FA. That alone could justify the D+ grade. We're no better than at the end of last season in this regard. Actually, with Bethea gone, we're worse.

Of the 32 teams, he gave the Colts the worst grade. This should say something, despite whether you like or dislike Kiper.

That's not actually true. 

Oh yes it is. You simply choose to parse words, enabling you to be argumentative. Nevertheless the context of Kiper's disagreement was that we were going with Jim Harbaugh and not the player he deemed to be a "franchise QB". 

I don't care much for Kiper's opinions, however, what is evident is that the Colts had needs at Safety and depth at CB. Neither was addressed through the draft or through FA. That alone could justify the D+ grade. We're no better than at the end of last season in this regard. Actually, with Bethea gone, we're worse.

Of the 32 teams, he gave the Colts the worst grade. This should say something, despite whether you like or dislike Kiper.

Actually, it doesn't say anything

Oh yes it is. You simply choose to parse words, enabling you to be argumentative. Nevertheless the context of Kiper's disagreement was that we were going with Jim Harbaugh and not the player he deemed to be a "franchise QB". 

Maybe I mistook what you were trying to say.  It looked like you were saying that Kiper suggested that we pass on Faulk to choose Dilfer -- which is VERY different than saying that they should have passed on Alberts to draft Dilfer.  In either case, it's true that Kiper's argument was focused on Dilfer vs. Harbaugh and not so much about who we chose with the pick.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Maybe I mistook what you were trying to say.  It looked like you were saying that Kiper suggested that we pass on Faulk to choose Dilfer -- which is VERY different than saying that they should have passed on Alberts to draft Dilfer.  In either case, it's true that Kiper's argument was focused on Dilfer vs. Harbaugh and not so much about who we chose with the pick.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Okay. It does happen from time to time. I apologize if I came back over the top a little too harshly.

I don't care much for Kiper's opinions, however, what is evident is that the Colts had needs at Safety and depth at CB. Neither was addressed through the draft or through FA. That alone could justify the D+ grade. We're no better than at the end of last season in this regard. Actually, with Bethea gone, we're worse.

We agree to disagree

The question remains.... Where we drafted.... Late in the second round...... Was there a starting safety sitting there ?

Remember, Pags likes a safety that can both cover and support the run..... If you look at the safeties after the 4, they missed one or the other talent

The 2 Blue chippers at Safety were long gone........ The next 2, also long gone......

After that, you start to see depth players at the position

Do we get better by drafting a safety at our LATE second round pick, that may just be at the same level of what

we have already on the team? Or worse, maybe not quite as good....... Just because Mel Kiper thinks so?

If one of the 4 is there... You take them, but they weren't.

If that safety isn't there, you go with what you need next which is OL help

Several people inluding Mayock, rated our new OL right AT where we picked him up.

It wasn't a reach at all

Looking at this team, the one place I would add later IS Safety, there will be some veteran S available I am sure with the June 1 cuts and many Camp cuts that are more of a known quantity than a rookie S

We are going to be fine

Yes it does.

See how that works. Come back with a thoughtful response.

Delano Howell is very capable of averaging the same production as Bethea........If you look at last years averages.......Howell averaged 6.3 tackles in 3 starts.......Bethea 6.8 in 16 starts.....Bethea times his blitz better  but I'd argue that Howell will prove to show better hands then Bethea ever has had, Neither Bethea or Howell have been great open field tacklers however

Howell is largely unproven, but did well enough to get a shot

Just because he is unproven doesn't necessarily mean that he will fail

The "I can't believe we didn't draft a safety" crew should relax..........

Plenty of time to get a safety with the later cuts

Yes it does.

See how that works. Come back with a thoughtful response.

You don't warrant a thoughtful response.

This just in.....Mel Kiper is wrong a lot. There is a reason he always does a regrade a couple yrs later.

That D+ grade is crap I think no lower than a C+.

We agree to disagree

The question remains.... Where we drafted.... Late in the second round...... Was there a starting safety sitting there ?

Remember, Pags likes a safety that can both cover and support the run..... If you look at the safeties after the 4, they missed one or the other talent

The 2 Blue chippers at Safety were long gone........ The next 2, also long gone......

After that, you start to see depth players at the position

Do we get better by drafting a safety at our LATE second round pick, that may just be at the same level of what

we have already on the team? Or worse, maybe not quite as good....... Just because Mel Kiper thinks so?

If one of the 4 is there... You take them, but they weren't.

If that safety isn't there, you go with what you need next which is OL help

Several people inluding Mayock, rated our new OL right AT where we picked him up.

It wasn't a reach at all

Looking at this team, the one place I would add later IS Safety, there will be some veteran S available I am sure with the June 1 cuts and many Camp cuts that are more of a known quantity than a rookie S

We are going to be fine

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I agree with all that you have said, and completely agree that the right safety was not there for us in the draft. However, we would have to admit that during FA, we were hoping to get a safety and didn't. That was frustrating, and we thought "hey, at least we have the draft to address this issue." It wasn't addressed and we're now hoping for players to become available after cuts--not the best situation to be in, but we can make it work.

You don't warrant a thoughtful response.

This just in.....Mel Kiper is wrong a lot. There is a reason he always does a regrade a couple yrs later.

I don't warrant a response? or my opinions on the matter don't warrant a response?

Where has respect for others gone?

I don't warrant a response? or my opinions on the matter don't warrant a response?

Where has respect for others gone?

If u wanted one a more in depth explanation you should sparred me your smarta** response. See how that works?

Delano Howell is very capable of averaging the same production as Bethea........If you look at last years averages.......Howell averaged 6.3 tackles in 3 starts.......Bethea 6.8 in 16 starts.....Bethea times his blitz better  but I'd argue that Howell will prove to show better hands then Bethea ever has had, Neither Bethea or Howell have been great open field tacklers however

I don't worry about Howell's ability to play well, more his ability to stay on the field. I actually really like Howell.

I don't worry about Howell's ability to play well, more his ability to stay on the field. I actually really like Howell.

I worry about Howells open field tackling and his ability to recover when beatin deep, I dont think he has the ability to recover when beat

If u wanted one a more in depth explanation you should sparred me your smarta** response. See how that works?

Hold on, I should have spared you my smart @$$ response to your initial smart @$$ response? got it.

Let's move on. I apologize. I'm sure we can debate on other topics moving forward.

Hold on, I should have spared you my smart * response from your initial smart * response? got it.

Let's move on. I apologize. I'm sure we can debate on other topics moving forward.

My initial response wasn't meant to be smart at all. You yourself said you don't care for his opinions, so why does his grade say something?

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I agree with all that you have said, and completely agree that the right safety was not there for us in the draft. However, we would have to admit that during FA, we were hoping to get a safety and didn't. That was frustrating, and we thought "hey, at least we have the draft to address this issue." It wasn't addressed and we're now hoping for players to become available after cuts--not the best situation to be in, but we can make it work.

To be honest, I truly thought one of the 4 would have been available at our pick..... I was surprised

I could be wrong, and can't confirm it, but I think the Colts were also surprised as well

With the for sure safeties gone, they went with the next need.

My initial response wasn't meant to be smart at all. You yourself said you don't care for his opinions, so why does his grade say something?

If you want to discuss, I'd be more than happy to.

It says something because he didn't just give us a bad grade. That would've said he didn't like our picks.

He in fact gave us the worst grade of any team, meaning that he thought we made terrible picks, worse than any other team. Combine that with other outlets that have said similar things, it's quite possible that the Colts didn't have a good draft. of course, this all without actually seeing any of them play in the NFL, ( I get that).

I will gladly admit that this is all conjecture amongst so called analysts, but if it's so obvious to those who have no connection with the Colts, then it's likely they may see things differently than us Colts fans, who have to hope we made the best picks possible.

I just think Grigson played it too safe, he should have tried to hit home runs with the picks but instead he settled for singles. We're in a win now mode he should have drafted guys that would have an immediate impact this year. Every pick was developmental players and even Moncrief who i like, none of the players drafted will be starters. 

Terrence Brooks and Louis Nix were better players and at a bigger position of need then Mewhort imo. In the 5th, Seastrunk was on the board and was much higher rated then Newsome and would have helped because we have no speed at RB. Not drafting a CB in three years is disappointing given Tolers injury history.

If you want to discuss, I'd be more than happy to.

It says something because he didn't just give us a bad grade. That would've said he didn't like our picks.

He in fact gave us the worst grade of any team, meaning that he thought we made terrible picks, worse than any other team. Combine that with other outlets that have said similar things, it's quite possible that the Colts didn't have a good draft. of course, this all without actually seeing any of them play in the NFL, ( I get that).

I will gladly admit that this is all conjecture amongst so called analysts, but if it's so obvious to those who have no connection with the Colts, then it's likely they may see things differently than us Colts fans, who have to hope we made the best picks possible.

All the analysts giving the colts a bad grade might say something, but Kiper alone doesn't mean anything. I just don't understand you not respecting him, but then turning around and giving him credence. For the record, I am pretty "meh" about the draft.

Every year, most people hate the Colts draft choices, yet we continuously make the playoffs. Didn't 90% or more of the people here say "we have to fix our o-line."

We did just that, and peeps complain. Let's see how things work out. You might find out we did okay after all.

It was bad because there were guys in rounds 5-7 who fell 2 or more rounds that were great value that grigson didn't pick up. We could of got Skov instead of Jackson, "Tiny Richardson" instead of Uldrick John if you really wanted another Lineman, and there were better DE's than Newsome left and Newsome probably wasn't going to be drafted. Yes, the first two picks I really liked, however, they are "future" starters as you said. We shouldn't be drafting like the 49ers for depth when we aren't as good and have less picks. 

Wow, as much as it is mentioned and discussed - there is an important point here that so many seem to forget. Just because a guy might exhibit a bit more physicality or football IQ than another - primarily from a YouTube clip somewhere - or might garner more media attention than another - they have to be a proper fit in the COLTS locker room. They have to have the COLT family spirit - that "all for one" spirit of brotherhood that we all admire so much - and inspires us as fans.

They have to make sure the balance in the locker room is in sync - with the right combination of chiefs to indians. The mix can be a delicate stew - and too many cooks can easily spoil the broth. Some players just aren't a fit and the coaches and staff are the only ones qualified to make that determination.  The staff gets to know the players personally: OK, we all see he is potentially a great player -  but more importantly, would he be a great player for the COLTS? Will he fit in and enhance the locker room chemistry?

This is what the coaches and surrounding staff are REALLY paid to do.

Ease up, calm down - you will see.....

ColtsHappy

That D+ grade is crap I think no lower than a C+.

Yeah I scored it a B-. And TBH, I don't see what pick you could argue was bad given who was available at the time. There weren't any good pass rushers at 59, and all the good corners and safety's were gone.

Even in the 3rd, Moncrief was the best player regardless of position. I think the we did good considering we lacked a 1st round pick and we drafted at the bottom of every round. Personally, I don't think there was a better player on the board with most of our picks. Had we had our 1st round pick It would have looked the same except with a guy like Ward or Hageman added to the haul, which is a shame that Richardson cost us one of them.

It was a good draft but people's boards and rankings were so off. A lot of guys went a lot later than expected. That's where I think the dissatisfaction with our draft comes from with some people. No one wants to admit they were wrong. 

The people that "love" this draft must have rose-colored glasses on. Now I will hold off a year or 2 before "grading it" but don't expect good grades from analysts this week. 

I personally think we had one of the worst drafts this year. I was in shock of the picks that we made, except for Moncrief. But we don't even need a WR, like at all. We do however need CB/S (depth at least). I'm scared of our secondary, they have been ignored all offseason(except for re-signing Vontae) and it's going to come back to bite us.

I'm about ready for a new GM or at least new draft scouts because these guys have been TERRIBLE in early rounds the past 2 years. Late round picks are fine with me this year, look like they have great potential but really think drafting a CB or a safety could've made this draft look a lot better. We are not the 49ers, we can't just draft BPA everytime without addressing some key needs on this football team. 

Grigson addressed the Safety issue.  They didnt feel that anyone that was left on the board was any better than people they already had.  So why waste a draft pick on someone who probably wont any better at a position you already have covered.  I completely agree with this.

Kiper is a doofus. Lets look at the picks. They are all in areas of need. We only had 5 picks. All of the picks are guys that seem to have a nasty streak and Moncrief can flat out fly. he looks like a very possible replacement for Reggie Wayne and he fell to round 3. This guy could be the steal of the draft. The later picks, all need areas

Mel Kiper is a fraud anyway, so i don't take him too seriously. This guy mocked Jimmy Clausen as his number 4 talent (IN THE FIRST ROUND!) on his BIG BOARD,even though most scouts and pretty much everybody else had him pegged to go in the 4th or 5th. Why did he do this...you don't say? His GOOD BUDDY was Jimmy Clausen's agent...that's why. It was a scam to steal millions from some poor smuck that took him.

SORRY PATHER FAN'S.